Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Jermobooka »

UndineUndying wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:55 am
obZen wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:09 pm Did I miss something or is it just consensus that Doughtery is directing the next Godzilla film?
1): They're making more US Godzilla films? I thought the MonsterVerse was supposed to be retiring?
The insane box office, social media attention, and the fact that a figurehead (forget exactly who) at either WB or Legendary said they’re brainstorming ideas for future films in the MV insures it’s future. It’s all but confirmed at this point
Last edited by Jermobooka on Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:14 pm I dunno I think a point blank blast from MG's beam would drill through Godzilla's skull and brain. Well I mean if the Photon Scream was also blue I could buy it...but it's red so I think it'd mess up Godzilla at least.

You’d think, right? But when Godzilla goes nuclear pulse (fire form), his entire body, including throat and mouth tissue, basically turns into living lava. And his beam is stronger than Mechagodzilla’s when Godzilla is at 100%. If his throat and mouth can handle his own stronger breath (even when Kong was forceful shutting his mouth and trapping it inside as well), then Godzilla would maybe have not been as affected as we thought by MG’s kiss of death. For all we know, Godzilla’s internal tissue may be even more heat resistant than his external skin due to his radioactive generation.

Imagine if it powered Godzilla up with a spiral ray that was his main blue one with a red spiral around it. :o

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:41 am
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:17 am Something tells me Dougherty is gonna be the Zack Snyder of the MonsterVerse in terms of tone, atmosphere, and vibe, you know if you catch my drift.
Nah, Gareth Edwards is more like the MonsterVerse's Zack Snyder. He made the 2014 Godzilla movie have a dark, horror-like tone and atmosphere. There was no humor, no jokes made for a cheap laugh, just seriousness from beginning to end with the use of dark coloring in almost every scene. That is something Snyder would have done.
That awkward moment when Godzilla (2014) is still the best overall movie in the Monsterverse...

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Don't know why people think humor is needed in a film lmao.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Ugh I don't think I'd want Zack Snyder doing an MV movie. At least not as full director but maybe visual lead.
I mean I'd take him over a heartbeat as overall director over Michael Bay.

UndineUndying
Ronin

Post by UndineUndying »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:25 am The insane box office, social media attention, and the fact that a figurehead (forget exactly who) at either WB or Legendary said they’re brainstorming ideas for future films in the MV insures it’s future. It’s all but confirmed at this point
I gotcha.
CrimsonBloodX wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:41 am [...]Nah, Gareth Edwards is more like the MonsterVerse's Zack Snyder. He made the 2014 Godzilla movie have a dark, horror-like tone and atmosphere. There was no humor, no jokes made for a cheap laugh, just seriousness from beginning to end with the use of dark coloring in almost every scene. That is something Snyder would have done.
Godzilla 14 is not my favorite film by any margin, but I feel like Edwards as a filmmaker is less all-over the place than Snyder, and at the very least has a better grasp of visual storytelling (showing and not telling) that isn't overly busy/crowded. The problem with G14 (for me) has always been the sense that Edwards and co. were more invested in the MUTO's journey (and replicating Godzilla '54's Monster delay), than Godzilla or any of the human characters who were meant to be his foils.

I feel like that's why think Dougherty, and by extension Jordan Vogt-Roberts, were hired. I think KSI and KOTM found a better balance between human/monster, even if the director's haven't exactly found a proper balance for other their strengths (comedy/humor, horror, and animation) within the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Snyder would do wonders with an MV film. I've been saying he'd rock a Rodan solo for the longest.

Added in 1 minute 31 seconds:
The Monsterverse loves religious imagery, Snyder does religious imagery perfectly.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If I had to guess Wingard will probably get Godzilla 3 and Godzilla and Kong's next crossover.

Doughtery I think could do a Mothra film for HBO Max.

While G14 isn't my fav I think Edwards would kill a Rodan film.

Added in 25 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:10 pm Snyder would do wonders with an MV film. I've been saying he'd rock a Rodan solo for the longest.

Added in 1 minute 31 seconds:
The Monsterverse loves religious imagery, Snyder does religious imagery perfectly.
Synder can have a Ghidorah film.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Imagine Snyder translating these.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Snyder does religious symbolism:
"HEY GUYS SUPERMAN IS LIKE JESUS! HE'S JESUS YOU GUYS! DID YOU MISS THE HINT HE'S LIKE JESUS!?!? Uh hey did you get that he's Jesus?"

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:13 pm Imagine Snyder translating these.

I can totally see Rodan doing all of these (I.E. Rodan rising out of Fiji a-la the second pic)
Last edited by Jermobooka on Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:18 pm Snyder does religious symbolism:
"HEY GUYS SUPERMAN IS LIKE JESUS! HE'S JESUS YOU GUYS! DID YOU MISS THE HINT HE'S LIKE JESUS!?!? Uh hey did you get that he's Jesus?"
And it's still perfect every time? Especially with how he combines it with greek mythology.

Added in 2 minutes 50 seconds:
Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:22 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:13 pm Imagine Snyder translating these.

I can totally see Rodan doing all of these (I.E. Rodan rising out of Fiji a-la the second pic)
Yeah I was thinking the first pic would be Rodan hovering over some jets while they can't see him (or maybe bleeding badly?). 2nd pic would be him rising from another volcano and the third would be him kamikazi'ing headfirst into something.

Snyder would rock it.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

I must admit, Snyder doing a Rodan movie sounds intriguing if nothing else.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

obZen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:28 pm I must admit, Snyder doing a Rodan movie sounds intriguing if nothing else.
Plus we know he definitely knows how to film flying scenes of characters breaking sound barriers.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

Lol, yeah I always enjoyed those like, 2 shots we got in KOTM of Rodan flying over the city wrecking absolute havoc, it’s too bad we didn’t get much more emphasis on the power of Rodan — even though I understand Doughtery was somewhat frustrated (I’m presuming) with not being able to depict more even though he also acknowledged how powerful Rodan is in a lot of ways as well.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

plasmabeam wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:31 am
daveblackeye15 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:14 pm I dunno I think a point blank blast from MG's beam would drill through Godzilla's skull and brain. Well I mean if the Photon Scream was also blue I could buy it...but it's red so I think it'd mess up Godzilla at least.

You’d think, right? But when Godzilla goes nuclear pulse (fire form), his entire body, including throat and mouth tissue, basically turns into living lava. And his beam is stronger than Mechagodzilla’s when Godzilla is at 100%. If his throat and mouth can handle his own stronger breath (even when Kong was forceful shutting his mouth and trapping it inside as well), then Godzilla would maybe have not been as affected as we thought by MG’s kiss of death. For all we know, Godzilla’s internal tissue may be even more heat resistant than his external skin due to his radioactive generation.

Imagine if it powered Godzilla up with a spiral ray that was his main blue one with a red spiral around it. :o
But... you see Godzilla's chest burning a little from the inside (I think) after the beam struggle, right? That's after his beam gets blasted back down his throat? So even if he recovers from it quickly, he definitely gets hurt by beams, whether it was from his own or Mechagodzilla. Mechagodzilla's beam last for a loooooong time during each good burst too, Godzilla may be able to take it for a few seconds but I doubt he'd take it for longer than that.

I mean, let's look at it from just a filmmaker's perspective- if it wasn't gonna do serious damage to him, why would it have been so focused on? It's the only one of Mechagodzilla's attacks to have a slow build-up to it, and they explicitly showed what it does to a monster with the Skullcrawler earlier. I truly believe it would have probably killed Godzilla, as distressing as it is to think about, and I don't think Godzilla could shut it off. If KONG, who weighs enough to keep an entire ship from righting itself in the water, landing his entire body on Mechagodzilla's neck and sending him careening backwards isn't enough to shut off that beam, Godzilla pinned to the ground would have been completely defenceless to it.

I feel like we should have seen MG's beam maybe just graze Godzilla during their fight and blast one of his dorsal fins off or something, just to make it clear that the beam is serious business.

Added in 2 minutes 19 seconds:
obZen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:37 pm Lol, yeah I always enjoyed those like, 2 shots we got in KOTM of Rodan flying over the city wrecking absolute havoc, it’s too bad we didn’t get much more emphasis on the power of Rodan — even though I understand Doughtery was somewhat frustrated (I’m presuming) with not being able to depict more even though he also acknowledged how powerful Rodan is in a lot of ways as well.
TBH I don't think any of the monsters get their power shown too well in the film, I really want more destruction scenes in these films. I wanted to see how Washington DC got annihilated like that... or maybe what Mothra's god rays would do in combat.
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:06 pm
plasmabeam wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:31 am

But... you see Godzilla's chest burning a little from the inside (I think) after the beam struggle, right? That's after his beam gets blasted back down his throat? So even if he recovers from it quickly, he definitely gets hurt by beams, whether it was from his own or Mechagodzilla. Mechagodzilla's beam last for a loooooong time during each good burst too, Godzilla may be able to take it for a few seconds but I doubt he'd take it for longer than that.

I mean, let's look at it from just a filmmaker's perspective- if it wasn't gonna do serious damage to him, why would it have been so focused on? It's the only one of Mechagodzilla's attacks to have a slow build-up to it, and they explicitly showed what it does to a monster with the Skullcrawler earlier. I truly believe it would have probably killed Godzilla, as distressing as it is to think about, and I don't think Godzilla could shut it off. If KONG, who weighs enough to keep an entire ship from righting itself in the water, landing his entire body on Mechagodzilla's neck and sending him careening backwards isn't enough to shut off that beam, Godzilla pinned to the ground would have been completely defenceless to it.

I feel like we should have seen MG's beam maybe just graze Godzilla during their fight and blast one of his dorsal fins off or something, just to make it clear that the beam is serious business.

Like I said initially, it’s a thought that crossed my mind that could be feasible in this bonkers science MV universe.

Sure, Godzilla glowed after being hit by the beam, but Godzilla was beaming in glow from going fire mode in KOTM and noting happened to him. Are we assuming Mechagodzilla’s ray is hotter than Godzilla’s fire mode?

Imagine how cool it would have been if we thought the kiss of death destroyed him... only to see MG get struck in the back by a spiral ray with G glowing red eyes, powered up.

Right now, the science of the MV is so preposterous that this scenario is not far-fetched at all.

Anyway, it’s only a thought of a different scenario using past established science into account.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Probably should have been more clear regarding the Doughtery-Snyder comparison, I meant as in both being the most involved in the particular cinematic universes.
Moogabunga wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:32 amThat awkward moment when Godzilla (2014) is still the best overall movie in the Monsterverse...
It's called your opinion. Everyone else has a favorite or thinks other of the three movies is the best in the MonsterVerse.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Moogabunga wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:32 am
CrimsonBloodX wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:41 am
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:17 am Something tells me Dougherty is gonna be the Zack Snyder of the MonsterVerse in terms of tone, atmosphere, and vibe, you know if you catch my drift.
Nah, Gareth Edwards is more like the MonsterVerse's Zack Snyder. He made the 2014 Godzilla movie have a dark, horror-like tone and atmosphere. There was no humor, no jokes made for a cheap laugh, just seriousness from beginning to end with the use of dark coloring in almost every scene. That is something Snyder would have done.
That awkward moment when Godzilla (2014) is still the best overall movie in the Monsterverse...
It is. It's the only one that I can actually sit through these days and not feel like some stupid joke(s), music choice(s), or cinematography just breaks the thing.
_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:42 am Don't know why people think humor is needed in a film lmao.
I've been thinking the same thing for the longest time. Why do we need so many jokes in these movies? I was not going into the 2014 film looking for a comedy.

Kong: Skull Island went a bit off with some of them, but it was more tolerable than what would follow. I don't think the humor is necessary.
UndineUndying wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:06 pm The problem with G14 (for me) has always been the sense that Edwards and co. were more invested in the MUTO's journey (and replicating Godzilla '54's Monster delay), than Godzilla or any of the human characters who were meant to be his foils.
That would likely be because Godzilla isn't the threat of the movie by any means, but the MUTOs are. Look at other Godzilla films, and you see this happening as well to varying degrees. Godzilla is much more mysterious too, and I think that adds to the movie.
I don't think the human characters were that bad, either. It's only that Bryan Cranston's character died, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson was very lacking in his line delivery. The energy of the movie declines without Joe Brody, or the father and son dynamic. Sequels could have learned from the reception that G2014 got, but they didn't really. The serious tone wasn't the problem, but the characters and cutaways before the finale were.
UndineUndying wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:06 pm I feel like that's why think Dougherty, and by extension Jordan Vogt-Roberts, were hired. I think KSI and KOTM found a better balance between human/monster, even if the director's haven't exactly found a proper balance for other their strengths (comedy/humor, horror, and animation) within the MonsterVerse.
Jordan Vogt-Roberts had it put together better, but Dougherty didn't. Dougherty, in my personal opinion, gets far too much praise for GKOTM. It's easily the weakest of the MonsterVerse in nearly everything it attempts to do. The writing of the story, the color filters, the dialog, the numerous juvenile jokes (most pull you straight out of the movie, and disrespect the monsters in some way), the comic book/cartoon feel to it, the scope (it feels so lifeless and small, and yet travels all around the world): all of it just fails to create a satisfying film to me. It's more annoying and insulting than anything. I'd take boring characters over irritating characters any day.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:48 pmI've been thinking the same thing for the longest time. Why do we need so many jokes in these movies? I was not going into the 2014 film looking for a comedy.

Kong: Skull Island went a bit off with some of them, but it was more tolerable than what would follow. I don't think the humor is necessary.
Because obviously as the Dark Universe and later DCEU did they're trying to copy off the MCU being the hit it was so it was thought humor = more money. Humor also gives more personality and charisma for that matter too. Take Hank Marlowe notably, I'll gladly take him over Ford any day. Hell I'll take him over anyone for that matter, he was the most boring human character in the MonsterVerse. I recall the writers and producers of G14 even regretted killing Joe Brody off who should have been the lead instead and killed Ford off instead. No one would have missed him.

I think by doing that, this would have more emotion to it with Joe realizing his obsession finding the truth lead to his sons death and so he becomes more determined in stopping the MUTOS, also imagine him having to break the news to his daughter-in-law and grandson over the death of Ford? That would be heart-wrenching.

For the most part while humor isn't needed in every movie, I understand why those might add it as it puts more realism to movies if you get where I'm getting at. It's just gotta be done right if they add it or in this case levity.

Added in 3 minutes 54 seconds:
If anyone should direct a solo Rodan film it's Jordan-Vogt Roberts especially in Top Gun style.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.