Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I hope that son of Kong get scrap for another movie in the Monsterverse, i’m a not big fan of it and it comes off as lazy writing, it’s like kong it’s said to be the last of his species then out of nowhere there’s a baby?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:28 pm I hope that son of Kong get scrap for another movie in the Monsterverse, i’m a not big fan of it and it comes off as lazy writing, it’s like kong it’s said to be the last of his species then out of nowhere there’s a baby?
One could assume Little Kong would of recently became an orphan and the rest of his troop were killed by one of the dangers in the hollow earth.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Kong having a son isn’t “lazy” it makes complete sense from a character arc.

Kong: Skull Island- Young Adult Kong
Godzilla vs Kong- Adult Kong
Untitled Kong movie- Kong’s son

That right there is the perfect modern day King Kong trilogy.
Last edited by gridiron_kaiju on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

And if Kong does happen to eventually die, his "son" will take on his legacy.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I guess that does makes sense, thank you for clearing up for me

Added in 4 minutes 33 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:35 pm And if Kong does happen to eventually die, his "son" will take on his legacy.
That could be cool but how can Kong die? Maybe after destroy all monsters? If it does come

yogi bareass
Samurai

Post by yogi bareass »

Son of Kong is just a title that is being thrown against the wall; I doubt it will stick.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:43 pm I guess that does makes sense, thank you for clearing up for me

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:35 pm And if Kong does happen to eventually die, his "son" will take on his legacy.
That could be cool but how can Kong die? Maybe after destroy all monsters? If it does come
Alternatively, you introduce Baby Godzilla too, have Godzilla die in DAM, and end it with Kong taking Baby Godzilla with him back to the Hollow Earth. 8-)

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Pkmatrix wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:47 pm
Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:43 pm I guess that does makes sense, thank you for clearing up for me

Alternatively, you introduce Baby Godzilla too, have Godzilla die in DAM, and end it with Kong taking Baby Godzilla with him back to the Hollow Earth. 8-)
I’m not a big fan of that maybe I’m prefer that Mothra takes cares of kong son

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

I’m in the camp that believes, 1) ‘Son of Kong’ is ultimately more idea/concept than title; 2) Godzilla doesn’t necessarily need a ‘Godzilla Jr’ dynamic in his story arc, yet; 3) the same kind ‘discussions’ with Wingard to helm another MonsterVerse installment (however tentative they may be) are taking place with others — regarding other storylines/characters; 4) ‘Son of Kong’ could well end up being the ‘MonsterVerse BC’ chapter that among other things chronicles the Kong lineage/legacy.
Last edited by obZen on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Or or or, hear me out.

DAM happens, Godzilla and Kong both sacrifice themselves to destroy the threat, and their respective kids get raised by Mothra as if they were her own, thus restarting the whole "Order of Balance" that their fathers once embraced. Maybe have her slowly hover above them as they walk/fly off into the sunset.

Nice little sweet bow to wrap up the universe.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

luuuulz

Added in 1 minute 49 seconds:
The image of Master Splinter walking with the baby ninja turtles springs to mind.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

>Adam to work on more monsteverse movies

Awesome!

>son of kong

Oh....
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:01 pm >Adam to work on more monsteverse movies

Awesome!

>son of kong

Oh....
LOL My reaction in a nutshell.

ElijahSky
Monarch Researcher

Post by ElijahSky »

Kong is a logical choice for the next MonsterVerse film and Wingard is the logical choice for director, though I'd also have been just as happy if it had been Jordan Vogt-Roberts back. Not at all a fan of the 'Son of Kong' idea though. Personally, I don't want any baby Godzillas or Kongs in the MV.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

It's the next logical step for the character. He was encountered in his home in KSI, went on his grandiose adventure in GvK, challenged the crown and lost, now it's time for him to settle down with his kid and die tragically while Jia builds a bond with the baby.

Unless they want DAM to end it.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

Today I had seen a short video about ‘One MonsterVerse’ featuring and narrated by the four directors and at one point one of them said it verbatim, “...destroy all monsters...” — that was no accident.

They absolutely intend to run this up to DAM.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

There's more than one MV movie in planning stages. Son Of Kong is not an official concept yet.

For any cinematic universe to continue with health and vigour, it needs to have successive movies coming out in regular intervals. I wouldn't be surprised if the next two are released 12 to 18 months apart (with yet another announced between the two if the first is successful in order to keep fans looking forward to something).

Added in 1 minute 20 seconds:
There's no need to kill off either Godzilla or Kong ever. They should live on in perpetuity (especially Godzilla).

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

More MV and the final installment being a DAM is all but confirmed now

I’m, like, 82% sure either Goji or Kong will die in DAM in a heroic sacrifice, leaving a way for the other to make the final blow. Leaning towards Kong since, well, his stories all end in tragedy :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I don't really know why so many people seem to be against the idea of MV Godzilla dying tbh. I mean yeah, it would hurt seeing this take on the character die, but that's kinda what heroic sacrifices are about isn't it?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I'd rather have Minilla return, it can be done. Jia already fits the bill of a child Kong has to protect, and I wanna see Kong have more of his own adventures in his prime. For Godzilla, finding Minilla could be a fun change of pace, and bring Godzilla down to the audience more than just having him to go to A and then B to kill some "Titan". Or have it be about Minilla trying to get to Godzilla with the human cast, with Godzilla having a change of heart or something.

When it comes to Godzilla and Kong, I doubt they'd kill the only two guys that can headline films for the MV so far.

Aaaaand please, better human characters. That's a priority, and the way they've handled characters besides KSI is the reason I have a hard time getting invested in the MV.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos