Am I the only one who didn't feel that Godzilla 2014 was falsely advertised?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Am I the only one who didn't feel that Godzilla 2014 was falsely advertised?

Post by LegendZilla »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:25 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:26 pm
I know I’ve said this before but clearly they wrote the story and characters before what actors they had in mind. They could not have foreseen Bryan Cranston landing in the role he did or Breaking Bad having a sudden surge in popularity near the end of its run.
I can't believe it almost been a decade since 2014 and people still haven't gotten this
Sadly it's tue.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Am I the only one who didn't feel that Godzilla 2014 was falsely advertised?

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:22 pm"It was revealed to me in a dream" -GodzillaFan1990's

Seriously though, I think Brody Sr. should have lived a little longer. My biggest gripes are his death not carrying the weight of Psycho or Scream, and the airport cutaway. I think you could rectify these by having Brody Sr. die in the airport skirmish between Godzilla and the Muto, and show the fight a little. The biggest problem G14 had was that it needed another script pass, imo.
Opening week started strong for G14 but the following weeks it then dropped is a pretty good indicator.
Jetty_Jags wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:41 pmI disagree this has more to do with the bland direction of Ford, rather than the narrative structure. If you look at the events of the Ford’s journey, we start with him being emotionally distanced from his family, likely in response to his childhood trauma, and after getting a chance to reunite with his alienated father, goes on a journey with him to the spot that ruined their family. Joes death sets up the emotional arch for Ford to become a better father, not fall into his dads footsteps, and return home to save his family. This family dynamic is consistent throughout the film be it the nuclear accident tearing Joes family apart, the mission for Ford to return home to his family, to the mutos themselves trying to start a family of their own. I think had ford been more engaging, or had more visible personality (like his namesake), the film, and this thematic thread, would have resonated much better.
What would had been better was killing off Ford. He would not be missed.

This would lead to Joe realizing his obsession in finding the truth costing him his son now having to deal with the guilt that he's dead along with his wife and to make a promise to his son not only tries to stop the MUTOs and save the only living family members he has left. His daughter-in-law and grandson.

Gladly would have taken that over what we got.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed May 11, 2022 5:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:40 pm Seriously whose idea was it to kill Bryan Cranston off especially at the height of his popularity which they could've exploited? They really blew that opportunity. Should've killed Ford instead (Headcanon is he and his family died during the attack of the Titans awakening in King of the Monsters). No one gave a skreeonk about generic soldier boy.

Honestly, if they kept Bryan Cranston alive and had him in the future films. The MonsterVerse would at least be slightly improved.
I know I’ve said this before but clearly they wrote the story and characters before what actors they had in mind. They could not have foreseen Bryan Cranston landing in the role he did or Breaking Bad having a sudden surge in popularity near the end of its run.
What are you talking about? The show was a HUGE hit well before the end of it's run, winning Emmy's etc.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:21 pm
Jetty_Jags wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:41 pmI disagree this has more to do with the bland direction of Ford, rather than the narrative structure. If you look at the events of the Ford’s journey, we start with him being emotionally distanced from his family, likely in response to his childhood trauma, and after getting a chance to reunite with his alienated father, goes on a journey with him to the spot that ruined their family. Joes death sets up the emotional arch for Ford to become a better father, not fall into his dads footsteps, and return home to save his family. This family dynamic is consistent throughout the film be it the nuclear accident tearing Joes family apart, the mission for Ford to return home to his family, to the mutos themselves trying to start a family of their own. I think had ford been more engaging, or had more visible personality (like his namesake), the film, and this thematic thread, would have resonated much better.
What would had been better was killing off Ford. He would not be missed.

This would lead to Joe realizing his obsession in finding the truth costing him his son now having to deal with the guilt that he's dead along with his wife and to make a promise to his son not only tries to stop the MUTOs and save the only living family members he has left. His daughter-in-law and grandson.
> here's why Joe needed to die for the story to work

> yes but (literally the exact same thing you were saying as if you didn't even read Jag's post)

Never change 90s.

RIP Evan.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

At this point talking about KotM's box office is like talking to a wall because people have already made up their minds about it.

As for G14 the monster fights were the main problem there. Godzilla fans overestimate had badly Fird was viewed as the lead.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:21 pm What would had been better was killing off Ford. He would not be missed.
I certainly agree that Ford, as played/presented in the finished film, is not a very compelling character.

However, the storyteller in me feels compelled to point out at this juncture that there is very little point in killing off a character who "will not be missed." You want a character's death to have resonance with the audience.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Chris55 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:36 pm
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:40 pm Seriously whose idea was it to kill Bryan Cranston off especially at the height of his popularity which they could've exploited? They really blew that opportunity. Should've killed Ford instead (Headcanon is he and his family died during the attack of the Titans awakening in King of the Monsters). No one gave a skreeonk about generic soldier boy.

Honestly, if they kept Bryan Cranston alive and had him in the future films. The MonsterVerse would at least be slightly improved.
What are you talking about? The show was a HUGE hit well before the end of it's run, winning Emmy's etc.
Nowhere nearly as big as it was near the end of its run. Heck, I never even heard of it until I heard Bryan Cranston was cast in G14.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

Breaking Bad was always critically acclaimed, but it had a fairly niche following for most of its run. It wasn’t until the final season when the series suddenly blew up and cemented itself as the pop culture icon it would come to be known as. If you look at the viewership numbers, you’ll notice that the last batch of episodes had significantly higher ratings than the prior seasons.

Regardless, WB was definitely aware of how popular Bryan Cranston had become once it came time to market the 2014 Godzilla movie, which is most likely why the trailers placed more emphasis on him than they did on Aaron Taylor Johnson.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:47 am
Chris55 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:36 pm

Nowhere nearly as big as it was near the end of its run. Heck, I never even heard of it until I heard Bryan Cranston was cast in G14.
A lot of the time when a show is a hit, it gets the BIGGEST audience when it's near the end of it's run because they hype the shit out of the finale. It's basically all the people who just kind of knew of the show wanted to see what the buzz was about. Having it be on Netflix before the series end sure did help it's visibility.

I know Ford gets a lot of crap but he was the most interesting when he had someone to talk to. He didn't have a whole lot of that-at least that was in the movie. This series really needs an extended box set with a ton of extras.
Last edited by Chris55 on Thu May 12, 2022 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

We could debate endlessly exactly how big a star Bryan Cranston was at any given moment in the development and production of this movie, and speculate just as much about what story decisions were made at what stage (as far as I know we don't have access to a range of treatment and script drafts), but I think it's fair to say that, at every stage, Cranston and Juliette Binoche were the biggest names in the movie, at least for American audiences.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legendary was probably thinking keep Ford and Elizabeth Olsen because Age of Ultron was coming out next summer.

Think of where they would be now if Elizabeth Olsen stayed on for the Godzilla films.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:21 pm What would had been better was killing off Ford. He would not be missed.
You suggest this so frequently that it's honestly getting a little weird.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Smuggers wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:35 pm
You suggest this so frequently that it's honestly getting a little weird.
I hated Ford too. ATJ approached the role with some of the most bland acting I had ever seen, a major disappointment for me.