Discussion of the Titular Fights: Godzilla vs. Kong

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Who Won?

Godzilla
94%
Kong
2%
Depends on the Environment
4%

Total votes: 146

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: Discussion of the Titular Fights: Godzilla vs. Kong

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Showzilla wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:12 am
gottatalktothefake wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:10 am
Showzilla wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:05 am Where have you guys gotten this stuff?
Jared did an AMA on Reddit, Wingard holding back is from the special features
I know Jared, I read his ama

Where did you get the special features?
The movie is out on digital, you get the features with the
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:31 am
gottatalktothefake wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:10 am
Jared did an AMA on Reddit, Wingard holding back is from the special features

where can I buy it?

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

None of this surprises me. The next time Kong fanboys go "but Mechagodzilla was beating Godzilla!" flash em that! I just wish Wingard did a better idea of explaining his perspective with that in-film rather than leaving it look like it was on first glance without context.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Showzilla wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:29 pm

where can I buy it?
Amazon
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:28 am
where can I buy it?
Amazon
I got the 4k ultra bundle from them, but I don't see any option for a digital copy with special features, how did you get your?

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Showzilla wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:37 am

where can I buy it?
Amazon
I got the 4k ultra bundle from them, but I don't see any option for a digital copy with special features, how did you get your?
It’s on prime video, you can also buy it on youtube

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:05 pm
Showzilla wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:37 am
Amazon
It’s on prime video, you can also buy it on youtube
and you can watch the commentary on prime?

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

So, the latest thing for kong fans

" The missed Godzilla's head, Kong could have killed him"

Except Adam flat out said the axe hit him

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Showzilla wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:09 pm So, the latest thing for kong fans

Oh nonononononononono
Where did he say this?
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Sun May 30, 2021 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Lmao, now the latest is either:

"The axe hit wasn't full power because it was overcharged and exploded when it hit instead of penetrating Godzilla's skull"
or
"The axe exploded before it hit Godzilla, when Wingard says the "axe hit Godzilla" he means "the energy blast from the axe exploding before it made contact hit Godzilla"

these people lmao. I Liked Kong better in the film but...damn. Just accept the fact that Kong got manhandled and move on.
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Mon May 31, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:35 pm
Showzilla wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:09 pm So, the latest thing for kong fans

Oh nonononononononono
Where did he say this?
In both the commentary and the reddit AMA

In the commentary, Wingard also flat out says that Godzilla is unkillable to the likes of Kong("Godzilla was never afraid for a second that he was going to lose any of these fights...At the end of the day, Godzilla is Godzilla. You can't kill Godzilla, basically."), and that nothing in the movie would've killed him. The only thing that came even close to killing him in the entire film was the "Kiss of Death" by Mechagodzilla, which was the only way he could imagine Godzilla going down.

Added in 34 minutes 12 seconds:
gottatalktothefake wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:51 am Jared (Mechagodzilla designer) said Godzilla would barley beat Mechagodzilla if both were at full power, and that Mechagodzilla would decimate kong if both were at full power

Kinda tells you all you need to know
Although I'm not quite sure we should take his words as 100% canon. Not trying to discredit him, but if you read his interview with Scified, it seems that he wasn't very involved with the production of the film. He designed Mechagodzilla of course, but he also says that he didn't know how his design was being used in the film, and that the first time he saw the finished film was through leaks, just like the rest of us.

Wingard's words should be taken as canon since as the director, he had the most (and final) say in how each scene plays out, and his intentions are directly reflected in each sequence. But I don't think that a concept designer's words has the same canonicity as the director.

Wingard did confirm that Godzilla would have fought a lot better against Mechagodzilla if he hadn't been drained beforehand, and that the two are more equal in terms of power than how things played out on-screen. But he never really specified who would have won the battle between MechaG and a fully winded Godzilla. He just says that MechaG is designed to be one step ahead of Godzilla, and that he's able to outthink/outgun him, although he also believes that Godzilla is able to tank most of MechaG's attacks even when he's tired.
Last edited by Vandarker on Mon May 31, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I was told a while.back in the spoilers thread before the film came out that Apex needed Kong to fight first so Mechagodzilla would have a guaranteed win.

A scene like that could have easily been cut but the consensus was If Godzilla and Mechagodzilla went 1 on 1 at 100% Apex was afraid Godzilla would come out on top.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Post by KaijuKingGojira »

I love how Adam basically makes it worse and worse for Kong fans after the fact. I understood perfectly well and stated here when the movie first came out that Kong never really hurt Godzilla at all and has no conceivable way to beat Godzilla. The flying supercharged axe to the dome was honestly the pinnacle of what Kong could do to Godzilla via an absolutely perfect set up... and Godzy literally shook it off. Even Godzilla’s stubborn attempts of spamming his atomic breath at Kong, even in close quarters, was what gave Kong the opportunity to look good. I actually love that fact tbh, everyone always bangs on “oh Godzilla has the fire/lazer breath so that’s why he wins”, yet in the movie, that’s what gives Kong a chance to land some blows whilst Godzilla godstomps Kong when it comes to h2h. Nice reversal of the trope and I especially love how physical Legendary Godzy is.
On another note, I think Adam stating that MechaG never really had Godzilla, even a TIRED Godzilla on the ropes besides the near kiss of death, kinda points towards Ghidorah being MechaG’s superior in a fight which most guessed anyway. King G had Godzilla on the ropes a couple of times whereas MechaG mostly speed blitzed him yet Godzilla got up totally fine after the fight.
Overall, I think having Godzilla far superior to Kong works well from a narrative point of view since Kong can handle/struggle with some smaller level threats while Godzilla deals with the world enders. I hope and pray we get more Godzilla moving forward and NEED him to get the red spiral ray and possibly a natural, less amped version of nuclear pulse to make him, imo, the perfect composite Godzilla.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

The whole "equals" debate was pretty ridiculous in hindsight... It was confirmed pretty early on that Kong was going to be the underdog, but Kong fans somehow managed to work their brains around that fact, and made it their mission to prove that Kong is 'equal' to Godzilla by making groundless assumptions based on a trailer which was clearly intended to highlight Kong. Which, in itself, was nonsensical in the first place because why would you need to get a big magic axe to fight when you're "equal" to your opponent? It was pretty agonizing to argue against them because every time you refute their claims, they would keep on pulling out new headcanons to convince thenselves otherwise... The movie proved them wrong of course, and the commentary pretty much shoves that fact in their face. I'm glad that the director himself settled the debate and that it's all over.
Last edited by Vandarker on Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I certainly remember people complaining that Kong getting lots of hits in during the first trailer saying 'they made Godzilla look weak!' Mind you almost every meme about the movie then was Godzilla stomping, carrying Kong like a baby, simply breathing fire was going to be the fight. So I figured Kong needed to look strong in the first trailer.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I feel Godzilla was built a little too strong looking at the movie.

If Godzilla is that far above Kong what happens if something like Destroyah shows up and Godzilla is missing again.

Kong and Rodan wouldn't be able buy time unless Kong gets stronger in the next film.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:23 am I feel Godzilla was built a little too strong looking at the movie.

If Godzilla is that far above Kong what happens if something like Destroyah shows up and Godzilla is missing again.

Kong and Rodan wouldn't be able buy time unless Kong gets stronger in the next film.
I want a fight like that, Godzilla is on his way there but it’ll take a few minutes and Kong and rodan have to buy time it’d be interesting and would have a good payoff. Maybe Godzilla bursts into the fight at the last second and kong does a “YESSSS” from Thor ragnarok king of thing.

In other news, Adam literally said that it’s impossible for kong to kill Godzilla, he can’t physically do it, even with the axe. With makes since because the fully charged axe slamming on his head didn’t do much and used up the whole charge.

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Post by KaijuKingGojira »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:23 am I feel Godzilla was built a little too strong looking at the movie.

That’s because Destroyah needs to be Godzilla’s fight and his alone. I feel like Destroyah, if it was a battle Royale type thing, needs to decimate everyone until a supercharged (to the point of dying) Godzilla shows up in a truly biblical level fight. Alternatively, have Destroyah make “offspring” to conquer the planet (in the form of his original flying and crab forms) and while Mothra and Rodan battle the flying Destroyah’s, Kong leads the ground Titans against the crab Destroyah’s and finally, Godzilla faces the main Destroyah alone.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KaijuKingGojira wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:32 pm

That’s because Destroyah needs to be Godzilla’s fight and his alone. I feel like Destroyah, if it was a battle Royale type thing, needs to decimate everyone until a supercharged (to the point of dying) Godzilla shows up in a truly biblical level fight. Alternatively, have Destroyah make “offspring” to conquer the planet (in the form of his original flying and crab forms) and while Mothra and Rodan battle the flying Destroyah’s, Kong leads the ground Titans against the crab Destroyah’s and finally, Godzilla faces the main Destroyah alone.
If Destroyah shows up it needs to live up to its name this time.

I'd rather Destroyah be the one to kill the majority of the Titans off and then Godzilla and a few others stop him together.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

KaijuKingGojira wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:32 pm

That would be a great role, not just for Destroyah but for everyone

It’s every Kaiju fans wet dream for a Hollywood take on Destroy all monsters and there’s a damn good reason why