Destroyah as the final boss in the MonsterVerse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Destroyah as the final boss in the MonsterVerse

Post by Spuro »

Voyager wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:45 pm
Spuro wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:31 pm
But this is a big budget Hollywood movie, and those aren’t known for taking risks that might “alienate” certain audience members, so I wouldn’t hold my breath for that.
Last time I checked, KOTM’s environmental message didn’t alienate anyone.
That's because it ultimately didn't take a strong stance on the subject. It was just used as a flawed motivation for the human villains. It was, like most things in Hollywood, a token attempt.

GvK was even less focused on story and thematic structure, and I don't think Adam Wingard's next movie will be much different in that respect. The Monsterverse has been slowly losing its thematic edge in favor of monster action ever since Skull Island was released.

Don't Look Up was a Netflix release, and neither it, Bohemian Rhapsody, or Rocketman were big budget block busters designed to rake in money from all over the globe, including China. I wouldn't say they're comparable to the Monsterverse films, unless the Monsterverse someday makes it big on streaming or lower-budget productions.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

Avatar is a pretty pro-environmental film with an anti-imperialist message, and it made a lot of money. I don’t think an environmental theme is a dealbreaker for Hollywood. With that said I’m not sure I’d trust the MonsterVerse to handle a subject like that well.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Garzon wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:24 pm Avatar is a pretty pro-environmental film with an anti-imperialist message, and it made a lot of money. I don’t think an environmental theme is a dealbreaker for Hollywood. With that said I’m not sure I’d trust the MonsterVerse to handle a subject like that well.
Avatar also had the benefit of James Cameron being at the helm. The Monsterverse films don't have big-name directors attached to them; they're a lot more likely to be at the beck-and-call of the company executives. (Although, credit where it's due, the directorial styles do shine in the MV more than they would in something like the MCU.)
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ehhh. Destoroyah would benefit the most from being brought back, both with how effects are done, and that you could make a few fun design tweaks.

However, one thing that Ive sorely missed/wanted, is a big new monster to fight Godzilla and/or Kong. Not a Toho-rehash like MG or KG, but a full blown new main monster akin to the MUTOs. I sort of feel like Godzilla has gotten more than enough lipservice in the Monsterverse, and a new "Super-Monster" would be really cool. An original alien or something.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I wouldn't mind a Mecha King Ghidorah as the next monster as a logical progression of the events in the current movies.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:11 pm I wouldn't mind a Mecha King Ghidorah as the next monster as a logical progression of the events in the current movies.
I mean, that’s basically what MV Mechagodzilla was.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:21 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:04 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:52 pm Ah, I love this fandom's positive outlook.
I'm getting tired of people looking at future films logically and realistically being called out for doing something wrong.
My man, we're in a day and age since 2014 where nothing is off the table at this point. If fans want to get excited, let them. But I'm generally sick and tired of "fans" screeching like banshees about how the MV sucks or isn't going to last. We've heard the same poop since 2014 when the future was unclear. So long as that mentality goes on... Well... I'll be here. ;) :D

You should remember as well as I do when the mere thought of a big budget Hollywood Godzilla was viewed as impossible. Let alone a new "mini-franchise within the main franchise" that the American films are becoming.
What this man said.

As to the topic at hand, gimme Gamera or GTFO.

Hell, I’m shooting for the moon here.
Last edited by Legendary Gojira on Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:07 pm Ehhh. Destoroyah would benefit the most from being brought back, both with how effects are done, and that you could make a few fun design tweaks.

However, one thing that Ive sorely missed/wanted, is a big new monster to fight Godzilla and/or Kong. Not a Toho-rehash like MG or KG, but a full blown new main monster akin to the MUTOs. I sort of feel like Godzilla has gotten more than enough lipservice in the Monsterverse, and a new "Super-Monster" would be really cool. An original alien or something.

You make some good points. If the monsterverse had been a Godzilla series only, then Destroyah would have been a good final monster. However, since this is both Godzilla and Kong, I think a new big antagonist titan that is a thematic antagonist to both Godzilla and Kong equally would be cool. Maybe have this titan be something their ancestors defeated together or have this titan be the one to trick them into going into the titan war.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Y'all are setting yourselves up to disappointment if you actually think we'll even see Destoroyah in the MonsterVerse.

More likely it'll be an original monster made up by Legendary.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:38 pm Y'all are setting yourselves up to disappointment if you actually think we'll even see Destoroyah in the MonsterVerse.
You know, have you actually *EVER* made a post where you don't come off as condescending and actually join in on the fun and actually just think about "what ifs" or are you always just the biggest Debby downer on these forums?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:38 pm Y'all are setting yourselves up to disappointment if you actually think we'll even see Destoroyah in the MonsterVerse.
King Kong vs Godzilla getting a blockbuster remake taught me to never say never. That idea would have gotten you laughed off the forum back in 2014.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

And an anime series that features Jet Jaguar fighting Godzilla with a spear made from one of Anguirus's spikes? That sounds like a ten-year-old's bad fanfiction. There was literally no way something like that would ever be made, until it was.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Since KotM used an oxygen destroyer, there's that possibility. This is just speculation, but, if Destroyah is used, that could be why it was included in the movie; A door left open just in case. On topic, Destroyah would be a good choice for a big, super powered enemy for Godzilla.

Personally, I'd like to see Hedorah used. Godzilla and the titans are the defenders of the Earth, and Hedorah would be the biggest threat to Earth just by existing. Also, it would make humans work with the titans as Hedorah would mean the extinction of man.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

It would be cool to see Destoroyah.
Spoiler:
The problem here is how thrown in the Oxygen Destroyer was in "King of the Monsters."
Having Destoroyah as the finale just seems underwhelming to me. It seems more logical to either have a new threat or have an invasion be the final boss. Something to challenge Monarch as well as the Titans seems more appropriate here... :antonio: :keizer: :mugal: :xilian:
Last edited by HillyHulk on Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I don't think the OD's handling in KOTM precludes Dessy. You could probably retcon development in that area and make it hold more weight. IMO, one of the ways they could do that is making the fallout from the OD a central aspect of the TV show, or at least allude to it being a major, world changing event. I doubt that will happen though.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I think the worst part of using Destroyah (created by the Oxygen Destroyer no doubt) for the finale of the MV is that Toho already did the EXACT SAME THING 27 years ago when they ended the Heisei series.

I'd rather see them come up with brand new ideas than reuse a monster with a specific origin like Destroyah.

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

Reminds me of fake KOTM leaks with a "weird baby crab-like creature" caught by fishermen in the post-credits scene.

Given how mainstream MV has become, I think Destroyah's appearance is pretty much possible.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I get the impression that people think that because the monsterverse won't reach MCU levels of sequels and films, that it somehow means the MV is either going to fail or will be a failure when it ultimately ends. Either way, we're headed into the 5th film with AppleTV+ and Netflix series. Even if Legendary chose to discontinue this after these three projects, it's been fairly successful run.

Anyways, to OP's point, I don't know about this. After GvK, I get the feeling that Legendary might try to be less ambitious with their projects. KOTM started to expand the world a bit, and GvK pulled back on that. We'll see how these next few projects go, before I can say with confidence one way or another that they'd be willing to pay for, and bring in, a character like Destoroyah. It would be awesome, but I'm also not clamoring for it.

Gojirafan2013
Ronin

Post by Gojirafan2013 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:17 am
Dyrakro wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:39 am How about a totally new and innovative Titan tho? CG is giving the makers so many possibilities and so far aside of the MUTOs and the flying snakes from GvK they barely take any use of it. Also these two and the Skullcrawlers surely proved that the people behind can come up with some great designs and monsters if they just get the chance to
While I agree to an extant, I'd much rather see some more classics get the big budget love like the big 5 got. Not against new supporting role Titans, but for a big bad in a Godzilla movie? It's like making a Spider-man movie and instead of using one of his underutilized foes, making something completely new. There's so many kaiju in Godzilla's rogues gallery that would be absolutely amazing in the MV. Biollante, Hedorah, Destoroyah, Gigan, Megalon.... Hell, even SpaceGodzilla if his origin is revamped to not be mind numbingly stupid (not sure if possible).
Here’s my two cents on this topic. While I understand all the desire to see a modern day version of Destroyah as a finale boss, I wouldn’t be lying if I said I’d be slightly disappointed if it happened. Don’t you think it would be too predictable? After seeing Destroyah be hyped up so much on the r/Monsterverse subreddit, I don’t think seeing him as the big bad in a Destroy All Monsters-like film would be as exciting as seeing a brand new big bad on screen. I would love to see Legendary take a shot at creating an original big bad to make the MonsterVerse stand out from previous Godzilla eras.

Plus, as long as general audiences get to see Godzilla and Kong take on another big bad monster, I don’t think it really matters whether or not it’s a Toho or Legendary creation. Since Spider-Man has a much bigger fanbase than Godzilla, his fans are a lot more picky about which villains he faces, and how closely the movies he stars in stick to the comics. But Godzilla, in comparison, is a lot more niche, and has a much smaller following than Spider-Man. Since there aren’t as many Godzilla fans as Spider-Man fans, I don’t think Legendary feels as obligated to stick to a status quo when it comes to Godzilla’s enemies.

And look, they already gave us awesome, modern-day versions of Mothra, Ghidorah, Rodan, and Mechagodzilla! I think fans should be very grateful that Legendary allowed Micheal Dougherty and Adam Wingard to treat those characters with the respect they deserve. So with the exception of a few Toho monsters like Anguirus, Gigan, Biollante, Megalon, or Hedorah appearing in future solo Godzilla movies, I would love to see Legendary create their own original final boss for a final send-off movie.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:17 am While I agree to an extant, I'd much rather see some more classics get the big budget love like the big 5 got. Not against new supporting role Titans, but for a big bad in a Godzilla movie? It's like making a Spider-man movie and instead of using one of his underutilized foes, making something completely new. There's so many kaiju in Godzilla's rogues gallery that would be absolutely amazing in the MV. Biollante, Hedorah, Destoroyah, Gigan, Megalon.... Hell, even SpaceGodzilla if his origin is revamped to not be mind numbingly stupid (not sure if possible).
I’m not disagreeing with you but you’re missing something in your analogy. Aside from Venom – a wildly popular character who was created in 1988 by a wildly popular artist – all of the solo Spider-Man movies featured an arch-enemy who originated in the mid-1960s. In addition to being 50+ years old those foes have continued to reappear in the Spider-Man comics and garner more fans along the way. Of the kaiju you mentioned, only Gigan has the honor of being 50+ years old and being featured in more than one Godzilla movie. (Technically Hedorah appeared in a second movie but that appearance was fleeting.) Which is not to say that I favor Gigan over the options you listed but rather that the same logic does not hold.