Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier

Re: Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Postby Pkmatrix » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:33 am

Hokmuto wrote:The thing that helped G14 was, among other things, the novelty of seeing America try again at making Godzilla with big special effects.

Godzilla vs Kong is in of itself going to be aided thanks to the novelty. Except this time, the general audience who has no clue about the kaiju genre will see this event as the first time it has ever happened. And, as said in the previous statement, they’ll see the film as an event.

Agreed, I think that's something working more in its favor than KOTM had.

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:46 am

I think this will be big. The same people in my everyday life who had absolutely no interest in GKOTM wants to see this one because of the crossover appeal of the 2 monsters. No disrespect to Rodan, Mothra and KG, but King Kong has far more appeal and fame. And like Godzilla is a household name who transcends the genre. (I mean he's starring in a Broadway musical for God's sakes). I can see this hitting $700 M worldwide.

But then again I suck at these things.

I said Godzilla would gross $600M (it was $530M)
I said Kong would gross $400M (It was $566M)
I said GKOTM would gross $600M (it looks like it will be hard pressed to hit even $400M at this point).

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:01 am

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:(I mean he's starring in a Broadway musical for God's sakes)

Huh?! Where?!
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier

Postby Pkmatrix » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:12 am

GuardianGhido wrote:
Shhh! The Octopus wrote:(I mean he's starring in a Broadway musical for God's sakes)

Huh?! Where?!

Literally ON Broadway: at the Broadway Theater, 1681 Broadway in Manhattan. It's been playing since last October.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Postby vibramrunner » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:13 am

GuardianGhido wrote:

Huh?! Where?!

https://kingkongbroadway.com/#subscribe

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:14 am

Oh wow, you think this will give GvK a boost then?
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier

Postby Pkmatrix » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:20 am

GuardianGhido wrote:Oh wow, you think this will give GvK a boost then?

I don't know about the musical specifically giving GvK a boost, but it proves the point that Kong is bankable on his own like Godzilla is. Godzilla and Kong together is going to be a good draw for people, as many MANY people are unaware that the original KKvG was ever a thing.

Anguirus
G-Grasper

Postby Anguirus » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:06 am

I hope WB won’t “dump” this movie given its the last Monsterverse movie! ( a la Paramount with Captain America: First Avengers and Rise of the Guardians) “Or not giving the film their full marketing potential”

Godzilla21
Keizer

Postby Godzilla21 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:09 am

Anguirus wrote:I hope WB won’t “dump” this movie given its the last Monsterverse movie! ( a la Paramount with Captain America: First Avengers and Rise of the Guardians) “Or not giving the film their full marketing potential”

Its going straight to Netflix. Sorry bud
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Godzilla21 wrote:
Anguirus wrote:I hope WB won’t “dump” this movie given its the last Monsterverse movie! ( a la Paramount with Captain America: First Avengers and Rise of the Guardians) “Or not giving the film their full marketing potential”

Its going straight to Netflix. Sorry bud

Nope, they'll make Dougherty come door to door with Blu Ray copies and apologies for $30.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

Gooblamon
Yojimbo

Postby Gooblamon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:11 pm

I'm already tired of it and I can only imagine how much I will be if god forbid Godzilla vs Kong is a huge success; this notion that Kong is a money maker and Godzilla isn't, that maybe Godzilla vs Kong will do better because of Kong. Kong this, Kong that...f*ck Kong!

Need I remind people that Godzilla (2014) opened with $93 million, far outpacing Kong's $61 million. That shows that the potential for huge success based on Godzilla IS very possible, because it already happened. KOTM is simply suffering the consequences of the general audiences' reaction to 2014 - not to mention the marketing was honestly, meh. There were absolutely no character moments or interesting dialogue in any promotional material for KOTM, unlike 2014. They instead marketed it as your average, popcorn blockbuster with incredibly awful dialogue in every trailer/tv spot and I honestly don't understand why. Seriously, what was their obsession with "My God...zilla, that's messed up, damn right"? It was baffling. Let's just all hope and pray that Godzilla vs Kong's marketing is far superior and doesn't have any of those one liners (terrible ones), in the marketing or in the film itself.
Last edited by Gooblamon on Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:31 pm

Gooblamon wrote:I'm already tired of it and I can only imagine how much I will be if god forbid Godzilla vs Kong is a huge success; this notion that Kong is a money maker and Godzilla isn't, that maybe Godzilla vs Kong will do better because of Kong. Kong this, Kong that...f*ck Kong!

Need I remind people that Godzilla (2014) opened with $93 million, far outpacing Kong's $61 million. That shows that the potential for huge success based on Godzilla IS very possible, because it already happened. KOTM is simply suffering the consequences of the general audiences' reaction to 2014 - not to mention the marketing was honestly, meh. There were absolutely no character moments or interesting dialogue in any promotional material for KOTM, unlike 2014. They instead marketed it as your average, popcorn blockbuster with incredibly awful dialogue in every trailer/tv spot and I honestly don't understand why. Seriously, what was their obsession with "My God...zilla, that's messed up, damn right"? It was baffling. Let's just all hope and pray that Godzilla vs Kong's marketing is far superior and doesn't have any of those one liners (terrible ones), in the marketing or in the film itself.

Ehh, I wouldn`t take so much issue with Kong being the bigger star. To be quite honest, he is, and no one ever denied that really. Kong is the OG. I have a strong feeling Godzilla vs. Kong will be moderately succuessful and theyll just make a second Kong film with maybe some Toho monsters cameoing (a badass remake of the original draft of Godzilla vs. the SeaMonster anyone? :mrgreen: )
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Anguirus
G-Grasper

Postby Anguirus » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:12 pm

Yeah the quips in this movie were awful, I hope WB learns from this and cuts them from KVG. They disjointed the dark tone. I won’t be surprised if that affects the film’s legs.

MorgolKing
Yojimbo

Postby MorgolKing » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:22 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Gooblamon wrote:I'm already tired of it and I can only imagine how much I will be if god forbid Godzilla vs Kong is a huge success; this notion that Kong is a money maker and Godzilla isn't, that maybe Godzilla vs Kong will do better because of Kong. Kong this, Kong that...f*ck Kong!

Ehh, I wouldn`t take so much issue with Kong being the bigger star. To be quite honest, he is, and no one ever denied that really. Kong is the OG. I have a strong feeling Godzilla vs. Kong will be moderately succuessful and theyll just make a second Kong film with maybe some Toho monsters cameoing (a badass remake of the original draft of Godzilla vs. the SeaMonster anyone? :mrgreen: )

Originality doesn't equate to being a bigger star. I think the OW numbers for both films reflect where the interest was. Kong Skull Island got a boost from numbers in China when the market wasn't open for G14, but other than that G14 was better received across the board based solely on ticket sales.

Gothicserpent
Futurian

Postby Gothicserpent » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:22 pm

It will do better then KOTM but not enough to save the Monsterverse.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Cookson
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Cookson » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:42 pm

Yeah I don’t even know honestly. I thought KotM was going to hit 600WW but might not even get to 400.

GvsKong hopefully will feel like an “event” film... pure novelty to get people to watch.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:59 pm

I really think Endgame doing so much hurt everything up till Spiderman. Godzilla vs Kong should do better by default.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

Hokmuto
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Hokmuto » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:09 pm

miguelnuva wrote:I really think Endgame doing so much hurt everything up till Spiderman. Godzilla vs Kong should do better by default.

Yeah, Endgame drained the pockets of everyone which had an impact on the other films.
Long Live The King

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:31 pm

Hokmuto wrote:Yeah, Endgame drained the pockets of everyone which had an impact on the other films.

That's what I've been saying. A few movies funnily enough hadn't been doing good alongside Godzilla 2.

Shazam!, Lego Movie 2, Detective Pikachu (Which should had been an obvious billion dollar hit or at least close given Pokemon's popularity), Missing Link, Hellboy (Though that one was obvious).

Coincidence? :?

Estimates are even saying Dark Phoenix and Secret Life of Pets 2 not doing too as well.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gothicserpent
Futurian

Postby Gothicserpent » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:34 pm

miguelnuva wrote:I really think Endgame doing so much hurt everything up till Spiderman. Godzilla vs Kong should do better by default.

Eh, not entirely. I just think Godzilla really isn't popular among the GA sadly.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”