Monster Discussion #72: Baragon

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
gigan72
Keizer

Monster Discussion #72: Baragon

Post by gigan72 »

Resized Image
Discuss the Millennium incarnation of Baragon here. This version of Baragon appeared in the 2001 film Godzilla Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Re: Monster Discussion #72: Baragon

Post by Dannybeane »

Baragon was one of the few things I liked about GMK. It was the best suit in my opinion. I loved his scrappy under dog personality. He was cute in a sympathetic sort of way. He is one of the few kaiju of the later series that I feel completely improved on his showa counterpart. I only wish he was able to have kept his flame thrower breath.

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

I've always preferred the Showa Baragon, but I probably would've liked this guy a bit more if he had his breath.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

GMK Baragon is tight as fuck and he's a cutie (and one of the few kaiju played by a female stunt actress).

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Space Hunter M wrote:(and one of the few kaiju played by a female stunt actress).
That's really fascinating. Do you the others?
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GalacticPetey wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:(and one of the few kaiju played by a female stunt actress).
I know Heisei Gyaos was the first kaiju to be played by a woman, but I don't know if there's any others.

StAiRcAsE KiTtY
Terminated
Terminated

Post by StAiRcAsE KiTtY »

This is one of those times I prefer the Showa version of the character. I don't know what it is, if its the more red coloration or the "cute" factor, but I just don't care for the 2001 Baragon.
You want a battle...
Here's a war!

RIP, Judas. An amazing idea, gone before it was created.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

Staircase Kitty wrote:This is one of those times I prefer the Showa version of the character. I don't know what it is, if its the more red coloration or the "cute" factor, but I just don't care for the 2001 Baragon.
Showa is cuter, though...
Monsters are the real people.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

This incarnation had some real chutzpah. I like the Showa version, but this one is a memorable kaiju. It gave Godzilla the best fight of the three, even if it was a curbstomp.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Like this version more than the Showa incarnation, despite the lack of a projectile. The design is great, and its unwavering tenacity makes it a memorable kaiju. Its roar is also awesome.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

One of my favorite monsters of the Millenium era, bar Godzilla. He had a decent role on the movie he appeared in after many years of not being in one. His Showa while cuter, it isn't as fierce looking and mammal-like unlike this one. The ears are more accentuated on the Millenium look of Baragon.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Neogeddon
Interpol Agent

Post by Neogeddon »

Cute as hell. The lack of a breath weapon doesn't bother me much because I'm partial to "natural" type Kaiju like Anguirus and (most versions of) Rodan. His roar is also really cool. Sounds like it's sampled from something I've heard before, but I dunno what. It's too bad he gets killed off early.

Also, this.
✧ ★ ✦ ★ ✦ ★ ✧
ImageImage

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

So I was doing some translations, and noticed that GMK Baragon is often referred to as "婆羅護吽" in some merchandise. Would anyone happen to know what kind of title that is...?
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

GigaBowserG wrote:So I was doing some translations, and noticed that GMK Baragon is often referred to as "婆羅護吽" in some merchandise. Would anyone happen to know what kind of title that is...?
I'm pretty sure that's Baragon rendered phonetically in ateji.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ateji

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

UltramanGoji wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:
I know Heisei Gyaos was the first kaiju to be played by a woman, but I don't know if there's any others.
GalacticPetey wrote:
Actually wrong.
Mother of Ultra was played by a woman after he first appearance in the two part episode of LiveKing and Cosmo Liquid in Ultraman Taro. The actor was left uncreddited to 'not ruin the dreams of children'.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

Great update/retooling of the character. Makes me wonder what kind of magic they could have done with wn updated Varan, but I digress. Only thing that bothers me about it is the neckline, which im assuming is housing a (badly hidden) zipper.
Member of TK Since 2006

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Probably my favorite update of a Showa kaiju. He's got a really good design and a feisty personality. I do miss the heat beam (plus this incarnation of the character is a mystical being, so not having a power of somekind is odd) and I think he's taken out of the film too early, but those are the only points I could complain about.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

I prefer this incarnation over the Showa one. He looks cooler, has a different roar than Varan and those ears! The only thing I don't like about him is he lost his heat ray.
Resized Image

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

The Milennium Baragon is pretty sweet indeed! Gotta love his color, his angry guard dog look and his brave personality, he sure put up quite a good fight with Godzilla even if he got beaten rather quickly. Him not having any breath is indeed odd, considering he's a mythical being in this movie, but not a big deal, cause tooth and claw kaiju are always welcome.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

They should make a Lassie-styled show...but instead of Lassie...it should be Baragon.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!