Monster Discussion Thread: MechaGodzilla (2021)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Monster Discussion Thread: MechaGodzilla (2021)

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Basically what it says. Put down your thoughts about MechaGodzilla(2021)

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Re: Monster Discussion Thread: MechaGodzilla (2021)

Post by Gojira1604 »

Awesome design, looks great overall and has many great details. It's purpose as a "killing machine" was very well captured. And finally, his death was very epic. Another iconic Monsterverse villian take down.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

My favorite MG actually.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Really wasn't a fan of the whole King Ghidorah-Mechagodzilla route. Came off too much as Zod-Doomsday from Batman vs. Superman all over again.

That said, definitely my favorite Mechagodzilla to date given his design and the intimidation he gives off.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Edit: Nevermind. misunderstood.
Last edited by Maritonic on Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

comment deleted
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaqua92
Interpol Agent

Post by Jaqua92 »

This was Mechagodzilla in Mecca King Ghidorah meshed into one. I dig it
Please check out the first battle in the Tohokingdom Monsterverse Battle Thread/Tier project! First battle is Nuke Amped Boston Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31251

System intro below.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31260&p=1820343#p1820343

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

Can't believe I forgot to comment on this. I do like the design visually; I appreciate how they made this MG very huge and bulky. One thing I did like about Kiryu that is even better with this version is how it actually got physical with Godzilla, while the Showa and Heisei versions were more or less Godzilla shaped guns and cannons. This MG utterly manhandled Godzilla with not much effort, which was very cool to watch. The final battle with Kong and Godzilla VS MG as a whole was a fantastic spectacle.

That said, I will echo GodzillaFan's comment about his actual character. Something about Mechagodzilla being a sort of "reincarnation" of Ghidorah doesn't sit right with me. Not even because of the goofy as all hell origin for Mechagodzilla; the film was silly and out there enough for me to not really mind. I just prefer that MG is its own entity, not just the last movie's antagonist in a Godzilla suit. Still though, this is a good version of the character, even if I don't like it as much as the first two.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Jaqua92 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:14 am This was Mechagodzilla in Mecca King Ghidorah meshed into one. I dig it
It's not the first time the two have been linked together.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I loved this version. While not my favorite, it may have the most exciting arsenal. The perfect balance of flashy beams, military weapons and melee options. That finale battle against Godzilla & Kong is one of my favs and his death might be the most epic of any Mechagodzilla.

Felt the whole Ghidorah spirit inside it was a nice little fusion of two of Godzilla's greatest enemies, and gave it sort of a villainous spin of Kiryu from the Millennium movies. I personal dug it.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I hate this version. I literally prefer stationary laser artillery Mechagodzilla to this.
For Emperor and Empire!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

While I appreciate that they have a unique design that isn't like any of the previous mg aesthetic philosophies, I really don't like how it looks. As for it's purpose in the film, he's fine. Kind of underwhelming, but that role was going to be filled by somebody.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

Just wish he was more brutal in beating both Godzilla and Kong.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

One thing I really liked about this design was the claw hands. For some reason they tie the whole thing together for me big time. The proton scream is cool too, name and execution.
It's just a shame that Legendary MG was rushed in and out of the Monsterverse so quickly. There were a few nuggets of some good ideas that might have made him stand out if his whole story didn't play out in 10 minutes.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

Not a fan of its humongous arms and the wideness of its "forehead". Also didn't like seeing this mechanical behemoth run and jump around as if it was waayyy lighter than it actually is. The latter point applies to all monsters, though.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Eel221 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:00 pm Not a fan of its humongous arms and the wideness of its "forehead". Also didn't like seeing this mechanical behemoth run and jump around as if it was waayyy lighter than it actually is. The latter point applies to all monsters, though.
I agree with you, this MG isn't among my favourites. Although to your last point, some monsters being agile works in some cases, like the Late Showa Era and Cartoons (G:TS).
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I'm not a big fan, but since getting the Monsterarts figure last Monday, I've grown to appreciate the design a bit more.

The main issues really are its oversized arms. They're as long as his legs are and are so huge it looks as though Mechagodzilla doesn't have a neck from the side view. The spines are also pretty bland and don't resemble Godzilla spines much at all.

It would look better with a crest and teeth too. All Mechagodzillas have crests and teeth. Even RPO got that right.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Godzilla4Life
Ronin

Post by Godzilla4Life »

amazing roar scary colorful 5 star for me
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :mechagodzilla1993: :mechagodzilla1993:

Godzillaninja2019
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzillaninja2019 »

the design was good i just 50/50 with the whole crane claw for hands, i kinda like some of the concept art where the hands were more traditional hands maybe something to RP1 mechagodzilla where we get finger missles again. idk maybe the design will grow on to me like mothra 2019 looks did