Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

What is your Favorite Film of the Rebirth of Mothra Series

Rebirth of Mothra
45%
Rebirth of Mothra 2
9%
Mothra 3: Invasion of King Ghidorah
46%

Total votes: 96

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Post by Smuggers »

That part in G2 where Gamera flies in and starts sliding across the floor while shooting fireballs at Legion is great.
OT: None.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Wow I had no idea people liked the first Rebirth of Mothra. It seemed like 3 was the only one anyone really put their heart into or focus on battles.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

The third one, as it is the only one that is actually tolerable.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Anyone who knows me knows my vote goes the the third film. While it's not a masterpiece or anything, it had a great mix between interesting/unique ideas, fantastic monster designs, solid pacing, and consistent tone. It's characters are also bearable this time around, with the main kid being a teenager. On top of that, it has a strong fairy tale quality to it, especially with Ghidorah's motivation. Really, it's only problems, IMO, are the really poor special effects (and they are pretty freaking poor, most of the time), and the fact that the time travel stuff feels a little out of place. But if I were to give it a rating, I'd say 3.5/5.

I would also like to say that I'm surprised by how many people "prefer" the first one. While it has some moments, I found most of it to be awful, incredibly boring, and one of the absolute worst Godzilla-related flicks out there. If I were to rate it, I'd give it a 1.5/5. Definitely will not be revisiting it anytime soon.

The second film, while still bad, manages to at least introduce some interesting/unique ideas, and, unlike the first film, actually has stuff happening! Because of that, I'd say it's the worst made of the three, but more entertaining than the first. 2/5
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

I supposed my "favorite"(or should I say "The least painful one to sit through before wanting to suffocate myself :lol: ) was ROM3 ...however, the KG suit, which I felt looked AWESOME in regards to the infamous Bandai figure and from stills I saw in books/magazines, came off rather stiff on screen and was a big disappointment when seeing it actually in action. Overall, all three of these films make GvsMegalon, GvsMothra 92 and GvsSpaceGodzilla seem like Citizen Kane, Ben Hur and 2001: A Space Odyssey in comparison...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

My favorite was the second. We got an original monster from this film, and I like Dagahra. While there's some designs in the concept art that would've been great to see, the design that was used was good.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I'm a bit surprised people really seem to like the first one. I mean I thought it was too dull even with the awesome demonic Desghidorah. 2 was just a step down and while it kind of gives me more to talk about it's all bad with three screaming kids and the monster action just drags and drags. And the third felt like it was a kid adventure fairy tale and in general what the first movie should have started with. Also battles that were planned out rather than dragging on and on for 80 percent of the movie.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Titanomajin wrote:Right!? I especially like his theme music, its pretty good. ROM 2 is my favorite in all honesty. Aqua Mothra is one of my most favorite kaiju designs. I dont think this film is good by any means, nor do i think its better than the first. I just like it better.
You got moxie, kid.

I unironically like the first one a lot. It has its flaws, for sure, some overracting from the Alias (at least in the Japanese version, which is the only one I've seen) and the Mothra Larva beams were stupid, but I found it to be a lot of fun on the whole.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

The first one, JUST rewatched RoM 3 for the first time in eight years... and boy do I hate it :lol:
It was better than part two, but it just reminded me I never liked the RoM trilogy much.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Hard to say. I saw the first two when I was a kid and the Heisei series was still relatively new. It was around the time when Godzilla 2000 came out. As a kid, I loved them, but I guess looking back that's the target audience those films were meant for. I think I preferred the first one over the second, but liked the second movie's aquatic/oriental feel. The ancient sea monster in the second one was cool too.

A few years ago I finally saw Rebirth of Mothra 3 (or the ending at least) on television while I was down in Nashville, of all places. It was late at night and I was just up flipping through cable channels in my hotel room. Honestly, I thought that one was a bit ridiculous, save for the prehistoric scenes which I got a kick out of. It was nostalgic to get to see another "new" Toho movie though, especially at an older and more mature age.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I hate all of these movies, I think they're all garbage. With that said, O find the third to be the most watchable simply because Kind Ghidorah is a super badass.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I feel like the first one had the most effort and spirit behind it rather than being a cash in. It also had some new ideas of Mothra Leo. I liked three for having King Ghidorah and city destroying scenes but it was way more corny than the first one. I also have heavy nostalgia for the first ROM movie as I had it on VHS as a child and actually predated most of my viewings of a good chunk of the Godzilla series.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I feel like the first one had the most effort and spirit behind it rather than being a cash in. It also had some new ideas of Mothra Leo. I liked three for having King Ghidorah and city destroying scenes but it was way more corny than the first one. I also have heavy nostalgia for the first ROM movie as I had it on VHS as a child and actually predated most of my viewings of a good chunk of the Godzilla series.
Yeah that's how I kind of feel about the first one. I saw that one before I saw several of the Heisei Godzilla entries. Three was pretty goofy, but I feel like it's an unfair judgement on my part because I saw it as an adult and not as a kid.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I bought the trilogy on blu ray earlier this year and watched these for the first time. I'd have to go with the first one, a little less goofy, pretty cool, and the four legged Ghidorah was a pretty cool and interesting design.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

So I binge watched all three of these over the last two nights. I'm still trying to figure out if I'd have endured less pain by hammering a railroad spike into the center of my forehead. Mothra 2 in particular is so terrible on every level. Mothra 3 was the best. But that's like saying its better to have skin cancer over testicular cancer. Its all bad.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I plan on watching all three sooner than later (once I'm in a more sadistic mood), but RoM3 at least sounds like the best, so far. Ghidorah looks cool, and he... killed the dinosaurs? Sounds awesome. If only it didn't have fairies and greenscreens flying around everywhere.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Mechagigan wrote:I plan on watching all three sooner than later (once I'm in a more sadistic mood), but RoM3 at least sounds like the best, so far. Ghidorah looks cool, and he... killed the dinosaurs? Sounds awesome. If only it didn't have fairies and greenscreens flying around everywhere.
If you mean KG killed small cheap rubbery puppet looking dinosaurs then yes he was indeed the cause of a mass extinction event 65 million years ago.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzilla21 wrote:So I binge watched all three of these over the last two nights. I'm still trying to figure out if I'd have endured less pain by hammering a railroad spike into the center of my forehead. Mothra 2 in particular is so terrible on every level. Mothra 3 was the best. But that's like saying its better to have skin cancer over testicular cancer. Its all bad.
Mothra 2 had some good fights and I liked when Dagharla had a small rampage on land. Pretty much everything else felt like filler and the whole plot with the kids seemed needlessly pointless. It also felt super low budget by putting all the characters in a small confined area with a simple set. Despite the effects of 3 looking okay I admire them for at least having a city destroying scene.

I still like 1 better because mothra gets killed. I also like the family dynamic in that better. It's cliche but the third one had an emo 10 year old for nothing and 2 had really worse kids.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

Looks like I'm one of the few who like second one the best. In my opinion, it has the best pace, best monster fights and is the only one with completely new and original villain (yep, Dagahra technically is just a generic dragon-ish creature, but at least he is new...unlike the two Ghidorah variations in first and third movie).

Storywise, I prefer the third one, but overall, my vote goes to second. First one I consider the most unengaging of the three.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Israha wrote:Looks like I'm one of the few who like second one the best. In my opinion, it has the best pace, best monster fights and is the only one with completely new and original villain (yep, Dagahra technically is just a generic dragon-ish creature, but at least he is new...unlike the two Ghidorah variations in first and third movie).

Storywise, I prefer the third one, but overall, my vote goes to second. First one I consider the most unengaging of the three.
Yeah I agree Daghrla was cool for being completely new but I still think Desghidorah was interesting enough. He had four legs, wasn't gold and was more spikier. Plus he had fire based weapons. He also was more hunched over and looked way more like a dragon. IMO he and Daghrla were cool, it's just a shame they most likely will never be in any other Godzilla related media.