The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

Post by Smuggers »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:07 pm If the MCU didn't do it would everyone keep going on about it like it was a plausible idea?
Definitely not, the majority of suggestions for the MV are akin to following a flowchart set out by the MCU.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:41 pm
king_ghidorah wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:17 pm Again. Many have said if, but ill reiterate….it’s good that fans don’t have any input on the final product.
THANK YOU
Thirded.

I find it funny how king_ghidorah (user) mentioned that the World Serpent is the new Bagan for the fandom. The funny thing is that the World Serpent was never a concept for the Monsterverse ever at all; it was part of some BS fan made “leaks” for Godzilla vs Kong lol

Also… a giant troll with ape features sounds stupid as fuck for a “final” villain. Might as well just copy-paste the troll in the dungeon from Harry Potter. Like, a larger and more rugged fully-antagonistic Godzilla would be far cooler for a final film
Last edited by Handsome Shrek on Fri May 13, 2022 6:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:21 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:48 pmJia makes it seem like Godzilla is Zo-zla-halawa but when you look at the art book, Dominion and the novel together Jia is going off what her people were told.

Humans, Kongs and Godzillas are all working together fighting something in the Hollow Earth.

I think we'll find out Zo-zla-halawa was once a Godzilla but he ate a "star" and went mad. Jia's stroy will be the but it isn't our Godzilla.
And how often is it that movies follows novelizations and artworks of from previous films? :?

Lol as if we're gonna get SpaceGodzilla in the MonsterVerse. That's just wishful thinking here. You'll get someone like Gigan before you'll ever get SpaceGodzilla given we're likely to only get 2-3 movies left at most and especially when Legendary could continue making their own monsters rather then spending more money that Toho would likely make a high price for them.

And besides why would the Godzilla's and Kong's work together? As Ilene Andrews said in the film, there was a great war between them which lead to the Godzilla's victory that had the surviving Kong's driven to Skull Island. Artwork is clearly nothing and looking too much into it.
You assume it's SpaceG but what we saw in the artwork is a Godzilla with wings. Zo-zla-halawa could be everything but SpaceG in name for all we know. Godzilla and Kong have already worked together once. Godzilla and Kong are young compared to their species, just like Kong had to learn what it meant to be a Titan in GvsK, Godzilla doesn't know everything about himself. Ilene could be working with half info, the cave painting was in the film it just wasn't focused on.

As for previous artwork Muto Prime says hi.

Added in 7 minutes 11 seconds:
king_ghidorah wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:17 pm Again. Many have said if, but ill reiterate….it’s good that fans don’t have any input on the final product.
Yeah because fans sure fucked up KOTM or Shin Godzilla am I right.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:52 pmGodzilla and Kong have already worked together once.
Yeah only because Jia asked him to.

Even then, it was clear they still weren't allies as Kong was ready to battle once more before deciding to drop his axe as means of peace between them.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:10 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:52 pmGodzilla and Kong have already worked together once.

Even then, it was clear they still weren't allies as Kong was ready to battle once more before deciding to drop his axe as means of peace between them.
Godzilla and Kong's relationship doesn't mean their ancestors didn't work together thousands of years ago.

Kong only knows to fight, the first time he meets Godzilla it was fight or bow, Godzilla only knows to make the Titans submit as he is The Alpha. Those two are learning throughout Godzilla vs Kong. The film is as much about them fighting as it was them learning.

There was a Godzillas vs Kongs war, we know that Kongs were sent to Skull Island as a result. We also know that there was a story of a Godzilla that ate a star and turned bad, we see cave paints of both species fighting a Winged-Godzilla. We aren't in the writers room but the way the future looks I think all of this is set up for something.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

God please not SpaceGodzilla. I'd take Destoroyah and hell, even Bagan over SpaceGodzilla... Ok, not Bagan, but still.
For Emperor and Empire!

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Yeah because fans sure fucked up KOTM or Shin Godzilla am I right.
Well if the fans here were in charge of KotM, it would’ve had Jet Jaguar and would’ve had a teamup to take down Hedorah, Biollante, and Mecha-Ghidorah. And then a post credit scene teasing the World Serpent

And Godzilla vs Kong would’ve had all the Titans team up to take down the World Serpent.

I’ll take the movies that we actually got thank you very much
Last edited by Handsome Shrek on Sat May 14, 2022 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

What do you guys think of my take on Godzilla vs. Kong?

Basically the first 45-50 minutes of the film minus the Godzilla subplot. Plot being about the characters on the Kong side of the story having to take Kong to the hollow earth as his new home due to Skull Island becoming uninhabited despite knowing the risk of taking him off the island due to Godzilla given their species' ancient rivalry. Reason for Godzilla going after Kong is due to his species having been destroyers/conquerors notably enslaving titans and early humanity living under fear of them whom said ancient war since had the Godzilla's winning and sending the rest of the Kong's to Skull Island (The idea being that Kong's species could have basically been us but at a much larger scale if the temple is anything to go by. This also would have made Godzilla seem less of a jackass as he was in the film) and is trying to avoid a "Planet of the Apes" scenario again, hellbent on killing him. First fight taking place in the Tasman Sea, then second in Sydney, Australia (Characters going there to rethink their plan how to get Kong to Antarctica without coming across Godzilla again and MONARCH re-supplying them with needed resources, then third and final fight taking place in Antarctica, Godzilla still wins as he did in the film and comes close to killing Kong but then Mothra interferes convincing him Kong isn't his ancestors and that the past needs to be left behind, reluctant at first, he decides to but makes it clear if Kong ever leaves the hollow earth that he won't be so merciful next time. Movie then ends as it did like in the movie.

Subplot would have involved characters at MONARCH monitoring Mothra's egg and the Mothra Twins being involved about how she's ready to hatch all while aware of the conflict Godzilla and Kong are having, once awakening goes to try and convince Godzilla to spare Kong.

Next two films would had been Godzilla 3 and Kong 2. Former being the Godzilla APEX/Mechagodzilla subplot but instead of Mechagodzilla that Mecha-King Ghidorah is used instead (Wasn't a fan of the whole King Ghidorah-Mechagodzilla route as it came off too much as Zod-Doomsday all over again), Mechagodzilla would be used for a later film who is created from the metal remains of Mecha-King Ghidorah.

Kong 2 would be the hollow earth, exploration of Kong's species notably his species ancient war with the Godzilla's and the temple as seen in Godzilla vs. Kong.

Team-up between Godzilla and Kong would occur in later film.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat May 14, 2022 4:18 am, edited 5 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:29 am
Yeah because fans sure skreeonked up KOTM or Shin Godzilla am I right.
Well if the fans here were in charge of KotM, it would’ve had Jet Jaguar and would’ve had a teamup to take down Hedorah, Biollante, and Mecha-Ghidorah. And then a post credit scene teasing the World Serpent

And Godzilla vs Kong would’ve had all the Titans team up to take down the World Serpent.

That's one or two people here at most. A lot of us dream much different then serious speculation for the future of the MV.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sat May 14, 2022 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:29 am
Yeah because fans sure skreeonked up KOTM or Shin Godzilla am I right.

This. The fans involved with these films are accomplished writers and creators. That’s very different than the stuff stinking up this thread.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:10 pm
Damn, Kong's that whipped?
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Disney CEO Bob Chapek recently has been going around announcing that he's proud that they don't need China to make a blockbuster hit (making reference to the fact that Disney refused to cut the dialogue about American Chavez's two mothers in Multiverse of Madness and as a result Doctor Strange in the MOM not playing in China and the middle east). While this is most likely lip service, it does open up the possibility that the monsterverse might have a little less competition from Disney in some parts of the world, for better or worse. Granted that also means the writer's for the monsterverse will have less freedom though.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:25 pm Disney CEO Bob Chapek recently has been going around announcing that he's proud that they don't need China to make a blockbuster hit (making reference to the fact that Disney refused to cut the dialogue about American Chavez's two mothers in Multiverse of Madness and as a result Doctor Strange in the MOM not playing in China and the middle east). While this is most likely lip service, it does open up the possibility that the monsterverse might have a little less competition from Disney in some parts of the world, for better or worse. Granted that also means the writer's for the monsterverse will have less freedom though.
Definitely a positive on the Monsterverse side of things. It absolutely needs that China money.
Last edited by Cookson on Sun May 15, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Cookson wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:29 pm
darthzilla99 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:25 pm Disney CEO Bob Chapek recently has been going around announcing that he's proud that they don't need China to make a blockbuster hit (making reference to the fact that Disney refused to cut the dialogue about American Chavez's two mothers in Multiverse of Madness and as a result Doctor Strange in the MOM not playing in China and the middle east). While this is most likely lip service, it does open up the possibility that the monsterverse might have a little less competition from Disney in some parts of the world, for better or worse. Granted that also means the writer's for the monsterverse will have less freedom though.
Definitely a positive on the Monsterverse side of things. It absolutely needs that China money.
Keep in mind though
1. This is likely just lip service
2. Likely not all future mcu or Disney movies will have LGBT characters in it preventing them from being in China.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

Godzilla needs a redemption arc. GvK villainized Godzilla, making a complete 180 degree turn from KotM, and made me want KONG to win!
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Red-Death Gigan wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:35 am Godzilla needs a redemption arc. GvK villainized Godzilla, making a complete 180 degree turn from KotM, and made me want KONG to win!
Your comment illustrates the problem with a modern Godzilla/Kong match-up. The characters in 2021 aren't the same as they were in 1962. Back then, Godzilla was the bad guy. You were supposed to root for Kong. But in 2021 who exactly are you supposed to root for? Same issue I have with the idea of Godzilla meeting Gamera or Ultraman.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:55 am Same issue I have with the idea of Godzilla meeting Gamera or Ultraman.
Honestly I don't imagine that being too confusing, especially if a potential Godzilla vs. Gamera/Ultraman crossover is a Japanese project. (which it probably would be) Toho seems pretty comfortable having Godzilla as the main bad guy for whatever project they have a hand in, which isn't the case for his MV counterpart whose mostly portrayed as good.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:33 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:55 am Same issue I have with the idea of Godzilla meeting Gamera or Ultraman.
Honestly I don't imagine that being too confusing, especially if a potential Godzilla vs. Gamera/Ultraman crossover is a Japanese project. (which it probably would be) Toho seems pretty comfortable having Godzilla as the main bad guy for whatever project they have a hand in, which isn't the case for his MV counterpart whose mostly portrayed as good.
I cant imagine Toho being cool with the idea of Gamera EVER beating Godzilla.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:51 am
Who said Gamera had to win? GMK already proved Toho is okay with the good guys dying.. Or they could just have it end in a draw. That's what usually happens in crossovers anyway.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:47 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:51 am

Who said Gamera had to win? GMK already proved Toho is okay with the good guys dying.. Or they could just have it end in a draw. That's what usually happens in crossovers anyway.
Don't compare the idea of Godzilla going up against Gamera with what happened in GMK. The situations are totally different. There's a world of difference between Godzilla being beaten by other Toho monsters and Godzilla being beaten by Gamera.