Godzilla vs Kong General Discussion (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla vs Kong General Discussion (No Spoilers)

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Soundtrack is fully out: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NdFkF2-D4D

From what I've heard of it so far I like Bear McCreary's original music more, but it's good.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:17 pm Im genuinely confused as to why people take such issue with the human characters in this movie. I had zero issue with them in Kotm, or K:SI, or 2014. I really don't know why people think they are so bad. They really aren't. Im thinking its just because other people said they were bad.
Here's the thing with GVK's human characters. Most of them are barely necessary or underdeveloped. Personally, I think that there were either some substantial character scenes cut from GVK, or the writer(s) were spitballing ideas and didn't remove much or any of the ideas that they didn't properly develop. Ren Serizawa is the worst offender, he does so little in the film, and his father is not mentioned a single time in the movie. We don't learn a single thing about him outside of who his boss is, and what he's doing. You think he might be significant at the beginning of the movie, but he ends up being a generic lackey with maybe like 7, or 8 lines, who does something but gets written out of the film and is otherwise completely forgettable. The only stand-out about Ren Serizawa is his last name. Julian Dennison also suffers from a similar issue, but it's not as egregious or noticeable.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:31 pm Here's the thing with GVK's human characters. Most of them are barely necessary or underdeveloped. Personally, I think that there were either some substantial character scenes cut from GVK, or the writer(s) were spitballing ideas and didn't remove much or any of the ideas that they didn't properly develop. Ren Serizawa is the worst offender, he does so little in the film, and his father is not mentioned a single time in the movie. We don't learn a single thing about him outside of who his boss is, and what he's doing. You think he might be significant at the beginning of the movie, but he ends up being a generic lackey with maybe like 7, or 8 lines, who does something but gets written out of the film and is otherwise completely forgettable. The only stand-out about Ren Serizawa is his last name. Julian Dennison also suffers from a similar issue, but it's not as egregious or noticeable.
Woah. Given about how they talked about his character in the interviews, I'm pretty sure some scenes were cut.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:15 pm Soundtrack is fully out: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NdFkF2-D4D

From what I've heard of it so far I like Bear McCreary's original music more, but it's good.
Bear is just a tough act to follow. I’m still more than satisfied with what Junkie has put together though

Kongamera
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kongamera »

Ren Serizava's treatment is sad to hear. Shun Oguri is a veteran actor of Japanese film industry. I was expecting a lot from him, maybe become a recurring villain character in MV who's obsessed with wiping out Titans. Shame to hear that they didn't do anything with him.

I am reading Jessica Henwick, Danai Gurira and Zhang Ziyi scenes were cut. Wonder why add so many actors when they have trouble in properly developing even their leading characters.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Monke wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:16 am
DirektorSplennic wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:15 pm Soundtrack is fully out: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NdFkF2-D4D

Bear is just a tough act to follow. I’m still more than satisfied with what Junkie has put together though
It's not a bad score, and you can hear the influences of the genre, but as a whole album, it feels flat, everything all kind of sounds almost the same, tracks don't really stand out, there's no "feeling" from it, overall I almost feel like you could drop this score into a comic book movie and it would feel equally fitting.

I was a bit nervous about this happening when Holkenborg was announced, I love his work on Black Mass, but that's one of few scores I really enjoy from him, and with Terminator, I mainly like the times where he uses the classic theme, not so much the original stuff.

I get when people point out the use of Toho themes in King of the Monsters, but even the original stuff from McCreary is the best of the MonsterVerse in my opinion. His music captured the mythology feeling from the film very well and had tracks that really stood out and evoked feelings. When Mothra's theme rises up for her hatching, even before seeing the movie that track got fired up, the same with Godzilla's rebirth.

It takes a lot for a modern movie score to really stand out for me, too many of them feel flat and generic these days, and they serve their films well enough, but I feel like movies from the 70s, 80s and 90s treated music as almost as much of a character as any person in the film, it was a key piece, but now I feel like more often than not it comes off like sound filler.

This is my ranking of MonsterVerse scores.

1. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
2. Godzilla
3. Kong: Skull Island
4. Godzilla vs Kong

I may feel different after having visuals to associate to the tracks, but as it stands, just not very impressed with this one.
Last edited by GFAN198423 on Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

GFAN198423 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:44 am
Monke wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:16 am

It's not a bad score, and you can hear the influences of the genre, but as a whole album, it feels flat, everything all kind of sounds almost the same, tracks don't really stand out, there's no "feeling" from it, overall I almost feel like you could drop this score into a comic book movie and it would feel equally fitting.

I was a bit nervous about this happening when Holkenborg was announced, I love his work on Black Mass, but that's one of few scores I really enjoy from him, and with Terminator, I mainly like the times where he uses the classic theme, not so much the original stuff.

I get when people point out the use of Toho themes in King of the Monsters, but even the original stuff from McCreary is the best of the MonsterVerse in my opinion. His music captured the mythology feeling from the film very well and had tracks that really stood out and evoked feelings. When Mothra's theme rises up for her hatching, even before seeing the movie that track got fired up, the same with Godzilla's rebirth.

It takes a lot for a modern movie score to really stand out for me, too many of them feel flat and generic these days, and they serve their films well enough, but I feel like movies from the 70s, 80s and 90s treated music as almost as much of a character as any person in the film, it was a key piece, but now I feel like more often than not it comes off like sound filler.

This is my ranking of MonsterVerse scores.

1. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
2. Godzilla
3. Kong: Skull Island
4. Godzilla vs Kong

I may feel different after having visuals to associate to the tracks, but as it stands, just not very impressed with this one.
That's sorta my thing. The GvK ost sounds exciting, but there's not a lot of memorable motifs. Ignoring all Ifukube and Koseki music in KOTM, Bear was able to make (imo) very memorable pieces with Ghidorah's theme, Monarch's march, the "Ancient" theme (is what the booklet calls it), and the incredible Rodan track.

GvK has like two reoccurring motifs with the Godzilla and Kong's themes, but they're not even that good, with Godzilla's theme being the most generic giant monster brass *womp* theme ever, and Kong's being a little better but still kinda strange. Junkie excells at making the music exciting, but it's that generic "two steps from hell" exciting. It's obvious to me that Bear put a shit ton of more thought into his original tracks, especially with Ghidorah's theme.

Everything else from GvK looks better than KOTM though, so maybe the music will complement the scenes in an awesome way. It's not a bad ost at all, but it just doesn't feel as thought out and is that weird "aw yeah epic music" kind of exciting.

It does make for good driving music though. The ride to school today was a blast.

The Zilla in Manila
Samurai

Post by The Zilla in Manila »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:31 pm
Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:17 pm Im genuinely confused as to why people take such issue with the human characters in this movie. I had zero issue with them in Kotm, or K:SI, or 2014. I really don't know why people think they are so bad. They really aren't. Im thinking its just because other people said they were bad.
Here's the thing with GVK's human characters. Most of them are barely necessary or underdeveloped. Personally, I think that there were either some substantial character scenes cut from GVK, or the writer(s) were spitballing ideas and didn't remove much or any of the ideas that they didn't properly develop. Ren Serizawa is the worst offender, he does so little in the film, and his father is not mentioned a single time in the movie. We don't learn a single thing about him outside of who his boss is, and what he's doing. You think he might be significant at the beginning of the movie, but he ends up being a generic lackey with maybe like 7, or 8 lines, who does something but gets written out of the film and is otherwise completely forgettable. The only stand-out about Ren Serizawa is his last name. Julian Dennison also suffers from a similar issue, but it's not as egregious or noticeable.
I would not be the least bit surprised if they initially intended GVK to be a 2 hour and 15 to 20 minute film but then cut a bunch in reaction to the negative response to KOTM's human story taking too much of the run time between the monster fights.
Last edited by The Zilla in Manila on Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

"It's funny because I was sitting there with [President Barack] Obama and Leo's [DiCaprio] is talking about the environment and I'm talking about clothes. And everyone looks at me like that's not an important issue or something." - The Brain of Kanye

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:32 amThat's sorta my thing. The GvK ost sounds exciting, but there's not a lot of memorable motifs. Ignoring all Ifukube and Koseki music in KOTM, Bear was able to make (imo) very memorable pieces with Ghidorah's theme, Monarch's march, the "Ancient" theme (is what the booklet calls it), and the incredible Rodan track.

GvK has like two reoccurring motifs with the Godzilla and Kong's themes, but they're not even that good, with Godzilla's theme being the most generic giant monster brass *womp* theme ever, and Kong's being a little better but still kinda strange. Junkie excells at making the music exciting, but it's that generic "two steps from hell" exciting. It's obvious to me that Bear put a poop ton of more thought into his original tracks, especially with Ghidorah's theme.

Everything else from GvK looks better than KOTM though, so maybe the music will complement the scenes in an awesome way. It's not a bad ost at all, but it just doesn't feel as thought out and is that weird "aw yeah epic music" kind of exciting.

It does make for good driving music though. The ride to school today was a blast.
Like I said, it's not bad, I didn't listen to it and go, oh man, this is awful, I can't stand it, it just didn't build up any reaction from me. I listened to KOTM before seeing the movie and it got me picturing scenes and thinking what must be going on because of the sound. With this one, I can't distinguish sounds to think like, this is a tender moment, this is a big action piece, it all sounds like constant action and as much as it sounds good as a monster score, it could be for Transformers or Fast and Furious or super heroes just as easily. It doesn't have a unique identity. I can't even really pluck out favorite tracks to add to my MonsterVerse favorites playlist yet.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Kongamera wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:23 am Ren Serizava's treatment is sad to hear. Shun Oguri is a veteran actor of Japanese film industry. I was expecting a lot from him, maybe become a recurring villain character in MV who's obsessed with wiping out Titans. Shame to hear that they didn't do anything with him.

I am reading Jessica Henwick, Danai Gurira and Zhang Ziyi scenes were cut. Wonder why add so many actors when they have trouble in properly developing even their leading characters.
Not gonna lie, I was alil disappointed when I heard this was going to be the shortest MonsterVerse movie. Even though 1 hour 53 minutes is right around the average length for these types of blockbuster films, it definitely sounds like it could have benefited from an extra 5-10 minutes to round out the characters abit. Especially with the potential they had by introducing Serizawa's son into the franchise. And so much for Zhang Ziyi's Dr. Chen playing a "major role" in the MonsterVerse.

I'm still super excited though.
Last edited by AtomicMorningBreath on Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah just grabbed the OST. Liked the two tracks released the other day. Curious to hear the rest.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

merio
GPN Volunteer

Post by merio »

Yo is there a thread to talk about spoilers? I just came back from watching the movie and I kinda wanna discuss about some details.
he/him 17

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

merio wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:03 am Yo is there a thread to talk about spoilers? I just came back from watching the movie and I kinda wanna discuss about some details.
I think the rumor thread is currently being used as a general spoiler thread.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

merio wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:03 am Yo is there a thread to talk about spoilers? I just came back from watching the movie and I kinda wanna discuss about some details.
Yeah come on over to the rumour thread (spoilers)!!

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

This was posted on other thread but Chris Stuckman gave Godzilla vs Kong a positive review.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

So apparently SnyderVerse fans are review bombing the movie for some stupid reason.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:30 pm So apparently SnyderVerse fans are review bombing the movie for some stupid reason.
I want too see how those fricking losers are gonna respond to The Batman since it ain't Ben Affleck or any other DC film for that matter. They seriously suck.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:44 pm
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:30 pm So apparently SnyderVerse fans are review bombing the movie for some stupid reason.
I want too see how those fricking losers are gonna respond to The Batman since it ain't Ben Affleck or any other DC film for that matter. They seriously suck.
Considering the fact that a completely unconnected Monster film made by the same damn companies managed to rile them to this extent I'm honestly afraid to imagine what the fact of someone other than Affleck playing Batman will do.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Crap. It's been pushed back to the April 29th here in Brazil. It had been pushed up to March 24th, and even when the US pushed it back to March 31, it stayed at the 24th. Then at the beginning of March, the COVID crisis got so bad it got pushed back to April 1st when the São Paulo went on lockdown. Then it got pushed back to April 8th when the lockdown was extended by a week. Now the lockdown has been extended to the 11th and Cinemark pushed it back to April 29th.

And HBO Max won't even be a thing in Brazil until June.
Last edited by H-Man on Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

So the official review embargo is tomorrow?