How will you organize your Godzilla movies?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Camdigidy
GPN Volunteer

How will you organize your Godzilla movies?

Post by Camdigidy »

I'm sure we all proudly display our Godzilla movies on a shelf. And I'm sure the most common order they are put in is chronological.
But I was curious how other people will have them displayed by the time Legendary's GODZILLA 2 comes out on home release.
The fact that we have two separate series going on causes a minor issue. It would feel weird to me if my Godzilla movies went Godzilla 14, Shin Godzilla, Godzilla anime, Godzilla 2, Shin Godzilla 2 (maybe), Godzilla vs Kong. And then would I put Kong: Skull Island in there too since it's in continuity?

Or am I thinking way too much I to this?

But I am curious how other display their G movies.

Last edited by Camdigidy on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my custom Godzilla blu-ray covers on my DeviantArt: https://grandkeizerghidorah.deviantart.com/

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: How will you organize your Godzilla movies?

Post by Terasawa »

Chronologically, American films included. I'm aware that will put several films between Godzilla ('14) and its eventual sequel but I don't care. I can't imagine having Skull Island in there since that's not a Godzilla movie.

So basically: ...GFW, G14, Shin Godzilla, Godzilla (anime), then whatever's next.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Terasawa wrote:Chronologically, American films included. I'm aware that will put several films between Godzilla ('14) and its eventual sequel but I don't care. I can't imagine having Skull Island in there since that's not a Godzilla movie.

So basically: ...GFW, G14, Shin Godzilla, Godzilla (anime), then whatever's next.
Basically this. I include fellow Japanese giant monster movies with the Godzilla movies, but in their own mini section afterwards.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I don't own a copy of GINO. Never will own a copy of GINO. So the American films really won't factor into how I display my Godzilla DVDs and blurays. Basically, the way it is now is; all the Toho-released blurays from '54 to GFW followed by all American DVD/bluray releases in chronological order (or as close to it as possible thanks to the Sony double features) and finally G'14.

I'll end up buying the Japanese AND American releases of Shin Godzilla, but both will go after GFW. The American films exists secondary to the Toho films to me, and thats how they'll be represented in my collection. Except GINO. GINO SUCKS.

Camdigidy
GPN Volunteer

Post by Camdigidy »

I like that idea, having the US productions sit after the latest Japanese productions. Or I could put them on the shelf below.
Check out my custom Godzilla blu-ray covers on my DeviantArt: https://grandkeizerghidorah.deviantart.com/

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Camdigidy wrote: Image
Wow, I love those covers.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Stacked lazily in a shoebox under the headboard of my bed with a bunch of unrelated DVDs.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Camdigidy wrote: Image
Ditto! Where did you get them?

akanes_kiryu
Interpol Agent

Post by akanes_kiryu »

I have all the Toho kaiju films (and their American adaptations) in release order. There's another smaller section that has Ultraman, Gamera, Daimajin and The X from Outer Space on the shelf underneath, with each series organized the same way as the Toho section.

(I also own the Classic Media Godzilla Collection so I made fake Sharpie covers since I couldn't find scans of the individual releases or custom covers I liked enough to print.)
PSN: soilsongs

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I have my own seperate kaiju section. Everything is in chronological order separated by franchise and era. First is Gamera, then standalone Toho kaiju films, then Godzilla films.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Every DVD/Blu-Ray is in alphabetical order...except for when you get to G, then the Godzilla films are all chronological. Same goes for other series like Friday the 13th, Alien, Ray Harryhausen films, and King Kong.
G1985 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Camdigidy wrote:
Ditto! Where did you get them?
Double ditto! (Tritto?) Love the uniform look to them. Would love to use them for my own collection.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Camdigidy
GPN Volunteer

Post by Camdigidy »

I'm diggin the responses.
To anyone interested in the covers; those are my own custom covers.
Around the time Sony released their double feature blu-rays, I began printing other custom covers online. Then I decided to make my own and have them all be a uniform set. I'm pretty happy with them.
If you'd like to see them and more, here is my deviant art gallery:

http://grandkeizerghidorah.deviantart.com/gallery/

And if you like them and you're interested in using them yourself, I urge you to hold out for a short while as I am working on new versions that I think look alot more legit and interesting.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I have a cubby below my TV that I keep all my kaiju eiga collection. I organize it by Godzilla then all the other stuff. I also have VHS tapes but those are in the garage (and for sale if anyone wants them!)

SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Camdigidy wrote:I'm diggin the responses.
Around the time Sony released their double feature blu-rays, I began printing other custom covers online. Then I decided to make my own and have them all be a uniform set. I'm pretty happy with them.

And if you like them and you're interested in using them yourself, I urge you to hold out for a short while as I am working on new versions that I think look alot more legit and interesting.
Top shelf!

Excited to see the updated versions. You should consider making a thread on the boards if you haven't already.

Camdigidy
GPN Volunteer

Post by Camdigidy »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Camdigidy wrote:I'm diggin the responses.

Top shelf!

Excited to see the updated versions. You should consider making a thread on the boards if you haven't already.

Thanks, dude! I may do that. I just saw a thread for custom covers today. I'll also have some classy sleeve covers as well done by someone who liked my covers. I'm working my way up and I'm on Godzilla vs Mothra '92. Shouldn't be too much longer.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

My collection is organized with Toho Godzilla films, Toho Godzilla shows (Zone Fighter, Godzilla Island), American Godzilla (HB cartoon, G98, GtS, G14), and then other Toho kaiju films. DVDs first, and then Blu-rays.

Last year I did divide the films and shows separate, but decided I didn't really want Shin Godzilla between the two Legendary installments. If something like Wolfman vs Godzilla got a home video release, I would probably put it with the non-Toho Godzilla films.

Kong Skull Island goes with the other Kong movies, but I leave King Kong Escapes with other Toho kaiju films. Don't really have a solid reason as to why.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I do chronological and wasn't planning to do anything different with the upcoming releases, but now that you've brought up Kong: Skull Island...Hm.

Well, my biggest question about K:SI is whether or not Godzilla gets a cameo (in, if anything, a post-credit sequence) because, if so, that changes the calculus. Godzilla has (as far as I'm aware) never been featured in a canon cameo before (at least, a cameo relevant to any Godzilla films). If Godzilla DOES make an appearance of some kind in K:SI, then I'd have to choose among:

1. Legendary Godzilla stays with Godzilla films, chronological order; K:SI with Kong films, chronological order (how I do it now).
2. K:SI included with Godzilla films, chronological order (what I do with KKvG, counting that as a Godzilla movie rather than a Kong movie).
3. Legendary films separated out from both Godzilla AND Kong (probably filed under "L", as my whole DVD/BD collection is generally alphabetical).

#3 may end up being the long-run result if any non-Godzilla/non-Kong films get added to the cinematic universe (my money has always been on 2018's Rampage, if anything).

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I mix and match my Toho monster movies together with Godzilla, chronological order... as best as I can... *glares daggers at Rodan/War of the Gargantuas*
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Camdigidy
GPN Volunteer

Post by Camdigidy »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I mix and match my Toho monster movies together with Godzilla, chronological order... as best as I can... *glares daggers at Rodan/War of the Gargantuas*
I felt the same way about Sony's Destoroyah/ Megaguiras combo! That's what made me look up fan made covers.
But I haven't looked for covers for Rodan/Gargantuas because Classic Media made such a beautiful dvd case. I couldn't replace that.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I mix and match my Toho monster movies together with Godzilla, chronological order... as best as I can... *glares daggers at Rodan/War of the Gargantuas*
You think that's bad? What about half the Showa era in the Classic Media box set? ;)

I basically go with chronological order, based on the earliest movie in any given box set or two-pack. It's kind of mess. :(
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!