Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Re: Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

Vakanai wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:07 am
I'm not saying it wouldn't be popular to way too many people. I'm saying, it wouldn't work for making a good movie. Sure, maybe a ton of merch would get sold and maybe social media would become even more annoying than it already is because some people love the cuteness. But personally, I don't care about merch and social media, just film quality. And it's hard to see that happening with a Son of Kong movie.

Besides, Groot/Yoda/Sonic have more cartoony wiggle room to up the adorable factor. Whereas a baby Kong is, will, a smaller Kong. Basically resembling closely a baby gorilla. There's not as much wiggle room in the design. Plus, you know, it's still a kaiju baby, so unlike those other examples it won't be tiny, which is part of the appeal. So we can't really say it'd receive the same success.

So, people might love the character, doesn't mean it'd help the film. And it's just a story I can't see being any good. I mean, the MV writers recently have kind of proven that they can't write a good script right now anyways, do we need to give them the worst route on top of that?

And is there really an announcement on a Baby Groot film or is this a guess?
While I'm not so sure about Kong, I honestly feel that Godzilla needs a son in this series. We have had three films where Godzilla's arc is: bad monster awakens, Godzilla almost dies, kills bad monster and goes to sleep. He needs new stakes because at this point he is pretty much invincible. The perfect stakes are giving Godzilla something he cares about that can be taken away. Kong already has attachment to ground his character and make the audience sympathize with him. Godzilla doesn't have this, and I feel like having baby Godzilla would allow for that.

As for cutesy factor? I dunno, if you told me that a baby Yoda would be the cutest thing in fiction before The Mandalorian came out, I wouldn't have believed you. Hollywood creatives can do incredible things.

So anyway, I feel like Son of Godzilla is the best route for his character. Kong? I feel like he has plenty of directions to go.

And I Am Groot, a series of animated shortfilms starring Baby Groot, was announced earlier this year. So not exactly a movie, but still.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

yogi bareass
Samurai

Post by yogi bareass »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:49 pm
yogi bareass wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:07 am I just think the idea of titan children is going to get MV killed and laughed out of theaters.
I know, it's really terrifying. I mean, just look at the trail of dead franchises this concept had left in its wake. Son of Kong in 1933 was the last Kong movie ever made. Son of Godzilla ended the Showa Godzilla series in 1967. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla '93 one-shotted the Heisei series. Son of Blob was the death of that franchise. Have you ever heard of Frankenstein? I doubt it; Son of Frankenstein murdered that character in the '40s. The list goes on. I can't believe Legendary is even considering such a suicidal idea.
LOL.......
Last edited by yogi bareass on Sun May 02, 2021 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

yogi bareass wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:55 am
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:49 pm I know, it's really terrifying. I mean, just look at the trail of dead franchises this concept had left in its wake. Son of Kong in 1933 was the last Kong movie ever made. Son of Godzilla ended the Showa Godzilla series in 1967. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla '93 one-shotted the Heisei series. Son of Blob was the death of that franchise. Have you ever heard of Frankenstein? I doubt it; Son of Frankenstein murdered that character in the '40s. The list goes on. I can't believe Legendary is even considering such a suicidal idea.
Lmao None of these movies you mentioned were all that well liked or received, Except for MG'93. You're talking out of your ass, Honey.
Now, hang on just a moment there. Son of Frankenstein is fucking great!

So is Son of Godzilla...
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Shoopwoop17 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:48 am
Vakanai wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:07 am
I'm not saying it wouldn't be popular to way too many people. I'm saying, it wouldn't work for making a good movie. Sure, maybe a ton of merch would get sold and maybe social media would become even more annoying than it already is because some people love the cuteness. But personally, I don't care about merch and social media, just film quality. And it's hard to see that happening with a Son of Kong movie.

Besides, Groot/Yoda/Sonic have more cartoony wiggle room to up the adorable factor. Whereas a baby Kong is, will, a smaller Kong. Basically resembling closely a baby gorilla. There's not as much wiggle room in the design. Plus, you know, it's still a kaiju baby, so unlike those other examples it won't be tiny, which is part of the appeal. So we can't really say it'd receive the same success.

So, people might love the character, doesn't mean it'd help the film. And it's just a story I can't see being any good. I mean, the MV writers recently have kind of proven that they can't write a good script right now anyways, do we need to give them the worst route on top of that?

And is there really an announcement on a Baby Groot film or is this a guess?
While I'm not so sure about Kong, I honestly feel that Godzilla needs a son in this series. We have had three films where Godzilla's arc is: bad monster awakens, Godzilla almost dies, kills bad monster and goes to sleep. He needs new stakes because at this point he is pretty much invincible. The perfect stakes are giving Godzilla something he cares about that can be taken away. Kong already has attachment to ground his character and make the audience sympathize with him. Godzilla doesn't have this, and I feel like having baby Godzilla would allow for that.

As for cutesy factor? I dunno, if you told me that a baby Yoda would be the cutest thing in fiction before The Mandalorian came out, I wouldn't have believed you. Hollywood creatives can do incredible things.

So anyway, I feel like Son of Godzilla is the best route for his character. Kong? I feel like he has plenty of directions to go.

And I Am Groot, a series of animated shortfilms starring Baby Groot, was announced earlier this year. So not exactly a movie, but still.
I'm going to have to disagree that Godzilla needs a son. There's other ways to shake up the plot or raise the stakes, never mind finding smaller, more personal stories to tell. I can't say if they'd do better at the BO with general audiences, it's not like any of us can really predict the GA response, but I know that I'd rather them do anything than bring in the baby Godzilla or baby Kong stuff. Honestly, I might rather the MV end than have it continue if giving the kaiju children is the route they want to go down. It's just the most uninteresting thing I can imagine.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Vakanai wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:08 pm
And once you introduce a kid, you're stuck with it for all the sequels
[/quote]

Not necessarily. You can easily bring in a kid for one film, then the next either crossover film or stand alone Kong film have the infant Kong get killed early or halfway by the film's antagonist (human or titan) and use that as a driving motivation for Kong's character development. You can even have the film be about Kong trying to rescue his son only for the end of the movie have him fail to save his son and then use that to add further to his tragedy and character development.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

yogi bareass wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:07 am I just think the idea of titan children is going to get MV killed and laughed out of theaters.
I know, it's really terrifying. I mean, just look at the trail of dead franchises this concept had left in its wake. Son of Kong in 1933 was the last Kong movie ever made. Son of Godzilla ended the Showa Godzilla series in 1967. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla '93 one-shotted the Heisei series. Son of Blob was the death of that franchise. Have you ever heard of Frankenstein? I doubt it; Son of Frankenstein murdered that character in the '40s. The list goes on. I can't believe Legendary is even considering such a suicidal idea.
LOL.......
In response to the first version of this post: am I the one talking out of my ass? We were talking about whether any of those movies killed their franchises/series/characters. None did. Whether they were liked or well-received is a separate point entirely. But considering that the 'son of' concept gets recycled time and again, clearly the studios have confidence that it sells.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

KK42 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:59 am
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:49 pm I know, it's really terrifying. I mean, just look at the trail of dead franchises this concept had left in its wake. Son of Kong in 1933 was the last Kong movie ever made. Son of Godzilla ended the Showa Godzilla series in 1967. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla '93 one-shotted the Heisei series. Son of Blob was the death of that franchise. Have you ever heard of Frankenstein? I doubt it; Son of Frankenstein murdered that character in the '40s. The list goes on. I can't believe Legendary is even considering such a suicidal idea.
Lmao None of these movies you mentioned were all that well liked or received, Except for MG'93. You're talking out of your ass, Honey.
Now, hang on just a moment there. Son of Frankenstein is skreeonking great!

So is Son of Godzilla...
That's right, it was the 1940s films, starting with The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942), that the Universal Frankenstein films started to go downhill in the GAs eyes (Son of Frankenstein was released in 1939). The one thing about that 1939 film (the last time Boris Karloff portrayed the Frankenstein Monster in a film, btw) was that it was the beginning of the Universal version of the Frankenstein Monster's depiction as a savage, mindless brute instead of the sympathetic, almost human creature he was in the first two films.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:13 am

Not necessarily. You can easily bring in a kid for one film, then the next either crossover film or stand alone Kong film have the infant Kong get killed early or halfway by the film's antagonist (human or titan) and use that as a driving motivation for Kong's character development. You can even have the film be about Kong trying to rescue his son only for the end of the movie have him fail to save his son and then use that to add further to his tragedy and character development.
Really? You think the MV is gonna risk the "kill the cute kid" plot? Not in a million years.

Added in 2 minutes 13 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:46 am

LOL.......
In response to the first version of this post: am I the one talking out of my ass? We were talking about whether any of those movies killed their franchises/series/characters. None did. Whether they were liked or well-received is a separate point entirely. But considering that the 'son of' concept gets recycled time and again, clearly the studios have confidence that it sells.
Studios may have confidence in it, for some stupid reason. And it may not be a franchise killer. But they weren't well like for the most part, and I'm not sure we should be arguing in favor of largely unliked ideas. That just seems like a bad argument for anyone to make.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

yogi bareass
Samurai

Post by yogi bareass »

Vakanai wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:28 am
darthzilla99 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:13 am

Really? You think the MV is gonna risk the "kill the cute kid" plot? Not in a million years.

Added in 2 minutes 13 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:46 am
LOL.......
Studios may have confidence in it, for some stupid reason. And it may not be a franchise killer. But they weren't well like for the most part, and I'm not sure we should be arguing in favor of largely unliked ideas. That just seems like a bad argument for anyone to make.
Couldn't have said it better. There are, In my view, 3 great avenues for potential for this universe. You have the entire hollow earth, You have an in for Destroyah, and you have an in for Gigan or whatever other mech someone can make to fight G or Kong. Making a "Son of (Insert creature here)" is a mistake, a cliche, and lazy.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I wonder if they'll try MechaKong as a villian here?

Added in 47 seconds:
As for Son of Godzilla I'd personally want Biollante first and Godzilla try to bind with her to realize he is lonely.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I can already say I don't want Adam Wingard anywhere near a Biollante movie. If he couldn't even handle Godzilla, something as complex as Biollante is way out of his league.

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

Don't give a rat's ass about a new Kong movie, Godzilla 3 is where it's at for me. I hope we don't have to wait another 5 years for it.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:40 pm I can already say I don't want Adam Wingard anywhere near a Biollante movie. If he couldn't even handle Godzilla, something as complex as Biollante is way out of his league.
How didn't he handle Godzilla?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

We’re likely way behind the loop on leaks of this nature and there is much more ‘substantial happenings’ going on behind closed doors that we likely won’t even get wind of until months from now.

I have a feeling pre-productions for multiple installments will be commencing in the not-too-distant future — if they haven’t already.
Last edited by obZen on Sun May 02, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

obZen wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:07 pm We’re likely way behind the loop on leaks of this nature and there is much more ‘substantial happenings’ going on behind closed doors that we likely won’t even get wind of until months from now.

I have a feeling pre-productions for multiple installments will be commencing in the not-too-distant future — if they haven’t already.
We're definitely super behind, yeah. I'm not sure about multiple installments, personally, but I hope you're right! =)

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:09 pm How didn't he handle Godzilla?
Godzilla's behavior in GvK was inconsistent with what we'd seen previously in the Monsterverse. His over-the-top, rabid aggression toward Kong felt undeserved and nonsensical considering that he hadn't acted that way toward the MUTOs or even Ghidorah, both of whom were obvious threats while Kong was not. It's obvious that the intention at some point of the filmmaking process was for Godzilla's hatred to be due to the ancient war between his and Kong's species, but that was removed in editing or something. All we were left with was a small amount of vague dialogue and a skeleton hinting at Godzilla's motivation. That could have been enough, but Godzilla's hunt for Mechagodzilla overshadowed his relationship with Kong, and was implied to be the primary source of his anger.

To head off some potential counter-points:

- Yes, I know about the debate regarding the skeleton's identity. No, I don't want that debate to migrate over here. I don't care what anyone's theory or headcanon might be. Doesn't make any difference.

- I don't give a guinea pig's ballsack about anything stated in comics, novelizations, or any other supplementary material. Nothing against those things, but they should never be necessary to making sense of what happens on screen.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:09 am
Godzilla's behavior in GvK was inconsistent with what we'd seen previously in the Monsterverse. His over-the-top, rabid aggression toward Kong felt undeserved and nonsensical considering that he hadn't acted that way toward the MUTOs or even Ghidorah, both of whom were obvious threats while Kong was not. It's obvious that the intention at some point of the filmmaking process was for Godzilla's hatred to be due to the ancient war between his and Kong's species, but that was removed in editing or something. All we were left with was a small amount of vague dialogue and a skeleton hinting at Godzilla's motivation. That could have been enough, but Godzilla's hunt for Mechagodzilla overshadowed his relationship with Kong, and was implied to be the primary source of his anger.

- Yes, I know about the debate regarding the skeleton's identity. No, I don't want that debate to migrate over here. I don't care what anyone's theory or headcanon might be. Doesn't make any difference.

- I don't give a guinea pig's ballsack about anything stated in comics, novelizations, or any other supplementary material. Nothing against those things, but they should never be necessary to making sense of what happens on screen.
The only difference between Kong, Ghidorah and the Mutos is that Kong had to fight Godzilla with no advantages. Godzilla put both the Female and Ghidorah underwater quickly the same as he did with Kong.

It didn't seem to me that he treat Kong differently than the other rivals. Kong simply fought Godzilla's fight where as the Mutos used cheap tactics and Ghidorah could over power Godzilla.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:32 am
JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:09 am

The only difference between Kong, Ghidorah and the Mutos is that Kong had to fight Godzilla with no advantages. Godzilla put both the Female and Ghidorah underwater quickly the same as he did with Kong.

It didn't seem to me that he treat Kong differently than the other rivals. Kong simply fought Godzilla's fight where as the Mutos used cheap tactics and Ghidorah could over power Godzilla.
Godzilla was far more aggressive here than the last two movies. He had no problem killing humans to get at Kong, for example; he'd never done that before. There was the Golden Gate Bridge, but that felt far more impersonal, like he was just in a hurry and had an obstacle to get past. He dove under the ships when approaching Honolulu, but here he just plows through or actively swats down any military resistance.

When confronting Kong, his usual pride and kingly bearing just go out the window and he acts like a vicious lizard, even crawling around on all fours. That was immediately obvious to me from the first trailer. He doesn't posture or threaten or mess around as much as with the MUTOs and Ghidorah, but just spams his atomic ray and goes straight for the kill at every opportunity.

So clearly he was very personally invested in the fight with Kong. This wasn't about territory or status, this was hatred. But the movie failed to make that clear, and it ended up looking like Kong was this sideshow he wanted out of the way so he could hunt Mechagodzilla.

Basically, it's kind of like if Tony Stark had started Civil War in the state he was in at the end, hellbent on killing Bucky and taking away Cap's shield, and all the movie did to explain it was have someone offhandedly mention that "well, this guy Zemo told him something about Barnes a while back..." and briefly show a car on the side of the road, while clumsily shoving Tony's quest to stop Thanos into the story at the same time.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I see where you are coming from with that. He was very aggressive this one, almost maliciously so. Hatred, possibly.

When I saw, I thought it as him being blinded with fury that humans, which he had tried not to attack or provoke, provoking HIM by reviving his long-time nemesis that he had recently slain, with the HELP of the humans. Kong getting in the crossfire was confusing and he may have assumed the humans sided with Kong over him (which is kind of true), as well as remembering their species rivalry.

In sum, I saw it as Godzilla finally losing his shit after being patient with the humans for so long, and Kong being a rival alpha and part of a species that opposed his didn’t help matters.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

CyberZilla wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:09 pm I see where you are coming from with that. He was very aggressive this one, almost maliciously so. Hatred, possibly.

When I saw, I thought it as him being blinded with fury that humans, which he had tried not to attack or provoke, provoking HIM by reviving his long-time nemesis that he had recently slain, with the HELP of the humans. Kong getting in the crossfire was confusing and he may have assumed the humans sided with Kong over him (which is kind of true), as well as remembering their species rivalry.

In sum, I saw it as Godzilla finally losing his poop after being patient with the humans for so long, and Kong being a rival alpha and part of a species that opposed his didn’t help matters.
Fair and plausible assessment. I dunno, I guess I really just need to rewatch GvK with no expectations and see what I see. I was tired the day I saw it in theaters, and then the movie opening by shoving KOTM under the rug pissed me off and wrecked my mood for the rest of the viewing. I'm just going to back off the negativity and let it go until I get around to the rewatch.