I have zero interest in seeing Godzilla in the MV again. Does anyone else feel the same?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

I have zero interest in seeing Godzilla in the MV again. Does anyone else feel the same?

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

The more i reflect upon the Monster Verse, the more i realize that i'm just tired of this version of Godzilla. His square face, barely visible eyes, the alpha monster role, and how mission oriented he is.

Really, it's just Kong and Rodan I want to see more of. Not Godzilla.

I'm not opposed to another Warner Brothers-Legendary made Godzilla film, but I think they need to move on from this version of the character. The design and characterization is dull. i want a new design, in a new universe, some horror, lots of tragedy, destruction, and in a world that takes monsters more seriously. With a new Godzilla actually headlining a movie for a change.

Is anyone else starting to feel the same?
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: I have zero interest in seeing Godzilla in the MV again. Does anyone else feel the same?

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Everything you described is Toho in recent years. Not everything is for everyone, you have that one.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Re: I have zero interest in seeing Godzilla in the MV again. Does anyone else feel the same?

Post by Moogabunga »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:42 amHis square face, barely visible eyes, the alpha monster role, and how mission oriented he is.

I'm not opposed to another Warner Brothers-Legendary made Godzilla film, but I think they need to move on from this version of the character. The design and characterization is dull. i want a new design, in a new universe, some horror, lots of tragedy, destruction, and in a world that takes monsters more seriously. With a new Godzilla actually headlining a movie for a change.

At this point, no. Legendary's Godzilla is simply one of, if not the absolute best incarnation of the character ever in terms of both design and characterization.

But I'll tell you what: If they plan on having Godzilla be treated like absolute trash, like some average run of the mill antagonist for a dumb monkey ever again, I'd change my tune pretty quickly.
Last edited by Moogabunga on Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Like fake said, what you described is pretty much what Toho is up to... minus the big Hollywood budget of course

I coul see some clone Goji showing up in the MV thiugh, maybe he could have some radically different design via some genetic tampering.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I’m sort of agree with you even though I do want to see more of Godzilla, let him have some fresh air for a bit, and take some time on making movies on other characters, because I heard statement of this is more of a Godzilla universe than an actual cinematic universe, I actually do agree with them, Godzilla has been in three movies which is like 3/4 Of this cinematic universe It’s like Iron Man has 27 sequels to the first movie and all the other characters are only have one movie and they called that a cinematic universe, heck even in the comics there’s no other characters then Godzilla and Kong not A single Rodan comic has been out, so yeah I agree with you in some extent
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The idea that what Toho has been doing recently with Godzilla is the same as what has been going on in the MV is a bold-faced fallacy.

That being said, I saw Godzilla 2014 on Netflix today, and then saw Godzilla vs Kong in theaters for the first time. Loved both and if they continue the series I would be interested in it just as well. I think the monsterverse is the strongest when it’s been exploring its own ideas (MUTOs, Hollow Earth) and not when it’s been trying to emulate older Godzilla films (all of KOTM essentially, sans the underwater kingdom bit). Jia and Kong’s relationship, provided an emotional core that I really loved upon a repeat viewing and gives the film some soul. If the monsterverse does more things like that, and doesn’t you-know, just force in Destoroyah or something stupid like that, I’m game. I also don’t want to see a film that’s just Godzilla vs. Kong again. Shake things up and try to be original.

Honestly sort of obnoxious how any thread discussing the monster-verse, or whatever is going on in SP, has to devolve into hissy fits of the other side going “no-u!”.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:55 am I’m sort of agree with you even though I do want to see more of Godzilla, let him have some fresh air for a bit, and take some time on making movies on other characters, because I heard statement of this is more of a Godzilla universe than an actual cinematic universe, I actually do agree with them, Godzilla has been in three movies which is like 3/4 Of this cinematic universe It’s like Iron Man has 27 sequels to the first movie and all the other characters are only have one movie and they called that a cinematic universe, heck even in the comics there’s no other characters then Godzilla and Kong not A single Rodan comic has been out, so yeah I agree with you in some extent
This. I don't have zero interest in seeing Godzilla again, but I hope they go at least 2 more movies in this "MonsterVerse" before we see him again. Some new blood would be great, and I feel the Hollow Earth is brimming with potential for either fresh newcomers or interesting adventures with the KOTM Titans.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I'd be OK with no new Godzilla movies, period.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Everything you are complaining about & want you can find with Toho's recent works with the character. Legendary Godzilla is great lol. I personally haven't liked a Godzilla from Toho since GMK.

The great thing about Godzilla is his design changes all the time & I'm confident his design will be tweaked if/when we get another Godzilla film from Legendary.
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

I see what you mean even if I don't fully agree. But I'd be willing to see him come back one more time to be killed off by Destoroyah, considering he is still alive & out in the sea by the end of GVK. Why would he not be as active as in Dominion considering the Earth is still full of Titans.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

GigaBowserG wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:31 am
Thatguy4683 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:55 am I’m sort of agree with you even though I do want to see more of Godzilla, let him have some fresh air for a bit, and take some time on making movies on other characters, because I heard statement of this is more of a Godzilla universe than an actual cinematic universe, I actually do agree with them, Godzilla has been in three movies which is like 3/4 Of this cinematic universe It’s like Iron Man has 27 sequels to the first movie and all the other characters are only have one movie and they called that a cinematic universe, heck even in the comics there’s no other characters then Godzilla and Kong not A single Rodan comic has been out, so yeah I agree with you in some extent
This. I don't have zero interest in seeing Godzilla again, but I hope they go at least 2 more movies in this "MonsterVerse" before we see him again. Some new blood would be great, and I feel the Hollow Earth is brimming with potential for either fresh newcomers or interesting adventures with the KOTM Titans.
Exactly, even though there’s no chance of this being a movie I wish they can explore the Hollow Earth with Jet Jaguar as a main protagonist, discover a new Titans species and some Lore
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Moogabunga wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:34 am
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:42 amHis square face, barely visible eyes, the alpha monster role, and how mission oriented he is.

At this point, no. Legendary's Godzilla is simply one of, if not the absolute best incarnation of the character ever in terms of both design and characterization.

But I'll tell you what: If they plan on having Godzilla be treated like absolute trash, like some average run of the mill antagonist for a dumb monkey ever again, I'd change my tune pretty quickly.
Huh? I took it as the Kong civilization was meant to be paralleling the same issues as humanity, and Kong’s arc was moving past the parts of his nature that drove his people and humanity to war with Godzilla.

The Kongs seem obviously the giants of myth here, building on the ideas of lore of a past Kong civilization in Toho's King Kong Escapes that weren't followed up for budget reasons (Kong was stated to have built giant staircases and tunnels on Mondo Island).

I didn't see Godzilla as a dumb antagonist at all, I liked Godzilla having flaws and foilibles once again like in the Showa era.

Still I think it is time for Godzilla. And I think a movie where Mothra isn't being overshadowed by him is due.
Last edited by Dinoskell on Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

It's all right.

Really like the '14 film, didn't care for KOTM, GvK wasn't great but was still a lot of fun.

It's pretty equal to Toho's Heisei and Millenium series to me. The ratio of good to bad to 'okay but fun' is similar in my summation of all three of these series!

I'll see a Godzilla movie no matter what, and when I do I hope I'll like it ('14, Shin) rather than dislike it (KOTM, the anime trilogy). If it's "MonsterVerse" or something else I don't really care. I'm more interested in getting a compelling creative (a director, a writer or something) to do a unique take on the material. Whatever form that takes is anyone's guess.

Dust Errant
Samurai

Post by Dust Errant »

I'd be fine with one more MV Godzilla movie, preferably in the vein of Destroy all Monsters. I really wish WB had been smarter and kept things more in the vein of the 2014 movie, but that ship has unfortunately sailed. As much as I enjoy GKotM, that movie is a mess when it comes to the worldbuilding/storytelling angle. Honestly, I think WB should just go all in on Kong and really world build with him. King Kong will always be America's most well known kaiju, and actually building him up, giving him an actual roster of monsters would be pretty great imo. Building around Kong, and bringing back Godzilla for a finale seems like it would be pretty freaking awesome though imo.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Dinoskell wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:54 pm
Moogabunga wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:34 am

Huh? I took it as the Kong civilization was meant to be paralleling the same issues as humanity, and Kong’s arc was moving past the parts of his nature that drove his people and humanity to war with Godzilla.

The Kongs seem obviously the giants of myth here, building on the ideas of lore of a past Kong civilization in Toho's King Kong Escapes that weren't followed up for budget reasons (Kong was stated to have built giant staircases and tunnels on Mondo Island).

I didn't see Godzilla as a dumb antagonist at all, I liked Godzilla having flaws and foilibles once again like in the Showa era.
To be honest that’s actually some good character trait, because if he was absolutely perfect character without flaws he’ll be a boring character that’s why I liked having him a flawed character, he is willing to keep nature balance but by any means necessary

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I'm exponentially more excited about another Toho film than an MV Godzilla film but I feel that if anything the character wasn't used enough and GvK provided a slighty different side of him that's fresh. MV Godzilla is probably my favorite Godzilla incarnation because he has various aspects of the multiple versions of precious Godzilla from Earth defender to a wrathful force of nature. We can have both

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I’m more tired of Toho’s recent takes, to be honest. They’ve done the same old “immobile, emotionless, all-powerful quirky Godzilla” three times in a row now. At least the Monsterverse version is treated like a character.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Give me all of the MV Godzilla films. He's the definitive era defining Godzilla currently.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:42 am His square face, barely visible eyes, the alpha monster role, and how mission oriented he is.
Those are the reasons I like him, so no, I don't feel the same. I want more MV Goji.

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

Beast Blood wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:18 pm
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:42 am His square face, barely visible eyes, the alpha monster role, and how mission oriented he is.
Those are the reasons I like him, so no, I don't feel the same. I want more MV Goji.
Same. Godzilla is awesome, and Legendary Godzilla are the best G movies there have even been, other than maybe the first one.

Toho movies are mostly garbage, honestly, but fun because of the monsters. The best Toho movie IMO....the actual MOVIE, other than 1954 is the original Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. That actually was pretty decent as a movie, especially for a Godzilla movie, plus it has the ape dudes which piggybacked a bit off Planet of the Apes, which was popular back then.

So of course I want more of the higher-quality American-made Godzilla films. And I'd be perfectly okay with Toho starting some of their own back up as well