Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
HannibalBarca
Futurian

Re: Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Postby HannibalBarca » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:02 pm

vibramrunner wrote: If Netflix can make rom-coms a thing again, like they did last summer, why not classic movies? Like fashion, what is old becomes new. If they started a true "classic movies" streaming section I think it would find its niche -- at least enough to justify its existence, along with Netflix's other offerings. I'm in my 30's and could watch The Bad Seed (1956) all day. And a certain other movie released in 1954.

Netflix has a truly absurd amount of marketing data harvested en masse from millions of eager and willing (if unknowing) subscribers. If they saw a reason to start putting stuff from before, like, 1980, on there; they would. Instead, it's a lot easier and more profitable to just hype shovelware that used to go straight to Redbox, along with their own stuff (which is, admittedly, sometimes pretty good).
Last edited by HannibalBarca on Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my opinion, of course.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:39 pm

I have confidence that this film will do just as good if not better then G14 and K:SI given Legendary is taking precautions and not letting KotM's underperformance halt them.

The problem with KotM was being released at the wrong time and Endgame played a crucial part. Plus notice how it wasn't the only movie released near it to not do well? So did others like Detective Pikachu, Shazam! and Lego Movie 2.

So with a movie like Endgame out of the way and despite the competition (Which G14 and K:SI despite their competition did relatively decent making over 500 million) the movie hopefully will perform better.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Postby Godzilla21 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:35 pm

^ its way too early to predict. Everyone (including you Gfan90s) was way off on our predictions.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Godzilla21 wrote:^ its way too early to predict. Everyone (including you Gfan90s) was way off on our predictions.

I suppose. I'm just trying to be optimistic is all and concluding why the last film hadn't done that well.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:17 am

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:^ its way too early to predict. Everyone (including you Gfan90s) was way off on our predictions.

I suppose. I'm just trying to be optimistic is all and concluding why the last film hadn't done that well.

Optimism is appreciated but sometimes it doesn't age well. If nothing else. I sure hope GvK does good at least because it has Kong and is a VS film
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:19 am

GuardianGhido wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

Optimism is appreciated but sometimes it doesn't age well. If nothing else. I sure hope GvK does good at least because it has Kong and is a VS film

Neither does pessimism, just fyi. Realism is best, and realistically it's far too early to predict.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

Gothicserpent
Futurian

Postby Gothicserpent » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:00 pm

I predict $55 mil opening
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:08 pm

Not making predictions till Month of Release.
Sith Apprentice.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Postby Godzilla21 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:26 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:Not making predictions till Month of Release.

Smart
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:55 am

The only prediction I'm making is I know it has to open higher than kotm.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

MorgolKing
Yojimbo

Postby MorgolKing » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:57 am

Last edited by MorgolKing on Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Dv-218 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:30 am

I'm gonna refrain from making predictions until the release date is closer too. But if I had to take any shots in the dark, I will say that atleast GvK has the slight possibility of making more than KOTM based on name value alone. I mean, we're talking about Godzilla and Kong fighting here- that alone will get atleast some of the public slightly interested.

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:20 am

It's way to early for this, we need at-least 1 trailer to start to see the direction this is going in.
That said at this very moment I have low expectations for the box office, despite Godzilla and Kong being in the title.
This might make 120/140$ million domestic, 300/350$ million international. Grand Total of 440$/470$ million worldwide.

I just think this wont pass G-2014 or Skull Island in my opinion. Remember this is based on the fact we have zero trailers and no promotion. Thing's will def change later on.

dillonking55
Yin-Yang Master

Postby dillonking55 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:57 am

Way to early to say, but unless the trailers & marketing are absolute trash, I'm confident in saying GvK is (so far) in a much better position to open bigger than KotM.

Thunderbird
Samurai

Postby Thunderbird » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:39 am

XxComablack1937xX wrote:It's way to early for this, we need at-least 1 trailer to start to see the direction this is going in.
That said at this very moment I have low expectations for the box office, despite Godzilla and Kong being in the title.
This might make 120/140$ million domestic, 300/350$ million international. Grand Total of 440$/470$ million worldwide.

I just think this wont pass G-2014 or Skull Island in my opinion. Remember this is based on the fact we have zero trailers and no promotion. Thing's will def change later on.

I agree with this. I think the fandom underestimates the fickleness of the GA and how anything monster-related all looks the same to them. GKOTM and G vs Kong are just more of what they already saw in G'14, PR, KSI, Rampage, Meg, etc. Unfortunately for Legendary, it could be a case of diminishing returns. Better to cut GvK loose sooner and move on before audience fatigue tanks it worse.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Postby vibramrunner » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:21 am

Curious to see how the new Chucky does. Not the same genre obviously, but has several (7 I believe?) sequels and reboots since its inception. Also currently has the same Metacritic score as KOTM coincidentally. If enough non-Mouse House IPs continue to lag, how long until we might start seeing industry-wide changes?

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:22 am

vibramrunner wrote:Curious to see how the new Chucky does. Not the same genre obviously, but has several (7 I believe?) sequels and reboots since its inception. Also currently has the same Metacritic score as KOTM coincidentally. If enough non-Mouse House IPs continue to lag, how long until we might start seeing industry-wide changes?

What kind of changes?
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:00 pm

Thunderbird wrote:
XxComablack1937xX wrote:It's way to early for this, we need at-least 1 trailer to start to see the direction this is going in.

I agree with this. I think the fandom underestimates the fickleness of the GA and how anything monster-related all looks the same to them. GKOTM and G vs Kong are just more of what they already saw in G'14, PR, KSI, Rampage, Meg, etc. Unfortunately for Legendary, it could be a case of diminishing returns. Better to cut GvK loose sooner and move on before audience fatigue tanks it worse.

I don't think we can really say that. Only one of those movies underperformed, and most of the other movies that came out after Endgame did just as bad if not worse. One flop is not a trend, much less evidence of audience fatigue. We really got to stop over reaching and going all doom and gloom just because of one setback. What is wrong with this fandom?
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Postby vibramrunner » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:04 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
vibramrunner wrote:Curious to see how the new Chucky does. Not the same genre obviously, but has several (7 I believe?) sequels and reboots since its inception. Also currently has the same Metacritic score as KOTM coincidentally. If enough non-Mouse House IPs continue to lag, how long until we might start seeing industry-wide changes?

What kind of changes?

Changes as in, green-lighting less of them I guess. Or maybe being more selective .

dillonking55
Yin-Yang Master

Postby dillonking55 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:08 pm

Doom & Gloom is pretty much on brand for Tohokingdom & the Godzilla fandom as a whole tbh lol.

I agree with everything you are saying. It's too early to say & KotM had alot of factors working against it, but that does not mean it's all diminishing returns for the franchise.

KotM probably would have faired better if it had kept it's original release date. One disappointment is not an end to a franchise & Legendary/WB know that.

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”