Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

Post by Vakanai »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:01 pm
Vakanai wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:14 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:39 pm

You don't have to read my argument and you don't have to like Godzilla vs Kong, that is your choice as a fan of the series and this series has several entries with different plots for that reason. All I'm going to say is if someone is taking time to have a discussion and isn't attacking you, saying your not going to read is an interesting thing to say and I bid you adieu.
I didn't mean anything rude by it, and perhaps I had let my tiredness of the debate color my tone too much. Frankly, I didn't read what you wrote because I don't trust myself not to respond. I've learned that if I'm tired of a debate and don't want to engage in it anymore - I'll still debate and engage in it if I read the arguments! The human urge to get the last word in is impossible for my to resist. So when I just want to stop the debate from dragging on when I want out, I stop reading. It's the only way for me to let it go. However, I'm usually more polite in my word choice explaining it, and here I let my tiredness blunt it, and for that, sorry.

Usually instead of saying "I'm not going to read this" I say the nicer "agree to disagree." For me, it means the same thing, but I admit the latter seems nicer than the former.

Added in 2 minutes 17 seconds:
DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:40 pm

Godzilla and Kong are better off as allies which indeed happened Godzilla may have started it but Kong was certainly ready to fight hence Godzilla reasons for targeting this is Godzilla vs Kong after all so yeah simple.
Agree to disagree. I mean, we agree it's simple, difference is I think it's simple because the writer/director didn't care to take the prior films into account at all or bother with established characterization. And...there's no argument that'll convince me otherwise, sorry.

(I'd also argue that they're in no way allies at the end of the film - Godzilla maybe possibly respects in a very minuscule amount that Kong has the right to live, and Kong is just too damned tired to fight and realizes he's Godzilla's b i t c h and will die if they fight again, but probably still hates the damn lizard that wanted to kill him for no good reason he could see - he only killed Mechagodzilla because the human girl asked him to. That doesn't make the two allies)
Yeah we're gonna have to agree to disagree I can clearly see that you view very strongly about the MV quality of films has downgraded since G14 and K:SI I'm in complete agreement with that so I can understand why you're not a fan of this film, I had a different experience with which rejuvenated my interest in the MV after my massive disappointment with KOTM. I personally believe that Godzilla and Kong were consistent with their previous portrayal and frankly I've been wanting a more antagonistic Godzilla since G14 and I thought they did a great job to make it believable but again just my opinion. As far as them being allies or not I believe they are at least uneasy allies Godzilla didn't attack Kong after Kong defeated MechaG and Kong eventually deemed that Godzilla was not longer a threat hence dropping the axe and Godzilla left, they're not friends but they're not enemies anymore either.
Yep, agree to disagree. I get that you wanted a more antagonistic Godzilla all along, so maybe finally getting that helps you overlook the flaws, but I really don't think it was consistent with his previous portrayal at all. It just seemed to come out of left field. I think those who were clamoring for Godzilla to be an antagonist from the beginning had a better time with this movie, so it didn't bother them. While I'm fine with Godzilla being the bad guy in films, it just didn't make sense here, and that's going to be a sticking point for me as a fan of the earlier MV.
And I disagree with them being uneasy allies even. Kong has zero reason to trust or want to help Godzilla - he'd have to have zero interest in self preservation to want to go near him, and would probably be glad to dance on Godzilla's grave after this film. Yes, he destroyed MechaG, but it wasn't to help or save Godzilla. He should have taken a pot shot and swung that axe into Godzilla's skull while the big G was still down in the moments after MechaG's destruction. Not being enemies doesn't make them allies. Godzilla is either now indifferent or still a bit of an antagonist to Kong and wouldn't come to him for help, and Kong shouldn't want to ever come near or see Godzilla ever again. There's no reason for them to ever team up as allies unless forced into a situation where it's team up or die.

Added in 46 seconds:
Godzilla21 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:47 pm Hi all. Haven't been here for a while but can someone update on what's happening with the MV? I'd prefer not to wade through pages and pages. Its continuing with a Kong-centric movie?
Seems likely.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I just had an idea

What if the “Son Of Kong”...isn’t even a member of the Titanus Kong species, but a recently hatched Titanus Gojira that imprints on Kong? A movie about Kong teaching, raising, and protecting Minilla opens up a lot of doors and possibilities
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:43 pm I just had an idea

What if the “Son Of Kong”...isn’t even a member of the Titanus Kong species, but a recently hatched Titanus Gojira that imprints on Kong? A movie about Kong teaching, raising, and protecting Minilla opens up a lot of doors and possibilities
What the hell are you wasting time telling us for? Get this to Legendary!
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

No. For the love of whatever god or higher power might exist out there, no.

Added in 1 minute 17 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:12 pm

Maybe he should wait for the high to wear off before he drives in a vehicle?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Vakanai wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:39 pm

:lol:

But really, I think it's an idea with some potential. It's too late now to explore the war between Godzilla and Kong's species, but if they want to do it anyway, here's a vehicle for it. More importantly, it's a reason for Godzilla and Kong to continue interacting in the future, now that 'team up to stop the bigger threat' has been done.

Anyway, it would be worth it just to piss off overly-serious Godzilla stans. Kong and Minya together? I can hear the whining already!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legendary is not going to buy the rights to Minya and then not let Godzilla raise him when Minilla was such an important part of Godzilla history.

Plus why would Godzilla ense a baby and not come for him?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:22 pm

But really, I think it's an idea with some potential. It's too late now to explore the war between Godzilla and Kong's species, but if they want to do it anyway, here's a vehicle for it. More importantly, it's a reason for Godzilla and Kong to continue interacting in the future, now that 'team up to stop the bigger threat' has been done.

Anyway, it would be worth it just to piss off overly-serious Godzilla stans. Kong and Minya together? I can hear the whining already!
I'm not sure I even want them to meet up again in the future - actually, I know I don't. We've got the big special effects CGI battle spectacular, and they've proven they can't be bother to work on a story when these two icons meet up, so the only point of it now would be more big special effects CGI battle spectacular. I've got my dumb GvK movie, I don't need more dumb GvK movies - and I don't see them moving away from the dumb model of moviemaking again for a while. If we could get something closer to the intelligent storytelling of G14 or K:SI again, sure. But if it's just going to be more dumbness like GvK, please, let's not bother.

Other than seeing them do more fights, what's the point?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Vakanai wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:24 am

I'm not sure I even want them to meet up again in the future - actually, I know I don't. We've got the big special effects CGI battle spectacular, and they've proven they can't be bother to work on a story when these two icons meet up, so the only point of it now would be more big special effects CGI battle spectacular. I've got my dumb GvK movie, I don't need more dumb GvK movies - and I don't see them moving away from the dumb model of moviemaking again for a while. If we could get something closer to the intelligent storytelling of G14 or K:SI again, sure. But if it's just going to be more dumbness like GvK, please, let's not bother.

You may want to sit down before you read this, because it might shock you.... but 'big special effects battle spectacular' was half this genre's identity decades before CGI came along, and another quarter of the identity was 'big special effects city destruction spectacular'. Yes, GvK was problematically dumb, but calm down.

As for future story directions, they do have GvK's mess(?) to clean up. Kong came off as a sad loser monkey who got his ass kicked, not at all a king in his own right. He's still young, he's got some learning left to do. Maybe someday he can actually stand on his own two feet as an equal to Godzilla, and maybe crusty, bitter, paranoid old Godzilla can learn to ease up and not be the raging jackass he's become. They can be proper allies down the line, but there will be steps to get there. Maybe Kong raising Minya is one of those steps.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The next crossover is going to be two Titans double teaming Kong and Godzilla will show up a remix of his Hedorah/Megalon theme to save Kong lol.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:21 am
Vakanai wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:24 am

You may want to sit down before you read this, because it might shock you.... but 'big special effects battle spectacular' was half this genre's identity decades before CGI came along, and another quarter of the identity was 'big special effects city destruction spectacular'. Yes, GvK was problematically dumb, but calm down.

As for future story directions, they do have GvK's mess(?) to clean up. Kong came off as a sad loser monkey who got his ass kicked, not at all a king in his own right. He's still young, he's got some learning left to do. Maybe someday he can actually stand on his own two feet as an equal to Godzilla, and maybe crusty, bitter, paranoid old Godzilla can learn to ease up and not be the raging jackass he's become. They can be proper allies down the line, but there will be steps to get there. Maybe Kong raising Minya is one of those steps.
You may want sit down because this may shock you, but I already know that. That doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't complain when these movies go dumb, like really, really dumb, especially when it started so much better in the earlier entries in the franchise.

Also, I'm choosing not to take offense, but I am calm. I realize that tone isn't conveyed by text, but just because someone shares a negative opinion doesn't mean that they're emotionally uncalm.

As you yourself said, this movie was problematically dumb.

And after GvK failed to address any fall out of KotM, you think they'll address GvK's mess?

Look, they'll never make a movie where they're equals, and frankly these versions should never be allies. Why is it such a big deal to you that they make up and make friends down the road? If there's ever another crossover I think there's more logic in exploring their antagonism. Kong should never forgive Godzilla.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Okay, first and foremost, I'm not being entirely serious here. I do legitimately like the idea and am tossing out possible justifications for it, but not trying to, like, actually debate this or pick a hill to die on. I'm joking around as much as anything else. No offense intended. Remember, I agree with you that GvK was a trainwreck, but I just don't see any point in staying mad or trying to leave Godzilla and Kong interaction in the past. They're the main characters of the MV, and the majority liked GvK, so there's a solid chance they're going to meet again. As for the stupidity, all we can do is hope the writer and director put in more effort next time. *shrug* Gloom and doom won't help anything either way, though.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

There is no chance in Hell Godzilla and Kong won't meet again and team up unless Toho taks Godzilla out the MV. They're not Godzilla and Angurius but they're more than likely talkative.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:51 am Okay, first and foremost, I'm not being entirely serious here. I do legitimately like the idea and am tossing out possible justifications for it, but not trying to, like, actually debate this or pick a hill to die on. I'm joking around as much as anything else. No offense intended. Remember, I agree with you that GvK was a trainwreck, but I just don't see any point in staying mad or trying to leave Godzilla and Kong interaction in the past. They're the main characters of the MV, and the majority liked GvK, so there's a solid chance they're going to meet again. As for the stupidity, all we can do is hope the writer and director put in more effort next time. *shrug* Gloom and doom won't help anything either way, though.
I wouldn't say that I'm "staying mad" just because I'm still complaining about the major dip in quality this go around. I mean it's been what, a month since it came out maybe? And less since I saw it. I don't think it's fair to ask to stop saying bad things about this film so soon. I think we're allowed at least a few months to be salty here. Now if I dragged this on for years that'd be too much, but I can still be deeply disappointed in the film at this early stage of things.

I also wouldn't say that I'm being doom and gloom either, just that my hope differs from yours. Doom and gloom would mean that I have no hope left in this franchise. But I do. However my hopes are at odds with your hopes. I hope the two never cross paths again, and if they do that they never become allies and that Kong gets a solid victory against that jerk bastard take on Godzilla. It may not be what you want to see, but I genuinely think it would be best film-wise. That's not doom and gloom, that's just wanting a different direction at this point in the films, given what happened last time.

However I can agree with you that all we can do is hope the next writer and director do a much better job than the last (and that the last don't get hired again).

Added in 5 minutes 46 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:17 am There is no chance in Hell Godzilla and Kong won't meet again and team up unless Toho taks Godzilla out the MV. They're not Godzilla and Angurius but they're more than likely talkative.
If they do meet up again, I hope that they can avoid being allies. There's no reason that they should be, so I'd be more interested in a rematch with less stupidity and avoiding the cliche of them teaming up. Like, I get the idea of some people clamoring for another crossover, fans being fans, although it should be like a decade away. But do they have to become allies?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well, we both agree that Godzilla's vicious aggression was out of character in GvK. Maybe we can chalk that up to Mechagodzilla irritating him, stupid as that subplot was, and assume/hope he'll be back to normal next movie. I think that's almost a given, really, if they want Godzilla to play the hero again going forward, and I'm sure they do.

As for becoming allies, I don't need to to happen or anything, but it seems logical. They both have the same basic goal of keeping the world running smoothly and taking out monsters that cause problems, and once they realize that they're not truly in opposition (again, I think we both agree that GvK established no real reason for them to fight in the first place), their relationship may improve. Godzilla clearly has no problem accepting help from Mothra, and Kong seems like a decently amiable guy in general. I really don't see him being the type to hold a real grudge.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:26 am
As for becoming allies, I don't need to to happen or anything, but it seems logical.
Agreed. We've seen a common threat unite them, so what I'd like to see is something else bond them. AKA, if Son of Kong does get into production, they don't make a small Kong but a small Godzilla for him to bond with.

Basically, Mandalorian X Kong. New infant Godzilla is found in Hollow Earth, Kong is forced by circumstance to protect against another threat (Maybe another elder Kong also sealed away like the infant), and the film's end goal is Kong returning the infant Godzillasaur to Godzilla.

Simple, different and way more to mine character wise then Kong simply finding a younger Kong.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Greyshot151 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:33 am
As for becoming allies, I don't need to to happen or anything, but it seems logical.
Agreed. We've seen a common threat unite them, so what I'd like to see is something else bond them. AKA, if Son of Kong does get into production, they don't make a small Kong but a small Godzilla for him to bond with.

Basically, Mandalorian X Kong. New infant Godzilla is found in Hollow Earth, Kong is forced by circumstance to protect against another threat (Maybe another elder Kong also sealed away like the infant), and the film's end goal is Kong returning the infant Godzillasaur to Godzilla.

Simple, different and way more to mine character wise then Kong simply finding a younger Kong.
Now i’d really like that Som Of Kong. Hope that’s exactly how it’s like, since there’s so many options and places to take the MV to with that story

Also...ya’ll think Goji was out of character in GvK? I really don’t think so. I see it more as...

“I’ve been looking for this ghidorah-callin’ object for so damn long and i need to eliminate all traces of it as soon as possible. Oh, hey, Kong, a member of my rival species, is right off of skull island where he isn’t supposed to be. Gotta keep the balance as the new alpha while lookin’ for a giant robot, y’know?”
Last edited by Jermobooka on Mon May 17, 2021 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:48 am Also...ya’ll think Goji was out of character in GvK? I really don’t think so. I see it more as...

“I’ve been looking for this ghidorah-callin’ object for so damn long and i need to eliminate all traces of it as soon as possible. Oh, hey, Kong, a member of my rival species, is right off of skull island where he isn’t supposed to be. Gotta keep the balance as the new alpha while lookin’ for a giant robot, y’know?”
All of that, but throw in "I've been awake for 59 consecutive hours, I'm trying to quit smoking and cut out caffeine on the same day, my girlfriend says she's going to stay with her mom again, and the neighbor's cat shat in both my shoes TWICE-"

He was crawling around like a lizard. Godzilla. Like a lizard.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla can sense every Titan on Earth, if s baby Godzilla popped up what would blocking his sensing.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:26 am Well, we both agree that Godzilla's vicious aggression was out of character in GvK. Maybe we can chalk that up to Mechagodzilla irritating him, stupid as that subplot was, and assume/hope he'll be back to normal next movie. I think that's almost a given, really, if they want Godzilla to play the hero again going forward, and I'm sure they do.

As for becoming allies, I don't need to to happen or anything, but it seems logical. They both have the same basic goal of keeping the world running smoothly and taking out monsters that cause problems, and once they realize that they're not truly in opposition (again, I think we both agree that GvK established no real reason for them to fight in the first place), their relationship may improve. Godzilla clearly has no problem accepting help from Mothra, and Kong seems like a decently amiable guy in general. I really don't see him being the type to hold a real grudge.
I really don't see it as logical. United under a common threat does not equal allies, it only equals survival. If they're forced to team up, after the last film it'd make the most logical sense for them to turn on each other after that threat is put down. Godzilla was out of character straight up evil to Kong, Kong might not hold a grudge, but he shouldn't for a second be amiable to Godzilla.

Added in 4 minutes 20 seconds:
Jermobooka wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:48 am

Now i’d really like that Som Of Kong. Hope that’s exactly how it’s like, since there’s so many options and places to take the MV to with that story

Also...ya’ll think Goji was out of character in GvK? I really don’t think so. I see it more as...

Disagree. That wasn't simple keeping the natural balance, that was sheer hatred. He didn't even go that insane when fighting the MUTOs, a parasite to his species. He was vicious, angry, pissed, and seemingly for no good reason than a very, very, very vague "ancient rivals" thing that was given no reason for why that is, just told to us offhand by the human characters because.

Added in 1 minute 59 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:38 am
Jermobooka wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:48 am Also...ya’ll think Goji was out of character in GvK? I really don’t think so. I see it more as...

All of that, but throw in "I've been awake for 59 consecutive hours, I'm trying to quit smoking and cut out caffeine on the same day, my girlfriend says she's going to stay with her mom again, and the neighbor's cat shat in both my shoes TWICE-"

Yeah, it was just too much. Godzilla never acted that damned bestial in the previous films. He was basically a crocodile on steroids.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:09 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:26 am Well, we both agree that Godzilla's vicious aggression was out of character in GvK. Maybe we can chalk that up to Mechagodzilla irritating him, stupid as that subplot was, and assume/hope he'll be back to normal next movie. I think that's almost a given, really, if they want Godzilla to play the hero again going forward, and I'm sure they do.

I really don't see it as logical. United under a common threat does not equal allies, it only equals survival. If they're forced to team up, after the last film it'd make the most logical sense for them to turn on each other after that threat is put down. Godzilla was out of character straight up evil to Kong, Kong might not hold a grudge, but he shouldn't for a second be amiable to Godzilla.

Added in 4 minutes 20 seconds:
Jermobooka wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:48 am

Disagree. That wasn't simple keeping the natural balance, that was sheer hatred. He didn't even go that insane when fighting the MUTOs, a parasite to his species. He was vicious, angry, pissed, and seemingly for no good reason than a very, very, very vague "ancient rivals" thing that was given no reason for why that is, just told to us offhand by the human characters because.

Added in 1 minute 59 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:38 am

Yeah, it was just too much. Godzilla never acted that damned bestial in the previous films. He was basically a crocodile on steroids.
Godzilla changing his fighting style doesn't make him Evil. The Mutos were too weak and Godzilla tried to out power Ghidorah. Kong was a weaker Titan but was difficult to defeat. Godzilla simply changed his fighting style like a fighter would in a fight.

Something that may seem cruel to us could be completely understandable to a Titan.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image