Attack On Titan: The Movie

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Re: Attack On Titan: The Movie

Post by g2vd »

Jomei thought Part 2 was terrible.
Attack on Titan live action part two. It sucked in different ways from the first, so it had variety going for it. This time there was hardly any of the normal titan gore, which was a plus in that it got away from those ugly things I hated in the first film but bad in that it features a lot more blah blah blah, a flaw the Japanese people I saw the movie with also noticed. It's just plain a very talky movie, but not in an interesting way with good dialogue.

The other elephant in the room is... well, a very bizarre scene in a bizarre room with a jukebox. No, I'm not kidding. It's perhaps even more baffling than the sex scene in the middle of a kyojin war zone from the first film, but I can't say too much without spoilers.

I can't say much good about it, honestly. Not everything was outright bad, but the whole thing comes together poorly. I found myself really liking the female character they created by the end of it. She's funny and different and played by a very cute actress, but her comedy just doesn't mesh with the film whatsoever. They even accompany her antics with the very same melodramatic music, having her act like a goofball anime character while the mood created by every other element of the film is somber.

I will say that the spider-man moves, what little there were in this one, looked better than in the first movie.
Godzilla

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Post by Janjira54 »

He also hated the first one, while I loved it. I'm still excited

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

So what's the deal with the sequel? I thought it was going to come out this month
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Well it's Attack on Titan's American theater day! Anyone else see it?

There are some good parts. It's clear right away that it's a more ambitious, larger scale production that leads to visuals which certainly give a sense of scale to everything. The tone of the film once the Titans are on screen is also intense and brooding, just as it should be. It's also brutal when it needs to be, which gives it that "edge" that I think is important for the franchise. I can't make up my mind on whether or not the Titans themselves are portrayed well. They have those crazy faces! As for the Colossal Titan, it similarly looks okay. It could have looked better I imagine, but it also could have looked worse so it is what it is. I don't entirely mind the universe being more advanced and modern than the one we saw in the anime. I'd prefer something to be as close to the original source as possible, but all things considered that's the least of my concerns. Unfortunately there are some significant downsides. For one thing, the characters at times are trying to be so dramatic in their moment that it took my out of the movie and seemed.....cheesy-soapy. And multiple times the music just seemed weird and ill fitting. And maybe it's just me, but some of the dialogue was questionable too, or maybe it was just the delivery again. I don't know, some of it just seemed forced and out of step with such a high end film such as this one. Maybe it's that part of this felt like it was actually trying to create the sense of being a live action anime (the irony is not lost on me), but what works for an anime doesn't work in LA. There's something to enjoy in Attack on Titan from the aspect of a kaiju film. However, I certainly wouldn't say it was as well-rounded as Pacific Rim or Godzilla, both of which were imperfect themselves. I'm not making the comparison from a budgetary standpoint, as that's terribly unfair. I'm just speaking as an overall film and how it comes together. One last thing: couldn't they have adapted more of the anime to this film? This is something like 90-100 minutes long, so it's fairly short. Giving it the following score could be slightly generous, but I am a kaiju enthusiast so I do still derive more enjoyment from it than would most people. They had a great opportunity IMO, but my speculation on its under-performing in Japan was based on it deviating significantly from the source material without resulting in a particularly decent film. I also remain confident that the right talent could produce a great Hollywood Attack on Titan film, though its lack of huge box office success in Japan may further discourage an American studio from trying it out.
5/10
Lain Of The Wired wrote:So what's the deal with the sequel? I thought it was going to come out this month
You mean in Japan? It did.
“No Longer Heroine” bumped “Attack on Titan: End of the World,” the second of a two-part action/fantasy epic, distributed by Toho, after only one week at No. 1. Playing on 427 screens, the film took in $1.3 million from 112,487 admissions, compared with $2.7 million from 237,016 tickets for its opening frame. Even this latter figure was down 45.7% from the opening weekend of the first film, which bowed on Aug. 1.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/no-lo ... 201603779/
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Post by Janjira54 »

The CT design is just so well done in my opinion

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Saw it, had fun.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

I'll just copy and paste my thoughts on here from the Media Center:

Attack On Titan: Part 1 (2015)

A decent, but flawed movie. Good special effects, decent acting, and a story that's okay in some areas, but not in others. I know that movie adaptions of other source materials aren't 100% accurate, so I was forgiving of most of the plot changes. The main change I wasn't happy with was the removal of other main characters like Anne and the Armored Titan, though I feel that they will appear in the sequel. Most plot points were present, but were scrambled around probably for time constraints, like Armin showing Mikasa Eren's arm in the same fashion as the scout showing a mother her son's arm in the Anime. The special effects were good for about 90% of the time. The main problems to me were a majority of the green screen shots, like Eren attacking the titans with his ODM gear. My favorite scenes were definitely most of the titan scenes and the Rouge Titan scene was pure fun. The acting wasn't really a problem for me because I've much worse.

Thankfully I read some reviews and knew that this was coming. Out of everything in the whole movie, the scene that was the most ridiculous was the scene between Eren and Hiana. It was out of nowhere and pointless. Most of the people were laughing in the theater during this.

Overall. this wasn't terrible, but it could have been better. I found it good enough to warrant a purchase when it hits Blu-Ray.

3.5/5
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Anyone else following this movie's financial performance? What a huge disappointment this has to be for Toho. This is another G98: huge potential withered away by sheer mediocrity, followed by lukewarm critical reception and some disappointed fanbases. Maybe a better comparison is GFW. Big budget, big scale, but it was an uphill battle when the movie itself didn't stack up (though AoT on its own should be able to pay its bills unlike GFW). Surprising too, because I expected this to perform much better. Then again, I also expected (who knows why) that the movie itself would be better, so there's that.
고질라

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Post by Janjira54 »

People just love to hop on the hate bandwagon

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

I did see this on the last day it showed, and there was actually a bit of a crowd. I expected there to be 4-5 people, counting me and my stepdad. I really enjoyed it. I loved the Titan scenes, especially the Rogue Titan scene. The part where the humans were trying to get to Omote City (I think that's the name) was cool as well.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Post by Janjira54 »

I saw it 2 times in theaters last weekend. Awesome experience to watch a Toho movie in a american theater. Can't wait for End of The World

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

Hey guys, how is the nudity/sexual content in Part 2? Being in the 13-17 year old range, my parents don't allow me to see stuff with sex (Actual sex scenes, not just the kissing) and/or nudity (not like people half-nude, when boobs and stuff start showing). They weren't enthusiastic that I was going to see Part 1 (Yes, there was the top of Sasha (I think)'s boob shown when she tried to have sex with Eren) due to the sexual scene. And if there actually was a sex scene or something like that, we (I went with my stepdad) were going to leave the theater. I don't want that to happen during Part 2.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Post by Janjira54 »

Kaijunator wrote:Hey guys, how is the nudity/sexual content in Part 2? Being in the 13-17 year old range, my parents don't allow me to see stuff with sex (Actual sex scenes, not just the kissing) and/or nudity (not like people half-nude, when boobs and stuff start showing). They weren't enthusiastic that I was going to see Part 1 (Yes, there was the top of Sasha (I think)'s boob shown when she tried to have sex with Eren) due to the sexual scene. And if there actually was a sex scene or something like that, we (I went with my stepdad) were going to leave the theater. I don't want that to happen during Part 2.
Nothing that I know of, besides a kiss.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

Part 2 is out in US theaters!

Anyone know the DVD release date? It seems highly unlikely that I'll get to see it.

parental issues.
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Kaijunator wrote:Part 2 is out in US theaters!

Anyone know the DVD release date? It seems highly unlikely that I'll get to see it.
FUNimation hasn't announced when they plan on releasing the LA films to the US. If they do it similarly to the latest DBZ movie, it should be a couple of months, or three. But that's just speculation. Resurrection F was in US theaters in August and it was just released to home media today.
고질라

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Kaijunator wrote:Part 2 is out in US theaters!

FUNimation hasn't announced when they plan on releasing the LA films to the US. If they do it similarly to the latest DBZ movie, it should be a couple of months, or three. But that's just speculation. Resurrection F was in US theaters in August and it was just released to home media today.
고질라

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

I wonder if I should see it for ironic purposes. Fandom reaction has been almost universally negative, so I'm wondering if I'll laugh at it or if it will just make me angry.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Well, I saw the last part. On the same level as the first, which means a mix of good and bad, though lacking some of the intensity of the first part
Spoiler:
(probably because there's little of the conventional Titans in this film)
. Colossal Titan is easily the special effects highlight compared to all of the other Titans. And the battles are fairly cool. I maintain that Godzilla's suit could look better and more convincing than these by virtue of its more reptilian design. Downsides include the absurd, overacted moments that occasionally can be amusing but on whole remove me from the actual movie itself. Take Miura as an example. He's a talented actor. I saw him in The Hours of My Life. But the actors in this movie at times seem to think they're supposed to be spoofing a franchise rather than re-adapting it. Mizuhara's Mikasa is another example. For most of this movie, was it just me was she given basically nothing to do aside from stand around with her head down looking dejected? And the
Spoiler:
jukebox scene was just.....wow. Could they not think of any other way to present the exposition or what?
It really is, as I've been thinking, what GFW is to the Godzilla franchise. There's a level of intended or unintended goofiness to it that makes me wonder if the talent involved really loved the source material. There's just no grace to the movie's story. It stumbles around and doesn't seem to realize its oddities. As it all comes together, kaiju fans will probably enjoy the Titan aspect of the movie. As an adaptation of Attack on Titan, it is basically a disappointment given how much better it could have been. As a sci-fi movie in general, it's similarly "meh" at best. I would say most people would think of it as being comparable to Jupiter Ascending, something with an interesting premise and certain enjoyment (IMO) but tremendously inconsistent screenplay that's all over the place. We'll see what that means for Toho's Godzilla overall. Effects aren't so much my concern as the right screenplay and director will be.
4.5/10
Kaijunator wrote:Hey guys, how is the nudity/sexual content in Part 2? Being in the 13-17 year old range, my parents don't allow me to see stuff with sex (Actual sex scenes, not just the kissing) and/or nudity (not like people half-nude, when boobs and stuff start showing). They weren't enthusiastic that I was going to see Part 1 (Yes, there was the top of Sasha (I think)'s boob shown when she tried to have sex with Eren) due to the sexual scene. And if there actually was a sex scene or something like that, we (I went with my stepdad) were going to leave the theater. I don't want that to happen during Part 2.
I didn't notice anything, so you should be okay.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 8 times in total.
고질라

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Last edited by BlankAccount on Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

What exactly is the jukebox scene? Jomei also mentioned that it was extremely weird.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.