The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
obZen
Interpol Agent

Re: The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

Post by obZen »

I kind of think a DAM-like film is justified, in part because of the pandemic screwing with everything. We didn’t get to fully experience what GvK could’ve been (despite it being practically world-beating as it were) and so subsequently ‘DAM’ could serve as quite the carrot for ‘phase 2’ to come to fruition; the MonsterVerse’s equivalent to DAM could potentially be the next and only other outing where we would see Kong and Godzilla come together and team up proper (potentially with other allies) — in a way that’s never been seen or experienced before in fact. That’s quite the incentive for setting up Kong 2/Godzilla 3 at the very least.

But candidly speaking, if we’re getting the two aforementioned prospective films,
we’re getting a ‘DAM’ film. And if the fans get so much as a sniff, a subtle allusion to a ‘DAM’ climax, it’ll only add to the allure of the preceding installments that would lead up to it. That’s partially why I think Kong: Skull Island was so well received — before the movie came out we knew officially we were getting GvK, and that in turn added to the intrigue of this new Kong movie taking place in the same cinematic universe as Godzilla (that, and it was a well executed film). Personally, I feel the mere announcement(s) of Kong 2/Godzilla 3 is all but a confirmation that we’d see a DAM-like climax.

I guess what I’m saying at this point is a hypothetical second phase would really do well now that the fandom is where it’s at as well as monsters in general within pop-culture (Brad Pitt name-checking Godzilla at the Oscars not excluded).

I personally believe a ‘MonsterVerse BC’ has so much potential to be a captivating opening mission statement for ‘phase 2’ but that’s a story for another day.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

The only thing I'm worries about with a MonsterVerse BC film is how they keep people's interest without human characters. You know that's already a touchy move for critics.

The best way they could do it imo is to have the events narrated by someone. I wouldn't object to each monster having a different narrator based on who's viewpoint it's following.

Or is that a bit to on the nose for the GA?
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

ernesth100 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:46 am The only thing I'm worries about with a MonsterVerse BC film is how they keep people's interest without human characters. You know that's already a touchy move for critics.

The best way they could do it imo is to have the events narrated by someone. I wouldn't object to each monster having a different narrator based on who's viewpoint it's following.

They could easily just have the ancient Humans from the civilizations that followed Godzilla and Iwis be the Human characters of the movie. There are some difficulties but I think its a totally possible direction

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

For the first time in years we don’t know exactly what the future holds for Godzilla regarding films. It feels like a announcement is coming any day from Toho.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Cookson wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:52 am For the first time in years we don’t know exactly what the future holds for Godzilla regarding films. It feels like a announcement is coming any day from Toho.
I feel like we wont hear anything until fall regarding an update.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

ernesth100 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:46 am The only thing I'm worries about with a MonsterVerse BC film is how they keep people's interest without human characters. You know that's already a touchy move for critics.

See, this is why despite what Wingard said about movies featuring like almost 3/4 monster-time (which I think can be pulled off at maybe 50-60% monster-time), there still needs to be a good amount of human story-telling for a theoretical ‘MonsterVerse BC’ installment in particular — and consequently that’s why I’m thinking the presence of some decent star power to drive it home and effectively fill in this lore that has been built up is imperative. Like it has to be at or pretty damn close to Avatar-caliber world-building in order to set the template for Kong 2/Godzilla 3 which could then more gracefully taper off on the human screen time — similar to what the first four films did basically.

I reckon a MonsterVerse BC prequel has to be the longest-duration movie in the cinematic universe in order to successfully balance the storytelling/dialogue needed as well as the copious amount of monster action that the GA demands to see — something like 165-180 minutes.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cookson wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:52 am For the first time in years we don’t know exactly what the future holds for Godzilla regarding films. It feels like a announcement is coming any day from Toho.
I think we'll hear something by the end of the year, but probably not until well after SP is over in Japan. No reason to deflate your current series with news of something new. But given a month or two after it's over? Yeah, possible.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

not expecting any announcements until the SP hype dies down a few weeks after it releases on netflix

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

ROMG4 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:48 am

They could easily just have the ancient Humans from the civilizations that followed Godzilla and Iwis be the Human characters of the movie. There are some difficulties but I think its a totally possible direction
I think that is the best bet. I am all for DAM or something but KoTM set up a world of Titans that were hardly acknowledged in GvK. So it would be nice to see some of what has already been set up be used before moving to something greater.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Am I the only fan who would prefer to see more new creations over classics? I love the classics, and I certainly wouldn't complain if we saw monsterverse Varan or Anguirus. But I love the new monsters we've seen so far, and after reading Dominion I'd love to see more.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

KingKaiju wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:58 pm Am I the only fan who would prefer to see more new creations over classics? I love the classics, and I certainly wouldn't complain if we saw monsterverse Varan or Anguirus. But I love the new monsters we've seen so far, and after reading Dominion I'd love to see more.
On the same boat. I'd love both equally but I wouldn't lie that I'm leaning more towards seeing new guys because so far the original Monsterverse critters have been pretty stellar. Now with the Hollow Earth we have even more of an opportunity for that.

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

I think I would prefer mostly original monsters. Beyond Anguirus, Biollante, Hedorah, Ebirah, Kamacarus, Kumonga, Manda, and maybe the Gargantuas, I worry that most other kaiju would feel shoehorned into the story at the risk of poor story telling or bastardizing the characters. Even with the above, you can simply pay homage to the monsters with an original character and not end up with xINO.

yogi bareass
Samurai

Post by yogi bareass »

KingKaiju wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:58 pm Am I the only fan who would prefer to see more new creations over classics? I love the classics, and I certainly wouldn't complain if we saw monsterverse Varan or Anguirus. But I love the new monsters we've seen so far, and after reading Dominion I'd love to see more.
I'm with you there. The only classics I would like to see are villains like Destroyah, Biollante etc. These new monsters REALLY get my imagination going. One in particular is Sekhmet; The lioness/sphinx with horns, I would LOVE to see her make an appearance on screen.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

yogi bareass wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:36 amOne in particular is Sekhmet; The lioness/sphinx with horns, I would LOVE to see her make an appearance on screen.
Be careful what you wish for. That might backfire as we saw with Amhuluk.

I recall based on monitor screens shown in KotM, Sekhmet might be more of a centipede-like titan.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:43 am

I recall based on monitor screens shown in KotM, Sekhmet might be more of a centipede-like titan.
Dougherty confirmed she actually is meant to be some kinda sphinx looking monster.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:45 amDougherty confirmed she actually is meant to be some kinda sphinx looking monster.
Then I wonder what explains the centipede-like appearance on the monitor screen.

Guess that'll just be dismissed or retconned.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I'm intrigued by the idea of new villians because the other multiverses never go there. At the same time I'd love to see Biollante, Destoroyah, or even Gigan.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

'Godzilla vs. Kong' Director Adam Wingard In Talks for Legendary's Next MonsterVerse Film

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... e-director
Last edited by Gojira2K on Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Love to see Wingard back but they should do someone else as he has to go do Thundercats and Face/off next. That's the same reason Edwards left and everything got delayed.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:19 pm Love to see Wingard back but they should do someone else as he has to go do Thundercats and Face/off next. That's the same reason Edwards left and everything got delayed.
Face/off shouldn't take long to shoot, and animated projects take vary long time to get started, so I imagine Adam could get a new kong film finishe'd in time for a late 2023 release