Rodan Alpha level Titan?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Is Rodan an Alpha level Titan?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 39

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Re: Rodan Alpha level Titan?

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Moth wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:49 am Michael "Rodan will be an equal to Godzilla again" Dougherty. My favorite MV director. :)
Did he actually say that word for word…?
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:36 pm
Moth wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:49 am Michael "Rodan will be an equal to Godzilla again" Dougherty. My favorite MV director. :)
Knowing Michael, probably.
For Emperor and Empire!

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Mentally: yes
Physically: no

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

It's paraphrased. The exact quote was:
Michael Dougherty wrote:"Rodan’s been kind of a sidekick character, but I’ve always had a soft spot for him. In a lot of ways he’s more powerful than Godzilla. He’s like this winged A-bomb. I think we’ve done him justice.”
Last edited by Spuro on Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Spuro wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:48 pm
It's paraphrased. The exact quote was:
Michael Dougherty wrote:"Rodan’s been kind of a sidekick character, but I’ve always had a soft spot for him. In a lot of ways he’s more powerful than Godzilla. He’s like this winged A-bomb. I think we’ve done him justice.”
Ah, I remember that particular quote.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of how Michael switches things up in different interviews. One minute he says Rodan is just as if not more powerful than Godzilla, the next he says the only reason they didn't make Rodan the villain of this movie (which would've been awesome) is because he "isn't powerful enough. He's more of s sidekick, a henchmonster."
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

TBH, he did kind of do that?

Like, he's not equal to Godzilla on a status/power level, but he's shown as a incredibly dangerous monster who literally levels a city flying by and the final battle HEAVILY implies Ghidorah wouldn't be doing so good if Rodan wasn't on his side.

So he definitely brought back the "chaotic natural and cause of destruction (both intentional and not) animal" from 1956 if not the "monster that can go toe to toe with Godzilla and is one of the most powerful monsters on Earth)" from the 1960s

RIP Evan.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Considering Godzilla got 3 power ups in this film I wonder if Rodan was equal to the 2014 Godzilla when Mike was initially writhing the film.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Oh wow, for the first time ever here I'm part of the majority opinion!

Yeah, Rodan is clearly a cocky beta boi who wants to pose like he alpha.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:49 am Rodan probably considers himself Alpha material, but his actual ability to hang with Alphas is pretty clearly demonstrated in KOTM. He's a cocky punk who would grab power if he could, but he can't. Trying to attack Ghidorah does not make him an Alpha. My tiny, cat-sized terrier just tried her damndest to banzai charge the pitbull across the street. He could literally eat her. Her attitude doesn't make her an alpha wolf, just an idiot.
So let me get this straight. When Kong "punches up" he is not cocky but a heroic badass yet when Rodan does the same he is just a cocky punk? That makes no sense at all. If anything that makes Kong an even cockier punk than Rodan because he really thought he could take on Godzilla. Especially considering Rodan took on a threat even bigger than Godzilla. A monster literally capable of changing the entire planet to his needs. At least Rodan did not need nonsensical plot armor to fight Ghidorah. Sure he lost but he didn't have something silly to deflect Ghidorah's beams or anything. This is why I just do not like the MV. It just sacrifices too much for GA entertainment.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Lesko wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:19 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:49 am Rodan probably considers himself Alpha material, but his actual ability to hang with Alphas is pretty clearly demonstrated in KOTM. He's a cocky punk who would grab power if he could, but he can't. Trying to attack Ghidorah does not make him an Alpha. My tiny, cat-sized terrier just tried her damndest to banzai charge the pitbull across the street. He could literally eat her. Her attitude doesn't make her an alpha wolf, just an idiot.
So let me get this straight. When Kong "punches up" he is not cocky but a heroic badass yet when Rodan does the same he is just a cocky punk? That makes no sense at all. If anything that makes Kong an even cockier punk than Rodan because he really thought he could take on Godzilla. Especially considering Rodan took on a threat even bigger than Godzilla. A monster literally capable of changing the entire planet to his needs. At least Rodan did not need nonsensical plot armor to fight Ghidorah. Sure he lost but he didn't have something silly to deflect Ghidorah's beams or anything. This is why I just do not like the MV. It just sacrifices too much for GA entertainment.
You're reading an opinion into my post that I didn't put there. And based on that opinion, which I don't hold, I think you're accusing me of being a member of the general audience.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Did he just accuse you of being a General Audience member?

On my block being called a GA would get you shot.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

That’s some serious shit. On my block being called a GA could get you community service at best, and a lengthy prison sentence at worst!
For Emperor and Empire!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:57 pm
You're reading an opinion into my post that I didn't put there. And based on that opinion, which I don't hold, I think you're accusing me of being a member of the general audience.
I mean…he’s not necessarily wrong in that sense
Last edited by Jermobooka on Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

Did he just accuse you of being a General Audience member?

On my block being called a GA would get you shot.
That’s some serious poop. On my block being called a GA could get you community service at best, and a lengthy prison sentence at worst!
Talk about jumping the gun! I should have known some would mistake my post for a troll. I'll give a short explanation of the point in my post in just a sec.
You're reading an opinion into my post that I didn't put there.
What was I supposed to get from it? It seemed pretty clear you were comparing Rodan to a cat trying to pick a fight with a much larger dog and being an idiot rather than an alpha as a result. If that is not what you were trying to get across, could you perhaps explain what you were trying to get across?

Ok so in case anyone didn't get my point here's what it is. I think it is silly to think Rodan is a cocky fool yet think Kong is a heroic at the same time. They either are both heroic or both cocky fools. Now sure you could argue Kong was more brave in that he literally was at Godzilla's mercy but still did not surrender. That's one thing since Rodan does surrender when beaten yet Kong does not. However it's another thing to think that he isn't just as stupid for honestly thinking he could take on Godzilla as Rodan did Ghidorah. Especially for a titan known for his intelligence, I would say Kong was stupid. Or if not that, definitely crazy at the very least. Crazy to the point of making irrational decisions.

As for the GA thing, yeah I really do believe things like this are concessions to the GA rather than diehard fans. Rather than Godzilla slaying Kong like he seemed to do every other entry in the MV, he does the out of character sparing Kong. Very odd behavior from Godzilla. Especially considering the two species had a fierce war. Now you could be a GA member, or a Godzilla fan, or both. That really wasn't my other point. My point on the GA thing was that: Things like Godzilla sparing Kong were done to appeal to GAs rather than fans. GAs love Kong over Godzilla. I don't think there's any hard data to prove this but it's pretty obvious. Just go to any place that allows comments or ask people in the real world who aren't diehard Godzilla fans who they felt more sympathy for and who they preferred? 9 times out of 10 or so it's gonna be Kong. So if Godzilla just killed Kong like he would if the movie was forced to behave like past entries, the GAs would be outraged and the entry of GvK probably would have suffered as a result of this. In my opinion, things like this ruined the enjoyment for me.

Now I know my second point is kind of off topic but it certainly seems nobody understood the whole point of my post and hopefully that is no longer an issue now. If anyone is too lazy I'll just post a quick TLDR:
I think Rodan and Kong are equally foolish and/or stupid for taking on way tougher opponents. and I think "unrealistic" decisions by Godzilla were purely driven to appease the GAs who prefer Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Lesko wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:55 pm
Lesko wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:19 pm What was I supposed to get from it? It seemed pretty clear you were comparing Rodan to a cat trying to pick a fight with a much larger dog and being an idiot rather than an alpha as a result. If that is not what you were trying to get across, could you perhaps explain what you were trying to get across?

Ok so in case anyone didn't get my point here's what it is. I think it is silly to think Rodan is a cocky fool yet think Kong is a heroic at the same time. They either are both heroic or both cocky fools. Now sure you could argue Kong was more brave in that he literally was at Godzilla's mercy but still did not surrender. That's one thing since Rodan does surrender when beaten yet Kong does not. However it's another thing to think that he isn't just as stupid for honestly thinking he could take on Godzilla as Rodan did Ghidorah. Especially for a titan known for his intelligence, I would say Kong was stupid. Or if not that, definitely crazy at the very least. Crazy to the point of making irrational decisions.

As for the GA thing, yeah I really do believe things like this are concessions to the GA rather than diehard fans. Rather than Godzilla slaying Kong like he seemed to do every other entry in the MV, he does the out of character sparing Kong. Very odd behavior from Godzilla. Especially considering the two species had a fierce war. Now you could be a GA member, or a Godzilla fan, or both. That really wasn't my other point. My point on the GA thing was that: Things like Godzilla sparing Kong were done to appeal to GAs rather than fans. GAs love Kong over Godzilla. I don't think there's any hard data to prove this but it's pretty obvious. Just go to any place that allows comments or ask people in the real world who aren't diehard Godzilla fans who they felt more sympathy for and who they preferred? 9 times out of 10 or so it's gonna be Kong. So if Godzilla just killed Kong like he would if the movie was forced to behave like past entries, the GAs would be outraged and the entry of GvK probably would have suffered as a result of this. In my opinion, things like this ruined the enjoyment for me.

Now I know my second point is kind of off topic but it certainly seems nobody understood the whole point of my post and hopefully that is no longer an issue now. If anyone is too lazy I'll just post a quick TLDR:
I think Rodan and Kong are equally foolish and/or stupid for taking on way tougher opponents. and I think "unrealistic" decisions by Godzilla were purely driven to appease the GAs who prefer Kong.
Godzilla only wipes out threats to himself or the natural order. in KOTM he got extra satisfaction seeing the Muto bow to him over the other Titans and Kong was dying when Godzilla left him.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm just confused as to how Kong became part of this conversation. I said nothing about him in my post about Rodan, and you came in swinging with this comparison to Kong. I don't consider GvK Kong a 'heroic badass', and in fact didn't like or approve of anything about GvK. You're making false assumptions of my opinions and then arguing with me based on those false assumptions.

And for the record, I'm not taking offense to any of this; the GA comment was a joke.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Nagoda
Futurian

Post by Nagoda »

Has anyone brought up Kong bring a Heroic Badass in here? I brought up that he was too stubborn to back down like the other alphas in the Monsterverse. I don’t think anyone said he was a hero at any point.
A reminder to watch Chouseishin Gransazers.
_______
A semi-talented Chibi who is always tired.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Nagoda wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:53 pm Has anyone brought up Kong bring a Heroic Badass in here? I brought up that he was too stubborn to back down like the other alphas in the Monsterverse. I don’t think anyone said he was a hero at any point.
Lesko did, and now he’s the one complaining. Huh.
For Emperor and Empire!

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

I'm not complaining. Talk about putting words in my mouth lol. Nor did I mention anyone outright was comparing Kong to Rodan. If you read my post you'd understand that while some of you don't think Kong is a heroic badass, the GA does. I could talk about why Godzilla not killing Kong is ridiculous despite the attempts at rationalizing it all day but that's not even the point of this thread so I'm just going to stop myself right there before this thread gets locked.

For the record I still think Rodan is a poor alpha. I think technically he could be one maybe in a smaller setting like an island or something, but definitely not even close to Godzilla. As I said think of him as Caligula or something. Someone that could lead if they really wanted to but it not really interested in to and is more interested in just doing what he wants to do. Needless to say the "wanting" on his part is just to be a jerk rather than actual order. I also think Rodan's loss against Ghidorah needs to be examined a bit. Ghidorah is pretty powerful though so it is no surprise he won so easily, but among the rest of the Titans Rodan seems to be higher on the power tier. Again, not anywhere near as close as Godzilla but I could see Rodan dealing with some of the lesser Titans with relative ease. Kong included. Having a fire aura and control over volcanos is more impressive than the majority of lesser Titans.

(Edited some bad spelling and grammar lol)
Last edited by Lesko on Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

Lesko wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:40 pm I'm not complaining. Talk about putting words in my mouth lol. Nor did I mention anyone outright was comparing Kong to Rodan. If you read my post you'd understand that while some of you don't think Kong is a heroic badass, the GA does. I could talk about why Godzilla not killing Kong is ridiculous despite the attempts at rationalizing it all day but that's not even the point of this thread so I'm just going to stop myself right there before this thread gets locked.

For the record I still think Rodan is a poor alpha. I think technically he could be one maybe in a smaller setting like an island or something, but definitely not even close to Godzilla. As I said think of him as Caligula or something. Someone that could lead if they really wanted to but it not really interested in to and is more interested in just doing what he wants to do. Needless to say the "wanting" on his part is just to be a jerk rather than actual order. I also think Rodan's loss against Ghidorah needs to be examined a bit. Ghidorah is pretty powerful though so it is no surprise he won so easily, but among the rest of the Titans Rodan seems to be higher on the power tier. Again, not anywhere near as close as Godzilla but I could see Rodan dealing with some of the lesser Titans with relative ease. Kong included. Having a fire aura and control over volcanos is more impressive than the majority of lesser Titans.

(Edited some bad spelling and grammar lol)
This got me thinking--Mothra is considered an Alpha, right? She challenged Ghidorah, just like Rodan did, but she got obliterated, and while Rodan got dropped, he survived the same blast (at point blank, mind) from Monster Zero that Mothra failed to. True, he later kneeled before Zo--I mean, Ghidorah (and later Godzilla), but Kong also (begrudgingly) acknowledged Godzilla's athoritah. If he's not a Top Tier Alpha, couldn't he at least be Mid Tier Alpha?