Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Post by kaijuguy19 »

I know what I'm positing is going to risk flame wars and what not but after how a lot of people turned against RT for the score it gave KOTM when it came out and how people now look at the movie since then was Rotten Tomatoes right into giving it the bad score that did this whole time or do you think it was at least too harsh on it?

I mean this isn't the first time Rotten Tomatoes caused conflict with critics and regular moviegoers either for a lot of reasons either. Star Wars and Captain Marvel being a good example of this.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Post by Dr. Professor »

I mean there's not really any right or wrong to it. It's just the percentage of critics on the website who liked the movie. We can't really say that RT made the wrong decision by telling us that percentage.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

If the film had a positive score would this thread exist?

I think people take RT percentages too seriously and need it as some form of validation.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

In the end its a matter of opinions for those.

I don't think any scores for movie reviews is "right". If people enjoys a film they enjoy it, if they don't they don't.

That said if I had to be honest with my opinion on KotM. I'd only recommend it for hardcore Godzilla fans or fans of the kaiju genre as a whole (Given some users stated there's people they know that aren't into Godzilla or kaiju but still enjoyed the film) otherwise GA won't get much out from the story or characters. Given I'm one of those hardcore Godzilla fanboys its no wonder I love the film.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I mean it depends on preferences. If they thought the film was bad,then they were gonna give it the score it got. If you liked it,then the score might seem harsh. If you thought the film was bad too,then you almost certainly agree with them.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Who cares?

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

2 ROTTEN 2 FRESH
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Fish Cakes wrote:2 ROTTEN 2 FRESH
Is this the new Fast and Furious film?

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Well it isn't so much Rottentomatoes that gave it a bad score, but rather the individual critics giving it bad reviews that resulted in a negative score.

I mean to each his own. Its all opinions anyway.

What I will say is that this year, the critics were generally kinder to movies I thought were weaker than their RT scores (Captain Marvel, Detective Pikachu, It Chapter 2, etc.) and bashed Godzilla and Rambo which I thought were much better than all of those. So I guess I'm on a different wavelength.
Last edited by GojiDog on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think people are starting to flock to Letterboxd, they have a much nicer looking rating system.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Should’ve gotten lower just for the entertainment factor of it all. Imagine the absolute pandemonium and anarchy this place would subject itself to if it got a 10% or something.
Long Live The King

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Hokmuto wrote:Should’ve gotten lower just for the entertainment factor of it all. Imagine the absolute pandemonium and anarchy this place would subject itself to if it got a 10% or something.
I'd rather not risk the site exploding thank you.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Do it. Burn it all down!!!

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

no reason to seek validation in a critic review website

you like the movie go and watch it, nobody is forbidding you to do so and you shouldn't feel bad about liking it

source: a Dune '84 and an Alien3 fan
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Omegamorph wrote:and an Alien3 fan
I knew there were more of us!

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Omegamorph wrote:and an Alien3 fan
I knew there were more of us!
Amen to that brother
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Omegamorph wrote:Dune '84
Woo! Dune is great!

But yeah, I don't think people even really understand the usefulness of RT. I use it mainly to just make sure something isn't a train wreck, like if it has 25<%. If I hear a movie has like 80%+ I'll admit I'm more inclined to watch it, or at least check it out. Beyond that, anything in the middle, is fair game. It's a good way of garnishing consensus though, among critics. People make a mistake of reading it as a report card, rather then realizing it just means X% of critics Liked it. It's also useful, when you compare and see a trend, amongst other review sites, such as IMDB, and MetaCritic, which have a different system and tools.

And if you want a reason why audience scores are kind of irrelevant, most big franchises will have fans, or haters, who will actively go out of their way to rate up or down vote whatever they like, because they are the ones passionate enough to visit a review site to post whatever to begin with. And additionally, everyone tends to have their own mental rating scale of how they view movies, where in some people are inclined to give like an 8 or 9 to a movie that they simply enjoyed.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Rotten Tomatoes didn't give it anything though.

But, yes and no. Based on the kind of comments I saw, I've come to the conclusion that people are idiots, and have no clue how any of these things work. On the flip side, I think it fired up a lot of fans. But more so than RT, I just think Legendary and WB overestimated how big of a pull this movie was going to have.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Rotten Tomatoes is just tool, and it only divides between a positive or negative score. So any movie where there is lots of grey area on the reviews are going come out a bit odd based on their scaling. You can look at it and get an idea of how a movie was received over all, but it is far for a definitive score. It can also be manipulated, so always take score with a grain of salt until you can look at the information yourself.

Same thing goes with any site that tries to add up scores.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Everything is opinion based so yeah they were right to give it the score they felt it deserved based on their view of the film.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image