Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: New Godzilla Series On Apple TV+

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I said it once and I'll say it again. Can Legendary please fire Max Borenstein and the other current writers and hire new ones? If there's one thing the MonsterVerse needs, it's better writers when it comes to most of the human characters.

Added in 10 minutes 16 seconds:
Spuro wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:32 pmI really didn't notice any line about hand sanitizer, and I've seen the movie multiple times by now. Feels like you're kinda making a mountain out of a molehill here.
You don't remember in the beginning of the film before Godzilla's first attack at the facility? Bernie talking to this guy about how he made hand sanitizer from his garden. That was the writers clearly referencing the COVID pandemic in real life.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:21 pm I'll never understand complaining/criticizing about anything. There's no fun in it.

I'm getting a Godzilla TV show.
But from the sound of it, this doesn't seem to be a GODZILLA TV show.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

The Mechagodzilla/APEX subplot should've been saved for Godzilla 3. Even then I would of used Mecha-King Ghidorah instead and then Mechagodzilla for later film where he's built from the metal remains of Mecha-King Ghidorah.

King Ghidorah-Mechagodzilla screamed Zod-Doomsday all over again.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:49 pm
Titanus_Rodan wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:21 pm I'll never understand complaining/criticizing about anything. There's no fun in it.

I'm getting a Godzilla TV show.
But from the sound of it, this doesn't seem to be a GODZILLA TV show.
Yeah, this is a major misconception (and as the person who titled this thread, I take a smidge of responsibility for that). But this is definitely gonna be a Monarch show

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm not referring to anyone here specifically, but I sense a LOT of Godzilla fans are going to go into full shit-fittin' meltdown mode when this finally comes out and it's NOTHING like what they were expecting.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:43 pm I said it once and I'll say it again. Can Legendary please fire Max Borenstein and the other current writers and hire new ones? If there's one thing the MonsterVerse needs, it's better writers when it comes to most of the human characters.

Added in 10 minutes 16 seconds:
Spuro wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:32 pmI really didn't notice any line about hand sanitizer, and I've seen the movie multiple times by now. Feels like you're kinda making a mountain out of a molehill here.
You don't remember in the beginning of the film before Godzilla's first attack at the facility? Bernie talking to this guy about how he made hand sanitizer from his garden. That was the writers clearly referencing the COVID pandemic in real life.
The sanitizer joke could have been about how clean freaks need it constantly. You do know that sanitizer people were around before covid like Ben from Jurassic world.

Added in 1 minute 35 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:52 pm The Mechagodzilla/APEX subplot should've been saved for Godzilla 3. Even then I would of used Mecha-King Ghidorah instead and then Mechagodzilla for later film where he's built from the metal remains of Mecha-King Ghidorah.

King Ghidorah-Mechagodzilla screamed Zod-Doomsday all over again.
I thought you use to like the MV, you seem like you woke up and started bashing just to bash one day.

Added in 2 minutes 42 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:24 pm horror movies today apparently can't sway away from it.
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:24 pmMBB wasn't that bad in Godzilla vs Kong
Are you kidding me? Madison was more unlikable in this film. Bitchy, egoistical and skreeonking condescending.

The only good human characters in this film were Nathan Lind, Ilene Andrews and Jia, even then Kong had more character to him then the former two even did. Jia ironically being the best human character in the film, a skreeonking kid was better then all the other human characters.
Madison is a teenage girl who lost her mother and was going to lose her own life had Godzilla in her eyes not saved her twice. Teenagers are highly emotional and the hero in Madison's stroy is being framed and no one wants to believe her.

As for bitchy who was she bitchy to other than Apex?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Not even lying here… most of the MV’s cast makes me wanna tear my ears off.
For Emperor and Empire!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:27 pmI thought you use to like the MV, you seem like you woke up and started bashing just to bash one day.
I do but like most movies doesn't mean it has its flaws and isn't perfect by any means. In the case of the MonsterVerse, most notably the majority of the human cast.

IMO Godzilla vs. Kong is a very flawed but otherwise fun film. It's biggest appeal IMO being the Kong side of the story, hollow earth concept (Both of which should've been saved for Kong 2), Kong's character development and the fights. If I however treat it more like a Kong movie featuring Godzilla as a guest character, many of those flaws do go away.
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:27 pmAs for bitchy who was she bitchy to other than Apex?
The guy at the store with her notably saying "Look me in the eyes".

And the way she treats Josh, notably smacks him when they're driving in his brother's van.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:18 am The guy at the store with her notably saying "Look me in the eyes".

And the way she treats Josh, notably smacks him when they're driving in his brother's van.
That’s called being a typical teenage girl

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:44 amThat’s called being a typical teenage girl
Well she didn't seem to be doing that during the events of King of the Monsters now did she?

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

She treats her best friend like shit. She’s bossy and impulsive, arrogant as well.

And that’s fine. GvK kind of leans into. The rest of the cast is fairly likable. I just think of her as the Eric Cartman of the crew…

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:35 am She treats her best friend like poop. She’s bossy and impulsive, arrogant as well.
This.

Which along with Bernie and Josh being the worst human characters in the movie just made the Godzilla side of the story even more unbearable to get through.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

People fetishize her in GKOtM and I’m kind of curious as to why. She’s a nothing of a character in that film.

At LEAST GvK made her a character. It just happens that she’s not very nice.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:55 am People fetishize her in GKOtM and I’m kind of curious as to why. She’s a nothing of a character in that film.

At LEAST GvK made her a character. It just happens that she’s not very nice.
I'll take the Madison from King of the Monsters over the one we saw in Godzilla vs. Kong any day of the week, at least she wasn't bossy, arrogant, bitchy, egotistical, condescending and impulsive, all of the following. LMAO.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

She just ran around screaming and having no agency in GKoTM so I feel the opposite lol.

I get it though. If you want likable characters, GKOtM is better for that when it comes to her.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

King of the Monsters overall had better human characters.

As I stand, the only good human characters in Godzilla vs. Kong were Jia, Ilene Andrews and Nathan Lind.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Oof.

See, the only character I really like in GKOTM is Serizawa and I sorta like Mark Russell….though he’s kind of an arrogant blowhard etc. which makes his daughter’s personality in GvK make more sense. She’s just her dad with her mom’s craziness thrown in there too

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Agree to disagree then. Anyways, should probably drop this as we've gotten a bit off-topic and get back to the actual topic of the thread.

Anyways, not expecting the characters to be any good in this show but being too much of a kaiju fan, I still look forward to this and going to watch it never the less.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:55 am People fetishize her in GKOtM and I’m kind of curious as to why. She’s a nothing of a character in that film.
You’re curious as to why people fetishize her because she’s nothing of a character?

I’m far more concerned about the fact that people are fetishizing an actress who was 12 years old when she filmed that movie 🤮
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Lol. Fair enough. It’s all creepy.

There’s numerous Twitter pages set up with her name and linkeness.