Complete english copy of Frankenstein Conquers the World?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Complete english copy of Frankenstein Conquers the World?

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Hi there. I was wondering whether there is a complete copy of AIP version of Frankenstein Conquers the World. By this, I mean a version of the film that exists which includes the extra scenes featuring Frankenstein that weren't included in the Media Blasters release of the film. I vaguely remember mention of a German DVD that featured these extra Franky scenes in scope, but I don't remember where I heard that. Thanks!
Last edited by GodzillaFanatic2001 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Complete english copy of Frankenstein Conquers the World

Post by Goji »

The German DVD has the scenes intact, yes. If you want a copy of the AIP version in English, you'd have to acquire an old TV recording, or the 16mm-sourced boot that's been floating around for a while on the grey market. It was unfortunately never released on home video.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

I'm suprised that no one has tried to sync the original AIP dub with the German releases visuals. I would, but I have no editing skill, so it would be far from good. :/
Last edited by GodzillaFanatic2001 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HayesAJones wrote:

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:I'm supprised that no one has tried to sync the original AIP dub with the German releases visuals. I would, but I have no editing skill, so it would be far from good. :/

Edit: Jut read somewhere else that Tamura was going to attempt to sync the dubbing to the German DVD, but found it to challenging. That sucks... ( by the way, that in no way is meant as a demerit ( for lack of a better word) for Tamura, his KKvsG reconstruction was great!)
I'm guessing that's because of the difference in video standards. The German DVD is PAL, while in the source for the dub is likely NTSC. But that's just speculation on my part.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Things preventing a definitive FCTW reconstruction include:
  • No good looking source for Japanese theatrical version for the main video as yet. The R2 is garbage by today's standards (as is its LD sourced sinkhole ending), and the only currently available recording of the November 2014 HDTV broadcast is entirely unusable (zero SD resolution, let alone HD), so this thing can't get off the ground at all until Toho Visual plops out the film's BD release. The German sinkhole ending also looks pretty terrible.

16mm copy is film chained, not telecined. Perfect synchronization of audio has already proven to be a monumental pain.

German theatrical print sourced extended shots aren't perfect by any stretch. They're actually pretty splicy, so missing frames would have to be patched with the UPA version/16mm print by abruptly switching to a different aspect ratio. I may add they're mastered pretty badly and look like shit.

German DVD recreates most of the location titles instead of just scanning them. While these aren't that awful, they're still not perfect.

The full Japanese DVD of the shitty MonstersHD master with some of the original location titles (cropped to hell for some reason) is super rare. Wouldn't be that much of a help aside from those, however.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Are all the cut scenes on the Media Blasters DVD as extras? I know the scenes of Frankenstein picking up the police car and throwing it is on there, anything else?
HayesAJones wrote:

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

There are some added shots of rubble falling on a police officer when Franky is busting through the building door, but that's about it IIRC.

Didn't realize the German DVD *also* recreated (some of) the location cards. Lame.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

I'm fairly certain I have a bootlegged copy of this. All the deleted footage on the MB DVD is in the actual film and it has some different titles and things.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

gigan72 wrote:I'm fairly certain I have a bootlegged copy of this. All the deleted footage on the MB DVD is in the actual film and it has some different titles and things.
Really! Do you know any specifics? Apart from from deleted the car throwing scene, and a short military montage that I saw on YouTube, I wasn't aware of different titles. By this, do you mean the title cards?
Last edited by GodzillaFanatic2001 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HayesAJones wrote:

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

There is no other title card. The AIP version is the only English version of the film. As far as we know, Toho never produced an internafional version, since evidence of one has never surfaced.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

I definitely have a bootleg, but I think it may be a reconstruction to some extent. After reading this thread and taking a closer look while watching the movie, I notice some scenes are a little darker than they should be, and abruptly change from a bright scene to a shot in the same scene a few shades darker (though it is not that noticeable, you really have to be paying attention to notice the sudden change), and it has the octopus ending spliced into the actual movie, right after Frankenstein kills Baragon. I'll have to look at the second disc I got that has the English version, it's just I have this thing where I don't like dubs anymore, and I only watch the Japanese versions because I see them as superior to their English versions (which to some extent, they should be regarded as such).
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

Goji wrote:There is no other title card. The AIP version is the only English version of the film. As far as we know, Toho never produced an internafional version, since evidence of one has never surfaced.
I was trying to say that the some things are slightly different on mine, as the part where it says 1945 has a different bomb image than that in the MB DVD. I haven't watched either in a while, but I remember that one.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Missingno. wrote: I only watch the Japanese versions because I see them as superior to their English versions (which to some extent, they should be regarded as such).
I'm not going to get into a dubs vs. subs debate here, but that's kind of ironic considering you're completely missing Nick Adams' performance when watching FvsB in Japanese, since he's dubbed-over in Toho's cut.

GODZILLA 2000 is also a prime example of an English version that easily surpasses the original in both editing and sound design, so the 'Japanese versions are always better' argument doesn't really work.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

If I'm remembering right, shouldn't syncing PAL video with non-PAL audio just be a matter of slowing the frame rate from 25 to 24 per second?
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

I should probably make a new topic for this, but I feel I've been creating far to many topics recently. I'm curious what's up with the international cut of War of The Gargantuas. I'm aware that the only few copies are on some old vhs tapes that are supposed to be missing some shots. I also know some more things about it, but what are the major differences, apart from the fact that the Gergantuas are called Frankenstein. Also, any small, lesser known facts. Thanks!!!
HayesAJones wrote:

Rockzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Rockzilla »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:I should probably make a new topic for this, but I feel I've been creating far to many topics recently. I'm curious what's up with the international cut of War of The Gargantuas. I'm aware that the only few copies are on some old vhs tapes that are supposed to be missing some shots. I also know some more things about it, but what are the major differences, apart from the fact that the Gergantuas are called Frankenstein. Also, any small, lesser known facts. Thanks!!!
I'm not sure if you are aware but the international cut has a different dub entirely. For some reason Russ Tamblyn was dubbed in the international version despite him natively speaking English in the film.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Rockzilla wrote:
GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:I should probably make a new topic for this, but I feel I've been creating far to many topics recently. I'm curious what's up with the international cut of War of The Gargantuas. I'm aware that the only few copies are on some old vhs tapes that are supposed to be missing some shots. I also know some more things about it, but what are the major differences, apart from the fact that the Gergantuas are called Frankenstein. Also, any small, lesser known facts. Thanks!!!
I'm not sure if you are aware but the international cut has a different dub entirely. For some reason Russ Tamblyn was dubbed in the international version despite him natively speaking English in the film.
Haha, I actually was aware of that! I remember hearing that Russ' audio track was lost, so his voice was lost. That also meant he had to re-dub his lines, something Toho's international dubbers would not be able to do. Maybe the fact that he had to re-dub all jis lines is why Russ sounds so bored throughout the entire movie. :)
Last edited by GodzillaFanatic2001 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HayesAJones wrote:

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

It's probably because the International dub would have roughly followed the Japanese script, while Russ Tamblyn's lines were spoken according to the American script. So, had you been on the set, you'd have heard the Japanese cast discussing Frankenstein while Russ Tamblyn was talking about Gargantuas. If you were making an English dub according to the Japanese script, as opposed to the more adapted American script, you would then have to dub Russ' dialogue as well to match the rest, so that he's talking about Frankenstein too.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Qaenos
GPN Volunteer

Post by Qaenos »

Space Hunter M wrote:...and the only currently available recording of the November 2014 HDTV broadcast is entirely unusable (zero SD resolution, let alone HD)...
I'm not sure what you mean by "zero SD resolution". I've been wondering if anyone recorded the November 2014 HDTV broadcast of Frankenstein Vs. Baragon and King Kong Vs. Godzilla. What's the deal with those two - did they look good? Did KKvG look better than the Blu-ray? What exactly was wrong with the recording FvB from that broadcast?

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Qaenos wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "zero SD resolution"
My copy is a 1.45gb windowboxed capture. It has a vertical resolution of about 275 pixels with a properly flagged AR. It's worthless. Also, Kong was just the Blu-Ray (no rescanned 35mm bits for reel 1 or improved coloring).
omgitsgodzilla wrote:It's probably because the International dub would have roughly followed the Japanese script, while Russ Tamblyn's lines were spoken according to the American script. So, had you been on the set, you'd have heard the Japanese cast discussing Frankenstein while Russ Tamblyn was talking about Gargantuas. If you were making an English dub according to the Japanese script, as opposed to the more adapted American script, you would then have to dub Russ' dialogue as well to match the rest, so that he's talking about Frankenstein too.
Precisely.