What other directions can the monsterverse go?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
KingKaiju
Futurian

What other directions can the monsterverse go?

Post by KingKaiju »

So let’s say that, hypothetically, Godzilla vs. Kong comes out is a $700m-$800m film. It kills it at the box office. Legendary decides to continue the monsterverse and renew their license with Toho. Where do they go from there? Currently, their big stars are Godzilla and Kong, and we saw in their most recent outing that even the coolest of the Godzilla roster won’t draw enough people in. Obviously there’s a lot more to that but still.

So, now we have a world where Kaiju are just roaming free. How does Legendary keep this series moving without repeating the same things over and over again. I have a hard time seeing any single titan movies, not names Godzilla or Kong, that would attract the necessary amount of eyeballs to the theaters, unless it’s something very different. I wonder if a mecha movie would work, similar to pacific rim, where humans go around trying to exterminate the titans. Or should legendary just stick to making more Godzilla and Kong sequels? taking those characters in different directions.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Re: What other directions can the monsterverse go?

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Well for one thing they can always bring back some of WB's own library of monsters such as Them.Ymir,Rhedosaurus and even Gorgo if they wanted to and include them as part of the Monsterverse.

There's also a potential Monarch series on HBOMax which deals with exploring Megafauna and Titans around the world after the fallout of KOTM. Think Lost Tapes meets Agents of SHIELD.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I want more films like Kong: Skull Island - stylistic blockbusters echoing different film genres inter-spliced with kaiju. Add in a lot more focus on international cooperation (read: not just military power) and you’ve got my ideal type of kaiju film.

A political thriller with kaiju or a satirical comedy would be unique. It will never happen and the closest we’d get would be more war-focused films like KSI but it’s what I’d want out of the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly hope if it continues, they focus on new monsters than revamped old ones. Making new characters are the series's greatest strength.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Would like to see more mystical/mythical and sci-fi themed movies.

Also along with new Titans, more of Toho's monsters and WB's like Rhedosaurus.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I'd love to see other non-Toho monsters brought into the fold from all corners of the globe. Gorgo, The Rhedosaurus, Yonggary, Daimajin, Gappa, Gamera...the list goes on.

Give us the Godzilla crossovers we've craved.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

A horror thriller based on the Meganurons or something similar would be pretty cool. Have them being dormant in the earth only to hatch when Rodan escaped from the volcano. Kinda a reverse of the original Rodan.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I honestly don't know what I want anymore.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Mechagodzilla
Destroyah

NBG2
Samurai

Post by NBG2 »

Away..

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

NBG2 wrote:Away..
Okay not gonna lie this made me laugh. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

NBG2
Samurai

Post by NBG2 »

tyrantgoji wrote:
NBG2 wrote:Away..
Okay not gonna lie this made me laugh. :lol:
That was the point. Lol