Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LindenHS
Monarch Researcher

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by LindenHS »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:06 pm Oh just glanced at trivia notes for Godzilla vs Kong digital and saw that among scenes that were cut was one of Jonah and several of his men being killed by Apex soldiers to get at the Ghidorah head. Hm which counts are more canon then? The novelization or deleted scene? Also it sounded like a scene that had Serisawa senior in it was cut.
That on the Blu-ray? Just got mine today.
Novel had Jonah and Simmons making a deal on it

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh yeah I know about that. No I saw that in the 'trivia' tab for the digital at Amazon.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

That really contradicts everything we know about. I purchased digital version from another website and haven't seen anything like that. Could you please post a screenshot or a link about that?

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Speaking of contradicting

Why are so many on those sub Reddit praising the art book as something Adam Wingard contradicts when the book itself is filled with snippets from single writers from the team and in and if itself contradicts what we see in both the novel AND the film?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Last edited by daveblackeye15 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:09 am Here's a few.
https://i.imgur.com/yHa3CVJ.png
An incredible waste of the characters of Alan Jonah and Ren Serizawa...

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:09 am Here's a few.
https://i.imgur.com/yHa3CVJ.png
That's really strange.... I can't find that part from any featurettes or commentary of the digital realease I own. Is that scene Amazon exclusive? Are you able to actually watch that scene? Hear Wingard saying that? Or is it there just for the literal description? You know, no one has ever said anything like this. I think you're the first person to find this part.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

It's just in the side-bar for trivia. I dunno about commentary.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Its from IMDB which allows people to add trivia and that last one is absolute bullshit as Charles Dance had repeatedly said he was not returning for GVK. It also mentioning Ken Watanabe coming back for flashback scenes is also horseshit as well.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh okay good. It means Jonah can come back and properly die in a movie rather than off-screen.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

God damn, that final fight against MechaG is still so god damn dumb and incredibly disrespectful to Godzilla. Have Godzilla be a complete b*tch and never get any sort of redemption or offense at all. And Godzilla fans actually like this? Like, I'm actually fine with having MechaG beat the hell out of Godzilla and then having Kong save him - totally fine. But then Jesus Christ, let Godzilla actually do something offensive. Have the fight be a little longer and at the VERY least choreograph it in a way that Godzilla comes back a little bit, MechaG puts him down again...then Kong destroys him. But no, Godzilla just turns into a pathetic...nothing. It's entirely about sucking off Kong. And in case you weren't aware, they spent the entire movie sucking off Kong, like god damn. They even bastardized Godzilla's character in the franchise for the sake of Kong to intentionally design this movie to get most people to cheer for a dumb monkey - which is baffling to set it up that way. On one hand you have a monster that literally saved the world not once but twice and was shown to have an ancient relationship with humanity. And on the other, you have an isolated monkey. But sure, make the monkey the hero. Absolute trash.

Kaijucifer
G-Grasper

Post by Kaijucifer »

Moogabunga wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:09 pm God damn, that final fight against MechaG is still so god damn dumb and incredibly disrespectful to Godzilla. Have Godzilla be a complete b*tch and never get any sort of redemption or offense at all. And Godzilla fans actually like this? Like, I'm actually fine with having MechaG beat the hell out of Godzilla and then having Kong save him - totally fine. But then Jesus Christ, let Godzilla actually do something offensive. Have the fight be a little longer and at the VERY least choreograph it in a way that Godzilla comes back a little bit, MechaG puts him down again...then Kong destroys him. But no, Godzilla just turns into a pathetic...nothing. It's entirely about sucking off Kong. And in case you weren't aware, they spent the entire movie sucking off Kong, like god damn. They even bastardized Godzilla's character in the franchise for the sake of Kong to intentionally design this movie to get most people to cheer for a dumb monkey - which is baffling to set it up that way. On one hand you have a monster that literally saved the world not once but twice and was shown to have an ancient relationship with humanity. And on the other, you have an isolated monkey. But sure, make the monkey the hero. Absolute trash.
I would expect a mechanical doppelganger that has assloads of battle data on Godzilla to be able to effectively counter him at every turn. This was exacerbated by Godzilla quote literally blowing his entire energy bar on toying with Kong in the first half of Hong Kong. Godzilla was struggling heavily against Mechagodzilla because he was at half power. Godzilla did the best he possibly could do against a Supercharged Angry Ghidorah controlled Robot version of himself after fighting that battle in HK. Godzilla was not pathetic. He just wasn't in top shape to be able to handle MG. Godzilla's character is unchanged. He's been swimming around angrily for years because of Apex, it reached a boiling point and he attacked their facility (Dominion confirms he knew about it and that he doesn't stand for direct attacks on him, which makes sense since he's now the King and will answer all challenges). Both are heroes, Godzilla just was playing bad cop.
"The day of the Crystal King will arrive like a hunter in the night. The King has been burdened by the sins of many...and the greatest of sinners deny his love."
DISCLAIMER: I am neurodivergent (high functioning autism). What I say may not be meant in the negative way it may seem to neurotypicals.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

After months of digestion I can definitely say with confidence that, in my opinion, KotM is a better overall film than GvK. GvK has the better fights, but KotM has the better human interaction and soundtrack as just a few examples.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Cookson wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:30 pm After months of digestion I can definitely say with confidence that, in my opinion, KotM is a better overall film than GvK. GvK has the better fights, but KotM has the better human interaction and soundtrack as just a few examples.
I love GvK, but I'd have to agree with your assessment.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Moogabunga wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:09 pm God damn, that final fight against MechaG is still so god damn dumb and incredibly disrespectful to Godzilla. Have Godzilla be a complete b*tch and never get any sort of redemption or offense at all. And Godzilla fans actually like this? Like, I'm actually fine with having MechaG beat the hell out of Godzilla and then having Kong save him - totally fine. But then Jesus Christ, let Godzilla actually do something offensive. Have the fight be a little longer and at the VERY least choreograph it in a way that Godzilla comes back a little bit, MechaG puts him down again...then Kong destroys him. But no, Godzilla just turns into a pathetic...nothing. It's entirely about sucking off Kong. And in case you weren't aware, they spent the entire movie sucking off Kong, like god damn. They even bastardized Godzilla's character in the franchise for the sake of Kong to intentionally design this movie to get most people to cheer for a dumb monkey - which is baffling to set it up that way. On one hand you have a monster that literally saved the world not once but twice and was shown to have an ancient relationship with humanity. And on the other, you have an isolated monkey. But sure, make the monkey the hero. Absolute trash.
While I don't hate those things anywhere near as much as you do I do kinda agree with you. I loved GvK but I do feel that the did some things at Godzilla's expense to prop up Kong because he is the general audience favorite.

Kaijucifer
G-Grasper

Post by Kaijucifer »

Nothing was done at Godzilla's expense. All is addressed in my reply to Mooga. Smooth sailing.
"The day of the Crystal King will arrive like a hunter in the night. The King has been burdened by the sins of many...and the greatest of sinners deny his love."
DISCLAIMER: I am neurodivergent (high functioning autism). What I say may not be meant in the negative way it may seem to neurotypicals.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla was always painted in the positive light on the Monsterverse. Godzilla vs Kong shows him from the other side.

Same monster but different side looking at him. People in Hawaii for example might have saw Godzilla the way this movie did.

However this is the old the hero is framed so another hero can fight him but in the end he was right trope.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Lol Adam said kong admitted Godzilla was boss at the end
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:38 pm Lol Adam said kong admitted Godzilla was boss at the end
He also said Kong didn’t bow, he respects Godzilla, and “ultimately he did save his life.”

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

^ the only reason I want to see the Monsterverse continue is to see a proper Godzilla/Kong team up. I think my least favorite part of the monster stuff was how unsatisfying the "team up" against Mechagodzilla was. If this is your potential last shot, give us a little extra 5 minutes of Godzilla and Kong tag-teaming that robot bastard!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.