Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Tamura
EDF Instructor

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

Post by Tamura »

Anyone else remember seeing the premiere on SciFi almost 13 years ago? I had an unwatchable cam bootleg for about a year so it was great to actually see the movie finally.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvqkma ... shortfilms

UltramanGoji
Justiriser

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yes indeed! It was shown in a marathon with Rebirth of Mothra 3 and GMK, right? I still have my old VHS recording of this somewhere.

JAGzilla
Keizer

Post by JAGzilla »

I probably saw part of it, too. I definitely saw it on SciFi right around that time, anyway. I'd had no idea the movie even existed, so I was pretty excited to stumble across it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

I think my first viewing was on Encore Action or some channel with a similar name.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

GargantuaTarantula
Samurai

Post by GargantuaTarantula »

Just saw this for the first time and honestly was a bit bored by it. The fights were great, I actually did like the female lead. The ending was super weird though. I should add that this was the dub I saw. Megaguirus isn't all that interesting to me, insect like kaiju are hit and miss with me. Overall it was okay for me.

American Godzilla
Monsterland Worker

Post by American Godzilla »

I really enjoyed the movie overall. I questioned the movie's "science" of the mini black hole as it did not sound like real black holes.

That said, the ending monster fight was the MOST ENJOYABLE and EXCITING fight I've ever seen! What a great back and forth between the two :D
I'm a believe of God and Jesus Christ my saviour and not afraid to say so.
Although I'm not against giving freedom to same-sex couples/marriage (as America is supposed to be free), as a Christian (which the Bible describes as a sin) and me personally I don't care/desire/agree with same sex couples/marriage.

akanes_kiryu
Interpol Agent

Post by akanes_kiryu »

Tamura wrote:Anyone else remember seeing the premiere on SciFi almost 13 years ago? I had an unwatchable cam bootleg for about a year so it was great to actually see the movie finally.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvqkma ... shortfilms
Really? I had a widescreen fansubbed bootleg VHS that I got not long after the Japanese home video release. It even included a CD-R of the film's soundtrack.
PSN: soilsongs

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

This has to be the worst of the millennium series! The effects are so rushed, and the lighting for the sets is so bad!
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

akanes_kiryu
Interpol Agent

Post by akanes_kiryu »

I've never really understood why this film is so hated. It's just a lot fun to me.

UltramanGoji
Justiriser

Post by UltramanGoji »

None of the characters are really compelling or likeable enough (GXMG has a much better female protagonist in Akane) and the film runs at a very slow pace. Godzilla and Megaguirus don't really do much in the film until the final act. It's too long of a buildup for too little of a payout.

The music and the overall concept and design of Megaguirus are great, but it's wasted on a slow and mediocre film. Not the worst in the franchise, but far from enjoyable.

akanes_kiryu
Interpol Agent

Post by akanes_kiryu »

UltramanGoji wrote:None of the characters are really compelling or likeable enough (GXMG has a much better female protagonist in Akane) and the film runs at a very slow pace. Godzilla and Megaguirus don't really do much in the film until the final act. It's too long of a buildup for too little of a payout.

The music and the overall concept and design of Megaguirus are great, but it's wasted on a slow and mediocre film. Not the worst in the franchise, but far from enjoyable.
Fair enough. I'll admit it's not high tier or even mid tier, but I just have a lot of fun with it. Really there's only a handful of films in the series I'd call "bad". (Final Wars, Tokyo SOS, Mothra '92).

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I was just thinking a Godzilla movie with more focus on that inter-dimensional aspect might've been interesting. It isn't a very original idea, although what if they were going to use Dimension Tide to send Godzilla to another dimension only to do the reverse and pull monsters from another dimension into this dimension, sort of Mist/Pacific Rim style?
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

It would be a larger sci fi concept, and I could see some potential in it. However, I think the film makers were going for a more realistic sounding weapon.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Realistic being a... relative term.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

JetrellFo
Samurai

Post by JetrellFo »

UltramanGoji wrote:Yes indeed! It was shown in a marathon with Rebirth of Mothra 3 and GMK, right? I still have my old VHS recording of this somewhere.
Did you ever have this transferred to DVD? It would make a nice nostalgia archive piece for sure.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Right now, my 2-and-a-half-year-old is loving 'the bad buggy and the dinosaur!' We're watching the ending fight for the second time in a row.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

UltramanGoji
Justiriser

Post by UltramanGoji »

JetrellFo wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Yes indeed! It was shown in a marathon with Rebirth of Mothra 3 and GMK, right? I still have my old VHS recording of this somewhere.
Did you ever have this transferred to DVD? It would make a nice nostalgia archive piece for sure.
Don't have the means to transfer VHS tapes, but I'd love to someday. :)

JetrellFo
Samurai

Post by JetrellFo »

UltramanGoji wrote:
JetrellFo wrote:
Don't have the means to transfer VHS tapes, but I'd love to someday. :)
If you even consider loaning it out for transfer, drop me a note, I've done a fair amount of my own Godzilla VHS tapes and they've turned out really nice.

:)

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

The movie it's lame in some parts, and the pseudo-science defines a new level of pseudo-science, but Megaguirus it's awesome, she's my third favorite kaiju. And the soundtrack it's cool, they even recicled it for GaMG and Tokyo S.O.S.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

MechaGoji Bro7503

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I enjoy this movie, its not that bad imo. The final battle has got to be one of the best in the whole series. The characters can be dull at times, and the cgi is definitely poor at times. That whole animated computer sequence is cringy. Megaguirus is interesting, definitely one of my favorite Godzilla foes. Godzilla himself is awesome. I love how he outsmarts Megaguirus a few times. Overall 7/10.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.