Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Re: New Godzilla Series On Apple TV+

Post by Moogabunga »

Pkmatrix wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:45 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:34 amI am more or less fine with how they handled Cranston, but I would have liked to have seen him maybe make it a LITTLE farther into the film, maybe at least to Hawaii. It is one of those scenarios where, you get Bryan Cranston on the heels of Breaking Bad, and you REALLY should have altered the film to put him more at the center. It just feels tone deaf at that point in time to exercise the "Decoy protagonist" trope.
From what I recall of the earlier draft of the script (which I've got floating around here somewhere, probably on my Google Drive), they DID put him more center. Unless I'm misremembering, Joe Brody had a smaller role prior to the Darabont rewrite.

EDIT: Okay, apparently I am misremembering because in the draft of the script I have (from 2012) Joe (named "Nathan Brody" in this draft) DOESN'T DIE AT ALL and survives the whole movie. Also, this is the draft where Elle is Ford's sister not his wife and neither of them have a child. In this draft Ford is at Honolulu International on his way TO Japan after he and his sister realize their father, who lives in a trailer park in the US not an apartment in Tokyo, has run off to Japan to sneak into the containment zone - the whole sequence in the abandoned city and at former plant is Nathan/Joe alone. Elle is in the city during the monster battle, but in this draft Nathan is with her and the script keeps cutting between Nathan/Elle, Ford/Soldiers, and Godzilla fighting the Mutos.

Geez, I remembered far less of this early draft than I thought lol.
That sounds like a MUCH better script than what we got...and now I'm sad :cry:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Moogabunga wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:18 pm
Chrispy_G wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:34 amI am more or less fine with how they handled Cranston, but I would have liked to have seen him maybe make it a LITTLE farther into the film, maybe at least to Hawaii. It is one of those scenarios where, you get Bryan Cranston on the heels of Breaking Bad, and you REALLY should have altered the film to put him more at the center. It just feels tone deaf at that point in time to exercise the "Decoy protagonist" trope.
From what I recall of the earlier draft of the script (which I've got floating around here somewhere, probably on my Google Drive), they DID put him more center. Unless I'm misremembering, Joe Brody had a smaller role prior to the Darabont rewrite.

EDIT: Okay, apparently I am misremembering because in the draft of the script I have (from 2012) Joe (named "Nathan Brody" in this draft) DOESN'T DIE AT ALL and survives the whole movie. Also, this is the draft where Elle is Ford's sister not his wife and neither of them have a child. In this draft Ford is at Honolulu International on his way TO Japan after he and his sister realize their father, who lives in a trailer park in the US not an apartment in Tokyo, has run off to Japan to sneak into the containment zone - the whole sequence in the abandoned city and at former plant is Nathan/Joe alone. Elle is in the city during the monster battle, but in this draft Nathan is with her and the script keeps cutting between Nathan/Elle, Ford/Soldiers, and Godzilla fighting the Mutos.

If you don't like the MV now you wouldn't have liked the 2012 script.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:22 pm

...Why?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Pkmatrix wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:45 amFrom what I recall of the earlier draft of the script (which I've got floating around here somewhere, probably on my Google Drive), they DID put him more center. Unless I'm misremembering, Joe Brody had a smaller role prior to the Darabont rewrite.

Makes me sad that wasn't the script they went with.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Jfc you guys STILL haven’t gotten over Bryan Cranston dying in G14? It’s been over 8 fucking years
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Moogabunga wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:23 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:22 pm
...Why?
When I read it, it was more or less the same film with a bigger Godzilla and Ford and Ellie were siblings instead of married abd while Cranston's characters stays alive, Ford is still the main character.

Max Borenstein still wrote the script and it had two joke in that likely would have been considered cringe.

Added in 1 minute 25 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:38 pm
Pkmatrix wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:45 amFrom what I recall of the earlier draft of the script (which I've got floating around here somewhere, probably on my Google Drive), they DID put him more center. Unless I'm misremembering, Joe Brody had a smaller role prior to the Darabont rewrite.

Makes me sad that wasn't the script they went with.
It wasn't that different from what we got anyway.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:57 pmIt wasn't that different from what we got anyway.
But Nathan (Joe) would have lived. That would have been an improvement.

Added in 1 minute 11 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:57 pm Max Borenstein still wrote the script and it had two joke in that likely would have been considered cringe.
Let me guess. Probably would had involved around something similar to sexually transmitted diseases, hand sanitizers made from gardens or showering in bleach? Right?

A pure reminder why Legendary should fire his ass and get a new writer.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:19 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:57 pmIt wasn't that different from what we got anyway.
But Nathan (Joe) would have lived. That would have been an improvement.

Added in 1 minute 11 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:57 pm Max Borenstein still wrote the script and it had two joke in that likely would have been considered cringe.
Let me guess. Probably would had involved around something similar to sexually transmitted diseases, hand sanitizers made from gardens or showering in bleach? Right?

A pure reminder why Legendary should fire his ass and get a new writer.
Preach

Added in 9 minutes 3 seconds:
Handsome Shrek wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:50 pm Jfc you guys STILL haven’t gotten over Bryan Cranston dying in G14? It’s been over 8 skreeonking years
Irrelevant how long it's been. The FACT is the Monsterverse would have been MUCH better if Bryan Cranston had lived and had been the main character of the franchise. Instead, we got solid movie with 2014, a mediocre movie that didn't live to its potential with KOTM...and an absolute trash fire movie with GvK.

I'd love to travel to an alternate dimension and just see how the Monsterverse would have unfolded had Bryan Cranston stayed on. EVERYTHING would be different. G14 would be different and much better received. KOTM would have been very different as would GvK. The outlook of the future would be so much more positive.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Handsome Shrek wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:50 pm Jfc you guys STILL haven’t gotten over Bryan Cranston dying in G14? It’s been over 8 skreeonking years
There's also people who still hasn't gotten over the Spino winning against the T-Rex in Jurassic Park III.

In other related news. Water is wet.

Added in 1 minute 30 seconds:
Moogabunga wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:50 pm Irrelevant how long it's been. The FACT is the Monsterverse would have been MUCH better if Bryan Cranston had lived and had been the main character of the franchise. Instead, we got solid movie with 2014, a mediocre movie that didn't live to its potential with KOTM...and an absolute trash fire movie with GvK.

I'd love to travel to an alternate dimension and just see how the Monsterverse would have unfolded had Bryan Cranston stayed on. EVERYTHING would be different. G14 would be different and much better received. KOTM would have been very different as would GvK. The outlook of the future would be so much more positive.
Notably I would have seen Bryan Cranston perhaps filling in Mark Russell's role. My ideal MonsterVerse having Madison (Aged up and played by a different actor) being his daughter and Ford's brother already being a character in G14.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Bryan Cranston was not going to make G14 mu h more successful then what it already was. Bryan Cranston was all over Power Rangers and it ended up preforming worse.

The MV had misteaps that looked to have finally been fixed with GvsK. If you don't like that I'm sorry, maybe something will catch your attention or hopefully Toho is putting out something you do like.

Added in 1 minute 2 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:03 pm
There's also people who still hasn't gotten over the Spino winning against the T-Rex in Jurassic Park III.

Added in 1 minute 30 seconds:
Moogabunga wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:50 pm Irrelevant how long it's been. The FACT is the Monsterverse would have been MUCH better if Bryan Cranston had lived and had been the main character of the franchise. Instead, we got solid movie with 2014, a mediocre movie that didn't live to its potential with KOTM...and an absolute trash fire movie with GvK.

Notably I would have seen Bryan Cranston perhaps filling in Mark Russell's role. My ideal MonsterVerse having Madison (Aged up and played by a different actor) being his daughter and Ford's brother already being a character in G14.
Do you know how people that aren't over T-Rex vs Spino get talked about online nowadays?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Without reading the same dialogue we’ve seen repeated verbatim since 2014 ^, the Russells ironically enough are the biggest heavy hitters to step up to bat in this MV franchise.

Guarantee the committee was like “How do we sell the Russell family to general audiences?”

Then some guy wearing a The Thing T-shirt with a Halloween cap flipped his sunglasses up and said “Well what if we get the real Russell family to run this franchise?”

And here we are.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:03 pm

Doesn’t make the Bryan Cranston situation any less ridiculous

Added in 7 minutes 6 seconds:
Moogabunga wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:50 pm
Irrelevant how long it's been. The FACT is the Monsterverse would have been MUCH better if Bryan Cranston had lived and had been the main character of the franchise. Instead, we got solid movie with 2014, a mediocre movie that didn't live to its potential with KOTM...and an absolute trash fire movie with GvK.

Lol yeah I disagree with everything you said here. It’s not like adding Tobey and Andrew to No Way Home, where they are hugely relevant to the plot and play iconic versions of the title character. Joe Brody is just… a character. That’s what most human characters are in movies about disasters anyway.

John C Reilly was a fine addition to Skull Island. But his absence wouldn’t have really changed anything drastically. The film would’ve been by-and-large the same thing

Tom Hanks wouldn’t have made 2012 any better if he was the lead. The movie still would’ve sucked ass
Last edited by Handsome Shrek on Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Personally, I'd prefer such a spin-off TV series to be fully animated.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

"Delusional" doesn't even begin to describe you if you think G14 wouldn't have been much better received (thus made more money) if Bryan Cranston had lived. Word of mouth for G14 consisted almost exclusively of two things 1) Bryan Cranston dies early and 2) Godzilla is barely in it. By fixing one of the biggest problems people REPEATEDLY mentioned, it is thus only common sense to know people would have enjoyed it more. Word of mouth would have been stronger.

And people seem to be forgetting the days of 2014 marketing. Bryan Cranston had JUST come off of Breaking Bad, one of the greatest shows of all time. People were incredibly excited to see what he'd do next. It's why the marketing department focused on him HEAVILY. It's why comments were flooded with "Walter White vs Godzilla". He had a ton of fans waiting to see his next project. So, by killing him off, you're essentially sending those fans away. And yes, you can mention other projects that have Bryan Cranston and failed, but they didn't happen during the peak of his popularity.
Last edited by Moogabunga on Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Eh.

I think "Godzilla is barely in it, you hardly see any monster action" was a MUCH bigger deterrent for people coming to see a GODZILLA MOVIE than Cranston's character dying early.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Wasn't this thread supposed to be about the Apple series?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Moogabunga wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:19 am "Delusional" doesn't even begin to describe you if you think G14 wouldn't have been much better received (thus made more money) if Bryan Cranston had lived. Word of mouth for G14 consisted almost exclusively of two things 1) Bryan Cranston dies early and 2) Godzilla is barely in it. By fixing one of the biggest problems people REPEATEDLY mentioned, it is thus only common sense to know people would have enjoyed it more. Word of mouth would have been stronger.

And people seem to be forgetting the days of 2014 marketing. Bryan Cranston had JUST come off of Breaking Bad, one of the greatest shows of all time. People were incredibly excited to see what he'd do next. It's why the marketing department focused on him HEAVILY. It's why comments were flooded with "Walter White vs Godzilla". He had a ton of fans waiting to see his next project. So, by killing him off, you're essentially sending those fans away. And yes, you can mention other projects that have Bryan Cranston and failed, but they didn't happen during the peak of his popularity.
Then why did power rangers do so bad when he was all over the marketing and the film.

How much more do you think G14 would have taken in?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:57 pm
Max Borenstein still wrote the script
Certified Max Borenstien moment.
Lukewarm take, but while Borenstien seems to be good at conceptualizing overarching narratives for a universe (his post-GvK interview is pretty good), hid dialogue is the flattest shit imagineable. KOTM and GvK are far from perfect, but you can definitely feel the difference in dialogue between them and 2014/K:SI (KOTM's dialogue is more cheesy than bland, and I personally had no big problems with GvK's dialogue).

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:23 pmThen why did power rangers do so bad when he was all over the marketing and the film.

Because at the time of G14. Bryan Cranston's popularity was at the height of its peak. Show ended around eight months before the film came out.

By the time Power Rangers came out it had been a few years so it probably settled down.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:19 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:23 pmThen why did power rangers do so bad when he was all over the marketing and the film.

Because at the time of G14. Bryan Cranston's popularity was at the height of its peak. Show ended around eight months before the film came out.

By the time Power Rangers came out it had been a few years so it probably settled down.
So people forgot this super popular actor in 2-3 years off a show that was super popular, so popular it got a spin off right now that people are still watching in similar amounts.

I think G fans didn't care for Ford and think Cranston would have made the film better the same way we in the kotm group feel it would have done better without the competition.

If Cranston is in the film it makes how much more? Does it get 600m off one actor? Maybe if it was the Rock. I can't see Cranston generating maybe 20-30m more based on killing Ford instead in G14 or using the G12 script.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image