KOTM: The Positives

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: KOTM: The Positives

Post by BlankAccount »

Julia Bristow wrote: 2. The new monsters (I refuse to call these monsters TITANS, I mean what's wrong with using the word monster or kaiju in the MONSTERverse films anyways)

I hated the name Monsterverse, would have prefer Kaijuverse. And I hate the excuse people make up we can't say kaiju cause Pacific Rim. Well now that just further cements their misunderstanding it was made up for that movie and not a real world.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

gottatalktothefake wrote:The new BoC song rendition is incredible. I listen to it almost daily
I agree actually. I know that cover has got a lot of hate but it’s my preferred version.

And yes I think Stomp Feet didn’t mean literally she was only there to be a power up. He was using some exaggeration. Point being though he’s not super far off the mark and I appreciate the comedic summary he provided.

I’d also like to add that I think this is the best Rodan we’ve gotten since 64 even if I miss his old roar and his one seems to sadly be lacking in the honor department. I think Showa Rodan would sooner die than bow.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I added 2019 Godzilla song to my workout playlist.

It works beautifully!
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

coming back to this,i will say the fight scenes were better than 2014...that's not really saying much for me though because 2014 had some of the most boring kaiju fights ever put to film imo. i'd say the ones in Skull Island,Pacific Rim, and even the ones in Uprising were more entertaining,but i digress.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I disagree entirely, Godzilla 2014 excelled in its kaiju battles and made them convincing and very animalistic, GKOTM's battles were a cluttered boring mess
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Gothra
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gothra »

Did people here dislike the movie enough for there to be a thread like this? Kind of surprised, I thought it was pretty close to perfect for the type of Godzilla movie it was trying to be and has some of the best visuals in the whole franchise. Oh well, it's all subjective I guess.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

MosuraYa wrote:Did people here dislike the movie enough for there to be a thread like this? Kind of surprised, I thought it was pretty close to perfect for the type of Godzilla movie it was trying to be and has some of the best visuals in the whole franchise. Oh well, it's all subjective I guess.
Read through the complaints thread

While there's certainly some nitpicks, there's a lot of decent criticisms that can't be ignored
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

Gothra
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gothra »

Stump Feet wrote:
MosuraYa wrote:Did people here dislike the movie enough for there to be a thread like this? Kind of surprised, I thought it was pretty close to perfect for the type of Godzilla movie it was trying to be and has some of the best visuals in the whole franchise. Oh well, it's all subjective I guess.

While there's certainly some nitpicks, there's a lot of decent criticisms that can't be ignored
I scanned through it, most of it seems pretty subjective to me, which is 100% valid, no one's wrong for disliking it or having problems with it. I'm just kind of surprised is all, considering it's clearly very Showa inspired and that era's popularity here. I have my own nitpicks, but nothing that hampers my enjoyment of it. But I also believe that objectivity and art are incompatible ideas.
Last edited by Gothra on Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

MosuraYa wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:

I scanned through it, most of it seems pretty subjective to me, which is 100% valid, no one's wrong for disliking it or having problems with it. I'm just kind of surprised is all, considering it's clearly very Showa inspired and that era's popularity here. I have my own nitpicks, but nothing that hampers my enjoyment of it. But I also believe that objectivity and art are incompatible ideas.
I loved it both times I watched it, plenty of others did too. While some complaints such as the OD usage are 100% valid, like you said most of it is just subjective. What someone may dislike in the film, someone else may have thoroughly enjoyed.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Like the pacing?
Long Live The Sting

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Enjoyed the pacing, film felt much longer than it actually was. People tend to completely dismiss the human side of the film (as per usual), but there was definitely some quality performances that really shined in the second half. Yes the third act fell shorter than the other 2 acts, but it still had strong compelling scenes that really invoked the idea of an incoming apocalypse.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gothra
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gothra »

_JNavs_ wrote:
MosuraYa wrote:
Stump Feet wrote: Read through the complaints thread

I loved it both times I watched it, plenty of others did too. While some complaints such as the OD usage are 100% valid, like you said most of it is just subjective. What someone may dislike in the film, someone else may have thoroughly enjoyed.
Definitely! Like I said, not implying anyone's wrong in criticizing or disliking it. The name of the thread just seems to imply widespread or even majority disdain and I was curious about that.
Stump Feet wrote:Like the pacing?
I liked the pacing, I felt like it maintained the excitement for the entire duration of the film and conveyed the frantic, desperate nature of the situation. I can see why it might be exhausting to some, but I never felt like it reached the extremes of something like Final Wars.
_JNavs_ wrote:Enjoyed the pacing, film felt much longer than it actually was. People tend to completely dismiss the human side of the film (as per usual), but there was definitely some quality performances that really shined in the second half. Yes the third act fell shorter than the other 2 acts, but it still had strong compelling scenes that really invoked the idea of an incoming apocalypse.
I agree about the performances, very emotive. Felt like these were some of the stronger characters in the Godzilla franchise and definitely some of the most convincing drama.
Last edited by Gothra on Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Liked:
-The Intro scene with the Mothra Larva. It was cool seeing a smaller monster interact with people, and effectively made me briefly feel something for the monsters; an aspect that the rest of the film lacked. It was also one of the few brief moments that we get actual characterization, in regards to Maddie`s quick action. When Charles Dance enters, the scene is also legitimately frightening, and doesn't come off as cartoony as the later parts of the film. IMO, a perfect scene at quickly establishing characters, a villain, and a reason to care about the monsters.

-Mark and the Wolves: minor, but I pointed out in another thread, that this was one of the few scenes that felt natural and not like a complete CGI fest. I'm going off the top of my head, but I also think it's one of the best shot scenes in the film.

-Godzilla and Castle Bravo: Legitimately tense scene, that shows Godzilla in a way that the Toho films could never really capture (swimming, without looking horrible). It does a good job at reintroducing Godzilla, and the whole thing is just done really well. Sitting in the theater, I could not help but actually feel like I was there observes in that scene.

-King Ghidorah awakening: I'm not talking about the confusing mess that occurs after, but I do like how KG`s heads wind out and emerge from the ice. There was something legitimately sinister about it, without making it overtly 'epic'; something that the film beats to death.

-Rodan`s flying sequence: I wish there was more destruction to the city/village, but I really did love Rodan chasing the fighter jets. There was a great sense of chaos and fear. In addition, it was one of the better lit sequences in the movie (not just a dark enclosed space). Shots of military jets and people being eaten, are one of the few moments where the film`s monsters felt tangible.

Note that all of this, occurs in the first half. I do think the instant that the film introduces the oxygen destroyer, the film explodes and becomes exponentially stupid.

Undersea Kingdom: One of the few original ideas that the film had. A really creative and unique setting for a Godzilla film, something that has not been done prior. Unfortunately, they do dick all with it, and proceed to blow it up. What a shame. It was cool in concept though.

-Serizawa touching Godzilla: If you completely ignore the context of the scene (Serizawa using a nuclear weapon for good in a Godzilla film, and that it`s a bizarre out of left field way of killing off one of the few decent characters in the series) the way Serizawa climbs up the stairs with the lava flowing in the background is legitimately well-done.

-Many, many minor things with KG: I stated this eons ago on the forum, but a CGI Ghidorah to me was always one of the few monsters that would really benefit from CGI. Brief moments, like Ghidorah`s necks dodging Godzilla`s beam, or having his heads stuck to the building while the other head looks on in fear is great. Same for things like how he gets a regenerative power(doesn`t feel out of place considering he is based partially on a hydra). I do also like how Ghidorah has an explicit tie to electricity, and love how he bites into a transformer to basically get a power-up. Ghidorah was clearly the best part of the movie, and the monster that they put the most love into.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

- Godzilla's glowing dorsal plates

- Ghidorah's entrance rising out of the hole

- The beautiful cinematography of Godzilla's temple.

- Godzilla's theme music!

- Rodan rising out of the volcano.

- The shot of Godzilla arriving in Boston with the ships sailing by his legs

- Even though they didn't do anything at all, the concept of humanity backing Godzilla up

- Rodan vs. the military in Mexico

- The bowing scene, needed more Titans though

- Scylla, liked her more than any of the other Titans

- Mothra cries!

That's all I got for now until I rewatch the movie
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Long Live The Sting

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I haven't been in this subforum much in the last few weeks, so I don't know what the general tone of conversation looks like right now, but yes, at the time I made this thread there was a pretty substantial amount of dislike going around. I think a 'complaints' thread was already in place, or at least was inevitable, so I figured we should have a thread like this as a counterpoint.

Also, 'the positives' and 'the negatives' threads are common around here. We have one of each for post-91 Heisei, for example, and I think G14 has at least one of each.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

I liked Mothra and Ghidorah's redesigns a lot visually.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Eh, Mothra looked way too much like the Male MUTO for it to not be touched upon.
Long Live The Sting

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

Stump Feet wrote:Eh, Mothra looked way too much like the Male MUTO for it to not be touched upon.
I agree, but I still really liked that look oddly enough. It's weird.

Rodan and Godzilla looked more or less the same as usual (well, compared to 2014 for the latter.)
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Let's see...

-Rodan's design was damn near perfect and it's arguably the best look he's ever had. The molten rock texture of his skin and the ember trail he leaves behind were great additions. Also, I liked that he ate a person during the jet battle.

-Mothra's larva stage looked good and it was about time someone updated the look. Mothra's adult form looked good and I'm glad that she got very physical in battle. The mantis claws, giant stinger, and still having the ability to spit silk were good. Plus I very much enjoy the fact that she beat Rodan.

-King Ghidorah's serpentine mannerisms fit perfectly with the devil theme they were going for. I enjoyed that each head had their own personality and you know what? I like that the "Kevin" jokes annoy some people. Overall I think this is the best Ghidorah we've gotten on screen and I'm not even a huge Ghidorah fan.

-I find it amusing that the MUTO now have more film appearances than Space Godzilla.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Dracosaurian wrote:

-I find it amusing that the MUTO now have more film appearances than Space Godzilla.
And Titanosaurs, and Megalon, and Biollante, and Battra, and-