Godzilla vs Kong! Who should win at the end?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Godzilla vs Kong! Who should win at the end?

GODZILLA
68%
KING KONG
23%
I want to see a draw!
9%

Total votes: 74

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla vs Kong! Who should win at the end?

Post by The Octopus »

Its boring when Goliath beats David, The Hare beats the Tortoise, Drago beats Rocky, and the Soviet Red Army beats the U.S Olympic hockey team.
Last edited by The Octopus on Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Its boring when Goliath beats David, The Hare beats the Tortoise, Drago beats Rocky, and the Soviet Red Army beats the U.S Olympic hockey team.
Usually it's the opposite though. Underdogs losing is something we don't see everday. (Forgive me if I whooshed on a joke)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

When the underdog wins almost every time it becomes predictable and boring. See the KWC in recent times for an example
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

gottatalktothefake wrote:When the underdog wins almost every time it becomes predictable and boring. See the KWC in recent times for an example
eh, i'm only planning one match with that idea, and the underdog's win in a way that should make some type of sense. probably will never do it again.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

gottatalktothefake wrote:When the underdog wins almost every time it becomes predictable and boring. See the KWC in recent times for an example
Roughly my thoughts. I’m not into subversion for subversion’s sake, but let’s be honest: everyone expects the underdog to win. You can argue that the real thrill is seeing how the underdog manages to succeed against overwhelming odds, but we’ve already seen Kong triumph against the overwhelming might of Godzilla; it would be nice to see Godzilla win in their second go-round. I know that different and unexpected =/= good, but some variety would be nice for a change.

Please note I’m not arguing for Godzilla to just completely curbstomp Kong; I would definitely prefer to see a fight where Kong manages to hold his own against Godzilla, but Godzilla manages to win only by the skin of his teeth.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

G2000 wrote:
Roughly my thoughts. I’m not into subversion for subversion’s sake, but let’s be honest: everyone expects the underdog to win. You can argue that the real thrill is seeing how the underdog manages to succeed against overwhelming odds, but we’ve already seen Kong triumph against the overwhelming might of Godzilla; it would be nice to see Godzilla win in their second go-round. I know that different and unexpected =/= good, but some variety would be nice for a change.

Please note I’m not arguing for Godzilla to just completely curbstomp Kong; I would definitely prefer to see a fight where Kong manages to hold his own against Godzilla, but Godzilla manages to win only by the skin of his teeth.
This. Honestly, everyone expects Kong to win EXACTLY because he's the underdog (even those that believe Godzilla should). This is literally what happened in every other Kong movie- he faces a large and vicious reptilian foe that outclasses him, but he manages to defeat it anyway- which applies to the origina KKvG too.
While in the end of the day I don't care who wins, an ending where Kong DOES put up a fight but Godzilla defeats him in a way that doesn't feel biased in his favor would be perfect and a nice shake-up to the formula.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

My gut is telling me for some reason Godzilla will win. People expects Kong and I feel Legendary is gonna pull off a surprise.

I like Kong almost as much as Godzilla and would love for it to be a draw but given the point of the title and premise there needs to be a clear winner and given Kong won nearly 60 years ago I think its only fair Godzilla has his turn this time to win. All I can hope is it isn't through death especially assuming the MonsterVerse continues at that point.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

The problem is everybody is saying that Godzilla will win and Kong doesn't stand a chance. Not just everyone on the Internet but poeple in my everyday life (who have an interests in this anyway). Heck people associated with the films say the same thing.

Kyle Chandler
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/ent ... 370042002/

O'Shea Jackson
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/247237 ... jackson-jr

So having the favorite beat down the underdog in my opinion would be pointless.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:The problem is everybody is saying that Godzilla will win and Kong doesn't stand a chance. Not just everyone on the Internet but poeple in my everyday life (who have an interests in this anyway). Heck people associated with the films say the same thing.

Kyle Chandler

O'Shea Jackson

That's the thing, everyone just expects the bigger stronger and more powerful opponent to win over the little underdog, but then GASP, the underdog wins and surprises everyone. It's so cliche. A good fight sure, but having the underdog outright win gets a little boring. I'd rather Godzilla wins, but we still get a good showing from Kong.

(Rocky handled this very well, the underdog lost, but went down with a great fight that felt a lot like a victory for both)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Shhh! The Octopus wrote:The problem is everybody is saying that Godzilla will win and Kong doesn't stand a chance. Not just everyone on the Internet but poeple in my everyday life (who have an interests in this anyway). Heck people associated with the films say the same thing.

Kyle Chandler

O'Shea Jackson

That's the thing, everyone just expects the bigger stronger and more powerful opponent to win over the little underdog, but then GASP, the underdog wins and surprises everyone. It's so cliche. A good fight sure, but having the underdog outright win gets a little boring. I'd rather Godzilla wins, but we still get a good showing from Kong.

(Rocky handled this very well, the underdog lost, but went down with a great fight that felt a lot like a victory for both)
Percisely. There are two layers of predictability here, and honestly the ideal approach would be to somehow twist them both- Kong does better than anyone ever expected him to and actually delivers a smackdown on Godzilla during the 2nd fight, but Godzilla eventually comes out on top due to his numerous abilities and sheer experience- and perhaps sparing Kong. There's a clear winner, but both monsters get an appropriate amount of respect.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

GuardianGhido wrote:I'd rather Godzilla wins, but we still get a good showing from Kong.
You're just saying that because you're a Godzilla fan. If Kong was the heavy favorite in the fight you would be saying the opposite.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:I'd rather Godzilla wins, but we still get a good showing from Kong.
You're just saying that because you're a Godzilla fan. If Kong was the heavy favorite in the fight you would be saying the opposite.
I like Godzilla and Kong equally but I agree with Ghido.
GO GO GOJI KUN

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I change my vote to just be good fight(s) and a good movie. That's all that should really matter.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

It seems to be clear what the fans want to see. :mrgreen:
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

At the end? Well I’m one of those people who thinks they’re going to team up and fight a larger threat, but I do think there will be a winner between Godzilla and Kong earlier in the film. And honestly? It’s whoever they’re pitching as the underdog (yes, I do believe there will be an underdog), and that’s gotta be Kong.

That’s probably how it should be, too. I want Godzilla to be the more powerful of the two (atomic powers, claws, tail, better armor, harder to knock down, arms almost as strong as Kong’s). I want to see him asserting his role as King of the Monsters, strutting around with absolute power on the Earth. When Rocky faces an opponent who’s physically superior, that guy also has more wealth and status in general. Kong should be Rocky. So what I ultimately want to see is a fight where Godzilla loses, while still maintaining his status as the physically superior being. Make Kong win in a clever way.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

LockBite wrote:At the end? Well I’m one of those people who thinks they’re going to team up and fight a larger threat, but I do think there will be a winner between Godzilla and Kong earlier in the film. And honestly? It’s whoever they’re pitching as the underdog (yes, I do believe there will be an underdog), and that’s gotta be Kong.

That’s probably how it should be, too. I want Godzilla to be the more powerful of the two (atomic powers, claws, tail, better armor, harder to knock down, arms almost as strong as Kong’s). I want to see him asserting his role as King of the Monsters, strutting around with absolute power on the Earth. When Rocky faces an opponent who’s physically superior, that guy also has more wealth and status in general. Kong should be Rocky. So what I ultimately want to see is a fight where Godzilla loses, while still maintaining his status as the physically superior being. Make Kong win in a clever way.
Ah but remember Rocky lost in the first movie and it's still considered the best by most.
Last edited by JesstrK on Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Everyone saying Kong winning is predictable. Know what would be predictable? Draw, with no tie breaking match.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Godzilla. I love Kong, but he already won round 1.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

If Godzilla actually managed to kill Kong, people would lose their sh¡t. :lol:
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

WATCH THE MONKEY GET HURT
MON-KEY
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST