Destroyah as the final boss in the MonsterVerse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Destroyah as the final boss in the MonsterVerse

Post by Garzon »

Would that be a good idea? We know they’re not going to do that World Serpent thing, since that was always just a fake rumor, and it seems like they’ve used Ghidorah for all he’s worth, so I would think Destroyah is the most viable option left. The only potential problem, as far as I see, is that Legendary would have to pay Toho an additional licensing fee for the character.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Destroyah as the final boss in the MonsterVerse

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I could see it happening.

But honestly, with Ghidorah being confirmed a space monster and the inclusion of robots like MG, I REALLY wanna see a MV Gigan.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

We won't see it because the MonsterVerse ain't gonna be lasting another 2-3 movies even.

And even then as if Legendary will spent millions upon millions of dollars on other Toho monsters when they could just come up with new ones.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Ah, I love this fandom's positive outlook.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:52 pm Ah, I love this fandom's positive outlook.
There's positive and there's delusional, and it's a line that this fandom crosses constantly. I'm getting tired of people looking at future films logically and realistically being called out for doing something wrong.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:04 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:52 pm Ah, I love this fandom's positive outlook.
I'm getting tired of people looking at future films logically and realistically being called out for doing something wrong.
My man, we're in a day and age since 2014 where nothing is off the table at this point. If fans want to get excited, let them. But I'm generally sick and tired of "fans" screeching like banshees about how the MV sucks or isn't going to last. We've heard the same shit since 2014 when the future was unclear. So long as that mentality goes on... Well... I'll be here. ;) :D

You should remember as well as I do when the mere thought of a big budget Hollywood Godzilla was viewed as impossible. Let alone a new "mini-franchise within the main franchise" that the American films are becoming.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Would be cool.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

"Monsterverse won't last" as we approach film number 5, two tie-in shows, and the 10 year anniversary of this section of the franchise. The Monsterverse is shaping up to be a much more significant era in Godzilla history than the Millennium Era. It arguably is already.

On a worldwide scale, it is very much the most significant and meaningful era of Godzilla films since the Showa era. The Heisei and Millennium eras were almost completely "straight to video" sections of Godzilla lore everywhere outside of Japan. They aired on sci-fi(syfy?) channel alongside stuff like Boa vs Python. When given the rare theatrical treatment, they didn't exactly set the world on fire over here.

There is an entire generation of audiences who basically know Godzilla in two incarnations: These films and "all the old guy-in-suit movies"

But it'll be 2030 with Legendary and Toho formally ending their partnership after 6-8 films and people will be on here saying "I knew it was just a flash in the pan"

BACK ON TOPIC

I would love for Destoroyah to be a huge touchstone villain in a Monsterverse film. It just feels like a bit of an 'obvious' thing to do from a certain perspective. From the notion of franchise building and using prior films as framework...you introduce the Oxygen Destroyer to open up the opportunity for Destoroyah. But hell, they could just have Destoroyah be a lovecraftian overlord of the Hollow Earth and I would still dig the hell out of it. Applying video game logic, you go down into the Hollow Earth level and there HAS to be a big boss down there.

Outside of Kong, Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah, and MechaGodzilla...I'm not sure who the next "most mainstream" adversary for Godzilla would be. Anguirus is typically a comrade.

SpaceGodzilla, Destoroyah, Biollante and Orga(paired with the "alien attacker" concept) are the monsters whose concepts feel "big" enough to feel like they have higher stakes and wider scope than most of Godzilla's other adversaries.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

TBH I could give less than two damns if Destoroyah really ever showed up in a Godzilla movie, whether that'd be in America OR Japan. I'd much rather the "final boss" of the MV be a creature made right out of the minds of the people that work at Legendary, instead of them wasting it on someone like Desto, or SpaceGodzilla, or Bagan etc.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

If I had my way, I’d have Ghidorah in same way shape or form be the final boss. Much like the Showa Era.
For Emperor and Empire!

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Nah Ghidorah was big enough. We don’t need another super massive world-ending kaiju
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

How about a totally new and innovative Titan tho? CG is giving the makers so many possibilities and so far aside of the MUTOs and the flying snakes from GvK they barely take any use of it. Also these two and the Skullcrawlers surely proved that the people behind can come up with some great designs and monsters if they just get the chance to

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Dyrakro wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:39 am How about a totally new and innovative Titan tho? CG is giving the makers so many possibilities and so far aside of the MUTOs and the flying snakes from GvK they barely take any use of it. Also these two and the Skullcrawlers surely proved that the people behind can come up with some great designs and monsters if they just get the chance to
While I agree to an extant, I'd much rather see some more classics get the big budget love like the big 5 got. Not against new supporting role Titans, but for a big bad in a Godzilla movie? It's like making a Spider-man movie and instead of using one of his underutilized foes, making something completely new. There's so many kaiju in Godzilla's rogues gallery that would be absolutely amazing in the MV. Biollante, Hedorah, Destoroyah, Gigan, Megalon.... Hell, even SpaceGodzilla if his origin is revamped to not be mind numbingly stupid (not sure if possible).

Quote of the Year:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

You're delusional if you think Legendary is gonna spent millions of dollars to buy another Toho-property monster and if any Toho monster is gonna be bought next its like Anguirus or Gigan before we ever see Destoroyah.

Hell I would bet on King Ghidorah returning again to be a lot more likely.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The only Toho monster I'd love to see show up in a MV film is Hedorah. Very popular cult monster, relevant origins, would be great in CGI...he seems like a no brainer.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

If we get Hedorah as the final boss, all I want is that huge cartoonish red eye.
For Emperor and Empire!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:24 am The only Toho monster I'd love to see show up in a MV film is Hedorah. Very popular cult monster, relevant origins, would be great in CGI...he seems like a no brainer.
Oh, no doubt. Hedorah is among the top classics that would benefit from Hollywood spectacle. I do have to ask you, how would you feel about them going balls out with Hedorah's blob-like body, giving him tentacles like '88 Blob and have him "tidal waving" the likes of Godzilla with his own mass?

Quote of the Year:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm kind of cool with whatever they do with Hedorah. He's a mass of shit and pollution. Go crazy with it. Just keep his red vagina eyes and you can go nuts with the rest.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:17 pm I'm kind of cool with whatever they do with Hedorah. He's a mass of shit and pollution. Go crazy with it. Just keep his red vagina eyes and you can go nuts with the rest.
I just hope that if they use Hedorah, they’ll have the guts to stick to a strong thematic subtext about pollution or climate change. Hedorah doesn’t feel right without it. Without it, he’s just one ooze monster among many.

But this is a big budget Hollywood movie, and those aren’t known for taking risks that might “alienate” certain audience members, so I wouldn’t hold my breath for that.

The less thematically rich Destoroyah would therefor be a more appropriate choice. Unlike Hedorah, you can probably get away with putting that Destoroyah in a simple blockbuster with no substance. No offense to Destoroyah fans; I love the monster myself; but Hedorah NEEDS a movie with a strong environmental and political stance, and that’s not something I trust the Monsterverse as being able to provide.
Last edited by Spuro on Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Spuro wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:31 pm
But this is a big budget Hollywood movie, and those aren’t known for taking risks that might “alienate” certain audience members, so I wouldn’t hold my breath for that.
Last time I checked, KOTM’s environmental message didn’t alienate anyone. Don’t Look Up didn’t cause a fuss that I’m aware of. Lots movies these days have some form of climate change or environmental message and those rarely ever cause a problem among moviegoers.

And that’s not all. Hollywood these days is certainly more bold to “alienate” those very obvious people you’re referencing. Look at Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman. They both did very well, especially the former.
For Emperor and Empire!