Inevitable Crossover: Pacific Rim

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Inevitable Crossover: Pacific Rim

Post by ernesth100 »

I think it's high time we discussed this. Both MonsterVerse and Rimverse directors alike have expressed a fondess of the idea. And it's very clear that it would be a very easy IP to bring back. Similar to what they've done with Kong but even easier.

That being said. How do we go about this one? Do we want to ignore Uprising and soft reboot the series?

Do we want them to keep it all and just have them make bigger Jaegers?

Do we want them to make a non-canon spin-off that affects neither timeline?

There are many ways this could happen and it's very clear that the fandom is still as alive for the RV as ever. So what is the likelyhood?
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: Inevitable Crossover: Pacific Rim

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Fuck that lol
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

I would have been more up for it if there were only the first Pacific Rim. But after Uprising... Yeah, pass. It and the anime are pushing in a way different direction than the Monsterverse, and I’d rather see them hold up in their own ways.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

hell no, it looks like the monsterverse redeemed itself with KvG. KOTM was so close to uprising levels of bad. so, no thank you. I even thought the first pacific rim was just "ok"

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I just feel like it's gonna happen EVENTUALLY. I didn't say I wanted it to happen. But it's very clear neither franchise is slowing down anytime soon.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'd rather prefer we just have the two franchises stay separate but if we HAVE to let them cross over, it should be something non-canon to either mythos so it doesn't effect the stories.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:22 am I'd rather prefer we just have the two franchises stay separate but if we HAVE to let them cross over, it should be something non-canon to either mythos so it doesn't effect the stories.
This would be the best route. You can take the best of both universes. Redesign some things and you're even free to take liberties with the plot devices. It's not as constricted as an actual filmverse crossover would be.

G-Fan
Yojimbo

Post by G-Fan »

Please keep these two franchises separate for as long as possible. :roll:
We've got so many wonderful stories to choose from Godzilla/Kong universe.

But if Legendary/WB eventually decide to do the crossover I bet it will involve Mechagodzilla/Mecha-Ghidorah at some point.
Last edited by G-Fan on Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

ernesth100 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:32 am I think it's high time we discussed this. Both MonsterVerse and Rimverse directors alike have expressed a fondess of the idea. And it's very clear that it would be a very easy IP to bring back. Similar to what they've done with Kong but even easier.

That being said. How do we go about this one? Do we want to ignore Uprising and soft reboot the series?

Do we want them to keep it all and just have them make bigger Jaegers?

Do we want them to make a non-canon spin-off that affects neither timeline?

There are many ways this could happen and it's very clear that the fandom is still as alive for the RV as ever. So what is the likelyhood?
Soft reboot. Now that we have Mechagodzilla in the MV, jaegers aren’t far-fetched anymore.

I’d love to have the original cast from the first movie, but that might be unlikely to happen.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I'm against the idea unfortunately

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:29 am I'm against the idea unfortunately
Not unfortunately at all. I appreciate the fans are actually the ones against this. I've only seen reports on Edwards, DeKnight and I believe Gareth ever expressing their interest in the concept. But we're far past that phase.

I'm assuming any crossover that comes would be either comic or animated non-canon film.

That's not to say the universes wouldn't benefit from a merger. I could see several ways PR becoming part of the MV can be far better for it than continuing on it's own legs.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Don’t want it to happen, but see it as likely just for monetary reasons. It is a somewhat big draw, at least more than say Godzilla fighting an “obscure” Toho Kaiju like Biollante or something. Only way I see it happening is alternate dimensions or some crazy sci fi thing like that. Have a PR movie take place directly after the first but before the second and make it such that’s there’s some dimensional rift that causes there to be two different “universes”, one that leads to the universe of Uprising and another to the universe that eventually becomes the Monsterverse. Prolly sounds dumb but I want Uprising to be distanced away as much as possible from the Monsterverse that’s for sure lol
Last edited by Hokmuto on Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The King

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Just give pacific rim their own Godzilla incarnation
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

How would the Monsterverse crossing over with Pacific Rim be any different then let's say, Godzilla and Mothra crossing paths in 1964?

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I am too opposed to it, but the best reason I can give is aesthetic differences. These two worlds just don't seem like they would mess very well together outside of both including Kaiju.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

There's not really a good way to make a crossover, even if it isn't canon.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

ernesth100 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:28 am
Gigantis wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:22 am I'd rather prefer we just have the two franchises stay separate but if we HAVE to let them cross over, it should be something non-canon to either mythos so it doesn't effect the stories.
This would be the best route. You can take the best of both universes. Redesign some things and you're even free to take liberties with the plot devices. It's not as constricted as an actual filmverse crossover would be.
This is exactly what I was thinking when Godzilla Vs Kong was first a rumored thing years ago. :lol: But I have hence become more accepting of "Godzilla Vs 300 foot ape; The movie " as a concept. Maybe it'd be the same with a Rim crossover. Though people, er, the general audience might look at such a thing and think, "Oh woow, another Godzilla crossover. -_- Can't this series stand on its own?! "

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

The franchises seem pretty distinct and are obviously out of continuity with one another. The kaiju in PR are more like action set pieces compared to characters and godlike entities like in the Monsterverse so far. The pilots are more the heart of PR from what I remember and the robots aren't quite as durable as what is expected in the MV. If it's them fighting Godzilla then it won't really work out I don't think. If you look at PR's premise though that might work as the MV is definitely more fantasy now--namely, how the aliens send an invasion force in the form of kaiju to wreck the place from another dimension/planet.

I kind of like the idea of an alien species sending kaiju to try to take over the planet and Godzilla serving as a defense against it. This mostly being that it's a premise that the franchise has done before and seeing it with modern effects would be pretty cool. I don't know if that would be enough to really call it a Pacific Rim movie, though?
Spoiler:
MV Earth can make its own robots as shown by Mechagodzilla. Still, this means essentially a PR reboot in the MV which I don't know if it would count as a crossover. Also they would take away from the mascots Godzilla and Kong which might just beg the question why restart it and set it in a different universe? Just seems like things would be a little weird no matter what.
Last edited by EdGojira on Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

The solution is to just have the Precursors (however they're spelled) attack the MV Earth but they get whooped so hard they stop after Godzilla and Kong kill most of their forces.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I could see them doing something with the anime series crossing over with PR:The Black. No need for the crossover to be a big, live action film.