Mecha-Kong?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Mecha-Kong?

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

So, we’ve already gotten a Mechagodzilla in the Monsterverse, and with the focus likely going to be shifting to Kong more than Godzilla in the future to come (Toho’s already hardasses with lending Godzilla to other companies, much less when they’re in the midst of doing a whole bunch of their own stuff with him), a Mecha-Kong certainly seems possible.

So, thoughts on it, both as an actual concept and the chances of it happening?

I think it’s highly likely, both in an in and out of universe sense. In-universe, no way Apex was the only ones that want to topple the Titans, and after how Mechagodzilla went and how impressive Kong was, it’d be an obvious choice. Out of universe, well, duh. Giant robot gorilla, that shit’ll print money. And I’d be down for it, Mecha-Kong would be sick as hell to see, especially if it’s as agile or even moreso than the real thing. A mechanized version of the big Monke that isn’t Mechani-Kong’s aluminum ass would be awesome to have.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mecha-Kong?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

All for a Mecha-Kong, a “Mechani-Kong” if you would ;)

Easy to forget, but Mechani-Kong predates MechaGodzilla.
Also, it has the distinction of being a Japanese/American hybrid as it originated in two Japanese/American co-productions.

Additionally, there’s a lot of really easy ways the character could be adapted into the monsterverse. Mechanic-Kong was originally created to develop and harvest Element X, in the artic. Swap out Element X for whatever is in the hollow earth, and you’ve got a really easy plot for Son of Kong. My only issue, is that it would be a bit lame to have another robotic doppelgänger be a major antagonist so soon after MechaGodzilla. Perhaps it could just be a minor antagonist.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Or... what if Mechani-Kong is the Son of Kong? It's built Kiryu-style, using the bones or at least DNA of a dead Kong from Skull Island, intended as an anti-Titan weapon or for whatever other purpose. Of course it goes haywire and the Kong mind asserts itself over the programming, and you're left with this sad young monke in an abomination of a body, alone, confused, probably hunted and feared, and in need of rescue and family.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:15 am Or... what if Mechani-Kong is the Son of Kong? It's built Kiryu-style, using the bones or at least DNA of a dead Kong from Skull Island, intended as an anti-Titan weapon or for whatever other purpose. Of course it goes haywire and the Kong mind asserts itself over the programming, and you're left with this sad young monke in an abomination of a body, alone, confused, probably hunted and feared, and in need of rescue and family.
Oh I like that. It can be the happy ending equivalent to the Kiryu series. The son can live near the entrance to the tunnels so Kong can check on him.

[Reminds me idea of an elderly cyborg Mothra inspired by early debate about whether some forms of life saving surgery spat in the face of God/natural order. I wanted to explore the idea of a Mothra making a decision that her fairies felt uncomfortable with.]

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Mecha-Kong? That is just crazy enough to work! We got Mechagodzilla? Why not Mechakong? I don't think it will happen but I think it would be cool to see anyway.

rob559
GPN Volunteer

Post by rob559 »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:12 pm So, we’ve already gotten a Mechagodzilla in the Monsterverse, and with the focus likely going to be shifting to Kong more than Godzilla in the future to come (Toho’s already hardasses with lending Godzilla to other companies, much less when they’re in the midst of doing a whole bunch of their own stuff with him), a Mecha-Kong certainly seems possible.

I think it’s highly likely, both in an in and out of universe sense. In-universe, no way Apex was the only ones that want to topple the Titans, and after how Mechagodzilla went and how impressive Kong was, it’d be an obvious choice. Out of universe, well, duh. Giant robot gorilla, that poop’ll print money. And I’d be down for it, Mecha-Kong would be sick as hell to see, especially if it’s as agile or even moreso than the real thing. A mechanized version of the big Monke that isn’t Mechani-Kong’s aluminum ass would be awesome to have.
If Toho are already hardasses about Godzilla, MechaKong or Mechani-Kong is "also?" a Toho owned Charactor. Wouldn't they be tough on him as well? Also isn't Bankin/Rass somewhere in there as well? I'm not sure.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

And don't forget Toei; they created Mechani-Kong in the first place in two episodes of the anime TV series The King Kong Show ("MecnaniKong" and "Anchors Away").

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

rob559 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:57 am
GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:12 pm So, we’ve already gotten a Mechagodzilla in the Monsterverse, and with the focus likely going to be shifting to Kong more than Godzilla in the future to come (Toho’s already hardasses with lending Godzilla to other companies, much less when they’re in the midst of doing a whole bunch of their own stuff with him), a Mecha-Kong certainly seems possible.

I think it’s highly likely, both in an in and out of universe sense. In-universe, no way Apex was the only ones that want to topple the Titans, and after how Mechagodzilla went and how impressive Kong was, it’d be an obvious choice. Out of universe, well, duh. Giant robot gorilla, that poop’ll print money. And I’d be down for it, Mecha-Kong would be sick as hell to see, especially if it’s as agile or even moreso than the real thing. A mechanized version of the big Monke that isn’t Mechani-Kong’s aluminum ass would be awesome to have.
If Toho are already hardasses about Godzilla, MechaKong or Mechani-Kong is "also?" a Toho owned Charactor. Wouldn't they be tough on him as well? Also isn't Bankin/Rass somewhere in there as well? I'm not sure.
Mechanikong isn't owned by Toho at all, as it was created for the King Kong cartoon (which KKE is a live action adaptation of). I think the rights to the character are owned by Universal now, as I believe they own the rights to that series. That's part of the reason why the Godzilla vs. Mechanikong movie they developed in the '90s never happened.
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

rob559
GPN Volunteer

Post by rob559 »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:26 am And don't forget Toei; they created Mechani-Kong in the first place in two episodes of the anime TV series The King Kong Show ("MecnaniKong" and "Anchors Away").
Yup, could be a license nightmare, or not?
I would rather Legendary spend the money and re-license Godzilla and a few more Toho kaiju. Biolante, Angilias etc.
And alternate movies with Kong in Hollow earth. Expand stories there: who controls access to Hollow Earth? Monarch? other Countries/Companies that want in etc. new Kaiju/Titans down there eventually leading up to a Destroy all Monsters Monsterverse ending.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

rob559 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:07 am
mikelcho wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:26 am And don't forget Toei; they created Mechani-Kong in the first place in two episodes of the anime TV series The King Kong Show ("MecnaniKong" and "Anchors Away").
Yup, could be a license nightmare, or not?
I would rather Legendary spend the money and re-license Godzilla and a few more Toho kaiju. Biolante, Angilias etc.
And alternate movies with Kong in Hollow earth. Expand stories there: who controls access to Hollow Earth? Monarch? other Countries/Companies that want in etc. new Kaiju/Titans down there eventually leading up to a Destroy all Monsters Monsterverse ending.
Like, I'm sure they can do a version of the "robot Kong" idea as it's generic enough of a concept that they should avoid legal issues. So it's possible, you'd just need a good enough concept and a story that makes sense including it.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Mechani-Kong and Gorosaurus are my ideal villains for the next MV Kong movie, I think Mechani-Kong should at least retain a slightly modernized design of his classic face because that specific face is what I use to identify the character.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Nope. Zero desire to see Mecha Kong. Like at all.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

Eh no. Unless it is a Kong spinoff or something. Then I guess MK can be written in as a villain trying to impersonate Kong that was inspired by Mechagodzilla or something along those lines. Otherwise I think it would just undermine Mechagodzilla and look like a cheap rehash.

Jan EnciZilla
Ronin

Post by Jan EnciZilla »

Adam Wingard said that he enjoys to put Mechani-Kong in MV hehe

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Possibly more for a cartoon , villain of the week style thing featuring Kong. That's the only way I can see this working, as part of a G:TAS style series.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

I'd dig it. It's only fair that if we got Mechagodzilla, we should get MechaniKong. Plus, Mechanikong was the forefather of Mechagodzilla in a way.

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

I would make Mechani-Kong a vehicle that MONARCH uses to explore Hollow Earth after seeing the big monkey friend in action.