Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla's differences in fighting could also be due to him wanting Kong to submit where as the Mutos snd Ghidorah he was trying to take out from the start.

Godzilla tries to kill Kong in round 1 but Kong ends up beaten into submission. Round 2 could be Godzilla wanting a submission instead of death the same way he got more satisfaction from Barb submitting than the other Titans.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri May 21, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:00 am
Vakanai wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:01 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:07 pm I am positive that the fights of the MV are gonna be in the same fast, fun, colorful, visible style of GvK from here on out due to all the overwhelming positive reception to the fights and i couldn’t be any happier

Seriously, whoever choreographed the fights for GvK needs to stay on board from now on and forever
I'm fine with the fights being done in this style, especially Godzilla acting like a fighting gator, provided the writing is exactly like GvK going forward!
Broke this and mess it up terribly for you :D
FTFY.

Added in 15 minutes 55 seconds:
On a more serious note though - please, let's not joke here. I get the need for levity. But...it's just too soon, the pain too raw, and GvK too shitty of a movie to joke around right now.

Dear Jesus but it's such a shitty film...
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:07 pm
DynomikeGojira wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:03 pm I'd like to keep in mind that GvK is the only film in the MV where besides K:SI that a majority of the fight is seen and is mostly shot from the monsters perspective. So I think alot y'all are really just overblowing a simple choice to give a more dynamic fight that I'll say again was actually front and center this time unlike any other film beside K:SI and call in inconsistent which I honestly I think is a terrible excuse because maybe Legendary made Godzilla more bestial because several people asked for it like myself and I think it's kind of belittling.
How is it belittling? I'm failing to see how other's criticisms and opinions regarding a movie, in a series they're also fans of mind you, are belittling. It's nothing personal.

K:SI had more perspective shots to make the monsters seem larger. The movement was more rigid, and the battles were, surprisingly, more dynamic as a whole. Plenty of moving parts throughout that fight between Kong and the Skull Crawler. Overall, the animation was less cartoony as well. The only thing they have in common is speed. There were cutaways in the fight in K:SI, but they were done rather well, almost seamlessly (other than the Skull Crawler turning its attention to the human characters and taking forever to walk up to them).
Jermobooka wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:07 pm I am positive that the fights of the MV are gonna be in the same fast, fun, colorful, visible style of GvK from here on out due to all the overwhelming positive reception to the fights and i couldn’t be any happier

Seriously, whoever choreographed the fights for GvK needs to stay on board from now on and forever
I really like how fun the action is too, but I would like it to be slower, and to have a better sense of scale. After watching it the first time, and watching the previous movies ahead of time, I didn't like how Godzilla was portrayed. It doesn't fit with G2014 or GKOTM to me. Godzilla feels "dumber," if that makes sense. I hate to say it. Why would he snap his jaws aimlessly at Kong underwater? Why would he attempt to charge and use his atomic breath at close range, leaving himself open for a counterattack, instead of continuing to control the fight and push Kong around like he did to the female MUTO and Ghidorah? Why would he turn to roar at the crane Kong threw instead of looking for where it came from? This is all thanks to how the fights were done. Not to mention the flying camera. Pacific Rim: Uprising had the same issue.

And besides that, I think the best sort of action these movies could get would be a blend of G2014 and K:SI. Something like G2014's scale (although preferably slightly faster) and K:SI's ferocity. Better yet, get some action like Pacific Rim's Hong Kong fight in there as well.
Belitting is too harsh around here at least but it applies more to the trolls I've dealt with on Youtube and Reddit now they were belittling.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

Vakanai wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:00 pm
Vakanai wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:01 pm

I'm fine with the fights being done in this style, especially Godzilla acting like a fighting gator, provided the writing is exactly like GvK going forward!
FTFY.

On a more serious note though - please, let's not joke here. I get the need for levity. But...it's just too soon, the pain too raw, and GvK too shitty of a movie to joke around right now.

it a good movie, and if it upset you so much then stop obsessing over it

Added in 52 seconds:
also suprised no one is taliing about the final page in the art book talking about potential monsterveres projects

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:08 pm

FTFY.

Added in 52 seconds:
also suprised no one is taliing about the final page in the art book talking about potential monsterveres projects
It's a bad movie, and spending a scant 10-15 minutes a day replying to posts about it to say so is far from obsessing over it. Are people who sing its "praises" whenever they can obsessing over it? No? Only negative opinions are obsessive?
I don't buy into that.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

Vakanai wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:15 pm

FTFY.

Added in 52 seconds:
It's a bad movie, and spending a scant 10-15 minutes a day replying to posts about it to say so is far from obsessing over it. Are people who sing its "praises" whenever they can obsessing over it? No? Only negative opinions are obsessive?
I don't buy into that.
Spending 10-15 minutes a day complaining about a movie is obsessive

Added in 1 hour 30 minutes 42 seconds:
from the GvK artbook

the final page is called "a world of monsters and mostly talks about "where could the monsterverse go next"

Wingard Talks About how humans are able to create "titan-level" machines"

says this the monster are no longer a mystery and that the audience is ready for the Monsters to be "front and center" for most of the movies, and wants more monsters moments that are emotional and less spectacle.

jay Ashenfelter (producer on KOTM and GvK) also mentions there are talks about "going bigger" but also suggesting the opposite end with "less world-traversing and more intimate).

says there has been conversations of how ghidorah in KOTM is an alien and how "it's a ticking time bomb sitting in the franchise that's begging to be explored)

"Godzilla and kong arent going anywhere and the hollow earth is now open for business. A whole continent with hundreds of monsters is waiting to be discovered and not every story need to be a feature film"

talks about more movie,comics and tv shows.

"humans will always try to be in control" but "the titans will last forever

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:34 pm Godzilla's differences in fighting could also be due to him wanting Kong to submit where as the Mutos snd Ghidorah he was trying to take out from the start.

Godzilla tries to kill Kong in round 1 but Kong ends up beaten into submission. Round 2 could be Godzilla wanting a submission instead of death the same way he got more satisfaction from Barb submitting than the other Titans.
It's just not put together the best. Rather than thinking about what it could be, look at what it is. Godzilla simply doesn't fight like he used to, mainly for drawing out the fight. There's a hint of them dumbing Godzilla down so Kong can get some hits in, instead of making Kong more clever to adapt to an opponent more powerful and cunning than the Skull Crawler ever was.

I've seen users here try to defend this with "but he could have wanted to stop Kong right away" or "Godzilla wasn't taking the fight seriously," and now it's "Godzilla just wanted Kong to submit." All of that speculation is fine, but the atomic breath would have killed or seriously injured Kong. It wasn't about making him submit there. The fight isn't executed well in that regard, and there's very little reason within the movie for Godzilla trying to kill Kong in the first place. Novels and comic books just don't cut it when the main feature is supposed to be the movie. These movies should make sense on its own without needing supplemental material that only fans will read.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:23 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:34 pm Godzilla's differences in fighting could also be due to him wanting Kong to submit where as the Mutos snd Ghidorah he was trying to take out from the start.

It's just not put together the best. Rather than thinking about what it could be, look at what it is. Godzilla simply doesn't fight like he used to, mainly for drawing out the fight. There's a hint of them dumbing Godzilla down so Kong can get some hits in, instead of making Kong more clever to adapt to an opponent more powerful and cunning than the Skull Crawler ever was.

I've seen users here try to defend this with "but he could have wanted to stop Kong right away" or "Godzilla wasn't taking the fight seriously," and now it's "Godzilla just wanted Kong to submit." All of that speculation is fine, but the atomic breath would have killed or seriously injured Kong. It wasn't about making him submit there. The fight isn't executed well in that regard, and there's very little reason within the movie for Godzilla trying to kill Kong in the first place. Novels and comic books just don't cut it when the main feature is supposed to be the movie. These movies should make sense on its own without needing supplemental material that only fans will read.
That's intreasting because hardcore fans that would read the supplemental media are the majority of who I see have problems with the film that said supplemental material would help.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:54 pm

Added in 52 seconds:
I don't buy into that.
Disagree - this is a small fraction of my time spent on just one website I check daily, on the topic of one movie that is like a month old, which I watched less than a month ago (maybe 20-ish days?). And the bulk of that 15 minutes is just how long it takes me to make 2 or 3 posts (so I type slow). In comparison I must be downright neurotically deranged and addicted for spending an hour every day to watch the news.

Now, if this were a year from now and there were no decrease in this activity? You might have a point. But right now? I feel like you're judging me just because I choose to spend about an equal time complaining about it as some spend praising it. And that's just not fair. We shouldn't judge time spent complaining as inherently wrong over spending it saying nice things about whatever. The everything should be positive mindset is just not how most humans operate.

Never mind the fact that I'd have spent even less time talking about it today if you hadn't responded to me to voice your opinion that it's a good movie (it's not).

Added in 3 minutes 9 seconds:

This is a smart and logical argument.
Smart and logic doesn't work here at TK.

Added in 3 minutes 34 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:00 pm

That's intreasting because hardcore fans that would read the supplemental media are the majority of who I see have problems with the film that said supplemental material would help.
Read: Hardcore fans are the majority who would even talk about this film.

Most of the people who post not having problems with this film are hardcore fans too! The non-hardcore fans aren't the ones typing their opinions on forgettable summer blockbusters.
Last edited by Vakanai on Fri May 21, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:09 pm

I don't buy into that.
Disagree - this is a small fraction of my time spent on just one website I check daily, on the topic of one movie that is like a month old, which I watched less than a month ago (maybe 20-ish days?). And the bulk of that 15 minutes is just how long it takes me to make 2 or 3 posts (so I type slow). In comparison I must be downright neurotically deranged and addicted for spending an hour every day to watch the news.

Now, if this were a year from now and there were no decrease in this activity? You might have a point. But right now? I feel like you're judging me just because I choose to spend about an equal time complaining about it as some spend praising it. And that's just not fair. We shouldn't judge time spent complaining as inherently wrong over spending it saying nice things about whatever. The everything should be positive mindset is just not how most humans operate.

Never mind the fact that I'd have spent even less time talking about it today if you hadn't responded to me to voice your opinion that it's a good movie (it's not).

Most of the people who post not having problems with this film are hardcore fans too! The non-hardcore fans aren't the ones typing their opinions on forgettable summer blockbusters.
My family are not hardcore fans, people on Twitter in non Godzilla groups are not hardcore and people that my cousin's that mention the film are not hardcore.

My pool is no where near the entire GA but I'm using a larger field than just online.

Saying Godzilla's reasons for going after Kong is weak or saying he didn't act like he did in G14 or kotm is not something the GA picked up on in this film.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:18 pm My family are not hardcore fans, people on Twitter in non Godzilla groups are not hardcore and people that my cousin's that mention the film are not hardcore.

My pool is no where near the entire GA but I'm using a larger field than just online.

Saying Godzilla's reasons for going after Kong is weak or saying he didn't act like he did in G14 or kotm is not something the GA picked up on in this film.
Well, anecdotes are not very strong. I can just as easily say that my mother and sister watched the movie and have similar thoughts on it; they felt that Godzilla acted differently, and they thought that things happened merely to make the fights happen. My sister isn't a hardcore fan. My mother isn't as hardcore of a fan as I am. It's very close to what other users on here have said, like JAGzilla and Vakanai. Now, what I've said is just as valid as what you've said. There's plenty of people who share the same opinions I've expressed.

I don't think the GA cares either way, for better or worse. It's just a big dumb monster movie to most people, and the lack of explanation for much of anything within the movie is part of the reason why it's known as such.

And the point wasn't about how many people talked about it or not. It's about whether the portrayal is consistent with the previous movies, and if it was given any solid justification in the movie itself. Eventually, you may just have to admit that no, it isn't consistent, and no, it isn't explained within the movie. I'd just like to see these movies be a bit more than silly, sort of related popcorn movies going forward.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The only thing different about Godzilla is he went after a Hero as opposed to a villian. Kong was innocent and the Mutos and Ghidorah were not.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Since people are going on about it - I didn't mind a more aggressive/destructive Godzilla, I see it as Godzilla becoming full of himself after becoming 'king.' He made a mistake and the experience dealing with Kong and getting his ass kicked by Mecha-G was as a humbling experience/put him in his place. So maybe he'll mellow out a bit in his next appearance (whatever that may be - imagine if they introduced a Baby G?).

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:18 pm
Vakanai wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:09 pm

My family are not hardcore fans, people on Twitter in non Godzilla groups are not hardcore and people that my cousin's that mention the film are not hardcore.

Well of course - there was literally nothing for them to pick up. I think a lot of the general audience doesn't think much of kaiju films to begin with, so don't care if Godzilla had a reason to fight Kong or not - the plot didn't matter. And after a year of no big CGI action movie, they were even less likely to care about the plot to begin with. All it had to do was deliver on the action. And dear sweet Jesus did it do just that! I think this film probably did better thanks to covid than had the pandemic not happened and it dropped a year ago.

Point is, did any of them have anything at all to say about the film that wasn't a fight scene?

Sometimes bad movies are just a hit for certain reasons. Doesn't make them good though.

Added in 3 minutes 19 seconds:
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:59 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:18 pm My family are not hardcore fans, people on Twitter in non Godzilla groups are not hardcore and people that my cousin's that mention the film are not hardcore.

Well, anecdotes are not very strong. I can just as easily say that my mother and sister watched the movie and have similar thoughts on it; they felt that Godzilla acted differently, and they thought that things happened merely to make the fights happen. My sister isn't a hardcore fan. My mother isn't as hardcore of a fan as I am. It's very close to what other users on here have said, like JAGzilla and Vakanai. Now, what I've said is just as valid as what you've said. There's plenty of people who share the same opinions I've expressed.

I don't think the GA cares either way, for better or worse. It's just a big dumb monster movie to most people, and the lack of explanation for much of anything within the movie is part of the reason why it's known as such.

And the point wasn't about how many people talked about it or not. It's about whether the portrayal is consistent with the previous movies, and if it was given any solid justification in the movie itself. Eventually, you may just have to admit that no, it isn't consistent, and no, it isn't explained within the movie. I'd just like to see these movies be a bit more than silly, sort of related popcorn movies going forward.
Exactly this 100%. Audiences didn't care that the characterization between movies were inconsistent or that the writing was bad. Many people go into giant monster movies expecting them to be dumb bad films with great monster fights. And sadly, GvK proved them right on all counts, and in spades!

Added in 3 minutes 27 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:16 am The only thing different about Godzilla is he went after a Hero as opposed to a villian. Kong was innocent and the Mutos and Ghidorah were not.
Nope. It's not just that Kong was a hero, it was also that Godzilla went in with no reason explained why to go after film beyond "because I'm a mean alpha who must kill and subjugate other monster" AND fought much more viciously and savagely like a damned snapping turte.

If you can't accept that's inconsistent from previous films, fine. But don't dismiss us for seeing that.

Added in 3 minutes 29 seconds:
tbeasley wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:07 pm Since people are going on about it - I didn't mind a more aggressive/destructive Godzilla, I see it as Godzilla becoming full of himself after becoming 'king.' He made a mistake and the experience dealing with Kong and getting his ass kicked by Mecha-G was as a humbling experience/put him in his place. So maybe he'll mellow out a bit in his next appearance (whatever that may be - imagine if they introduced a Baby G?).
He didn't seem humbled. I think the movie wanted you to think that Godzilla begrudgingly came to respect Kong and chose not to go after him again once Kong dropped the axe in a show of utter defeat and submission - but it played out more like the murder lizard just decided that after the day he had it wasn't worth killing the pathetic ape he wanted to murderize all film long just for the sadistic thrill of killing something.

Your mileage may vary, but that was my takeaway of how things ended.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

At this point I think everyone has brought up valid opinions on either side of the debate but it's clear that we all have differing opinions on everything besides the fact that the MV are not consistent which is one of it's main problems besides undeveloped human characters which in my opinion really went downhill in KOTM and the more I reflect on it the more I think the G14 and K:SI are legitimately good smart films that established some interesting and credible ideas that got dumbed down because of people wanting to see monster fights. Personally I do believe GvK was a step in the right towards going back to what Gareth started in that Godzilla shouldn't be portrayed has an outright hero which Toho themselves wanted and the storyline for Team Kong is better than anything in KOTM despite still lacking good perfomances besides Jia. As far as the future of the MonsterVerse is concerned they need fo have the energy of the GvK fights and the storytelling beats of G14 for tone and K:SI character development and KOTM monster characterization and personally get rid of Mike Dougherty and Zach Shields because they lacked in everything besides getting the monsters personalities right.