Importing King Kong vs. Godzilla?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Pkmatrix
Futurian

Importing King Kong vs. Godzilla?

Post by Pkmatrix »

I'm interesting in buying a copy of the Japanese cut of King Kong vs. Godzilla. What release should I go for? Are there any foreign releases with English subtitles, or should I just expect it to be Japanese-only no matter where I buy it?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Importing King Kong vs. Godzilla?

Post by Legion1979 »

If you want an official release you have no choice but to buy the Japanese bluray, which doesn't have subtitles.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Legion1979 wrote:If you want an official release you have no choice but to buy the Japanese bluray, which doesn't have subtitles.
And even if you DO go with an unofficial release, you get the VDK subs, which don't really translate the dialogue at all and just bullshit half the lines.

The Japanese BD is okay for its wealth of audio options, but it has awful brown grading and still uses the LD transfer for four minutes of the first reel.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Ah, okay, I figured the Toho BD would be the best official release. I was just hoping there'd also be an official Australian or Singaporean release with English subs I might be able to pick up instead, but since that seems not to be the case I'll just go get the Toho BD. Thanks! :)

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

I bought DVDR from ebay a few years back and the quality was immaculate. Also the subtitles appeared to be on point, kinda harsher dialogue than the US dub but on point.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

No matter how "immaculate" it was, a DVD-R bootleg sourced from the R2 DVD is still not a better option than an official HD release featuring a (mostly) new scan, despite that new transfer's problems. The subtitles had to be the VDK ones (which are the only ones in circulation), which like SPM mentioned, are not exactly good.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Are the VDK subs sourced from James Ballard's Tokyo Monsters subbs? When I purchased the R2 DVD 11 years ago I reburnt it using those subs and they where good.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Goji wrote:No matter how "immaculate" it was, a DVD-R bootleg sourced from the R2 DVD is still not a better option than an official HD release featuring a (mostly) new scan, despite that new transfer's problems
Supposedly you can mention these "official HD release" alternatives?

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

ILL GREEN wrote:
Goji wrote:No matter how "immaculate" it was, a DVD-R bootleg sourced from the R2 DVD is still not a better option than an official HD release featuring a (mostly) new scan, despite that new transfer's problems
Supposedly you can mention these "official HD release" alternatives?
lol can you not spot the multiple references to the Region A Japanese BD release in previous posts?
gvamp wrote: Are the VDK subs sourced from James Ballard's Tokyo Monsters subbs? When I purchased the R2 DVD 11 years ago I reburnt it using those subs and they where good.
And I explained why they aren't. They aren't a representation of what's actually said whatsoever.
Shinichi Sekizawa wrote:Lately, it seems that the sea level has risen considerably. This is caused by the melting of ice in the Arctic. But why is the ice melting? To find the answer, let's have a look at this chart.
VDK wrote:Until recently, it was thought that we came from a combination of amino acids. This caused life to form at the beginning of time. But, why did it begin this way? Please focus on the picture over there...

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Space Hunter M wrote:
Shinichi Sekizawa wrote:Lately, it seems that the sea level has risen considerably. This is caused by the melting of ice in the Arctic. But why is the ice melting? To find the answer, let's have a look at this chart.
VDK wrote:Until recently, it was thought that we came from a combination of amino acids. This caused life to form at the beginning of time. But, why did it begin this way? Please focus on the picture over there...
... Well, that's a night and day difference. :dizzy:
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

ILL GREEN wrote: Supposedly you can mention these "official HD release" alternatives?
..What? I'm obviously talking about the Japanese Blu-ray release from last year.
Last edited by Goji on Sun May 20, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Space Hunter M wrote:
gvamp wrote: Are the VDK subs sourced from James Ballard's Tokyo Monsters subbs? When I purchased the R2 DVD 11 years ago I reburnt it using those subs and they where good.
And I explained why they aren't. They aren't a representation of what's actually said whatsoever.
So, that section was just translated afresh to make that comparison, but is the only section that has been?
Last edited by Zarm on Sun May 20, 2018 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MechaMinya
Yojimbo

Post by MechaMinya »

I just ordered the official Toho Blu-ray. From where can I find an accurate translation in English? I would like to follow along while watching. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide!