I have zero interest in seeing Godzilla in the MV again. Does anyone else feel the same?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Voyager
Keizer

Re: I have zero interest in seeing Godzilla in the MV again. Does anyone else feel the same?

Post by Voyager »

Moogabunga wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:34 amLegendary's Godzilla is simply one of, if not the absolute best incarnation of the character ever in terms of both design and characterization.
Voyager goes on to suffer from a Design Bracket Flashback

Added in 4 minutes 56 seconds:
Pacfanweb wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:57 pmToho movies are mostly garbage, honestly,

This is the most ballsy thing ever said on TK in my lifetime on these forums. I’m surprised you’ve made it this far without someone saying something. Kudos to you for being so brave, though. If I agreed with you, I wouldn’t have the guts to say that sort of stuff here.

Not really an insult, I’m just in shock.
Last edited by Voyager on Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

SoggyNoodles2016

Re: I have zero interest in seeing Godzilla in the MV again. Does anyone else feel the same?

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Spuro wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:12 am I’m more tired of Toho’s recent takes, to be honest. They’ve done the same old “immobile, emotionless, all-powerful quirky Godzilla” three times in a row now. At least the Monsterverse version is treated like a character.
Agree fully, even as someone who likes the Toho takes.

Legendary is not only one of the best characterized Godzilla but one of the best incarnations in general. Hate to lose that, especially because I think a more traditional Godzilla helps counterbalance the wilder stuff.

RIP Evan.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:51 pm
Spuro wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:12 am I’m more tired of Toho’s recent takes, to be honest. They’ve done the same old “immobile, emotionless, all-powerful quirky Godzilla” three times in a row now. At least the Monsterverse version is treated like a character.
Agree fully, even as someone who likes the Toho takes.

Legendary is not only one of the best characterized Godzilla but one of the best incarnations in general. Hate to lose that, especially because I think a more traditional Godzilla helps counterbalance the wilder stuff.
I mean, why can’t Toho just do a traditional Godzilla for once? I’m sure they will, but I hope to god it’s like the good old days of the Tokusatsu era.
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think Toho has just had these types of Godzillas because they don't want to interfere or compete with Legendary. People don't realize that if everything was just like Godzilla vs. Kong we'd get bored of it quickly.
Terasawa wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:56 am I'd be OK with no new Godzilla movies, period.
Not trying to be accusatory, but would you have said the same thing before Shin? I feel satiated and don't "need" more movies, but hey if they come up and happen to be good I'm all for it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I feel the same way about Singluar Point to be honest.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I want more of MV Goji. Easily my favorite incarnation of the G-Man in every way.

Though I do hope that TOHO could make their own more traditional Godzilla after the MonsterVerse.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:28 pm I want more of MV Goji. Easily my favorite incarnation of the G-Man in every way.

Though I do hope that TOHO could make their own more traditional Godzilla after the MonsterVerse.
Easy fix, just bring back Showa continuity or continue Junior’s journey after GvD.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

The tone of G14 with the fights of GvK is what Legendary needs to aim for whether it’s another MV or reboot. I’m down for either honestly.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

Voyager wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:47 pm
Moogabunga wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:34 amLegendary's Godzilla is simply one of, if not the absolute best incarnation of the character ever in terms of both design and characterization.

Added in 4 minutes 56 seconds:
Pacfanweb wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:57 pmToho movies are mostly garbage, honestly,

This is the most ballsy thing ever said on TK in my lifetime on these forums. I’m surprised you’ve made it this far without someone saying something. Kudos to you for being so brave, though. If I agreed with you, I wouldn’t have the guts to say that sort of stuff here.

Not really an insult, I’m just in shock.
Meh, it's the truth. I love all of them, but I'm under no illusion that most of them are remotely "quality movies" in the least.

Nothing wrong with admitting it. Hopefully nobody REALLY thinks that GvHedorah or Godzilla's Revenge or GvMegalon are some sort of cinematic masterpieces. They are vehicles for letting you see Godzilla, and there's nothing wrong with that.

But the Legendary movies are far better as "movies", even though they certainly aren't perfect. They're just better movies overall than any of the Toho films, and of COURSE I want more of them. And I want more Toho films, too. Now the anime movies....I don't care for anime to begin with, but I watched the trilogy and "meh" overall. It had some interesting parts, definitely. Singular Point....watched the first one. Not feeling it.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Pacfanweb wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:16 pm

Nothing wrong with admitting it. Hopefully nobody REALLY thinks that GvHedorah or Godzilla's Revenge or GvMegalon are some sort of cinematic masterpieces. They are vehicles for letting you see Godzilla, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Funny how you pick out three of the worst possible choices to prove that point.

Are you willing to say Mothra vs Godzilla isn’t a good movie?
Last edited by Voyager on Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Monsterverse Godzilla is a very generic version of the character that brings almost nothing new to the table aside from updated FX. A cool Godzilla, just by the virtue of being a hybrid of previous Godzillas, but I don't see anything particularly special about him.

Shin's design and lack of physical expression was really off-putting to me at first (to the point where I didn't even watch the movie until late 2019), but it totally worked for that film. I haven't seen any of the anime stuff yet, but I can see why a lumbering, personality-less Godzilla could get old after a while.

What I want is a truly scary, expressive Godzilla - one that makes you shit your pants everytime he's on-screen.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Regarding more Godzilla movies in general, there's always a chance for another Shin. Something completely unique, with a strong creative voice behind it.
I'll sit thru a 100 GvK quality movies if it means a chance for a Hedorah or Shin.
As far as the Monsterverse goes, same thing. I'd like to give them a little more time on the off chance they happen to put out a really compelling Godzilla movie. It's possible, though not necessarily likely, but I don't hate the Monsterverse, so I'm willing to take the bet and see what they do.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:41 pm Monsterverse Godzilla is a very generic version of the character that brings almost nothing new to the table aside from updated FX. A cool Godzilla, just by the virtue of being a hybrid of previous Godzillas, but I don't see anything particularly special about him.

Shin's design and lack of physical expression was really off-putting to me at first (to the point where I didn't even watch the movie until late 2019), but it totally worked for that film. I haven't seen any of the anime stuff yet, but I can see why a lumbering, personality-less Godzilla could get old after a while.

What I want is a truly scary, expressive Godzilla - one that makes you poop your pants everytime he's on-screen.
I mean yeah, Shin lacks any physical expression, but the problem is Toho is reusing it recently, which is already getting old.

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

Totally agreed. SP made him more agile at least, but it didn't help much.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Lol no. Wtf? Gimme more Goji.

Added in 2 minutes 55 seconds:

Bruh like I enjoy the character and may have spent thousands in collectibles on the design. But yes I too cringed at this sentence. However I can’t find the words to describe exactly why.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:03 pm
Terasawa wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:56 am I'd be OK with no new Godzilla movies, period.
Not trying to be accusatory, but would you have said the same thing before Shin? I feel satiated and don't "need" more movies, but hey if they come up and happen to be good I'm all for it.
I wasn't entirely aware of it at the time, but looking back, I think I was probably satiated even before that. I liked G14 and Shin but I view those as bonuses, especially the former after the direction Legendary has taken since. (And I don't expect the new Toho film or films to be a whole lot like Shin, largely because that film is so clearly Hideaki Anno's, not Toho's.)

Truthfully, I'm a bit curious about the direction Toho will take with its next live action film, but I can safely say I really don't care if we get one or not. I'll continue to check out new Godzilla content, sure, but these movies (Hollywood and Japan) are far removed from what keeps me coming back to The Mysterians, KKvG, Ghidrah, and the other toku movies I love.

In other words, I like what we have and I'll continue to find ways to appreciate that.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

shadowgigan wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:56 pm

Bruh like I enjoy the character and may have spent thousands in collectibles on the design. But yes I too cringed at this sentence. However I can’t find the words to describe exactly why.
What makes it worse is the fact that is near identical to everything he was saying during the G54 v G14 match.

*And the fact he passed off his opinion as 100% fact.
Last edited by Voyager on Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Yep. Same here. Really could care less what Toho is currently doing with Godzilla. SP was a chore to get through.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Have to agree. I prefer when Godzilla is more of a character than an obstacle for the humans, so more MV Goji would be plenty welcome.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm going to go ahead and dispute the assertion that the zero-thought hack job that was GvK is a better movie than anything Toho has put out post-54. I feel like some level of effort and artistry went into better than half the Toho films, which is more than I can say for GvK. Parts of it were pretty to look at, but that was about it.

I will also dispute that Monsterverse Godzilla brings nothing new to the table. I would say the whole Alpha system and his unique history and assorted quirks stand out.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio