Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by NSZ »

I'm calling trite nonsense. If that were true, Legendary wouldn't be celebrating it being a financial success.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Dunno if this is old news, but it’s hit $70 mil now. I know i’ve said this about a billion times already, but it’s a fan-fuckin’-tastic time to be a kaiju/toku fan
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

MK doesn't seem to have distracted the GA from Kongs advertisement as well. They're pulling out all the stops with the ads, toys and tie ins. Not to mention fans going crazy with their theories and animations.

Toho even recently announced a ride with the MV Godzilla and Ghidorah. I think we're in the green already.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

Forbes is projecting something like a ~$430M run for GvK.

I suppose I’d be content with that.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:26 am Honestly I'll be happy if it reach $400+million
Same here.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

MorgolKing wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:40 pm This article indicates that insiders claim WB paid Legendary simply its costs on the project in exchange for the rights to the entire movie, which would mean Legendary gets no profit from it.

I really hope this is incorrect as I want Legendary to profit from it taking a chance on the MV and having motivation to continue it.

https://deadline.com/2021/04/godzilla-v ... 234732050/
The article says Legendary is getting some profits from fees, though, not that it's getting nothing.

I see no reason to question the article, and to me explains why both studios appear so happy. Legendary is thrilled because they made back their money plus a little on top, which is motivating them to continue. Warner Brothers is thrilled because even after spending an extra $120M on top of what they'd already invested (which sounds like was over $100M to begin with) their gamble paid off with the movie being profitable at the box office and a huge success for HBO Max. Why would anyone be upset?
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

Are we gonna hit 400M by the end of the week?

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

ultrazilla wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:23 am Are we gonna hit 400M by the end of the week?
most likely by next Friday

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

They also spent only $70M on promo for GvK which is so low (due to many theatres and regions being closed for the pandemic). They are making a killing. Legendary spent $120M making the movie and WB spent $40M. So, pretty much everything over $230M in revenue is straight profit (and all that is not even mentioning the HBO Max deal).

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

Do we know what other markets besides Japan and Brazil have to yet to open cinemas (and when they do), particularly the ones in Western Europe?

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

obZen wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:45 pm Forbes is projecting something like a ~$430M run for GvK.

I suppose I’d be content with that.
That would be outstanding given the current state of things.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

obZen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:30 pm Do we know what other markets besides Japan and Brazil have to yet to open cinemas (and when they do), particularly the ones in Western Europe?
According to IMDB (which is usually pretty good about release dates):

Slovakia: 22 April 2021
Sweden: 28 April 2021
Netherlands: 29 April 2021
Italy: 6 May 2021 (internet)
Bulgaria: 7 May 2021
Lithuania: 7 May 2021
Japan: 14 May 2021
France: 19 May 2021
Ukraine: 20 May 2021

So it looks like the two biggest ones, Japan and France, won't be until mid-May.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

Awesome, thanks for that info!

Added in 4 minutes 49 seconds:
I read Brazil has a humanitarian crisis on their hands right now, so naturally I presume at this point theaters to be remained closed indefinitely.

I’m assuming UK cinemas have since began opening again...

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Predicted to make 10m domestically this weekend. That would be a extremely good hold.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

(It's been a long time since I've been here.)

It'll definitely end above $400 million. Not bad with these circumstances. I think $500 million is a stretch, as the domestic box office is still in tatters, and it would have needed to pull its own weight for a $500 million WW cume. Godzilla vs. Kong is being aided mainly by international dollars.

All things considered, I'd say it's a hit.
Last edited by Showa Gyaos on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Showa Gyaos wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:15 pm (It's been a long time since I've been here.)

It'll definitely end above $400 million. Not bad with these circumstances. I think $500 million is a stretch, as the domestic box office is still in tatters, and it would have needed to pull its own weight for a $500 million WW cume. Godzilla vs. Kong is being aided mainly by international dollars.

It’s all about China. I know Toho is probably against producing films that would release in China, but if Toho could work out a deal with China or a Chinese movie studio to release Toho films there Godzilla films would be safe pretty much forever.... imagine a 30 million dollar produced Godzilla film by Toho every 2-3 years that does its thing in Japan and makes 50m+ in China. That really needs to be Tohos goal. We all know without China these Monsterverse films would be pretty much box office bombs.

It’s time for Toho to think outside the box. They’re showing signs of doing this, but they could make Godzilla really a special thing if they pushed uncomfortable deals.
Last edited by Cookson on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Cookson wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:20 pm
Showa Gyaos wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:15 pm (It's been a long time since I've been here.)

It’s all about China. I know Toho is probably against producing films that would release in China, but if Toho could work out a deal with China or a Chinese movie studio to release Toho films there Godzilla films would be safe pretty much forever.... imagine a 30 million dollar produced Godzilla film by Toho every 2-3 years that does its thing in Japan and makes 50m+ in China. That really needs to be Tohos goal. We all know without China these Monsterverse films would be pretty much box office bombs.

It’s time for Toho to think outside the box. They’re showing signs of doing this, but they could make Godzilla really a special thing if they pushed uncomfortable deals.
I don't know if China would work with Toho. China and Japan still have bad blood.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:28 pm
Cookson wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:20 pm

I don't know if China would work with Toho. China and Japan still have bad blood.
Yup I totally understand that. It’s a gateway to endless Godzilla lore that’s easily profitable IF they can look beyond their issues.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Pkmatrix wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:52 am
obZen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:30 pm Do we know what other markets besides Japan and Brazil have to yet to open cinemas (and when they do), particularly the ones in Western Europe?
According to IMDB (which is usually pretty good about release dates):

Slovakia: 22 April 2021
Sweden: 28 April 2021
Netherlands: 29 April 2021
Italy: 6 May 2021 (internet)
Bulgaria: 7 May 2021
Lithuania: 7 May 2021
Japan: 14 May 2021
France: 19 May 2021
Ukraine: 20 May 2021

So it looks like the two biggest ones, Japan and France, won't be until mid-May.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ecranl ... france.amp

GvK will not be released in theaters in France. Will be out in VOD services from April 22.

I wonder what is going on in Germany.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

China is where most studios make their money now anyway.