Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Dv-218
Futurian

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Dv-218 »

Yeah, I must be missing something but I legit don't see anything wrong with how the CGI looks in the clip in question. Just strikes me as his neck being bulkier overall which doesn't necessarily bother me. Same with the "warped up spines" thing, I'm genuinely not seeing any issue here animation wise. Kinda looks more like an illusion created by the glow lines since everything else is dark. As a whole I actually thought Godzilla had among the best effect scenes in the film, not as much as Kong but he did get portrayed impressively.

I do agree regarding Kong not breaking the building when he got flunged into yet, that immediately stood out to me in the first viewing. Definitely an unintentionally awkward moment.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:33 am Upon charge up in 2014 it was much easier to get him in his reared back bear pose for the atomic breath because his spines weren't huge. Now they are, so they have to angle the spines in a way that lets him get into that pose easily.

I also do not see anything wrong at 2:22 in that video.

Oh and they most certainly know how to pose the big man lol.

Well they're not angled there. They're compressed, shrunken, narrower. They stretch back to their usual size afterwards, and it's noticeable. If you're saying that as a solution to this, I agree. They should sort of slide past each other, I'd say.

If you don't see that last part, I'm not if you will see anything wrong at 2:22 or even 2:24, but the dorsal plates on his neck are indeed spaced widely apart, unusually. That gap never existed before. Take a screenshot, and compare the image from 2014 with it. There's a big difference.
Dv-218 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:52 am Yeah, I must be missing something but I legit don't see anything wrong with how the CGI looks in the clip in question. Just strikes me as his neck being bulkier overall which doesn't necessarily bother me. Same with the "warped up spines" thing, I'm genuinely not seeing any issue here animation wise. Kinda looks more like an illusion created by the glow lines since everything else is dark.
You don't see the gaps there in the Tasman Sea shot?
Did you also miss it in this shot? Look at his neck at 0:05. https://youtu.be/P1zslOvuK1Y

I cannot be the only one who sees these things.

And that's not an illusion caused by the glow by any means. They're far narrower in that shot. They stretch in strange ways, sort of as if they aren't bony and rigid. There looks to be a lack of rigidity mapping. Watch this clip, slow it down to 0.25x, take it frame by frame if needed. I saw it immediately, but I knew it would be harder to show others. It sort of threw me off when I first saw the scene. This happens at other points in the fight, not just here. It's seen in the beginning, and when Kong is on Godzilla’s back.
https://youtu.be/lmWqrHRe7Io
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

UndineUndying
Ronin

Post by UndineUndying »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:10 pm
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:58 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:46 pm Da Kings killed all the other titans off-screen
Doubt it'll change your opinion on the movie but
Spoiler:
Dominion reveals Godzilla ordered all the titans to go back into hibernation upon sensing King Ghidorah's presence (Mechagodzilla) so they wouldn't fall under his spell again.

One could presume the titans were listed as "Defeated" due to Godzilla's rampage and so MONARCH and the public assumed he killed them.
That said, hopefully we get an extended cut, one that's at least 2 or 2 hours and 10-15 minutes. Enough to fill in some missing gaps.
Nah, doesn't help. That actually makes it worse, even, considering Ghidorah was what woke them from hibernation to begin with. Just a lazy bullshit excuse to cover a lame decision by the writers.
I said before that KOTM might as well have never happened as far as GVK is concerned. There is no connective tissue in this film with regards to the consequences that film dropped into the universe by its climax (and then tried to erase in the credits).
Thegarbagemonster wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:37 pm
obZen wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:17 pm Honestly, on a multitude of levels— I think it was genius of Wingard to use Hong Kong as the setting for the final sequence.
why?
Honestly, it just seemed to me like they were cribbing off of Pacific Rim. Speaking of which...
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:02 pm Some solid points here.
Browntable more or less summed up my sentiments on the film (sans the team hashtag nonsense), especially in regard to how Uprising-esque the film felt. (Legendary accidentally illustrating they'll never make anything as effective as del Toro's PacRim will never not be funny to me. It has become the bar of reference for size, scale, and tonal delivery.)

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:58 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:33 am Upon charge up in 2014 it was much easier to get him in his reared back bear pose for the atomic breath because his spines weren't huge. Now they are, so they have to angle the spines in a way that lets him get into that pose easily.

I also do not see anything wrong at 2:22 in that video.

Oh and they most certainly know how to pose the big man lol.

Well they're not angled there. They're compressed, shrunken, narrower. They stretch back to their usual size afterwards, and it's noticeable. If you're saying that as a solution to this, I agree. They should sort of slide past each other, I'd say.

If you don't see that last part, I'm not if you will see anything wrong at 2:22 or even 2:24, but the dorsal plates on his neck are indeed spaced widely apart, unusually. That gap never existed before. Take a screenshot, and compare the image from 2014 with it. There's a big difference.
Dv-218 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:52 am Yeah, I must be missing something but I legit don't see anything wrong with how the CGI looks in the clip in question. Just strikes me as his neck being bulkier overall which doesn't necessarily bother me. Same with the "warped up spines" thing, I'm genuinely not seeing any issue here animation wise. Kinda looks more like an illusion created by the glow lines since everything else is dark.
You don't see the gaps there in the Tasman Sea shot?
Did you also miss it in this shot? Look at his neck at 0:05. https://youtu.be/P1zslOvuK1Y

And that's not an illusion caused by the glow by any means. They're far narrower in that shot. They stretch in strange ways, sort of as if they aren't bony and rigid. There looks to be a lack of rigidity mapping. Watch this clip, slow it down to 0.25x, take it frame by frame if needed. I saw it immediately, but I knew it would be harder to show others. It sort of threw me off when I first saw the scene. This happens at other points in the fight, not just here. It's seen in the beginning, and when Kong is on Godzilla’s back.
The gaps between the spines on his neck? Idk man, they do seem a bit wide in this shot but I just shrugged it off as perspective at play- because again, it seems more or less similar to how they are spaced out in other shots due to how thick his neck is. Not really witnessing any glaring issue with the rigging in them.
Regarding the axe handle scene...admittingly now I can see what you mean with the spines stretching in an awkward fashion due to his pose, but I only managed to get a good look at it slowed down, and even then it didn't look this prominent to me to the point of breaking the animation. Not trying to discredit your point or anything, I just genuinely can't say I share this problen
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Welp looks like Foetodon aka "Doug" was meant to be a complete Godzilla subspecies/cousin and look a ton more like Godzilla at least according to this concept art from the artbook (not posting the image itself here in case it's considered a "leak" I guess)

https://imgur.com/a/yR8qKJj
Last edited by Hokmuto on Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The King

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Hokmuto wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:45 pm Welp looks like Foetodon aka "Doug" was meant to be a complete Godzilla subspecies/cousin and look a ton more like Godzilla at least according to this concept art from the artbook (not posting the image itself here in case it's considered a "leak" I guess)

https://imgur.com/a/yR8qKJj
That's interesting, I'm glad they toned the design down though. I gotta say, I wish there was a little bit more exploration of the Hollow Earth, I wanted to see more fauna dammit! Flora too! Flora and fauna!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

The arachnids in the Hollow Earth are now being rumored to be early crustacean forms of Desotroyah.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:18 pm The arachnids in the Hollow Earth are now being rumored to be early crustacean forms of Desotroyah.
Don’t even start with this bullshit, Jeff. Those are very obviously not Destoroyah related :lol:
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Dv-218 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:46 pm
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:58 am You don't see the gaps there in the Tasman Sea shot?

The gaps between the spines on his neck? Idk man, they do seem a bit wide in this shot but I just shrugged it off as perspective at play- because again, it seems more or less similar to how they are spaced out in other shots due to how thick his neck is. Not really witnessing any glaring issue with the rigging in them.
Regarding the axe handle scene...admittingly now I can see what you mean with the spines stretching in an awkward fashion due to his pose, but I only managed to get a good look at it slowed down, and even then it didn't look this prominent to me to the point of breaking the animation. Not trying to discredit your point or anything, I just genuinely can't say I share this problen
Those gaps don't have much to do with him having a thicker neck or perspective. That type of thing never happens in GKOTM with the same design, and his neck isn't actually much thicker, and it was already thick before the change. Here, his head is smaller, which gives that illusion of a bulkier body. His head is tiny in that shot too. Compare that shot to these from 2014.
Image Image
All it takes is looking wrong, and especially when compared to previous material of the same character/creature, to stand out as an oddity in my opinion. It doesn't look as refined or nice as in 2014. I saw this one immediately on my first viewing.

All it needs to do is look awkward for a second, just a few times even, to be of a lower level than the previous movies. The dorsal plates stretching contributes to the off, bouncy, rubbery look of the animation that I've been talking about. It breaks the idea that Godzilla is a solid, rough creature, making his motion look cartoony. It's not so much that they distort, but how they do, when, and with the movements made. It's a weaker visual as a whole. I've already mentioned that this happens more than once, and I'm only providing an example of one occurrence. His dorsal plates are bendy when Kong is on his back.

The fact that you see it is the main point. In this, I was reminded that I was just watching CGI monsters fight, a little too often. With all of the aspects I've mentioned so far, not just here. If that makes sense at all. It is not to the same standard as Godzilla 2014 or Kong: Skull Island's climax overall, as beautiful as the rendering may be.
Last edited by MegaEvilSaurus666 on Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

This is too perfect a combination for words:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jchvEi1dTGA&t=6s
Last edited by Leviarex on Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Leviarex wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:26 pm Check this out:

Goddamnit, it can’t play. What is it?
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:27 pm

Check my edited post and you'll see.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Leviarex wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:29 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:27 pm

Check my edited post and you'll see.
Wow. I never knew i needed that in my life until a minute ago lol

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:18 pm The arachnids in the Hollow Earth are now being rumored to be early crustacean forms of Desotroyah.
https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Arachno-claw

Rumor killer.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Leviarex wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:26 pm This is too perfect a combination for words:

That's just awesome. A masterpiece.

You know, it's strange how King Kong vs. Godzilla is one of my favorite Godzilla movies. I got the strangest sense of nostalgia seeing this.

Unrelated, but I have to say, I really enjoyed Godzilla and Kong teaming up. That's probably my favorite part of this movie, and among my favorites in the MonsterVerse so far. It's bizarre that I didn't like seeing them fight as much as I thought I would. I used to say all kinds of things, putting King Kong down as a kid and into my teenage years. Then Skull Island came out, and I actually liked Kong.

So it really is awesome when they team up. The way Godzilla charges the axe is great. I sort of would have liked it if they both tore Mechagodzilla apart, or if Godzilla at least torched the remaining parts. It leaves room to see more of that sort of thing in the future, though.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:24 pm That's just awesome. A masterpiece.

You know, it's strange how King Kong vs. Godzilla is one of my favorite Godzilla movies. I got the strangest sense of nostalgia seeing this.

Unrelated, but I have to say, I really enjoyed Godzilla and Kong teaming up. That's probably my favorite part of this movie, and among my favorites in the MonsterVerse so far. It's bizarre that I didn't like seeing them fight as much as I thought I would. I used to say all kinds of things, putting King Kong down as a kid and into my teenage years. Then Skull Island came out, and I actually liked Kong.

So it really is awesome when they team up. The way Godzilla charges the axe is great. I sort of would have liked it if they both tore Mechagodzilla apart, or if Godzilla at least torched the remaining parts. It leaves room to see more of that sort of thing in the future, though.
GASP!

MegaEvilSaurus...saying something positive about Godzilla vs Kong??? Nay, MGS saying something positive, period!?!? Pinch me, I must be dreaming! :lol:
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:24 pm
Leviarex wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:26 pm This is too perfect a combination for words:

That's just awesome. A masterpiece.

Took the words out of my mouth. Honestly it was the aspect of the film I was th most hyped to see- granted, I always loved th idea of a rematch and I'm pleased we got it (with a definitive victor no less!) but the idea of them joining forces always allured me even more- and I'm glad it was done in such a manner. I mean, two of the most iconic movie monsters joining forces? Sign me up lol.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:13 pm GASP!

MegaEvilSaurus...saying something positive about Godzilla vs Kong??? Nay, MGS saying something positive, period!?!? Pinch me, I must be dreaming!
I'm usually replying to something and explaining an issue I have with something. I understand that you're joking, but I do feel bad that some of my comments certainly seem negative. I have said nice things about this movie, though. It's not the best MonsterVerse movie in my opinion, but it's better than GKOTM. My feelings are mixed, honestly. I enjoyed the fun aspects of it, and how it didn't straight up mock itself or anything. It's just that I feel like it could have been a bit neater, and better planned out. Less is more sometimes. I'd like to see future movies without the flaws of this one. I'm... fine, with the general tone of it, despite how different it is. I didn't hate any of the characters, but Ren Serizawa was a disappointment. I'd like to see Kong, Jia, and Ilene Andrews interact more. Bernie was pretty decent. Josh was kinda funny. Madison had a bit more independence, but she's sort of there, and so is Mark. It's some of the creative decisions, that plot, and weird writing that just bother me. I'm confused with the music choices like "Over the Mountain" and "The Air That I Breathe." No more, please. The opening was pretty much Shrek. The technologies make it feel like the MonsterVerse will burn out really fast. What won't they be able to do? Just because? :?

Godzilla having such absurd atomic breath abilities makes it hard for me to imagine him going up against an opponent when he's at full strength. And he was just used there to move everyone to Hong Kong for the finale. What precedent does that set? I don't want to see more of those really wacky things.

But, now that they've fully embraced the Hollow Earth stuff, I'd actually like to see that expanded, mainly in the way the concept art visualized things. The dark look of it in those concepts, and the additional creatures. There's plenty to explore, and it could go further by linking the tunnel ideas, with creatures adapted to dark environments. That would be awesome. It could have a periodic glow, being lit up like it is in the movie, due to some sort of heat source towards the center or something weird like that. It could be explained that way, I guess?
Dv-218 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:19 pm Took the words out of my mouth. Honestly it was the aspect of the film I was th most hyped to see- granted, I always loved th idea of a rematch and I'm pleased we got it (with a definitive victor no less!) but the idea of them joining forces always allured me even more- and I'm glad it was done in such a manner. I mean, two of the most iconic movie monsters joining forces? Sign me up lol.
Now that it's possible, I would not mind seeing more of it. It's the same way I've felt about stuff like Godzilla vs. Gamera, or Ultraman. They really shouldn't fight. They're better as teams than as opponents.

I do feel like this is a massive victory for Godzilla, though. This is definitely a good rematch, regardless of my complaints about the visual execution of it. Just based upon the history of the characters, and all of the debates. This is the strongest, biggest, and most impressive (King) Kong to date, and Godzilla beat him, even with diminished strength. We all knew that any past version of King Kong would be utterly destroyed by pretty much any version of Godzilla (even the Kong fans, they were lying to themselves), but this movie gives Godzilla a definitive, official victory.

But with Godzilla and Kong actually linked in this series, it opens up a new set of possibilities. I'd like to see a Kong movie that sets up a villain or challenge for Godzilla to face, or vice-versa. New monsters, too. Hopefully new films are made, and they really dive into the "Verse" aspect. Put together a team that keeps things consistent between installments. Episodic types of stories. Full, lively, returning characters. A more serious, but "epic" feel. Stop explaining things through comics. Make it make sense within the movies. Bring them back for a team up once again.

I've seen people suggest aliens. Please, no aliens. No space monsters and alien invasion plots. We really don't need them at all. We have an interesting world set up to explore. That would be just as dumb as a Pacific Rim crossover.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Aliens are already in the MV. Ghidorah busted that door wide open
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

ernesth100 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:18 am Aliens are already in the MV. Ghidorah busted that door wide open
Alien animals are a little different than alien people in my opinion, but yes, I see no reason why aliens can't show up. However.... I really don't want to see an "alien invasion" type thing unless the aliens are actual monsters. Maybe like in The Cloverfield Paradox, where the ships and aliens are monster creatures.

I'm fine with the technology advancing in the Monsterverse, because I like it when humans stand a chance against monsters. However, I can't imagine it escalating more than it already has. We'll probably end up seeing more weaponised versions of the HEAVs in future films, I think, maybe with barrels on them like tanks or something.