KOTM: The Positives

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Re: KOTM: The Positives

Post by Julia Bristow »

1. The designs for Godzilla, Rodan and King Ghidorah
2. The new monsters (I refuse to call these monsters TITANS, I mean what's wrong with using the word monster or kaiju in the MONSTERverse films anyways)
3. Bear McCreary's music (though I'd rather have heard Blue Oyster Cult's Go Godzilla song than some lame cover)
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

1: Behemoth. need i say more?
2: the other monsters look really well done.
3: Bear is certainly on top spot for best music in a Goji film
4: the sacrifice scene and Serizawa in general

that's honestly it for me. everything the film nails it NAILS... but everything it fails,it fails hard.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

tyrantgoji wrote:Bear is certainly on top spot for best music in a Goji film
A top spot or the top spot?
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Dr. Professor wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:Bear is certainly on top spot for best music in a Goji film
A top spot or the top spot?
A top spot. he's got what it takes to get to THE top though!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

I consider him the second best next to Ifukube himself

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

That's going a little too far in my opinion, Masaru composed a number of amazing scores in his own right, he's easily my #2
Last edited by Stump Feet on Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

As much as I loved the score for this, Ifukube, Otani, and Oshima all did better work in my opinion.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

I... got a lot to say.

- The monsters, by far, have so much personality to each of them. From Godzilla’s stoic nature to Rodan’s total jackass nature and Mothra’s graceful and loyal presence. Don’t even get me started on King Ghidorah, considering how much his heads interacted. These feel like the definitive version of the characters for me, and I loved every second they were on screen.
- The humans were a huge improvement from 2014. I didn’t think they were that bad, tbh. They had funny moments and had fun dynamics. Of course, Serizawa stole the show every time he was on screen. You can’t beat Watanabe’s performance.
- THE MUSIC. Man, every monster’s theme was just so good with how they blend it into the action. Also, I friggin love the BOC cover theme. That is just my jam at this point.
- The action. The monster fighting was as creative and brutal as ever, letting the CG do new things the monsters couldn’t normally do. While the human perspective was divisive, I still loved whenever the action went down.
- The original monsters I thought were great. Small parts, yes, but the fact that they all got a resonant reaction and a tiny fan base says a lot for their overall appearance.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Maritonic wrote:As much as I loved the score for this, Ifukube, Otani, and Oshima all did better work in my opinion.
Full heatedly agree, especially with Oshima

Otani's good too, GGOTU is probably my favorite of his works, GMK being my second favorite of his.

McCreary was good, but his work in no way compares to the legends.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Long Live The Sting

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Stump Feet wrote:
Maritonic wrote:As much as I loved the score for this, Ifukube, Otani, and Oshima all did better work in my opinion.

Otani's good too, GGOTU is probably my favorite of his works, GMK being my second favorite of his.

I dunno, sure he might not exactly be on the level of the legends themselves, but I think he still did a great job that comes close. I say he might not exceed them, but his work isn't just incomparably inferior either. (And opinions can vary. I find his the 2nd best after Ifukube.)
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:

I dunno, sure he might not exactly be on the level of the legends themselves, but I think he still did a great job that comes close. (And opinions can vary. I find his the 2nd best after Ifukube.)
Yeah, I mean. He did a good job. But I can't conjure up any of his cues in my mind the way I can with the musicians I named. Again, he was great. I really enjoyed his music. I just think if we're going to compare to other composers, his score ranks middle or lower.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

At the very least, Bear McCreary delivered a score I'd say was definitely the best of the American Godzilla films (and I liked Desplat's score), and one of the top ten in the franchise as a whole. Ifukube is hard to compete against in this realm, and there have been other greats as well (Oshima, Otani, etc.) but I think Bear's score fits right in with Godzilla's musical legacy like a glove.

As for the monsters, I'd say this film gave me what might be my favorite version of King Ghidorah, the Legendary Godzilla is probably my favorite "hero" Godzilla, and it also gave us one of the best versions of both Mothra and Rodan as well. My favorite Rodan is the 56 take and my favorite Mothra is the 64 version, but the 2019 counterparts aren't far behind.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

GuardianGhido wrote: I dunno, sure he might not exactly be on the level of the legends themselves, but I think he still did a great job that comes close. I say he might not exceed them, but his work isn't just incomparably inferior either. (And opinions can vary. I find his the 2nd best after Ifukube.)
Trust me, with as much as you go on about this movie, no one here's gonna find that as a surprise :lol:
Long Live The Sting

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

The score was the best part of the movie. Mileage will vary on how good it stacks compared to other Godzilla films but for me it’s near the top.

Besides that.

Godzilla and Rodan’s designs are terrific. Kg is good. Mothra passable.

Anyways. I could type a novel but I’ll keep it short. Monster designs and music are the highlights for me. Oddly, neither of those have anything to do with the actual direction or script of the film

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

GojiDog wrote:it also gave us one of the best versions of Mothra, my favorite Mothra is the 64 version, but the 2019 counterparts aren't far behind.
With what little screentime she has, Mothra functions as nothing more than a power-up for Godzilla at the end so I'm definitely going to have to disagree with this as well.
Long Live The Sting

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Haha haha.

I just imagine her a giant mushroom now to Godzilla’s Mario.

But that’s totally accurate.

The score made me teary eyed because of my past knowledge and connection to the character ...but the movie doesn’t earn it

Also. Hate the “Predator mouth” on her

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

The new BoC song rendition is incredible. I listen to it almost daily
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

gottatalktothefake wrote:The new BoC song rendition is incredible. I listen to it almost daily
Those orchestral bits and chanting really mesh well with the guitar and vocals IMO. I sang along in all of my viewings (I so wish I could have been at that G Fest Sing-along)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

SteveMartinLives
Yojimbo

Post by SteveMartinLives »

Stump Feet wrote:
GojiDog wrote:it also gave us one of the best versions of Mothra, my favorite Mothra is the 64 version, but the 2019 counterparts aren't far behind.
With what little screentime she has, Mothra functions as nothing more than a power-up for Godzilla at the end so I'm definitely going to have to disagree with this as well.
Wasn't the larval Mothra/ORCA introduction scene and the activity at the Chinese temple a large plot point of the first quarter of the movie? Saying she ONLY served as a power up is a little selective.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

SteveMartinLives wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:
Wasn't the larval Mothra/ORCA introduction scene and the activity at the Chinese temple a large plot point of the first quarter of the movie? Saying she ONLY served as a power up is a little selective.
Also, she helped MONARCH find Godzilla, and defeated Rodan in the final battle.

So, you know, there's that.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.