Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Cookson wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:30 pm After months of digestion I can definitely say with confidence that, in my opinion, KotM is a better overall film than GvK. GvK has the better fights, but KotM has the better human interaction and soundtrack as just a few examples.
Despite my severe disappointment with KOTM I will agree that KOTM has better characters especially Kyle Chandler who's performance I enjoyed can't really understand how people thought he was underdeveloped compared to Ford Brady(I like Ford) and monster interactions with people was top notch nothing has still surpassed Rodan's scene but for some reason I think GvK is still the better movie or all least I got more enjoyment out of it due to being more monster focused so I would say that if it wasn't for the fact that I was so disappointed in KOTM I probably would've though that GvK was a downgrade. I think MV needs fresh new writers.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

Moogabunga wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:09 pm God damn, that final fight against MechaG is still so god damn dumb and incredibly disrespectful to Godzilla. Have Godzilla be a complete b*tch and never get any sort of redemption or offense at all. And Godzilla fans actually like this? Like, I'm actually fine with having MechaG beat the hell out of Godzilla and then having Kong save him - totally fine. But then Jesus Christ, let Godzilla actually do something offensive. Have the fight be a little longer and at the VERY least choreograph it in a way that Godzilla comes back a little bit, MechaG puts him down again...then Kong destroys him. But no, Godzilla just turns into a pathetic...nothing. It's entirely about sucking off Kong. And in case you weren't aware, they spent the entire movie sucking off Kong, like god damn. They even bastardized Godzilla's character in the franchise for the sake of Kong to intentionally design this movie to get most people to cheer for a dumb monkey - which is baffling to set it up that way. On one hand you have a monster that literally saved the world not once but twice and was shown to have an ancient relationship with humanity. And on the other, you have an isolated monkey. But sure, make the monkey the hero. Absolute trash.
Yeah I agree with you. I hated this movie and everything about it. Ok maybe not everything about it. But definitely a lot. Despite the title hinting otherwise this felt like more of a Kong movie. Which is fine, that's not what I dislike about it or anything, but Godzilla for most of the movie was just very poorly done in my opinion. The sudden 180 of his character. Why he doesn't just kill Kong when that is how he handled Ghidorah and the MUTOs.

All of the cool stuff that KotM did get right like ancient civilizations and other titans were almost completely ignored. Hell the cool stuff that was in GvK also got ignored for the most part. Like Godzilla and Kong's ancient war. How come more was not discussed on that? Sounds pretty important don't you think?

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Post by KaijuKingGojira »

Lesko wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:23 pm
Moogabunga wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:09 pm God damn, that final fight against MechaG is still so god damn dumb and incredibly disrespectful to Godzilla. Have Godzilla be a complete b*tch and never get any sort of redemption or offense at all. And Godzilla fans actually like this? Like, I'm actually fine with having MechaG beat the hell out of Godzilla and then having Kong save him - totally fine. But then Jesus Christ, let Godzilla actually do something offensive. Have the fight be a little longer and at the VERY least choreograph it in a way that Godzilla comes back a little bit, MechaG puts him down again...then Kong destroys him. But no, Godzilla just turns into a pathetic...nothing. It's entirely about sucking off Kong. And in case you weren't aware, they spent the entire movie sucking off Kong, like god damn. They even bastardized Godzilla's character in the franchise for the sake of Kong to intentionally design this movie to get most people to cheer for a dumb monkey - which is baffling to set it up that way. On one hand you have a monster that literally saved the world not once but twice and was shown to have an ancient relationship with humanity. And on the other, you have an isolated monkey. But sure, make the monkey the hero. Absolute trash.
Yeah I agree with you. I hated this movie and everything about it. Ok maybe not everything about it. But definitely a lot. Despite the title hinting otherwise this felt like more of a Kong movie. Which is fine, that's not what I dislike about it or anything, but Godzilla for most of the movie was just very poorly done in my opinion. The sudden 180 of his character. Why he doesn't just kill Kong when that is how he handled Ghidorah and the MUTOs.

All of the cool stuff that KotM did get right like ancient civilizations and other titans were almost completely ignored. Hell the cool stuff that was in GvK also got ignored for the most part. Like Godzilla and Kong's ancient war. How come more was not discussed on that? Sounds pretty important don't you think?
You do realise his “180 degree character turn” was explained don’t you? Also, he didn’t kill king like he did with king G and Muto’s because they were an actually threat to him- one was a rival Alpha and the others were parasites that preyed on Godzilla’s. Kong was an “inferior” titan that he essentially wanted to get to submit or just get out of his way, he wasn’t threatened by him so… he essentially bullied him for not knowing his place.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

GvK and KOTM I like for different reasons. I think GvK absolutely nails the action and makes it feel impactful. Plus the memorable scenes in each fight are top notch. But as an overall movie? I feel KOTM is superior. There was more mythos and lore that felt very interestingly laid out, and the soundtrack, the monsters, and the overall story feels more well rounded.

That’s not to say GvK is bad in my eyes? I still had tons of fun with it, and it’s my second fave of the Monsterverse. I just think that if we’re talking about experiences, KOTM I feel felt more complete.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

GvK would have benefited with another 15-30 minutes to really tell a story. Like can we just get a film that tells a good story but also with great monster action? A combination of G14 and GvK is what they need to aim for.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

^Agree on that K:SI had a great balance between the human storyline and monster action but I still think a majority of the MV problems will be solved by getting new fresh writers and lean away from Max Borenstein and especially Mike Dougherty and Zach Shields.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:29 am ^Agree on that K:SI had a great balance between the human storyline and monster action but I still think a majority of the MV problems will be solved by getting new fresh writers and lean away from Max Borenstein and especially Mike Dougherty and Zach Shields.
I've enjoyed all of the MV films, but I agree.

Fresh new writers for the next batch of movies is the way to go. Maybe keep Mike on for fleshing out the mythology of the world, but otherwise keep Dougherty & Borenstein out of the writers room.
Last edited by dillonking55 on Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

One thing forgotten from the original synopsis of GvK was how they would discover the origin of the titans, which we still really don’t have an idea of

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Too be fair that was before KOTM disappointed alot of people with it's over reliance on the human storyline so they basically had to cut alot of exposition out which you can make an argument that it hurt Godzilla vs Kong in the long run but again most of the problems with the MonsterVerse will be solved if the hire new writers.

Added in 7 minutes 34 seconds:
dillonking55 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:36 am
DynomikeGojira wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:29 am ^Agree on that K:SI had a great balance between the human storyline and monster action but I still think a majority of the MV problems will be solved by getting new fresh writers and lean away from Max Borenstein and especially Mike Dougherty and Zach Shields.
I've enjoyed all of the MV films, but I agree.

Fresh new writers for the next batch of movies is the way to go. Maybe keep Mike on for fleshing out the mythology of the world, but otherwise keep Dougherty & Borenstein out of the writers room.
I'm admittedly mixed on Mike Dougherty and I'm more open to him directing again if he limits his involvement in the actual writing besides going into the lore, the mythology and most importantly the personalities of the various Titans which I'll say he did a great job to me in what think is an overwise disappointing film. As far as the possibility of who I think should be the next writers I'd say get some people that normal don't do genre that can write compelling human drama and leave the monsters for Mike Dougherty or get someone like Frank Darabont that can do both seamlessly like he did with The Mist.(Great Film)

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

This just came out today :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEEJVld ... dHaveEnded
Spoiler:
It's kind of a shame they didn't find a way to incorporate a Thor Stormbreaker joke.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

KaijuKingGojira wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:00 pm

You do realise his “180 degree character turn” was explained don’t you? Also, he didn’t kill king like he did with king G and Muto’s because they were an actually threat to him- one was a rival Alpha and the others were parasites that preyed on Godzilla’s. Kong was an “inferior” titan that he essentially wanted to get to submit or just get out of his way, he wasn’t threatened by him so… he essentially bullied him for not knowing his place.
This is what I am talking about actually. If Kong was never a threat, then what about the war that the movie only mentioned in one line about the species? It isn't really a war if one side is not a threat at all. So either Kong's species wasn't a threat to Godzilla's, which makes the war between the two pointless, or they were a threat, but Godzilla was acting out of uncharacteristically against Kong despite Kong being a threat. Not sure if we are including novels out of the canon but I am pretty sure Godzilla was beaten by a member of Kong's species in a flashback sequence since the latter plot hole seems more likely. I am getting ahead of myself though, so my question is, which one is it supposed to be? The MV isn't rock solid on plot and I understand that but GvK has far more plot holes than any other entry by a long shot. Even KotM.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Monke wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:38 am One thing forgotten from the original synopsis of GvK was how they would discover the origin of the titans, which we still really don’t have an idea of
It's the hollow earth center energy source, that's why they use Kong to get there, he has an ancestral memory of the "origin place" of all titans
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

In the beginning Godzilla created the titans and the hollow earth... no, wait. Maybe that's not their origin.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Lesko wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:42 pm
KaijuKingGojira wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:00 pm

This is what I am talking about actually. If Kong was never a threat, then what about the war that the movie only mentioned in one line about the species? It isn't really a war if one side is not a threat at all. So either Kong's species wasn't a threat to Godzilla's, which makes the war between the two pointless, or they were a threat, but Godzilla was acting out of uncharacteristically against Kong despite Kong being a threat. Not sure if we are including novels out of the canon but I am pretty sure Godzilla was beaten by a member of Kong's species in a flashback sequence since the latter plot hole seems more likely. I am getting ahead of myself though, so my question is, which one is it supposed to be? The MV isn't rock solid on plot and I understand that but GvK has far more plot holes than any other entry by a long shot. Even KotM.
Godzilla has become a super member of his species. His species never had modern nuclear energy to feed off, never survived a fight with Muto Prime, never met Ghidorah and never fused with Mothra. Imagine you as a kid hear about a group of people that wiped out a large portion of your family. You then start training and fighting and now you are far and beyond stronger than your family that died. You then meet the last member of this group that has given you problems and now you're King. You give him a choice to bow down to you like all the others in your kingdom and instead he decided he won't bow. This in addition to you sensing your other great rival that you thought you killed and had taken over other Titans before in an effort to kill you.

This is what Godzilla is going through in GvK.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

I'd say 1v1, Kong's are no threat to adult Gojiras.....but wars are not simply grown men lining up and going 1v1 with each other, now are they?

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

Reading over the novel and other Monsterverse sources, is it possible that Godzilla was the only gojira that could use the atomic breath? “The one that swallowed the star” is clearly describing a Godzilla (or THE Godzilla) melding with the hollow earth energy source right?

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Monke wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:24 am Reading over the novel and other Monsterverse sources, is it possible that Godzilla was the only gojira that could use the atomic breath? “The one that swallowed the star” is clearly describing a Godzilla (or THE Godzilla) melding with the hollow earth energy source right?
no, Greg has stated that that isn't meant to be taken literally and ,iirc, says Godzilla was too young to have fought in the war.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla is simply Goku now. His species on average were about as strong as the 2014 Godzilla and if you go by Dagon they were weaker than even that.

Him in 2021 is magnitudes stronger than his family.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Godzilla2020
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzilla2020 »

Lol, that guy feels the need to lie just to cope.

They always bring up the 1962 film as if Kong wasn't the underdog there too.

"Godzilla is roasting King Kong." Literally a quote from the movie.