Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Mechabrozilla
Ronin

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Mechabrozilla »

Kong was never going to win but I like the fact he held his own - he used his advantages as best he could and scored some good hits. I came out of the movie, even as a Godzilla fan, able to go "yeah, he tried his best and it was cool as hell".

Godzilla is unquestioningly superior, even in-universe. It took creatures well out of Kong's league to solo the big G and I'm fine with that. There's no shame in it, because it doesn't somehow devalue either side. Kong managed to hold his own for a while even though it almost killed him, and Godzilla still came out on top when he wasn't trying to kill Kong outright.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Is that another Warbat on the left? It looks like it has legs.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Does it? No I think it's just 'standing up' so to speak on its tail.

Added in 9 minutes 28 seconds:
Also keep forgetting to post just how much I love it when Kong kicks his enemies. Such as the drop-kick to Godzilla or arm-baring Mechagodzilla and kicking him in the head.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Looks like a generic "rising Cobra" stance to me. On another note, love all of the concept art that has been revealed. Can't wait for the full artbook.
Interesting that the reason for Kong and the Iwi getting off SI seems to have originally been an exploding Volcano. I wonder how early that was in production because I frankly don't recall ever hearing of this in any of the BTS stuff.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Turn out there concept art of the deleted mothra egg scene, I would love it if they showed it in the post credits

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Remember that 5 hour cut Wingard talked about? Read a rumor on 4chan where they believe that's where the Mega Godzilla armor came from.

States that Wingard wanted more fighting between Godzilla and Kong and that likely some point after the MG fight Godzilla would've been damaged enough to require this armor from Monarch to survive.

Mega Kong could be a similar situation and he himself is now powered up on HE energy. Being exposed directly to it and G's radiation he undegoes a mutation and gets bigger and stronger. Gaining powered punches similar to MechaG.

This results in a basically handicapped Godzilla fighting a more powerful Kong and puts Godzilla at the disadvantage this time. Likely not having as much mobility with the armor.

Who else would've liked to see this? How the tables hath turned.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

ernesth100 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:49 am Remember that 5 hour cut Wingard talked about? Read a rumor on 4chan where they believe that's where the Mega Godzilla armor came from.

States that Wingard wanted more fighting between Godzilla and Kong and that likely some point after the MG fight Godzilla would've been damaged enough to require this armor from Monarch to survive.

Mega Kong could be a similar situation and he himself is now powered up on HE energy. Being exposed directly to it and G's radiation he undegoes a mutation and gets bigger and stronger. Gaining powered punches similar to MechaG.

This results in a basically handicapped Godzilla fighting a more powerful Kong and puts Godzilla at the disadvantage this time. Likely not having as much mobility with the armor.

Hmmm...sounds pretty interesting, though i rather like the straight, no weird armor version we got more
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:02 am
ernesth100 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:49 am Remember that 5 hour cut Wingard talked about? Read a rumor on 4chan where they believe that's where the Mega Godzilla armor came from.

Hmmm...sounds pretty interesting, though i rather like the straight, no weird armor version we got more
Yeah, the armor is a bit too... toy-ific, to me.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

That kind of sounds like a pity win to give Kong. An unnecessary power up, a weakened Godzilla, and all after the MechaG fight? Where Godzilla had already resolved his concerns, and Kong could just go home without starting another fight? Just kinda excessive.

If Kong has to win, I’d rather it be because of his strategy and skills, not hollow earth powers. The axe is plenty enough. If it’s just Kong beating up a handicapped Godzilla as the final round, I’d kindly take what we actually got instead of what could have been.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:15 am Does it? No I think it's just 'standing up' so to speak on its tail.
Dv-218 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:17 am Looks like a generic "rising Cobra" stance to me.
Look at the area between its wings and body, it looks like it has insectoid legs or something.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:08 pm
daveblackeye15 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:15 am Does it? No I think it's just 'standing up' so to speak on its tail.
Dv-218 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:17 am Looks like a generic "rising Cobra" stance to me.
Look at the area between its wings and body, it looks like it has insectoid legs or something.
The left wing is folded up due to the rib fingers/wing limbs moving.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Honestly I'm really glad this wasn't made into 5 hours. That would of been too long.

All I would have asked was 2 hours or even 2 hours and 15 minutes if we ever get an extended cut, that would be more than enough to fill in missing gaps like Ren's character.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Gonna take this with a grain of salt considering that's how 4chan rumors usually need to be taken, but if this is real then I am incredibly glad they did not go that route. The armor seems like such a toy-gimmicky thing that I didn't even expect it to be featured as a serious aspect to the film, and imo the entire setup sounds cheap and contrived. We got a proper and definitive battle fair and square, to devalue it would have been a shame.

And ye, pretty sure the "legs" are just pieces of the wing on the Warbat. Honestly while I love the majestic vibe HE we did get there is something cool about the darker and more mysterious appearance. Would be awesome to see regions like this introduced if the HE landscape is to be ever expanded.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

I always thought that the armour would have been to boost Godzilla to beat MG, after Kong was put down and not revived (but not necessarily killed). It’s as though the planet put both kaiju on life support, giving Godzilla this power-up jacket. I’d never think they’d make this jacket for Godzilla to fight Kong. That would have been a terrible narrative to establish in the power scale.

In a longer movie, MG may have not had HE power and was running at 40% strength, so they’d have time to engineer and put this contraption on Godzilla while they retrieved the HE energy signature.

Not to mention that I’ve seen early art of G having his dorsals broken or sawed (proton screamed?) off, with this metal thing replacing his dorsals until he could grow them back, perhaps. It’s all conjecture at this point.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I can't believe people are still trying to push bullshit about the power armor being something that was meant to be in the movie and not just random toy gimmicks like it blatantly is.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:31 pm Honestly I'm really glad this wasn't made into 5 hours. That would of been too long.

All I would have asked was 2 hours or even 2 hours and 15 minutes if we ever get an extended cut, that would be more than enough to fill in missing gaps like Ren's character.
Definitely. Five hours of footage is not a five hour cut by any means. And in a CGI-based movie, there is probably pretty much zero CGI monster stuff left out because that footage is commissioned and completed at great expense and time. It’s not like there’s any of that just lying around. I would have loved if they could give us 20-30 more minutes of movie in a future extended cut, even if it’s very unlikely that more than a quarter of that would be monster CGI (so expensive).

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:40 pm I can't believe people are still trying to push bullshit about the power armor being something that was meant to be in the movie and not just random toy gimmicks like it blatantly is.
Ikr? Like, there was absolutely no official hint or mention of that anywhere. I genuinely doubt it was ever meant to be anything more than some silly looking gimmick like the purple HK battle Godzilla.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:40 pm I can't believe people are still trying to push bullshit about the power armor being something that was meant to be in the movie and not just random toy gimmicks like it blatantly is.
I’m happy it wasn’t in the movie. And certainly the chances that it’s only a toy gimmick are like 95% or higher.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

plasmabeam wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:41 pm
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:31 pm Honestly I'm really glad this wasn't made into 5 hours. That would of been too long.

Definitely. Five hours of footage is not a five hour cut by any means. And in a CGI-based movie, there is probably pretty much zero CGI monster stuff left out because that footage is commissioned and completed at great expense and time. It’s not like there’s any of that just lying around. I would have loved if they could give us 20-30 more minutes of movie in a future extended cut, even if it’s very unlikely that more than a quarter of that would be monster CGI (so expensive).
Also keep in mind that the 5 hour cut could be referring to something known as an "ensemble cut" which is often a rough collection of shot and storyboarded scenes to get a general idea of the film, and in the majority of cases it gets trimmed down either way to a more palatable movie. I don't doubt that the original cut could have been nearly 3 hours long or something like that, but 5 definitely sounds excessive.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

Dude, there’s a guy who literally worked on the movie VFX who has since stated there were partially-finished sequences with Godzilla in the armor.

This has nothing to do with whether or not I personally wanted to see the armor in the movie, so get that out of your head — I don’t understand how some of you discount something to the contrary of your own *opinion* and automatically chalk it up to it absolutely having to be a toy gimmick which seems like a lazy assessment, quite frankly. Like, I get it, we all saw it as a toy almost two years ago but to just dismiss it as a toy gimmick is like a cop-out especially when there’s literally nothing to refute the fact that someone who actually worked on the movie said that in fact, the armor was slated to be featured in the movie.

At this point, there is more evidence that suggests that the red armor was initially slated to be in the movie than there is that it was merely a toy gimmick.

Like I said, I couldn’t give two shits if the armor made the movie or not because I’m happy with the movie we got — but I’m not dismissing what’s been asserted by someone that actually had a hand in production just because someone from this board has to be right all the time.

lol