Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
JGAR
Futurian

Re: Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by JGAR »

HannibalBarca wrote:I hope you're right, but "superhero movie with Game of Thrones guy" is a much easier sell, theoretically, than whatever GvK ends up going for.
For what is worth, the Eternals comics barely sold millions, and with an LGBTQ protagonist involved, the film might get banned in key markets like Russia or China. The biggest pull in that movie is Angelina Jolie more than anything.
Last edited by JGAR on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yooo 8-)

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

HannibalBarca wrote:I hope you're right, but "superhero movie with Game of Thrones guy" is a much easier sell, theoretically, than whatever GvK ends up going for.
"King Kong is fighting Godzilla the nuclear lizard"

Added in 1 minute 30 seconds:
JGAR wrote:
For what is worth, the Eternals comics barely sold millions, and with an LGBTQ protagonist involved, the film might get banned in key markets like Russia or China. The biggest pull in that movie is Angelina Jolie more than anything.
The only issue is, i'm sure they're going to connect Eternals to X-Men
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

JGAR wrote:
I honestly kinda wonder if Disney's gonna force them to cut that out so they can get more money from China.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

JGAR wrote:Godzilla vs Kong is such an underdog of a film.

A lot of people, particularly on box office forums, are expecting it to bomb because of KOTM. Seems like everyone forgot about Aquaman being a comeback after Justice League.

I hope it proves them wrong.
That's because Aquaman is a superhero film that GA are attained too nowadays given its popularity thanks to the MCU. There's a difference between that and giant monsters which people apparently sees as an stigma (Which I blame the Showa Godzilla films for).
JGAR wrote:For what is worth, the Eternals comics barely sold millions, and with an LGBTQ protagonist involved, the film might get banned in key markets like Russia or China. The biggest pull in that movie is Angelina Jolie more than anything.
Why do people keep forgetting about Guardians which was unknown to the GA besides hardcore Marvel fans prior to its first movie? Even then people were only drawn in due to MCU being labelled on it. Same reason people will be drawn into Eternals.

Added in 8 minutes 25 seconds:
That said I expect Godzilla vs. Kong to do a bit better but not by much. Still predicting $400+ million.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
JGAR wrote:Godzilla vs Kong is such an underdog of a film.

A lot of people, particularly on box office forums, are expecting it to bomb because of KOTM. Seems like everyone forgot about Aquaman being a comeback after Justice League.

I hope it proves them wrong.
That's because Aquaman is a superhero film that GA are attained too nowadays given its popularity thanks to the MCU. There's a difference between that and giant monsters which people apparently sees as an stigma (Which I blame the Showa Godzilla films for).
JGAR wrote:For what is worth, the Eternals comics barely sold millions, and with an LGBTQ protagonist involved, the film might get banned in key markets like Russia or China. The biggest pull in that movie is Angelina Jolie more than anything.
Why do people keep forgetting about Guardians which was unknown to the GA besides hardcore Marvel fans prior to its first movie? Even then people were only drawn in due to MCU being labelled on it. Same reason people will be drawn into Eternals.
The point is Aquaman followed Justice League, which had horrendous reception and even lost money at the box office. A lot of people thought Aquaman was gonna do the same, with the most optimistic analysts predicting half of what it did at box office. Many thought that Mary Poppins Returns was gonna win the holidays, but it didn’t.

Godzilla vs. Kong is a crossover movie, and those ALWAYS make a lot of money and get a ton of attention (didn’t the announcement of GvK get mentioned in the news?). Jason vs. Freddy is the highest grossing film for Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street, and it followed the lowest grossing films of both franchises. Same case for Alien vs. Predator. Batman v Superman is the highest grossing movie for Superman and would’ve been the same for Batman had it been a good movie.

As for Eternals, we’ll have to see how it looks with its trailer but while it’s safe to not doubt the MCU, it’s not always the king of the box office as seen with movies like Ant Man and Doctor Strange. It won’t have an Avengers push like Black Panther and Captain Marvel had, and I don’t think the source material has something out of the ordinary and attractive to kids like Rocket Raccoon and Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy.

Also the actors from GOT aren’t box office draws, even Jason Momoa himself has had more flops than successes. Yes he was Aquaman but Sophie Turner starred in Dark Phoenix and she was a bigger name, bigger star, and was in the show much longer than him. I don’t get people’s fascination with Kit Harrington and Richard Madden like it they’re gonna impact the box office.
Last edited by JGAR on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yooo 8-)

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

You can say that now but don't lower your expectations...Not being pessimistic or anything just being cautious given KotM's performance and how we expected it was gonna do as good as the last two.

Believe me if I don't say it but I hope I'm wrong.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

HannibalBarca wrote:”superhero movie with Game of Thrones guy" is a much easier sell
We thought so too and then KoTM bombed
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

G2000 wrote:
HannibalBarca wrote:”superhero movie with Game of Thrones guy" is a much easier sell
Exactly my point. No cause for optimism. What's the banner ad for GvK? "Guy from Generation Kill"?
In my opinion, of course.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:You can say that now but don't lower your expectations...Not being pessimistic or anything just being cautious given KotM's performance and how we expected it was gonna do as good as the last two.

Believe me if I don't say it but I hope I'm wrong.
Kotm was Godzilla alone and it was following Endgame and Aladdin with Spiderman, Toy Story and Lion King on its legs.

As unexpected as Kotm did there would have to be an old day in hell for Godzilla vs Kong to not hit 500m.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

HannibalBarca wrote:
G2000 wrote:
Exactly my point. No cause for optimism. What's the banner ad for GvK? "Guy from Generation Kill"?
Like i said earlier, "Godzilla the radioactive icon vs Kong New Yorks 8th wonder of the world", who cares about who headlines?

G14 was "Dad from Malcolm in the Middle", and it did fine.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

G2000 wrote:
It didn't bomb.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

miguelnuva wrote:
G2000 wrote:
It didn't bomb.
Yeah it didn't bomb.

There's been multiple films this year that actually bombed, KOTM wasn't one of them.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote: Like i said earlier, "Godzilla the radioactive icon vs Kong New Yorks 8th wonder of the world", who cares about who headlines?

G14 was "Dad from Malcolm in the Middle", and it did fine.
G14 was hyped because it was the first Godzilla film in nearly a decade (and for non-fans the first in even longer) and the first film of its type since Cloverfield. And Cranston was still riding on the enormous success of Breaking Bad. That may not have been crucial to the film’s success but it helped.

I’d say normally “Godzilla vs. Kong” is enough to get butts in seats but the problem here is that the last Godzilla (and most recent in this series) dramatically underperformed compared to even moderate estimates. And that was with heavy advertising.

I think it’s too early to predict this film’s box office, especially based on earlier films’ successes and failures, but I’d lean more towards “not good” based on recent history and what we know about this movie (delayed an entire year for unknown reasons). But ultimately it will depend on how well it’s advertised.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Still withdrawing till we get news. If the film was still coming out in March i would have said something though.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

_JNavs_ wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
G2000 wrote:
It didn't bomb.
Yeah it didn't bomb.

There's been multiple films this year that actually bombed, KOTM wasn't one of them.
It underperformed. Would’ve broken even had it grossed more than $425M.
Yooo 8-)

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

HannibalBarca wrote:
G2000 wrote:
Godzilla fighting King Kong.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

If the idea of a rematch between two iconic movie monsters alone isn't enough to grab the GA's attention then I don't know what will since we now live in a time where superhero movies are now the norm and it's a regular thing to see them interact with each other whereas seeing Godzilla fighting King Kong again is an idea none of us figured we'd see again but Legendary is making it possible again so you'd think that would be the big thing that'll grab people's attention for a least a good couple of months if not years. But then again we'd figured KOTM would do wonders since it brought more Toho monsters into an American made monster universe but it didn't so I'm expecting the same thing for GvK sadly. Fingers crossed that we're proven wrong though in GvK's case.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

kaijuguy19 wrote:If the idea of a rematch between two iconic movie monsters alone isn't enough to grab the GA's attention then I don't know what will since we now live in a time where superhero movies are now the norm and it's a regular thing to see them interact with each other whereas seeing Godzilla fighting King Kong again is an idea none of us figured we'd see again but Legendary is making it possible again so you'd think that would be the big thing that'll grab people's attention for a least a good couple of months if not years. But then again we'd figured KOTM would do wonders since it brought more Toho monsters into an American made monster universe but it didn't so I'm expecting the same thing for GvK sadly. Fingers crossed that we're proven wrong though in GvK's case.
This I hate how superheroes (And anything labelled with Disney for that matter) has pretty much stolen the spotlight for everything. Unless a movie isn't about superheroes any movie is bound to not do well, not as well or simply bomb.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

https://www.boxofficepro.com/the-15-mov ... e-in-2020/

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/box- ... 203458263/

Box office pro seems to have faith in the film. The experts at Variety, not so much. I wonder what Forbes has to say when the time comes for them to weigh in a prediction.
Yooo 8-)

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

All they gotta do (when it comes to having a strong opening weekend at least) is have sane marketing as even Varietty seems to insinuate. Have a trailer as good as KOTM’s first trailer except release it maybe 6-4 months before the movies release
Last edited by Hokmuto on Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The King