Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Re: Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I'm mainly thrilled that Legendary wants Adam Wingard to return and that he and Legendary have discussed vsrious ideas together it's no secret that I don't want Mike Dougherty or at least be in charge of the overall planning so this is great news. Not sure how I feel about a Son of Kong idea I thought it would be better served for Godzilla to make him a little more relatable but any new Kong films will make me happy because Kong needs more stories besides remakes and subpar sequels.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

What if the son is a clone?

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I rather it just be a orphan found by Kong in the Hollow Earth

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Glad this is all but confirming that we'll be seeing more Monsterverse movies. :D Really excited to see what they come up with. Also it makes sense to have the next MV movie post GvK be a Kong sequel since Godzilla already has a second movie under his tail so far and it'd also make sense to further explore the Hollow Earth.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Son of Kong slows down the Monsterverse ... in a good way. It lets the verse breathe and expand the story a bit more. As long as we’re getting a complete phase 2(at least 4 films) I’m alright with the pace slowing down.

We’d all mostly want another Godzilla film first... but this is the reality of making a franchise. A Thor movie won’t necessarily have Iron Man in it and vice versa.
Last edited by Cookson on Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

imposterzilla wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:21 am What if the son is a clone?
I actually had something of the same idea. A well intentioned group got a sample of Kong DNA after the Hong Kong battle, but a mix of damage and Godzilla's radiation messed with it somewhat. The aim was to clone another Kong so, should the current Kong die for whatever reason, another high grade Titan who's potentially very friendly to humanity would be around to help. The first attempt used more badly damaged DNA that required some more reconstruction work, but the end result was mentally unstable and more monstrous. The second attempt, Kiko, resulted in something far closer to Kong, just albino. The first prototype however, sensing his 'brothers' in a Vs. Biollante like way, seeks the other two out after breaking free. And if we want to use another Toho monster or a tribute to it, this prototype has some slightly reptilian features and is adapted to the ocean as either a new version of Gaira or a tribute to it.

The Prototype/Gaira isn't totally evil, just insane and homidically protective of Kiko and seeing everything else, especially Kong, as a threat. And in a nod to how real-life great apes are often chill around humanity but share our ability to become psychopathic if pushed in the wrong ways, blame for how Gaira is can be put at the people who created him rather than entirely Gaira himself. But, he's still a berserk killer and has to be dealt with, as the creators just unleashed an out of control apex predator on the Hollow Earth.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

This scenario, should it come to pass, is a mixed bag, for me. I'm happy to see another Monsterverse film, even if I am and have been ready for Toho to make more kaiju films of their own; maybe both will happen, who knows. I'm perfectly on board for a Son of Kong story, and it could make for a very enjoyable change of pace. ....I'm not sure about Adam Wingard. On the one hand, he clearly is willing and able to make Kong(s) a full-on character, and should be capable of handling this type of story. On the other hand, his editing GvK down to bare bones was a terrible mistake, and he clearly has no interest in following up on the world of Titans established in KOTM. Maybe he can redeem himself in a new movie, but I'm going to keep my expectations low.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:45 pm I just hope they have a lot of monster action even if there’s a kid involved.
Son of Godzilla, Godzilla's Revenge, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla '93, Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla, and Godzilla vs. Destoroyah are laughing at the idea that a monster kid means a lack of monster action.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:41 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:45 pm I just hope they have a lot of monster action even if there’s a kid involved.
Son of Godzilla, Godzilla's Revenge, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla '93, Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla, and Godzilla vs. Destoroyah are laughing at the idea that a monster kid means a lack of monster action.
Oh 100%, and you're right. I just hope it focuses on both monsters, and not just the actual Son of Kong. The original Son of Kong film had a lamer smaller kong, with the father being dead. I think I got PTSD with that. And also, I'll be honest, my gut feeling is that a bay Godzilla is 100x more interesting than a baby Kong, because Godzilla junior always juxtaposed Godzilla Sr's evil/meanness. Kong has always been sweet...

Honestly, I could see it being done well, with Kong humanized more and having some fun with Baby Kong. I just hope there's a lot of monster action!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

yogi bareass
Samurai

Post by yogi bareass »

Let's just leave monster children out of the MV please.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:41 am This scenario, should it come to pass, is a mixed bag, for me. I'm happy to see another Monsterverse film, even if I am and have been ready for Toho to make more kaiju films of their own; maybe both will happen, who knows. I'm perfectly on board for a Son of Kong story, and it could make for a very enjoyable change of pace. ....I'm not sure about Adam Wingard. On the one hand, he clearly is willing and able to make Kong(s) a full-on character, and should be capable of handling this type of story. On the other hand, his editing GvK down to bare bones was a terrible mistake, and he clearly has no interest in following up on the world of Titans established in KOTM. Maybe he can redeem himself in a new movie, but I'm going to keep my expectations low.
There are deleted scenes from Godzilla vs. Kong? I hope they put them on a special feature of the upcoming DVD/Blu-ray combo release that can't come soon enough to suit me (hint, hint, nudge, nudge)!
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

KaijuCrazy02
Ronin

Post by KaijuCrazy02 »

I'm fine with Kong having a son, I'm also fine with Godzilla having a son honestly. I'm just hoping they don't make it a bunch of Kiddie stuff like Son of Godzilla was or Son of Kong, or give them a big eyed cute appearance. I would rather have them take it seriously and not have it be a bunch of goofy child antics throughout, these days, you can't hop from a violent movie where monsters get their heads removed, and then have child friendly stuff in the next one. You could have gotten away with it in the Showa Era, but not these days. I just don't see it being a smart move.

I wouldn't mind a son of Kong style movie where it takes itself seriously, but I would honestly prefer a whole family of Kong's that eventually leads up to a little Kong. I think they should have a movie where Kong travels through the Hollow Earth to meet his family, and some type of scene could have a little Kong being born, preferably in an after-credit scene.

I also saw an Omni Viewer video that said Son of Kong is probably just an idea that is being thrown around, they chose Son of Kong because they knew it would draw some attention, and by goodness it did, but hey, I'm just happy that the Monsterverse is continuing with the film aspect of it and not just the comics or tv series! :)

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:41 am I'm not sure about Adam Wingard. On the one hand, he clearly is willing and able to make Kong(s) a full-on character, and should be capable of handling this type of story. On the other hand, his editing GvK down to bare bones was a terrible mistake, and he clearly has no interest in following up on the world of Titans established in KOTM. Maybe he can redeem himself in a new movie, but I'm going to keep my expectations low.
I may be in the minority here, but I would want someone else in the director seat - not Adam Wingard - for the next film. GvK is my LEAST favorite entry in the Monsterverse, primarily because of the changes made to (and lack of focus on) Godzilla himself. It wasn't a bad film, but GvK just didn't feel like a Godzilla film to me, and Godzilla didn't behave like the Godzilla we got in G14 and GKOTM. If the next film is to have Godzilla in it, I'd prefer someone other than Wingard be trusted with the Big G.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

There's also a rumor about Mothra's return and a film with more focus on Doug.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

There’s a story making the rounds that Godzilla won’t even be in the next installment, as if it’s detrimental to the larger story arc and the MonsterVerse as a whole — of course.
:roll:

Excelsior
GPN Volunteer

Post by Excelsior »

G1985 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:49 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:41 am I'm not sure about Adam Wingard. On the one hand, he clearly is willing and able to make Kong(s) a full-on character, and should be capable of handling this type of story. On the other hand, his editing GvK down to bare bones was a terrible mistake, and he clearly has no interest in following up on the world of Titans established in KOTM. Maybe he can redeem himself in a new movie, but I'm going to keep my expectations low.
I may be in the minority here, but I would want someone else in the director seat - not Adam Wingard - for the next film. GvK is my LEAST favorite entry in the Monsterverse, primarily because of the changes made to (and lack of focus on) Godzilla himself. It wasn't a bad film, but GvK just didn't feel like a Godzilla film to me, and Godzilla didn't behave like the Godzilla we got in G14 and GKOTM. If the next film is to have Godzilla in it, I'd prefer someone other than Wingard be trusted with the Big G.
I'm with you. GvK is not only my least favorite Monsterverse film, it's my least favorite Godzilla film overall. He butchered Godzilla's character, abandoned the excellent world built in KotM, and crafted a movie with nothing but contempt for the movie goers. If he never touches a monster movie again I'll be happy.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

You never know. We didn’t see their full bodies in the scene, but maybe the shot where Godzilla is crushing Kong into submission also has him impregnating Kong, too. They did both scream.

Added in 38 seconds:
(Sorry, terrible joke).

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Overall really happy that Legendary and Wingard already discussed some plannings forward, somewhat reassuring and makes me hopeful it will continue beyond that too. Figured the next installment would likely be a Kong film- I don't have a problem with that honestly, he frankly dreserves another solo film besides KSI and of course it would give time for us to hear an official announcement regarding the status of Godzilla's rights. "Son of Kong" as a concept could be pretty endearing with the whole family aspect that was built up around Kong- imo it would be a statisfying turn to his character after all of the sh*t he went through.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

1. Glad to hear that more MV films are all but officially confirmed now.
2. Having a Kong film next makes the most sense.
3. Please please please don't give us Son of Kong, nor Son of Godzilla. Keep the kaiju kids out of this, please!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Excelsior wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:41 pm and crafted a movie with nothing but contempt for the movie goers.
What the F does this even mean?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Godzilla 2014: Senses threat, goes out of his way to eliminate it, goes back to his business when it is done.

KOTM: Senses threat, goes out of his way to eliminate it, goes back to his business when it is done.

GvK: Senses threat, goes out of his way to eliminate it, goes back to his business when it is done.

Either I am missing something or stuff got lost in translation, but aside from Kong being a literal obstacle to Godzilla's main goal that was not supposed to be out of SI I fail to see this supposed "bastardization" of his character.