Godzilla: Dominion and Kingdom Kong

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla: Dominion and Kingdom Kong

Post by darthzilla99 »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:16 am Huh can we get a poll added for which story people like more?
Saw a post from Matt Frank talking about how he found Kingdom Kong far more solid and that it is hard to get Godzilla from an American perspective and several agreed they liked Kingdom Kong more.
Honestly I just like Dominion so far because I really really wanted to see Godzilla's reign on the other monsters so much. Not to say I didn't want to see the last days of Skull Island.
In all Honesty, Matt Frank is overly picky with Americans not getting Godzilla (ironic given the various American comics he wrote at IDW). I won't go into detail, but lately he's been an annoying loud mouth on various Godzilla facebook groups to other fans that differ in opinion to his on various topics. I would take his thoughts with a grain of salt.

As far as the two books are concerned, I enjoyed both but liked Dominion more. I liked the narration of Godzilla's thoughts and it added some character depth to him. It also felt more original than Kingdom Kong, which I felt was kinda of a little bit of a rehash to Birth of Kong in tone and style for me.
Spoiler:
Also, is just me or is behemoth becoming the kaiju equivalent of the bad Boba Fett (pre-mandalorian) sterotype trope? By that I mean both were built with fan bases for their designs and both have hype built up around them only to both get their asses kicked majorly the one time you see them in big fights
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Yeah, Matt Frank is one of those people who will set the most particular and strict expectations for American Godzilla’s and complain endlessly if they are strayed from in the slightest, but Toho is allowed to do whatever they want in their eyes.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Well it is just his opinion you can either agree with it or not. I chose not too but that's because Godzilla and Kong are two fundamentally different characters.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah it's just his opinion. I was just surprised he liked Kingdom Kong more which again I enjoyed but Dominion is pretty unique for being totally from the kaiju's perspective.

CosmicComet
Ronin

Post by CosmicComet »

Matt Frank is insufferable at times.

yogi bareass
Samurai

Post by yogi bareass »

CosmicComet wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:49 am Matt Frank is insufferable at times.
He certainly is.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah sometimes Matt Frank can be a little...
Anyway finished both comics and yeah I liked Dominion a bit more. Kong and fighter jets vs. Camazotz and Brood would be a cool battle to see on film. I cheered a little when Kong saved the lead.
I also started reading the novelization of GvK and it cleared up one little thing that concerned me. When Godzilla saves Na Kika I noticed the Monarch signature on a few things and got worried he was attacking Monarch. Within the first few pages it becomes clear the group grabbing Na Kika was using stolen Monarch equipment. A nice tough.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Anyone have scans of the Dunkleosteus titan?