A Gwangi Monsterverse film

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LegendZilla
Sazer

A Gwangi Monsterverse film

Post by LegendZilla »

Good afternoon everybody, LegendZilla here. Since I tend to bring up this subject every now and then across the Monsterverse section, I just thought I'd set up a whole thread dedicated to it. That being whether or not It's a good idea to bring everyone's favorite Allosaur, Gwangi into the foray of this particular cinematic universe.

Let's be real, now WB has the rights to feature Toho's entire Big Five kaiju stars, chances are slim that they will bother to get much more familiar monsters after that. Perhaps 2 at the most. Sorry to disappoint any Gorosaurus fans out there, but I'd say it's almost guaranteed that he won't be one of them. Hence, I thought of another fictional theropod who just might be a worthy substitute, particularly one that WB has in their very possession... Namely the aforementioned Gwangi himself.

Do you think He would be a worthy addition to the Monsterverse? If so, what do you think it would be like to give him the kaijufication treatment that were used to seeing Kong being given? Do you have any ideas for how the story to such a film could play out, or its cast of characters? I just so happen to have a clear idea of how it would go.

I know I brought up the plot before, but allow me to jog your memory for those of you who don't remember. I think it should follow a lone cowboy living in 1948 who is struggling to keep the ways of the old west alive. Due to the fact he is living in a constantly-changing world, doing so proves to be a real hardship. He his short on money and the government wants to demolish his ranch to make way for highway unless he can pay. However, he receives a mysterious phone-call from a anonymous s group who is willing to pay him handsomely to partake on a secret mission. This group is none other than the newly-formed MONARCH preparing for their first major expedition. The cowboy is told that their has been sighting of strange creatures in an uncharted valley along the US/Mexico border. Said valley just so happens to be in the proximity of areas in which the US government did nuclear tests. They believe that using his herding skills, the cowboy will be useful in heling them capture a creature or two from the valley for research. Little do they know that the creatures they have been aware of as of now are insignificant compared to what they are truly in for... Much bigger ones, or Titans per say have dominion over the depths of the valley.

Anyways, how s that for a synopsis? Do you like it? If not, would you care to tell me how I could improve?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: A Gwangi Monsterverse film

Post by Jermobooka »

There’s no way in hell they’re making a Gwangi movie lmao

most the omniversal++ level ‘saur would get is a minuscule reference.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Jermobooka wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:53 pm There’s no way in hell they’re making a Gwangi movie lmao

most the omniversal++ level ‘saur would get is a minuscule reference.
One can still dream right?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Really no need.

You could make a remake of Gwangi but one. not necessary to kaiju size it, the story would work just as well with normal sized dinosaurs. Hell upscale Gwangi by like 3 feet and it's the same movie and two. there's not a single justification to make Gwangi a kaiju other then the fact he's a monster WB owns that has some form of name, and that's a very flimsy reason to add him to a shared universe in a fan-fic, let alone a multi-media and million dollar media franchise.

.....but then again, Space Jam 2 and Ready Player One shows WB is willing to milk their IPS so idk.

RIP Evan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It’s a fucking boring ass typical dinosaur, what fucking use could it have in a Godzilla universe?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:46 pm It’s a skreeonking boring ass typical dinosaur, what skreeonking use could it have in a Godzilla universe?
How can anyone say no to dinosaurs? That's like saying what use does Gorosaurus have in any given Godzilla universe? The same can be said about a giant three-headed dragon, a giant moth, a lava-coated pterosaur and a big ape.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:15 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:46 pm It’s a skreeonking boring ass typical dinosaur, what skreeonking use could it have in a Godzilla universe?
How can anyone say no to dinosaurs? That's like saying what use does Gorosaurus have in any given Godzilla universe?
And that's why he isn't in anything else.

And what is it with Gwangi?

It's like they make it like some God like creature that could tank nuclear blasts and even take out Godzilla himself just simply by making it 100 meters.

I will NEVER NEVER get this damn thing about the Gwangi fandom.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Why is it me of all people who has such a nearly consistent track record of ideas that get almost unanimously met with total skepticism if not downright scoffed at around here?

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Keep his design, maybe turn up the purple.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:17 pm Hence, I thought of another fictional theropod who just might be a worthy substitute, particularly one that WB has in their very possession... Namely the aforementioned Gwangi himself.
IMO, this is the problem with your idea: Your only justification for this concept is, essentially, "Warner Bros. has the character rights." I don't think that's a good reason for the character to be forced into the Monsterverse.

The only notable thing about The Valley of Gwangi is that it transplants the basic King Kong plot into an old west setting. The Gwangi "character" itself is just a normal dinosaur with no remarkable attributes. Harryhausen doesn't even really give it a personality, just some Kong-esque pathos at its demise. The appeal of Gwangi lies almost entirely in its setting.

Your proposed plot frankly doesn't work because you'd have to dispense with those appealing elements to realistically pit Gwangi against the current Monsterverse characters in any followups. Think about it: Gwangi is naturally too small to contend with Godzilla and Kong, so although introducing radioactivity would grant him that ability for sequels, it would render the old west elements unusable (except in farce). Additionally, 1948 is too far in the past for any of your characters to appear in the present-day MV films. You'd be banking on audiences latching onto the Gwangi character you establish in your film, and I don't see the point of using an existing IP for that when said IP is just a basic, if old-fashioned, dinosaur. There's no reason why you couldn't make a new dinosaurian character that's already in the same scale as Godzilla, Kong, and the other major MV critters.
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:10 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:17 pm Hence, I thought of another fictional theropod who just might be a worthy substitute, particularly one that WB has in their very possession... Namely the aforementioned Gwangi himself.
IMO, this is the problem with your idea: Your only justification for this concept is, essentially, "Warner Bros. has the character rights." I don't think that's a good reason for the character to be forced into the Monsterverse.

The only notable thing about The Valley of Gwangi is that it transplants the basic King Kong plot into an old west setting. The Gwangi "character" itself is just a normal dinosaur with no remarkable attributes. Harryhausen doesn't even really give it a personality, just some Kong-esque pathos at its demise. The appeal of Gwangi lies almost entirely in its setting.

Your proposed plot frankly doesn't work because you'd have to dispense with those appealing elements to realistically pit Gwangi against the current Monsterverse characters in any followups. Think about it: Gwangi is naturally too small to contend with Godzilla and Kong, so although introducing radioactivity would grant him that ability for sequels, it would render the old west elements unusable (except in farce). Additionally, 1948 is too far in the past for any of your characters to appear in the present-day MV films. You'd be banking on audiences latching onto the Gwangi character you establish in your film, and I don't see the point of using an existing IP for that when said IP is just a basic, if old-fashioned, dinosaur. There's no reason why you couldn't make a new dinosaurian character that's already in the same scale as Godzilla, Kong, and the other major MV critters.
Why would my pitch for a Gwangi film being set in 1948 be any different than the first MCU Captain America movie being set in 1941? Back in 1962, Kong was originally much smaller and more lacking in durability than Godzilla, so in order for both to stand toe-toe Toho beefed him up. Why would doing it with Gwangi be any different?. Also, Since it's the 40's, you could have a younger version of John Goodman's character.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Why would they add Gwangi? There is no reason. It’s just some random-ass dinosaur from a random-ass movie.
For Emperor and Empire!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

There's no reason for some generic looking dinosaur like Gwangi to get the Monsterverse treatment. There is nothing Epic or Legendary or Grandiose about his inception into a world of Gods and Titans.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:41 pm There's no reason for some generic looking dinosaur like Gwangi to get the Monsterverse treatment. There is nothing Epic or Legendary or Grandiose about his inception into a world of Gods and Titans.
Says the man with Kong in his signature.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Not gonna happen
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:41 pm There's no reason for some generic looking dinosaur like Gwangi to get the Monsterverse treatment. There is nothing Epic or Legendary or Grandiose about his inception into a world of Gods and Titans.
By that logic, I guess there’s no reason for a generic-looking ape either.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:27 am
By that logic, I guess there’s no reason for a generic-looking ape either.
Oh come on. King Kong is a completely different circumstance than Gwangi. :?

I think it’s pretty clear this topic is pointless and is just going to generate useless bickering. I’m going to clock it and if any of the other staff disagrees, unlock it.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.