Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Dv-218
Futurian

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Dv-218 »

obZen wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:09 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:40 pm I can't believe people are still trying to push bullshit about the power armor being something that was meant to be in the movie and not just random toy gimmicks like it blatantly is.
Dude, there’s a guy who literally worked on the movie VFX who has since stated there were partially-finished sequences with Godzilla in the armor.

This has nothing to do with whether or not I personally wanted to see the armor in the movie, so get that out of your head — I don’t understand how some of you discount something to the contrary of your own *opinion* and automatically chalk it up to it absolutely having to be a toy gimmick which seems like a lazy assessment, quite frankly. Like, I get it, we all saw it as a toy almost two years ago but to just dismiss it as a toy gimmick is like a cop-out especially when there’s literally nothing to refute the fact that someone who actually worked on the movie said that in fact, the armor was slated to be featured in the movie.

At this point, there is more evidence that suggests that the red armor was initially slated to be in the movie than there is that it was merely a toy gimmick.

Like I said, I couldn’t give two shits if the armor made the movie or not because I’m happy with the movie we got — but I’m not dismissing what’s been asserted by someone that actually had a hand in production just because someone from this board has to be right all the time.

lol
I didn't actually know the red armor was mentioned by a VFX artist, that's pretty interesting. Color me wrong then :lol: Is there a link to an official statement?
Still can't fathom how and where it would have come to play, but to hell with it. Just happy that whatever was planned didn't make the cut.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

Dv-218 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:34 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:40 pm I can't believe people are still trying to push bullshit about the power armor being something that was meant to be in the movie and not just random toy gimmicks like it blatantly is.
Dude, there’s a guy who literally worked on the movie VFX who has since stated there were partially-finished sequences with Godzilla in the armor.

This has nothing to do with whether or not I personally wanted to see the armor in the movie, so get that out of your head — I don’t understand how some of you discount something to the contrary of your own *opinion* and automatically chalk it up to it absolutely having to be a toy gimmick which seems like a lazy assessment, quite frankly. Like, I get it, we all saw it as a toy almost two years ago but to just dismiss it as a toy gimmick is like a cop-out especially when there’s literally nothing to refute the fact that someone who actually worked on the movie said that in fact, the armor was slated to be featured in the movie.

At this point, there is more evidence that suggests that the red armor was initially slated to be in the movie than there is that it was merely a toy gimmick.

Like I said, I couldn’t give two shits if the armor made the movie or not because I’m happy with the movie we got — but I’m not dismissing what’s been asserted by someone that actually had a hand in production just because someone from this board has to be right all the time.

lol
I didn't actually know the red armor was mentioned by a VFX artist, that's pretty interesting. Color me wrong then :lol: Is there a link to an official statement?
Still can't fathom how and where it would have come to play, but to hell with it. Just happy that whatever was planned didn't make the cut.
He works for MPC FX which was tasked with doing the Hong Kong fight among other scenes — he posted the tidbit about the armor on his social media account a few weeks back, I’ll look for the link...

PM’d.
Last edited by obZen on Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

That 4chan 5 hour cut rumor talking about Mega Kong, Mega Godzilla and the power armor is faker than Jr being Godzilla 2000.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

I saw that from a mile away.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Showzilla wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:02 pm So yeah, peeps on YouTube found out about the whole "Godzilla was gassing even before he fought kong"

And the cope is strong

" Well, the novels HINT that the kongs won the war"

When both jia and Godzilla state "lol, the monkeys got chased out by Godzilla's granpappy"

"Well, the kongs drove the Gojiras off of their surface home in dominion"

Apparently, from several people have said, a bunch of Kong's drove Godzilla himself off back when he was an adolescent.

They really ain't happy about the loss being even worse.
Late reply, but...
That doesn't make sense, though. Godzilla would've been much older than an adolescent age by the time the Kong species came around. If it's true, they're just changing what's established as they go along and coming up with nonsense. I don't know how much more I can take of that sort of thing. Unless the Kongs aren't apes, and Godzilla's species takes millions of years to reach maturity, this is nonsense.
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:43 pm
I’m happy it wasn’t in the movie. And certainly the chances that it’s only a toy gimmick are like 95% or higher.
It's really not just a blatant toy gimmick. That thing was one of many things changed in the toy line. There's no significant evidence that suggests it was only a toy gimmick, and considering the amount that was cut from the film (thankfully), it could have been in the plans at the very least.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:52 pm
Showzilla wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:02 pm So yeah, peeps on YouTube found out about the whole "Godzilla was gassing even before he fought kong"

And the cope is strong

When both jia and Godzilla state "lol, the monkeys got chased out by Godzilla's granpappy"

Apparently, from several people have said, a bunch of Kong's drove Godzilla himself off back when he was an adolescent.

Late reply, but...
That doesn't make sense, though. Godzilla would've been much older than an adolescent age by the time the Kong species came around. If it's true, they're just changing what's established as they go along and coming up with nonsense. I don't know how much more I can take of that sort of thing. Unless the Kongs aren't apes, and Godzilla's species takes millions of years to reach maturity, this is nonsense.
I’m happy it wasn’t in the movie. And certainly the chances that it’s only a toy gimmick are like 95% or higher.
It's really not just a blatant toy gimmick. That thing was one of many things changed in the toy line. There's no significant evidence that suggests it was only a toy gimmick, and considering the amount that was cut from the film (thankfully), it could have been in the plans at the very least.
*delete*
Last edited by plasmabeam on Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:47 am Image
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/55c33 ... images/000

I don't know where to post this, I'll just let you guys know here, but lol?? Looks like they're greenlighting a MV themed Godzilla ride but they changed Godzilla's head to be more traditional??
Toho, why...? :lol:
That sucks, really. It looks like a downgraded design, overall. It's easy to make this Godzilla design look more "traditional" without taking away everything that makes it unique. The hand looks... honestly kinda bad. Like he's wearing a plated gauntlet or something, unlike the natural archosaurian, crocodilian scales of Legendary's Godzilla. Crazy that people on Twitter are saying it's their favorite all of a sudden? It really doesn't take much to become a "favorite design" these days with some people. All it seems to take is being new, regardless of how sloppy a design may be.
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:23 pm I may ask my friend at Scanline.
I'd really like to find out the truth behind "Mega Godzilla," and what the "Anatomech Armor" was. And if it was in the plans for the movie, I'd like to know the individuals even suggested, wrote, and approved it, and figure out why they were allowed to work on this movie. :lol:

There's concept art of Kong in massive chains in an even more artificial enclosure. The whole environment is simulated. There's Ghidorah skull concept art that's pretty much just a giant dinosaur skull.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

And the cope is strong

Late reply, but...
From what I've gathered

The age established for Godzilla in awakening has been retconned or it was just a theory.

This....makes sense.

Assuming everyone, including Godzilla himself, are telling the truth.

Humanity is only a few hundred thousand years old, civilization is only a few thousand years old. The iwi recorded the initiation of the kong Gojira war, so the war itself must be thousands of years old. Godzilla's ancestors fought in this war, so we can assume a good five or six generations of gap. Even if we use HE predating sumeria theories, that would put godzilla at a couple of thousands of years old, up to ten thousand if we stretch. So you wouldn't have to go back too far to have a whipper snapper of Godzilla.

Dagon him self kind of supports this theory too. He was the big Gojira of the time the Phoenicians, between 1550-300 BC. If Godzilla wasn't an adult by then, he's still a good three thousand years old.

Now, none of these are exact numbers, but yeah, Godzilla's age in awakening was an estimate of scientists who had only recently gotten into him, so them being wrong would make sense.

wasoha
Ronin

Post by wasoha »

obZen wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:31 pm
Dv-218 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:34 pm

lol
He works for MPC FX which was tasked with doing the Hong Kong fight among other scenes — he posted the tidbit about the armor on his social media account a few weeks back, I’ll look for the link...

PM’d.
Hi! Can I get that link too? Very interesting! I don't seem to be able to PM though...
Edit: It must be because while I have been a member for years, I have not posted much yet. Still treated as probationary. Darn.
Last edited by wasoha on Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

plasmabeam wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:39 pm Have you guys seen this? The early concept art for Mechagodzilla:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNYZLc7Afp5
If it had the finalized arms, plates, and tail, it would be perfect.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Showzilla wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:16 pm

And the cope is strong

Late reply, but...

From what I've gathered

The age established for Godzilla in awakening has been retconned or it was just a theory.

This....makes sense.

Humanity is only a few hundred thousand years old, civilization is only a few thousand years old. The iwi recorded the initiation of the kong Gojira war, so the war itself must be thousands of years old. Godzilla's ancestors fought in this war, so we can assume a good five or six generations of gap. Even if we use HE predating sumeria theories, that would put godzilla at a couple of thousands of years old, up to ten thousand if we stretch. So you wouldn't have to go back too far to have a whipper snapper of Godzilla.

Dagon him self kind of supports this theory too. He was the big Gojira of the time the Phoenicians, between 1550-300 BC. If Godzilla wasn't an adult by then, he's still a good three thousand years old.

Now, none of these are exact numbers, but yeah, Godzilla's age in awakening was an estimate of scientists who had only recently gotten into him, so them being wrong would make sense.
Spoiler:
Dominion seems to suggest that Godzilla is younger than previously thought. There's a line in which Godzilla reminisces how the world has changed since he was born, and human civilization seems to have been around even when he was young.

The 'Gojira originating from the Permian' stuff in Awakening is pretty ambiguous, but it may have been talking about the Gojira species as a whole, not our protagonist "Godzilla" individual himself. It's pretty ambiguous the way it's depicted, and they never really make a distinction between the Gojira species and "Godzilla" as an individual.

Or maybe human civilization was much older than we though in the Monsterverse. The series isn't much for scientific accuracy, so that's also possible. Great apes appeared around 17 million years ago, and the Kong species may be that old. If Godzilla had an encounter with an early member of the Kong species when he was young, that would still make him pretty old.

And it's also possible that the Gojira species DOES take millions of years to mature, it's already proven that they have incredibly long lifespans so it's possible. I'd imagine that the Gojira species is much longer-lived and takes a longer time to mature, when compared to Kongs. Like big cats and crocodiles in real life. Big cats have an average lifespan of 10~15 years in the wild, while large crocodiles live up to a hundred years and take 15~16 years just to mature.

Or it's also possible that Godzilla was already an adult by then, just smaller. In real life, reptiles keep growing even after they mature, and the size difference between an aged, seasoned individual and a young, freshly-matured individual is huge. Again, take crocodiles for example. Male Saltwater Crocodiles average around 10~11 feet and weigh less than 200 kilograms when they mature. But older males may grow double, or triple that size, and even older males are 5~6 times bigger. Naturally, the older males are a lot more powerful than younger ones and they become the dominant alphas in their territory; younger males are forced out. The same thing may be applied to Godzilla.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Vandarker wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:06 pm
Late reply, but...

From what I've gathered

This....makes sense.

Spoiler:
Dominion seems to suggest that Godzilla is younger than previously thought. There's a line in which Godzilla reminisces how the world has changed since he was born, and human civilization seems to have been around even when he was young.

The 'Gojira originating from the Permian' stuff in Awakening is pretty ambiguous
Just putting this out here: The KOTM novelization basically implies the Permian theory is defunct and outdated. Basically early on as Mark is entering Castle Bravo they go over all the monster body parts held there(MUTOs and Margygr)and their background, and mention that the "mainstream" theory is that they were around during the permian but went under the sea after radiation levels dropped (What is stated in G14), but that a "crackpot theory" holds that they originated in the hollow earth. Of course seeing as the HE theory is proven later in KOTM and to an even further extent in GvK (I think Lind is considered a nutjob because he posits the ENTIRE earth is hollow as opposed to large caverns in the crust) this may lend credence to the idea that the permian theory was incorrect.

Added in 36 seconds:

And the cope is strong

Late reply, but...

From what I've gathered

This....makes sense.

See above
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:52 pm Late reply, but...
From what I've gathered

This....makes sense.

They can't just keep retconning and disregarding everything as they go along, though. Even if it's presented as a theory in Awakening, nearly everything written since 2019 has consistently discarded or dismissed what was written prior. There's very little acknowledgement of anything like Shinomura or Godzilla's first appearance in 1945, seen by Serizawa's father. No mention of the Permian period. It just feels all wrong to me now. I've been disappointed in the weird direction this series went in (impossibly large ancient cities; human structures built at monstrous size; monster stairs; crazy technological change; the Hollow Earth being the planet's core; the Hollow Earth being entered through vortexes like it's some other dimension; monsters actually regarding Godzilla as "king" instead of it being a figurative thing; giant spiked lemurs; Godzilla's energy source coming from the Hollow Earth apparently), but it doesn’t get any easier. I prefer the way he was presented in Awakening and 2014.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Until the movies say directly he is still 250m years old Awakening is his origin. Godzilla saying opened his eyes us describing how much he has seen not necessarily what his first sights were.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

obZen wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:09 pm Dude, there’s a guy who literally worked on the movie VFX who has since stated there were partially-finished sequences with Godzilla in the armor.
If you believe that trite, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:03 pm Until the movies say directly he isn't 250m years old Awakening is his origin. Godzilla saying opened his eyes us describing how much he has seen not necessarily what his first sights were.
Like the post above said, it could have been retconned.

And Awakening never makes a distinction between the "Gojira" species and Godzilla as an individual. All we can infer from the passage is that the species existed since the Permian (which may or may not be true at this point, since the novelization for KOTM and GvK seems to suggest otherwise), but we don't know if our particular Godzilla individual is that old.

I'm leaning towards the opinion that he isn't. Context-wise, those panels from Dominion seem to be portraying the world as Godzilla remembers it from when he was very young. He's talking about how the world has changed since he opened his eyes and felt the sea for the first time, how the land itself has moved, how the seas have changed and how places that once burned are now cold, and the panels show exactly that. It's more natural to think that the panels line up with the dialogue, showing the world as it was when Godzilla "opened his eyes", rather than portraying some point later in Godzilla's life.
Last edited by Vandarker on Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Don't care what anyone says. Godzilla's 250 million years old dammit!

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Vandarker wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:06 pm
Late reply, but...

From what I've gathered

This....makes sense.

Spoiler:

The 'Gojira originating from the Permian' stuff in Awakening is pretty ambiguous, but it may have been talking about the Gojira species as a whole, not our protagonist "Godzilla" individual himself. It's pretty ambiguous the way it's depicted, and they never really make a distinction between the Gojira species and "Godzilla" as an individual.

Or maybe human civilization was much older than we though in the Monsterverse. The series isn't much for scientific accuracy, so that's also possible. Great apes appeared around 17 million years ago, and the Kong species may be that old. If Godzilla had an encounter with an early member of the Kong species when he was young, that would still make him pretty old.

And it's also possible that the Gojira species DOES take millions of years to mature, it's already proven that they have incredibly long lifespans so it's possible. I'd imagine that the Gojira species is much longer-lived and takes a longer time to mature, when compared to Kongs. Like big cats and crocodiles in real life. Big cats have an average lifespan of 10~15 years in the wild, while large crocodiles live up to a hundred years and take 15~16 years just to mature.

Or it's also possible that Godzilla was already an adult by then, just smaller. In real life, reptiles keep growing even after they mature, and the size difference between an aged, seasoned individual and a young, freshly-matured individual is huge. Again, take crocodiles for example. Male Saltwater Crocodiles average around 10~11 feet and weigh less than 200 kilograms when they mature. But older males may grow double, or triple that size, and even older males are 5~6 times bigger. Naturally, the older males are a lot more powerful than younger ones and they become the dominant alphas in their territory; younger males are forced out. The same thing may be applied to Godzilla.
I like how you stated then growing at the end and it stands that we need to clarify the word "mature"

Mature=/=fully grown
Mature=sexually developed

It means, animals have grown and developed their reproductive system into working order, even if their bodies are no where finished growing

So Godzilla could be old enough to lay pipe and bring forth a harvest but still not be "fully grown"

Added in 4 minutes 18 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:03 pm Until the movies say directly he isn't 250m years old Awakening is his origin. Godzilla saying opened his eyes us describing how much he has seen not necessarily what his first sights were.
Tbf, no movie said he was 250m years old.

The only thing the movies said about his age was that his ancestors fought in a war that happened recently enough that a 200,000 year old species were recording it roughly 3,500 years ago. I'm taking a bet Godzilla and Jesus might have matching birth dates.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:35 am Image

Turn out there concept art of the deleted mothra egg scene, I would love it if they showed it in the post credits
Forgive me if this was already discussed earlier (I can't keep up with these threads, they grow a mile a minute), but do we know if this scene was ever filmed? I know it was originally the post-credits scene of KOTM before being scrapped, then I heard it was attached to GvK (not sure if that's true - can anyone confirm/deny?). If its true it was attached to both movies, it must be fairly important.

Either way, it sounds like, at least at one point, they had more plans for Mothra. Should the Monsterverse continue, I hope that means we can expect some variation of this scene to pop up somewhere along the way, which is great because Mothra got the short end of the stick in that movie. It also seems to indicate some supernatural/magic elements, which Mothra could use. Didn't mind the approach they took in KOTM, but I'll always prefer a more spiritual Mothra.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:07 pm
obZen wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:09 pm Dude, there’s a guy who literally worked on the movie VFX who has since stated there were partially-finished sequences with Godzilla in the armor.
If you believe that trite, I've got a bridge to sell you.
You’re adorable.