Who Was Godzilla's Toughest Opponent in the Monsterverse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Choose 2

Shinomura
1%
The MUTOs
4%
MUTO Prime
3%
King Ghidorah
41%
Scylla
1%
Genitor & Swarm
No votes
Tiamat
No votes
Kong
5%
Mechagodzilla
45%

Total votes: 98

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Re: Who Was Godzilla's Toughest Opponent in the Monsterverse?

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:07 pm
TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:35 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:34 pm

Ghidorah won in Antarctica and Godzilla was tired against Mechagodzilla.
Ghidorah flew away lmao
He lost
He retreated
He left after he beat Godzilla. Leaving a fight doesn't mean you lost.
No, he left after Godzilla crawled back out of the pit. If he immediately threw him in and THEN left, that'd be a victory. But he flies away AFTER Godzilla begins to walk to him again. He forfeited the match.

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Spuro wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:22 am
TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:57 pm MechaGodzilla.
King Ghidorah lost all three fights he had with Godzilla in King of The Monsters. Godzilla couldn't even win one against MechaGodzilla.

This is why I consider MechaGodzilla to be Godzilla true arch-nemesis, by the way.
Ghidorah has never won against Godzilla, while MechaGodzilla has 5 times. No contest.
He also won in Boston until the Orca took his attention off the defeated Godzilla and allowed him to go into burning mode.
No because Godzilla was never actually down for the count in that fight. Ghidorah just had him all tangled up. He was still making an attempt to fight back while Ghido was sucking the energy from him.

Take Kong from the last GvK fight as an example. He went down. He stopped fighting. If he had instead been pinned by Godzilla's foot but kept struggling until MG showed up, he didn't lose just yet.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:40 am

He also won in Boston until the Orca took his attention off the defeated Godzilla and allowed him to go into burning mode.
No because Godzilla was never actually down for the count in that fight. Ghidorah just had him all tangled up. He was still making an attempt to fight back while Ghido was sucking the energy from him.

Take Kong from the last GvK fight as an example. He went down. He stopped fighting. If he had instead been pinned by Godzilla's foot but kept struggling until MG showed up, he didn't lose just yet.
Okay, so by that logic, Godzilla didn't lose to Mechagodzilla in GvK either? :P
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Spuro wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:35 am
TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:40 am

Okay, so by that logic, Godzilla didn't lose to Mechagodzilla in GvK either? :P
In Godzilla vs Kong, Godzilla was being beaten around by MechaGodzilla for the entire fight, and was imminently about to have his head blasted off by MechaGodzilla's proton scream. Godzilla dominated the Boston fight until Ghidorah got powered up. Ghidorah wasn't even done lifting Godzilla off of the ground when the ORCA was activated in KoTM and he left

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

Yeah…Godzilla made no attenpt at getting up, much less fighting back after Ghidorah dropped him. Only reason he was able to get back up was because Mothra’s energy healed him up into his burning state.
Last edited by Monke on Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:37 am
TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:35 pm
Ghidorah flew away lmao
He lost
He retreated
No, he left after Godzilla crawled back out of the pit. If he immediately threw him in and THEN left, that'd be a victory. But he flies away AFTER Godzilla begins to walk to him again. He forfeited the match.
Ghidorah left because not only was Godzilla about to get help but he didn't want to fight Godzilla anymore. At best Antarctica is a draw.

Ghidorah had already floored Godzilla three times in that fight.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:41 am Ghidorah left because not only was Godzilla about to get help but he didn't want to fight Godzilla anymore. At beat Antarctica is a draw. Ghidorah had already floored Godzilla three times in that fight.
Ghidorah floored Godzilla without help, three times by your own admission...and you say "at best Antarctica is a draw"?!?
Last edited by G1985 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

G1985 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:39 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:41 am Ghidorah left because not only was Godzilla about to get help but he didn't want to fight Godzilla anymore. At beat Antarctica is a draw. Ghidorah had already floored Godzilla three times in that fight.
Ghidorah floored Godzilla without help, three times by your own admission...and you say "at best Antarctica is a draw"?!?
At best someone can argue it was a draw for Godzilla. I've said since day 1 Ghidorah kicked his ass in Antarctica.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:41 am

Ghidorah left because not only was Godzilla about to get help but he didn't want to fight Godzilla anymore. At best Antarctica is a draw.

e.g. a loss

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:09 pm

e.g. a loss
e.g. I'm tired of kicking your ass and now your bringing in help. I have more important things to do.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:03 pm

e.g. a loss
e.g. I'm tired of kicking your ass and now your bringing in help. I have more important things to do.
If you are the one to disengage then you lost the fight

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:18 am
e.g. a loss
If you've kicked someone's ass and then leave because your tired of winning you did not lose.

If you knocked me out 3 times and then walked away I would be a fool to claim I won the fight.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:41 am

If you've kicked someone's ass and then leave because your tired of winning you did not lose.

If you knocked me out 3 times and then walked away I would be a fool to claim I won the fight.
Except Godzilla was never knocked out during that fight lmao. He was pushed into a chasm and inexplicably climbed out 3 seconds later

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:05 am
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:41 am

Except Godzilla was never knocked out during that fight lmao. He was pushed into a chasm and inexplicably climbed out 3 seconds later
He was knocked down 3 times and pushed into a chasm and was down long enough for Ghidorah to eat Gram and get attacked by a monarch super jet.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

szmigiel wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:04 am It is King Ghidorah.

Simply because he can pretty much disengage from a fight, go regenerate quickly, and then choose the next time he wants to engage again. He learned his lesson not to engage Godzilla in the ocean, he can lure Godzilla on land and use flight to his advantage. MechaGodzilla looked good cause he jumped Godzilla after he just finished a serous beatdown. Every mark knows the best time for a heel to cash in an "anytime anywhere title shot" is right after the belt holder got done with a hard fought title match.
Agree with this. MG certainly thrashed Godzilla, but the fact of the matter is the fact of the matter: Godzilla was totally gassed. He used up a ton of energy boring the hole to Hollow Earth, then had a massive throwdown with Kong, and THEN MG appears.

That's a whole different battle with a fresh Godzilla.

KG was beating a freshly powered-up Godzilla before Mothra saved the day.

Godzilla vs Ghidorah was kind of like Godzilla vs Kong. They had 3 separate battles, and they all went differently.

G vs MG had only one, and it was a freshly powered-up MG vs totally-gassed G.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Mechagodzilla probably got the closest to killing Godzilla, although he seemed to have the benefit of fighting against Godzilla after he'd fought Kong and blown a hole down to the center of the Earth.

Godzilla fought King Ghidorah after being supercharged and still got beat pretty bad, needing both Mothra's and the humans' help in diverting Ghidorah until he could go into Burning mode.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Spoiler:
Mechagodzilla was one of the closest to actually killing Godzilla during their fight with its physical prowess giving Godzilla no room to fight back before Kong was convinced to help. However, you could make the debate (and it has been made in the past) that Godzilla was exhausted by the fight with Kong and thus not at his peak at the time he fought Mechagodzilla. Ghidorah, however, doesn't have that excuse. Both fights ended abruptly, the first was so Ghidorah could focus on the Alpha Call and the other by the pointless oxygen destroyer, but the last was when King Ghidorah could've been the true alpha. Ghidorah had him dead to rights after the big fall before Mothra came in to help by sacrificing herself to give him energy.

Even so, Emma Russell needed to buy more time before Burning Godzilla came into play and spelled doom for him. Therefore, I would have to say that King Ghidorah gets the title for Godzilla's toughest opponent
... :g2k: vs. :Mechagodzilla74: & :g2k: vs. :KingGhidorah64:
Last edited by HillyHulk on Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Masterofsome01
Samurai

Post by Masterofsome01 »

I'm voting for King Ghidorah, yeah Mechagodzilla ragdolled Godzilla up and down Hong Kong but at the time G was clearly not at his best (Drilling a giant hole to the Hollow Earth AND fighting a giant monkey would take a lot out of you) plus the the Director of GvK even said had Godzilla come into his fight with MG fresh it wouldn't have been as one-sided as it was on film (Sure MechaG would most likely get the upper hand eventually, but it would be a back and forth for awhile probably instead of a straight up curbstomp)

Meanwhile KG was still able to keep up with a nuke-charged Godzilla and almost won after the orbital drop had the humans not distracted Ghidorah with the ORCA, the only points Godzilla had the clear advantage was when he dragged Ghidorah into the water and after he entered his burning state
Last edited by Masterofsome01 on Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Tough one. Definitely think that it is definitely close between Ghidorah and Kong. Personally, I voted for Mechagodzilla. I think that even if Godzilla was full powered, Mechagodzilla certainly has the strength and power in its Proton Scream to challenge Godzilla. Coupled with being controlled by Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla possesses a brutal and calculated fighting style. Also, Mechagodzilla was able to simultaneously handle both Godzilla and Kong and would have prevailed if it weren't for a little spilled scotch. Ghidorah, while powerful, was a bit overwhelmed when Mothra came in to help Godzilla out prior to Rodan showing up.

Godzilla2020
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzilla2020 »

goji89 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:03 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:58 pm
Voyager wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:56 pm

Aside from the sky drop, what did he do that compares to MG?
Dude it’s the sky drop! I legit thought Godzilla was going to die for a second. Before I realized plot armor would save the day.
Yeah, that sky drop was deadly. But aside from that meh.
Ghidorah's tails choked Godzilla out in seconds before that. I'd say that's pretty painful, on top of the massive drop kick to the face he went for before that.

Also, lol at anyone voting Kong here. The guy that Godzilla wasn't taking seriously for most of the fight and the moment he stopped holding back, beat him into a coma.

Especially voting for him over Taimat. She put up a massively better fight and had Goji on the ropes.
Last edited by Godzilla2020 on Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.