Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Sequel

Post by miguelnuva »

Kotm should have come out in Christmas and Auaman in March and Shazam in May.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I always get the vibe that Legendary overstimated just how big this movie was going to be. You might be able to do that to a movie like Infinity War, you won't ever be able to do it to a Godzilla movie.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KingKaiju wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:04 pm I always get the vibe that Legendary overstimated just how big this movie was going to be. You might be able to do that to a movie like Infinity War, you won't ever be able to do it to a Godzilla movie.
WB was scared of the Disney summer blockbusters and decided to throw Kotm there because it was a co production. Aquaman and Shazam were their movies so they wanted to maximize profit.

Skull island matching G14 box office in February vs May should have shown where these movies belong and Godzilla vs Kong enforces this.

Monsterverse should shoot for.late February mid March releases from now on.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:24 am
Sammy19 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:23 amReminds of when NWH was released and people wanted the Monsterverse to have a multiverse of its own.
Which is absurd and laughable that anyone think the MonsterVerse will ever get to that point.
Sammy19 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:18 amDougherty is good at world building but his attempts at humor is kinda bland.
Adam Wingard is even worst.

Hand sanitizer from gardens, consuming lot of bleach, whiskey saves the day!, etc.
Wingard also kinda sucks at humor but at least it didn't a cringe worthy Gonorrhea joke. The only good comedic scene was when Nathan signed coward to Jia before jump starting Kong. My point is that neither are good at humor. Although Dougherty loves the source material, some of the scenes included fan service for the sake of it. Eg: The oxygen destroyer used underwater and forgotten after Godzilla healed. I'd also wager Wingard knows how to show the fights unlike KOTM where so many muddy effects and cutaways still exist.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

KingKaiju wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:56 pmBut you know what the biggest problem was? They started promoting the film almost a year out. The audience was burned out and didn't care by the time the movie came out. Nevermind the word of mouth, people didn't even run out to see this movie opening weekend, so it's notlike they showed up in droves and then fell off. It never got going to begin with.
Sure say that if that were an MCU film. Things would be different otherwise.

Also should have worded my post clearer. I meant people being promised Bryan Cranston as the main lead hot off the success of Breaking Bad as trailers indicated for G14 only to be bait and switched with his son aka generic soldier boy no one gave a skreeonk about.

This along with the dull characters and cockteasing of monster fights had people assumed King of the Monsters would have been no less the same.

Why G14 despite having a strong opening week eventually dropping in the following weeks.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat May 14, 2022 6:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

People really need to stop blaming KOTM's poor box office on other films. It's gotten old.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I also still don't buy Disney and Marvel competition for King of the Monsters being a role when G14 and K:SI also dealt with The Amazing Spider-Man 2, X-Men: Days of the Future Past, Maleficent, Logan and Beauty and the Beast yet still did relatively well.

G14 mostly doing well because of curiosity in first American Godzilla film in 15 years combined with Bryan Cranston off his success of Breaking Bad, as soon as that was done, no one had any interest in a sequel having their fill. Like the Muppets movie which did well but sequel then didn't. That combined with the other thing I said above regarding being cockteased with the monster fights and promise of Bryan Cranston.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat May 14, 2022 6:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

eeeeee

Added in 3 minutes 44 seconds:
Legion1979 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:00 am People really need to stop blaming KOTM's poor box office on other films. It's gotten old.
I'd also wager it on the critical reception. Say what you will about critics but they do sway the general audience who aren't even into movies and other forms of entertainment.
Last edited by Sammy19 on Sat May 14, 2022 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

The first Venom also had negative reviews yet still performed well because Marvel.

As long as the Marvel name is labelled, you're safe from failure no matter when released especially. Especially given Morbius at least made a profit despite how trash that was.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat May 14, 2022 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:03 am Don't see what people sees in Bernie. He along with Josh were not only annoying as skreeonk but the worst human characters in the film which made the Godzilla side of the story unbearable to get through along with Madison's egotistical, bitchy and condescending attitude.
Correct me if wrong but I heard somewhere that it was Dougherty who wrote Team Godzilla.

Added in 2 minutes 40 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:15 am The first Venom also had negative reviews yet still performed well because Marvel.

As long as the Marvel name is labelled, you're safe from failure no matter when released especially. Especially given Morbius at least made a profit despite how trash that was.
To be fair, it was Spider-Man's most popular villain and most people already knew who he was so they'll see it no matter what. Similar to how Godzilla fans will watch any movie involving Godzilla even when KOTM had negative reviews.

Added in 3 minutes 33 seconds:
I'm so glad that Kong's getting a 3rd movie considering he always has 2 and then just gets rebooted or remade.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Good point. This is the first time we’ve gotten three Kong films in the same continuity. That’s a big deal.

Doesn’t hurt that this is by far my favorite depiction of Kong either

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Post by godzillafan1954 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:01 am G14 mostly doing well because of curiosity in first American Godzilla film in 15 years combined with Bryan Cranston off his success of Breaking Bad, as soon as that was done, no one had any interest in a sequel having their fill. Like the Muppets movie which did well but sequel then didn't. That combined with the other thing I said above regarding being cockteased with the monster fights and promise of Bryan Cranston.
Bryan Cranston sells tickets!!
eabaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.
I hear a distant rumbling... What's that?! It's coming from under the ground!

Oh, God! It's Baragon with Pink undertones! Can't you hear its terrifying cry?!

"Baragooooooon's comin' up, so you better get this party started!"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:00 am People really need to stop blaming KOTM's poor box office on other films. It's gotten old.
People need to stop acting like all those films weren't one of the reasons had had bad box office. It's gotten old.

Added in 3 minutes 29 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:01 am I also still don't buy Disney and Marvel competition for King of the Monsters being a role when G14 and K:SI also dealt with The Amazing Spider-Man 2, X-Men: Days of the Future Past, Maleficent, Logan and Beauty and the Beast yet still did relatively well.

G14 mostly doing well because of curiosity in first American Godzilla film in 15 years combined with Bryan Cranston off his success of Breaking Bad, as soon as that was done, no one had any interest in a sequel having their fill. Like the Muppets movie which did well but sequel then didn't. That combined with the other thing I said above regarding being cockteased with the monster fights and promise of Bryan Cranston.
You just said G14 had horrible legs now it did well against the competition?

Ford was not as hated with the GA as he was with Godzilla fans and Kotm is the outlier not the example.

Three MV films have been successful out of 4 and Godzilla was involved in 3 of them.

The problem will all have rather we hate or love the MV is we can't separate our personal attachment to Godzilla away from the series.

And before someone asks yes I'm guilty of this as well.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Yep, say that now. Watch that Godzilla 3 underperforms when it rolls by.

That's my final input on this.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:43 am Yep, say that now. Watch that Godzilla 3 underperforms when it rolls by.

That's my final input on this.
Because Godzilla vs Kong bombed, obviously. Maybe if they resurrected Bryan Cranston for Godzilla 3, we'd have a real banger on our hands.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:49 am Good point. This is the first time we’ve gotten three Kong films in the same continuity. That’s a big deal.

Doesn’t hurt that this is by far my favorite depiction of Kong either
The only issue I have is Skull Island is now gone. Would've loved to see both the HE and SI be a part of this continuity.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Maritonic wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:47 amBecause Godzilla vs Kong bombed, obviously. Maybe if they resurrected Bryan Cranston for Godzilla 3, we'd have a real banger on our hands.
Because it had Kong in it whose the only thing keeping the MonsterVerse alive.

Factor in there was barely competition, things were opening up again, this was the closest exciting thing folks could think to see. Say this now if it had to endure competition like an MCU or the like.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat May 14, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:13 pm
Maritonic wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:47 amBecause Godzilla vs Kong bombed, obviously. Maybe if they resurrected Bryan Cranston for Godzilla 3, we'd have a real banger on our hands.
Because it had Kong in it whose the only thing keeping the MonsterVerse alive.

Factor in there was barely competition, things were opening up again, this was the closest exciting thing folks could think to see. Had an MCU film been close, things would be different.
Is Bryan Cranston playing as Kong and thats why both were wins?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Maritonic wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:17 pmIs Bryan Cranston playing as Kong and thats why both were wins?
Kong is overall more popular of the two which helps given he's an American icon unlike Godzilla. What's the first thing people thinks when they think of giant gorillas? He's an icon of American cinema having even an entire museum of himself in the Empire State building as well as marketing notably giant gorilla ballons at tire shops and such.

K:SI: $566 million > G14: $529 million

Which again G14 only did well due to curiosity of 15 years after last American Godzilla remake and Bryan Cranston popularity hot from Breaking Bad and while opening week was strong it dropped in the process for reasons already mentioned I said in the thread.

Godzilla on the other hand, is while recognizable in name alongside those such as Kong himself, Superman, Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny is nowhere as popular, this can be blamed given the stigma left by the Showa movies which gives people the impression of giant rubber monsters attacking cardboard cities.

This is what people has to understand. There's a difference between popularity and recognition. The two are totally different, they're not the same thing.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat May 14, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

So which is it? Lack of Bryan Cranston or public perception of Godzilla as a character?