Godzilla vs Kong General Discussion (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Godzilla vs Kong General Discussion (No Spoilers)

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

KManX89 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:57 pm *sigh* This is what I'm referring to when I say "LP/WB just can't win with these movies". I'm now 100% convinced that, no matter what they do, there's always gonna be a section of fans out there crying about "nawt enuff keijoo actyun". I screencapped one of the comments from John Campea's GvK Out of the Theater reaction video, and it just reeks of fail:

This guy has no idea how budgets or plots for kaiju movies work. He's trying to make it a black and white "one or the other" between kaiju fights and "boring humans" and just being an all-around ignoramus. First off, if it were JUST 2 hours of kaiju action, it would be plotless drivel that would get old after a while. As much as I didn't care for all the sex/dating talk in the first Cloverfield movie, if they weren't at the beginning of the film, the falling Statue of Liberty head and walking kaiju silhouette around the buildings scenes wouldn't have nearly the same impact. A kaiju movie needs both to work. Secondly, it would drive up the budget to $500+ mil if this guy had his way, and that's probably a generous estimate. The first movie cost $150m, and that was with around 20 minutes of kaiju screentime.

And sadly, this wouldn't be the first time I've seen somebody write such mindless drivel about the MV films:
Why are you letting it get to you? That's likely just a small minority of people dude. Fact remains this film will go down as the first blockbuster film in the COVID era that saved the theater industry which wouldn't surprise me because of that the kaiju genre will become more popular then before.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Found out my theater don't open till May, I thought it was this week. Oh well I'm losing any interest as watching this anyway.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Theater is suppose to open Thursday. This or Nobody?
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Happy I got to see this in theaters at least once! Actually, when I came out of the theater I heard that it was still playing on the neighbouring screen, so I ducked in and watched the last 10 minutes again!

Is it just me, or does Godzilla's flesh jiggle a bit in this? Almost makes him feel like his proper latex suit self!

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Godzilla21 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:01 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:53 pm
Godzilla21 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:46 pm

Care to elaborate a little more on this? What happened?
Dickard was ranting about how the directors of other Godzilla movies would have hated what Godzilla is now and someone proved him wrong so he immediately blocked him. He also sent his followers after people who said anything remotely positive about GvK

So essentially he threw a tantrum over people liking a movie he didnt
Ok. Sounds pretty immature
Tell me about it. I mean I don't know what he hopes to gain from doing a petty thing like that other then making people hate him. There's a difference between expressing frustration over a film you don't like and trying to start an angry mob to attack both the film and the people that love it.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

kaijuguy19 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:59 am
Godzilla21 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:01 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:53 pm
Dickard was ranting about how the directors of other Godzilla movies would have hated what Godzilla is now and someone proved him wrong so he immediately blocked him. He also sent his followers after people who said anything remotely positive about GvK

So essentially he threw a tantrum over people liking a movie he didnt
Ok. Sounds pretty immature
Tell me about it. I mean I don't know what he hopes to gain from doing a petty thing like that other then making people hate him. There's a difference between expressing frustration over a film you don't like and trying to start an angry mob to attack both the film and the people that love it.
I've come to expect immature behavior from every corner of the internet these days. I had a convo with someone the other day about King Kong 2005. I still consider it a bloated mess. He considered it a masterpiece. Its fine to disagree and be mature. To most people anyway
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

My theater is finally open and I was intending to see this but man I'm really having a hard time motivating myself to go. My interest in this universe is practically
nonexistent anymore. I know I should still probably see this at least once and would prefer it be in theaters but I don't know. Could go next weekend instead maybe. We'll see.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:04 am My theater is finally open and I was intending to see this but man I'm really having a hard time motivating myself to go. My interest in this universe is practically
nonexistent anymore. I know I should still probably see this at least once and would prefer it be in theaters but I don't know. Could go next weekend instead maybe. We'll see.
If you aren’t interested that’s ok, but you don’t have to repeatedly post how uninterested you are.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:04 am My theater is finally open and I was intending to see this but man I'm really having a hard time motivating myself to go. My interest in this universe is practically
If you're vaxxed and have time to go, I suggest going to see it at least once. My interest in GvK fell quickly after watching it once, but it's not a bad film and it has some fun moment's I think it's worth it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:10 pm
If you're vaxxed and have time to go, I suggest going to see it at least once. My interest in GvK fell quickly after watching it once, but it's not a bad film and it has some fun moment's I think it's worth it.
Well, it's a bad film if you've any interest in plot or characters. But if they're going in with the intention of turning their mind off and only care for the kaiju action, and that alone above all, then they'll get their money's worse. It's perhaps the dumbest Godzilla movie ever, but it's also the greatest Godzilla action ever. I imagine seeing those special effects on the big screen is truly something. But the warning to turn off your brain going in and acknowledging that it is a bad movie on every aspect not concerning the CGI stuff is truly valid.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I just watched The Guest. Not bad at all. If Adam gets another shot at the Monsterverse, I hope he brings the same energy as the last ten minutes of The Guest. Again, I'm really curious what the original version of the movie looked like before it got all rearranged post-KOTM.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

^ I was always weary about Wingard doing Godzilla vs Kong and I finally saw some of his stuff right before the film came out. Was genuinely pleasantly surprised by The Guest but Death Note made me go, "I don't know about this." The VHS/ABCs of Death stuff is also a little hit or miss, but that comes with anthologies.

But I did enjoy GVK and I'm fine with him doing Son of Kong or whatever it turns out to be.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

tbeasley wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:17 pm ^ I was always weary about Wingard doing Godzilla vs Kong and I finally saw some of his stuff right before the film came out. Was genuinely pleasantly surprised by The Guest but Death Note made me go, "I don't know about this." The VHS/ABCs of Death stuff is also a little hit or miss, but that comes with anthologies.
And your thoughts on 'Blair Witch'?

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:55 pm Theater is suppose to open Thursday. This or Nobody?
That depends. Do you like the Monsterverse? Do plot holes really bother you? Do you care about human characters and drama? Do you like good fast paced fights? If your answers are close to yes, no,no, and yes, then you should go see it. I love the Monsterverse, don't mind contradicting plot points and plot holes if they aren't all over the place and love good action even if it is as the expense of good human development. If you are looking for good human drama and a sensible interesting plot then I would say no.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Leviarex wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:58 pmAnd your thoughts on 'Blair Witch'?
Haven't seen that one but it's got to be better than Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

tbeasley wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:57 am
Leviarex wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:58 pmAnd your thoughts on 'Blair Witch'?
Haven't seen that one but it's got to be better than Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2.
Believe me, it is by a country mile.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

I’m kinda betting GvK’s meant to be a breather between the more serious films.

Y’know, as the crossroads of the franchise in America.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:42 pm I’m kinda betting GvK’s meant to be a breather between the more serious films.

The previous films weren't that serious though. Heck, KotM was approaching full MCU unserious as it was. If they felt we needed a breather for that, they must not think much of our mental faculties at all...

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Vakanai wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:38 pm
VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:42 pm I’m kinda betting GvK’s meant to be a breather between the more serious films.

The previous films weren't that serious though. Heck, KotM was approaching full MCU unserious as it was. If they felt we needed a breather for that, they must not think much of our mental faculties at all...
2014 was pretty serious, I’d say.

And KOTM had millions of deaths at the least worldwide, not even factoring in the natural disasters that were tearing the planet apart. Godzilla almost died. The Oxygen Destroyer permanently wrecked the ecosystem and fishing industry in the area of Isla del Mara. And even though the Titans are repairing their damage, the world’s still in ruins.

It was pretty damn serious, unlike the MCU and its lack of real consequences for its mass destruction. Hell, the Snappening was reversed.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:52 pm
Vakanai wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:38 pm

2014 was pretty serious, I’d say.

And KOTM had millions of deaths at the least worldwide, not even factoring in the natural disasters that were tearing the planet apart. Godzilla almost died. The Oxygen Destroyer permanently wrecked the ecosystem and fishing industry in the area of Isla del Mara. And even though the Titans are repairing their damage, the world’s still in ruins.

It was pretty damn serious, unlike the MCU and its lack of real consequences for its mass destruction. Hell, the Snappening was reversed.
I'm sorry, it has nothing to do with you but I'm just kind of burnt out on talking about this film. Sorry for quoting you and bringing it up.