KOTM Extended Footage

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: KOTM Extended Footage

Post by _JNavs_ »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Smuggers wrote:Watching that test footage is like seeing the actual movie KOTM was edited down from.
Spot on, just flows much better.
Yeah the test definitely feels closer to G14 in terms of cinematography.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Those are Giant Claw vocalizations in the test footage
But yeah, it definitely seems to flow better than the version we saw in the final film; not nearly as many of the incessant cutbacks to the main cast as in the finished film, and there's some cool shots that didn't make the final cut (Rodan going under and behind a lone fighter while the camera tracks the fighter going over his back stands out). What happened?
Last edited by G2000 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

G2000 wrote: (Rodan going under and behind a lone fighter while the camera tracks the fighter going over his back stands out). What happened?
Aw that pisses me off. That's the kind of dynamic camera work I thought the film was missing.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

G2000 wrote:What happened?
I get the impression that they were so pressed to get the runtime down that on top of the obvious thing of entire scenes being cut, a bunch of sequences that are still in the film were probably edited down like this.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

I can't believe they got rid of the maser/ice missile scene though. It was epic and showed the humans actually doing something!
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Honestly, if almost every scene in this movie suffered from stuff like this, no wonder it felt so weirdly rushed and paced
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

ManuJM1997 wrote:Honestly, if almost every scene in this movie suffered from stuff like this, no wonder it felt so weirdly rushed and paced
When I first watched the movie I definitely got the sense a lot was chopped. I think we have a clear answer why the pacing is so ass.
Last edited by Orichalcum on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

hopefully more behemoth but I doubt it.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

At least Sonic knows what he wants

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GuardianGhido wrote:I can't believe they got rid of the maser/ice missile scene though. It was epic and showed the humans actually doing something!
Wait WHAT?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Does anyone know if Santo Domingo (Rodan's island in the previs) is an actual place or made up like Isla de Mara?
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Does anyone know is Santo Domingo (Rodan's island in the previs) is an actual place or made up like Isla de Mara?
Just google it lol
Santo Domingo IRL is the capital of the Dominican Republic, I don't think the geography quite works out though (there doesn't seem to be any volcanoes, or indeed any mountains at all, visible nearby; there are no active volcanoes in the Dominican Republic)
Last edited by G2000 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Also, the placeholder theme has the same french horns as the final version does.

Added in 2 minutes 18 seconds:
G2000 wrote:(Rodan going under and behind a lone fighter while the camera tracks the fighter going over his back)
Do you mean the shot where the jet flies from the front to behind Rodan and fires the ice missiles at his back?

Added in 3 minutes 44 seconds:
In the Rodan test footage, Ghidorah seems to have barbels like Asian dragons.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Also, the placeholder theme has the same french horns as the final version does.

Added in 2 minutes 18 seconds:
G2000 wrote:(Rodan going under and behind a lone fighter while the camera tracks the fighter going over his back)
Do you mean the shot where the jet flies from the front to behind Rodan and fires the ice missiles at his back?

Added in 3 minutes 44 seconds:
In the Rodan test footage, Ghidorah seems to have barbels like Asian dragons.
Ice missiles? I think that's just placeholder VFX for regular Sidewinders\

But yes, Ghidorah does have barbels

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Am I the only one who noticed the horns?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Makes me wonder what was cut from the final battle, there's gotta be some test footage that was framed better.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Makes me wonder what was cut from the final battle, there's gotta be some test footage that was framed better.
Honestly, I hope one of the previs artists (the upload I first saw of the Rodan previs was uploaded by Rpin, an animator credited in the video) uploads the bowing previs and there's more Titans.
(My hunger for more Titans will never be satiated)

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

They really should have included the previs stuff on the Blu-Ray, odd that they didn’t

In any case it doesn’t seem like the comic relief characters were present in the previs footage for whatever reason, maybe they were added later?

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

G2000 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:I can't believe they got rid of the maser/ice missile scene though. It was epic and showed the humans actually doing something!
Wait WHAT?
Ice missiles? I think that's just placeholder VFX for regular Sidewinders\
Then why were they colored blue? They could have just made them yellow or something. and

There's also the fact that those blasts were fired from official Monarch squadron jets which would probably be equipped to deal with or at least affect Titans? I'm pretty sure Monarch would figure that Ice Missiles or Freeze Masers (they have regular masers, nothing's impossible now) would be effective against a bio-volcanic Titan, at least to hinder him if not damage him. Plus Rodan definitely reacted to this attack by barrel rolling to wipe out all the jets quickly, perhaps finally taking his "opponents" seriously.

It was all part of test footage anyway, I'm not surprised that they removed any traces of unconventional weaponry, only giving us a tease with the masers of Castle Bravo (I would have loved a scene of them firing at Godzilla to no avail and then Godzilla just trashing them with a few claw swipes before "knocking" on the blast shields, prompting the Monarch crew to open them up and let him in) and the mockery of a clusterskreeonk that was the Oxygen Destroyer.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

any new behemoth footage?