I don't think the Godzilla films have focused enough on Godzilla himself.

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

I don't think the Godzilla films have focused enough on Godzilla himself.

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Has anyone noticed that there's hardly any Godzilla in these movies? He's always getting overshadowed by the monsters he fights.

The first film was mostly a MUTO movie. With Godzilla showing up to hunt them. Second film was more of a Ghidorah movie. Third was mostly Kong. I'm surprised how little of Godzilla was actually in it.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a Monsterverse film that actually focused on Godzilla more?
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Zakkary123
Young Farmer

Re: I don't think the Godzilla films have focused enough on Godzilla himself.

Post by Zakkary123 »

I tend to agree. They've tried to paint Godzilla as the "good guy" through character dialogue, but we literally only see him attacking and destroying things, and as you say the focus is always on the other monsters. It would have been cool in the first movie if the MOTU wasn't introduced until the end, and the humans thought Godzilla was evil but then reveal he is hunting the MOTU.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

I think KOTM gave us a bit more Godzilla focus, but I would love a movie where Godzilla himself is front and center. I’m not asking for him to be the sole monster, but giving him a chance to show his own expressions or personality would be fun.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

CosmicComet
Ronin

Post by CosmicComet »

The Godzilla Dominion comic that just came out is great because it's all based on Godzilla's perspective.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

It's kind of like Batman or Spiderman. At this point they just assume people know the gist and they dont want to do yet another full blown origin movie. Just "hey. Here you go. It's Spiderman. You already know how he got here, now let's get to the action."

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

I think it’s difficult to make Godzilla work as the primary focus of a two hour movie. GvK was able to make Kong the main character of the film because Kong is a fairly “human” kaiju who is much more vulnerable, both physically and emotionally. Godzilla is a giant reptile who’s basically indestructible, on top of being fairly stoic.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kong is a character, Godzilla is a plot device or an event.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

I tend to agree, but I understand the bind that Legendary is in on this front. It's hard to make a movie that's solely or even mainly about Godzilla while also having him be a sympathetic and at least somewhat heroic character, which is clearly what they were setting out to do from the beginning.
In my opinion, of course.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

The only film that really applies that too is G14. KOTM is anchor by Godzilla's rivalry with Ghidorah and expands on the idea that Godzilla is a force of nature that truly restores balance and how humans must come to terms with that. Godzilla vs Kong may seem more Kong centric which make sense because Kong only had one film and those events happened 51 years before GvK but when you really pay attention to the point and I think alot of people just paid too much attention to butthurt fans of Godzilla and Kong to realize how much Godzilla's attack on Apex really drives to plot forward along with the events if KOTM still being at play. The whole reason Walter Simmons and Ren Serizawa approach Nathan Lind to lead the next expedition to the Hollow Earth is to find a power source to power a weapon(MechaGodzilla) to defeat Godzilla. When Nathan approaches Ilene Andrews he mentions against that they need to stop Godzilla and it's important to note that their plan never really involved Kong fighting Godzilla Ilene in fact tried to avoid that at all costs and Walter Simmons pretty much had MechaGodzilla built for that purpose. What really is the genius thing about this movie is that Kong is almost like the audience surrogate being brought out of his comfort zone and dropped into the larger Godzilla world and both Godzilla and Kong learned that an alliance is more beneficial for both than a rivalry.