Godzilla vs Kong PHOTO THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla vs Kong PHOTO THREAD

Post by GFAN198423 »

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Great stuff!!
Formerly known as kurtzilla

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

I take back everything bad I said about the marketing, these new posters look amazing especially Godzilla's! Now would someone hook me up with the textless version again please :)?

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Hold up, there's a spider looking creature behind Kong - bottom right.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Gotta be honest. I've felt like all these posters feel kind of... cheap. Although, I do like the Vs one. Where can I buy these? I’d like to get a copy of that one.
Last edited by KingKaiju on Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

GFAN198423 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:13 pm Image

Niiiiiice

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:17 pm Hold up, there's a spider looking creature behind Kong - bottom right.

Reminds me of the deleted pit spider from the 1933 Kong!

Last edited by kaijukurt on Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

kaijukurt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:42 pm
AtomicMorningBreath wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:17 pm Hold up, there's a spider looking creature behind Kong - bottom right.

Reminds me of the deleted pit spider from the 1933 Kong!
I think the picture has been deleted too.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:45 pm I think the picture has been deleted too.

Found some working photos. :lol:

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

KingKaiju wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:26 pm Gotta be honest. I've felt like all these posters feel kind of... cheap. Although, I do like the Vs one. Where can I buy these? I’d like to get a copy of that one.
Agreed. Sometimes the models look good, but very rarely. They seem a bit low poly (Godzilla's leg in the underwater poster for example). It seems TOO crazy, Kong with an oversized head and Godzilla's constant low-poly-ness... Same issue with the KOTM posters!
Last edited by KingKong2005 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

WTF? There's absolutely nothing low poly about those new posters, do you even know what low poly means? Can you actually pinpoint any visible polygonal edges? The sheer density of triangle count here is insane as to be expected from a high end CGI render. I'm pretty sure they also used high quality tessellation on all the scoots, bumps, scales and what not for extra density. The lighting (Path tracing), shading and shadow used here are absolutely precise as each tiny surface bumps would cast self shadow due to a physically correct lighting model. As a 3d graphics enthusiast I think I know what I'm talking about.
Here's a comparison between a high end render to a low cheaply made render
High end render from GvK promotion
Cheap render from Kotm promotion
There's a world of difference in lighting precision, shadow quality, geometry density, shaders and composition.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

Last edited by Monke on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

Oh, that is COOL.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

ultrazilla wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:18 am WTF? There's absolutely nothing low poly about those new posters, do you even know what low poly means? Can you actually pinpoint any visible polygonal edges? The sheer density of triangle count here is insane as to be expected from a high end CGI render. I'm pretty sure they also used high quality tessellation on all the scoots, bumps, scales and what not for extra density. The lighting (Path tracing), shading and shadow used here are absolutely precise as each tiny surface bumps would cast self shadow due to a physically correct lighting model. As a 3d graphics enthusiast I think I know what I'm talking about.
There's a world of difference in lighting precision, shadow quality, geometry density, shaders and composition.
You missed the part where I brought up the underwater poster.
"Agreed. Sometimes the models look good, but very rarely. They seem a bit low poly (Godzilla's leg in the underwater poster for example)."

The chinese posters have been starting to use the higher poly models which are way better looking, with much better lighting and shadows. I wasn't referring to the composition of each poster, rather the actual quality of the models and the high poly counts (lighting is involved in that, you're right. If it's blatantly lighting the surface it will look like there is no detail, so this is why lighting needs to be set up carefully to highlight all the little details).

Also, this new Kong poster is literally just using a still of the 2017 Kong rather than the 2021 Kong.
Last edited by KingKong2005 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Monke wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:16 am Image
Ok, these are genuinely awesome. The framing on both is a fantastic idea. Rare to see posters like these today.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Super High Res

Last edited by GFAN198423 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

People keep talking about the spider in that Kong poster... but what about the two Warbat????

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

KingKong2005 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:45 am
ultrazilla wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:18 am WTF? There's absolutely nothing low poly about those new posters, do you even know what low poly means? Can you actually pinpoint any visible polygonal edges? The sheer density of triangle count here is insane as to be expected from a high end CGI render. I'm pretty sure they also used high quality tessellation on all the scoots, bumps, scales and what not for extra density. The lighting (Path tracing), shading and shadow used here are absolutely precise as each tiny surface bumps would cast self shadow due to a physically correct lighting model. As a 3d graphics enthusiast I think I know what I'm talking about.
You missed the part where I brought up the underwater poster.
"Agreed. Sometimes the models look good, but very rarely. They seem a bit low poly (Godzilla's leg in the underwater poster for example)."

The chinese posters have been starting to use the higher poly models which are way better looking, with much better lighting and shadows. I wasn't referring to the composition of each poster, rather the actual quality of the models and the high poly counts (lighting is involved in that, you're right. If it's blatantly lighting the surface it will look like there is no detail, so this is why lighting needs to be set up carefully to highlight all the little details).

Also, this new Kong poster is literally just using a still of the 2017 Kong rather than the 2021 Kong.
Yeah so now that we have the super high res underwater poster, tell me where exactly Godzilla's leg looks low poly? It's as consistent as rest of its body really, they only applied some motion blur which should further smooth out any edges. That poster is well and truly high poly/fidelity render alright.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »